Supply chain sources again point to Apple's 'iPhone 7 Plus' having 3GB of RAM

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    wizard69 said:
    If the added DRAM equates to big benchmark scores that dominant the competition, translating to real-world usability improvements, I'm all for the added expense. Apple typically does not engage rivals, like Samsung, in the specs game, but in this case, if it shows the world that Apple knows how to effectively harness the added power, unlike its rivals, bring it! 
    ... Beyond that hat the demand for RAM has absolutely nothing to do with Samsung or any imagined spec game you might believe is being played. The desire for more RAM comes from the developer community that actually understands how a computer works!!!! ...
    What? Memory is benchmarked. How else does one compare RAM? Generally, add more and the system function more efficiently. Simple really. Whenever I add additional RAM to my stock machines there's real usability gains that are certainly benchmarkable. Faster load and run times, etc. I do appreciate your expertise, because I'm a computer science amature at best. I enjoying learning from the community. Tho, you could have come off a little less condescending and still get your point across.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 22 of 40
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Any way Phil Schiller can get people to spend $100 more he will. But I think the time will come when Apple has to be more competitive on price. It's no longer the case that all competitor phones are crap. A lot of competitors flagship devices are actually quite good. I would even argue there are Android OEM phones that have as good if not better camera than the iPhone. Galaxy Note 7 starts at 64GB RAM and includes 15GB free cloud storage. Will Apple trying to compete with that or will they once again try and find a way to get more money out of customers, like charging $29 for a headphone jack adapter or putting lightning headphones in the box and offering for a premium nicer wireless earbuds?
    you're asking whether Apple is going to charge for added features like doing so was anything other than the way our entire economy works. 

if they put lightning headphones in the box, why in god's name wouldn't they charge for a wireless pair? does Samsung give out free wireless headphones in addition to wired?

most people don't need the various adapters Apple supplies. that's why they're optional adapters, why they don't hand them out to everyone, and why they cost money. 

or...it's all an evil conspiracy by a mustache-twirling Schiller designed to personally screw you. yeah. 
    No I'm saying a pair of cheap lightning headphones will be in the box so Apple can upsell you to an expensive pair of wireless. And the headphone jack isn't just any old port and is probably more in use than any other port Apple has recently ditched. I guess everyone that uses a Mac or iPad will have to spring for an adapter or set of wireless buds (or just not use the headphones in the box). But hey that's good for Apple as it can show a nice bump in "other" revenue, right?
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 23 of 40
    mackymoto said:
    The photo shows no jack for an audio mini-plug, which I know is not new news. But I have to say I'm really annoyed about the lack of a standard mini-plug for audio. What exactly is Apple accomplishing here? Saving $0.02 on parts and manufacturing? Diminishing the thickness of the iPhone by 0.5mm? Extending the battery life by 10 mins? Do they think it will be so cool and modern and advanced? Or are they just trying to line the pockets of themselves and the iPhone ecosystem by forcing people to yet again buy more cable adapters.

I feel like Apple is making this change just for the sake of making changes. So that the "new" iPhone can add one more feature to the reportedly short list of new features (although I would debate the change being called a "feature").

I'm really glad Apple doesn't run our nation's electrical grid. Otherwise we be buying all new appliances ever few years because Apple would keep changing the size of our electrical outlets.

By the way, I love Apple, I always have. I just question how this is a benefit to their customers.
    When they came out with Lightning on the iPhone 5, my (not so bright) friend immediately exclaimed, "See, that's how they get you!" To which I pointed at his iPhone and said, "No, that's how they get you. Do you like your iPhone?" "Yeah." "Do you want them to keep making it better?" "Yeah."
    No one has given a compelling reason for why losing the headphone jack is better. The best one has come up with is making the phone more water resistant but that's already happening with the headphone jack still there. 
    cnocbuinetmagebaconstangsingularityRobJenk
  • Reply 24 of 40
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,424member
    Let's hope it's not a mere "are we still in 2012?" 3GB of RAM!  

I've loved Apple products since my Mac 128k in 1984 and I've never owned an Android or Windows computer (although I've used Windows).  I'm as loyal to Apple as they come, although no stranger to being critical of Apple when they deserve it.  And yet, just last night I, a lover of all things Apple, found myself watching YouTube videos on the Samsung (blasted that rip-off artist!) Galaxy Note 7, which not only has 4GB of RAM but it's waterproof too, and includes a stylus, not to mention the rather attractive screen tech used, covered in Gorilla Glass 5.  The thing even has a retina scanner for security.  I then read where some people were hoping for 6GB of RAM in that model but probably SAMSUNG will include 6GB in the next version.  And here we are in the Apple camp expecting a mere 3GB of RAM in the iPhone 7.  The iPhone 7.  Seven.  This year.  2016.  And it probably won't be waterproof either.  And it certainly won't have a built-in stylus for drawing.

Some here may criticize me for not worshipping Apple and praising the status quo of mediocrity, but that's ok.  I choose to Think Different.  I prefer to be WOWed like the good old days when Steve Jobs was around.  I miss Steve.
    johnbearsingularityRobJenk
  • Reply 25 of 40
    No one has given a compelling reason for why losing the headphone jack is better. The best one has come up with is making the phone more water resistant but that's already happening with the headphone jack still there. 
    I'll try: 
    Mind you, purely speculating here. The upcoming iPhone is technically a new chassis design. Apple plans to introduce a new exciting feature. This feature has a hardware component, which displaces physical space. After much iterations of potential chassis design, Apple's hardware design team decides on a compromise where the AUX port is removed in favor of appropriating the space for new hardware. But it's not a big deal, Apple has been planning for this day for years. They'll be able to disguise the compromise as a benefit for users. This could be achieved by introducing new APIs developers can take advantage of. Software developers using the APIs could gain access to new sensors built into the alleged Lighting EarPods, like measuring heart rate, temperature, and respiration rate. Hardware companies to develop novel peripheral devices with all features yet to be imagined. The absence of an analog, status quo port forces the industry to go all digital and realize the potential of the Lightning port. And all is well in the world. A nice little ending, huh?

Yes, technically Apple does not need to get rid of the analogy port to release new batch of APIs, but there may have been a real compromise that Apple had to make, one that was planned for years, waiting for an appropriate time, where the tech is available, and all the cards are in line to turn the compromise into a hit. There will always comprises in good design. 
  • Reply 26 of 40
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    When they came out with Lightning on the iPhone 5, my (not so bright) friend immediately exclaimed, "See, that's how they get you!" To which I pointed at his iPhone and said, "No, that's how they get you. Do you like your iPhone?" "Yeah." "Do you want them to keep making it better?" "Yeah."
    I love that 'so they can make it waterproof' argument.  It looks like Samsung have added a torpedo tube to the Note 7.

doozydozenbaconstangsingularity
  • Reply 27 of 40
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Any way Phil Schiller can get people to spend $100 more he will. But I think the time will come when Apple has to be more competitive on price. It's no longer the case that all competitor phones are crap. A lot of competitors flagship devices are actually quite good. I would even argue there are Android OEM phones that have as good if not better camera than the iPhone. Galaxy Note 7 starts at 64GB RAM and includes 15GB free cloud storage. Will Apple trying to compete with that or will they once again try and find a way to get more money out of customers, like charging $29 for a headphone jack adapter or putting lightning headphones in the box and offering for a premium nicer wireless earbuds?
    you're asking whether Apple is going to charge for added features like doing so was anything other than the way our entire economy works. 

if they put lightning headphones in the box, why in god's name wouldn't they charge for a wireless pair? does Samsung give out free wireless headphones in addition to wired?

most people don't need the various adapters Apple supplies. that's why they're optional adapters, why they don't hand them out to everyone, and why they cost money. 

or...it's all an evil conspiracy by a mustache-twirling Schiller designed to personally screw you. yeah. 
    Ahhheeem.

Apple sent me an email 2 days ago:
    You’ll get a pair of Beats Solo2 Wireless Headphones when you buy a Mac for university. And save up to €227 with Apple education pricing.1

• Reply 28 of 40
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,458member
    netrox said:
    I have the feeling that iphone 8 will no longer have the RAM as the flash storage will be 3D XPoint.
    I could see say 1Gb traditional RAM with 2Gb 3D xPoint as fast read storage fast write user data. Then when the device sleeps they can just switch off the DRAM all the flushable cache just disappear with no cost.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    finally the iPhone of 2016 catches up with Samy Note 3 of 2013;)
    singularity
  • Reply 30 of 40
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    johnbear said:
    Funny that even the latest Sammy phone of 2016 can not beat 2013 iPhone responsiveness. Little advise for you, spec means nothing.
    edited August 2016 baconstangnolamacguy
  • Reply 31 of 40
    kevin kee said:
    johnbear said:
    Funny that even the latest Sammy phone of 2016 can not beat 2013 iPhone responsiveness. Little advise for you, spec means nothing.
    Really? Based on what tests?
    johnbearsingularity
  • Reply 32 of 40
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    kevin kee said:
    Really? Based on what tests?
    User experience beats all kind of lab tests, which are meaningless for average user. You use your phone, not test it on lab.
    edited August 2016 singularitynolamacguy
  • Reply 33 of 40
    wizard69 said:
      The desire for more RAM comes from the developer community that actually understands how a computer works!!!!   
    Lazy programming more like.
    Back in the day we could run a full real time flight simulator (with all the Real Aircraft hardware connected) plus have people doing development on the same single CPU 256KHz System with 192Kb of RAM we knew how to squeeze every bit of CPU performance and there was no wasted code. Now I look at code produced by graduates and wonder at the wastefulness of it all.
    I recently took one Application and 're-worked' it. The result was faster, smaller and a more maintainable codebase. The original developer is now fully aware of how bad his original style was.
    with IoT devices having pretty limited resources, this will come into its own in the near future.
    YMMV but please don't tell me that most CS grads know how a computer works. They simply don't.
    When they have written their own OS or deep dived into the Kernel or written device drivers from scratch they do start to understand how it works and the relationship between the software and the hardware. Most modern languages are totally hardware agnostic.

nolamacguy
  • Reply 34 of 40
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,310member
    Got the new Bose QC 35 wireless headphones just in time for the upcoming iPhone 7. Awesome headphones!
    https://www.bose.com/en_us/index.html

• Reply 35 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    netrox said:
    I have the feeling that iphone 8 will no longer have the RAM as the flash storage will be 3D XPoint.
    That would be spectacular, but Intel’s own projections put mass production further out than that, and think of the volume the iPhone would need.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    jdw said:
    Let's hope it's not a mere "are we still in 2012?" 3GB of RAM!  

I've loved Apple products since my Mac 128k in 1984 and I've never owned an Android or Windows computer (although I've used Windows).  I'm as loyal to Apple as they come, although no stranger to being critical of Apple when they deserve it.  And yet, just last night I, a lover of all things Apple, found myself watching YouTube videos on the Samsung (blasted that rip-off artist!) Galaxy Note 7, which not only has 4GB of RAM but it's waterproof too, and includes a stylus, not to mention the rather attractive screen tech used, covered in Gorilla Glass 5.  The thing even has a retina scanner for security.  I then read where some people were hoping for 6GB of RAM in that model but probably SAMSUNG will include 6GB in the next version.  And here we are in the Apple camp expecting a mere 3GB of RAM in the iPhone 7.  The iPhone 7.  Seven.  This year.  2016.  And it probably won't be waterproof either.  And it certainly won't have a built-in stylus for drawing.

Some here may criticize me for not worshipping Apple and praising the status quo of mediocrity, but that's ok.  I choose to Think Different.  I prefer to be WOWed like the good old days when Steve Jobs was around.  I miss Steve.
    Same here, had iPhones changing every year since 2008 but I'm lately getting tired of this sacralized product and customer support. last night I've been watching and lusting for the Note 7 online too. Last week I had the chance of holding for the first time an old Note 3 in my hand and I realized how cool a 2013 phone can be, now just thinking how awesome this Note 7 is with plenty of ram, newer OS with many customization options, spectacular screen resolution, edge to edge display, headphone jack, gorgeous overall built and 256GB microSD bonus!!!!! 
    RobJenk
  • Reply 37 of 40
    drewys808 said:
    mackymoto said:
    Or are they just trying to line the pockets of themselves and the iPhone ecosystem by forcing people to yet again buy more cable adapters.
    Yes, Einstein. You nailed it. Mulder and Scully can just go home. ...said every troll that every graced our presence.
    To be clear... I'm not a troll. My first Apple purchase was in 1983, an Apple IIe which I still have and still works. Since then I have bought over $200,000 worth of Apple goods and services. I own Apple stock, and have for 20 years. Stuck with it through the tough times and the good. I'm an Apple enthusiast and advocate. I am very passionate about Apple, and I want to see them continue to succeed, but only want them to make changes that truly improve the user experience and provide a value not just to Apple but to their customers as well. The fact that no one yet has been able to provide a good reason for the change away from the standard audio mini-plug makes me question their motives. It's important for folks like ourselves who are dedicated to Apple to question something if necessary, to in some small way remind Apple that they did not get to be the greatest company on earth by taking advantage of their customers, it was by making products the were insanely great and vastly easier to use.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

No dumb dumb I'm saying a pair of cheap lightning headphones will be in the box so Apple can upsell you to an expensive pair of wireless. And the headphone jack isn't just any old port and is probably more in use than any other port Apple has recently ditched. I guess everyone that uses a Mac or iPad will have to spring for an adapter or set of wireless buds (or just not use the headphones in the box). But hey that's good for Apple as it can show a nice bump in "other" revenue, right?
    really -- you're calling to resort to calling me names now? total troll tool move. you lost the argument.

regardless.. if apple supplies a pair of free headphones that are as adequate as any headphones provided with any phone, i really see no problem with them charging extra for their premium pair. again, that is the entire foundation of how the economy works. look it up.

but whatever you do, just dont ever go into business for yourself.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 39 of 40
    cnocbui said:

Ahhheeem.

Apple sent me an email 2 days ago:

You’ll get a pair of Beats Solo2 Wireless Headphones when you buy a Mac for university. And save up to €227 with Apple education pricing.1

and? an educational promo designed to put a popular Apple-owned brand into the hands of students means what, specifically? that has no bearing on why rogifan feels entitled to free premium headphones stuck inside every single iPhone from now on. it doesnt support his entitlement whatsoever.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 40 of 40
    mackymoto said:
    drewys808 said:
    Yes, Einstein. You nailed it. Mulder and Scully can just go home. ...said every troll that every graced our presence.
    To be clear... I'm not a troll. My first Apple purchase was in 1983, an Apple IIe which I still have and still works. Since then I have bought over $200,000 worth of Apple goods and services. I own Apple stock, and have for 20 years. Stuck with it through the tough times and the good. I'm an Apple enthusiast and advocate. I am very passionate about Apple, and I want to see them continue to succeed, but only want them to make changes that truly improve the user experience and provide a value not just to Apple but to their customers as well. The fact that no one yet has been able to provide a good reason for the change away from the standard audio mini-plug makes me question their motives. It's important for folks like ourselves who are dedicated to Apple to question something if necessary, to in some small way remind Apple that they did not get to be the greatest company on earth by taking advantage of their customers, it was by making products the were insanely great and vastly easier to use.
    what on earth are you talking about? for such a die hard fan, we shouldn't have to remind you of the obvious -- none of us work for apple! this is a rumor site, where anonymous blowhards discuss things they know nothing about, often from the entire other side of the country or world from Apple HQ. why would you expect to hear apple's reasoning here? more, how would the obvious lack of hearing that on a rumor site cause you to question their motives, after decades of being delighted by their motives?

sorry dude, but them's some obvious Troll Tropes.
    doozydozendrewys808