Apple working on Apple TV guide for streaming content

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2016
As part of efforts to build out its Apple TV product offering, Apple is reportedly developing a universal digital viewing guide for streaming services, like a traditional TV guide but for apps.

According to Recode, Apple is looking to provide Apple TV users with a list of programs available through tvOS apps like HBO, Netflix and ESPN, among others.

The idea appears to be an offshoot of Apple TV's Siri-powered universal search feature, but with additional features that would negate the need to visit a specific app to view its content. Further, the solution could be cross-platform, as Apple might bring the guide concept to other devices like iPhone, the report said.

Citing industry sources, the report goes on to say Apple is already in talks with content owners over collecting metadata for the universal guide. While specific details relating to a user interface went unmentioned, Apple could present collected show data in a manner akin to curated Apple Music recommendations. The company on Thursday released a revamped Apple Store app for iOS with similar features, based on previous purchases.

Preparations for rollout are already underway, Recode says. The single sign-on feature coming to tvOS 10, which lets users authenticate a cable subscription once and apply those credentials to multiple apps, will facilitate one-click content viewing. Single sign-on will also be available on iOS 10, in line with today's claims of a multi-platform digital guide.

Industry executives are apprehensive about Apple's plans, noting that while a digital guide would make it easier for users to surface content, it could diminish the ability of networks to promote their own shows.

Apple initially had plans to launch its own over-the-top streaming service featuring so-called "skinny" channel bundles priced at $30 or less per month. The company apparently put the initiative on hold after it was unable to strike deals with content owners.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Kinda like "channels" does for live TV on the AppleTV:

https://getchannels.com/

• Reply 2 of 7
    Sounds like Apple's hobby is coming of age.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Let's hope it's a precursor to an aggregator App (Apple TV).  The future of TV isn't Apps, it's App.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    Any thoughtful critiques of the new Apple TV Remote?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Actors and writers etc. of TV shows have to work faster and harder!  I hate binge watching a 5 years of a series only to come to the end and they are still working on the next season!  (why won't winks etc.  show after an edit on this blog?)
    edited August 2016 JanNL
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    kamilton said:
    Any thoughtful critiques of the new Apple TV Remote?
    I can't stand going to my old ATV which is upstairs now and dealing with that old remote now, if that means anything.

I will say the sensitivity of swiping could use some tweaking, however. I seem to still do better with that when (I'm upstairs) using my phone as the remote than I do with the new remote. But not having to point at the box and the auto on/off of the TV with the box and volume control ability vastly outweighs the swiping problems.

On another note, I've had it since Christmas, and have charged the remote only once.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Fix the fucking remote so that I don't break my thumb scrolling through 40k songs.