Bluetooth streaming problems introduced in Apple's iOS 9.2 remain, have wide ramifications

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    I should note that my Logitech H800 worked better on my 4s than on my 6 or 6s but after installing iOS 10 PB, some issues have improved. 

I moved my mom and sister also onto iOS 10 PB and although sister now has new BT connectivity issues in her 2016 Honda Fit, we think there may have been a small improvement in the MFi hearing aid and are cautiously optimistic (still far far from a good set up though.)
    ai46baconstang
  • Reply 22 of 63
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    This article is another in a long line of many reasons folks are concerned with the rumored loss of the 3.5 audio jack.
    Apple BT implementation is not the robust "it just works" tech is should and could be.
    cnocbuirobertwalterdoozydozenbaconstangHabi_tweetWooloomoolooelijahgkathiwren
  • Reply 23 of 63
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    Between the beginning of the change = no wires = and the optimized realization, expect some trouble.  The future is wireless.  Apple is leading, as usual.  Taking the hits.  Here's an idea, eBay all your soon to be obsolete wired goodies and prepare to embrace the future.  

I have a 9GB SCSI drive for sale!  Anyone?

lkrupp
  • Reply 24 of 63
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    My Apple Watch had major connectivity issues after the iOS update. Apple wouldn't admit there was an issue and my iPhone 6 Plus was still under warranty as was my Watch. The Apple Store replaced both of them twice after I went through Apple hell of which most of you probably know I mean.

After developer iOS and WatchOS 3 was released I took a chance and knew the risks. The first 2 betas were pretty rough and some apps just didn't work. But all of my Bluetooth issues disappeared not only with my Apple Watch but a couple of headsets I had given up on.

I  am a diabetic and I have two different glucose meters that connect via Bluetooth and often lost connection. I had to go into settings and forget the connection and then go into the app and reconnect. Not anymore!

Some of you might be noticing a high number of app updates happening. I'm finding that apps that weren't working on iOS 10 are now working with the update. Developers are hard at work!
    edited August 2016 robertwalterHabi_tweet
  • Reply 25 of 63
    mtbnut said:
    Apple is 100% responsible for the wretched state of BT on its devices. My Alpine head unit kicked ass back in iOS7—I would get in my car, turn on my ignition, and BAM! instantly connected. Since iOS 8 and to today it has gotten progressively worse, even though my head unit's firmware has remained the same.

Now, I'm about 1 out of 5 in connection success when I get in my car. Sometimes I have to reboot the phone to get it working again. But this is progress, right? Must be Alpine's fault, not Apple's. 

To paraphrase Eddy Cue, "We're Apple, we do what we want with Bluetooth, and we don't wear suits."

I think you hit it on the head (unit :))  Your BT "kicked ass" originally, but in the past several years you/Alpine haven't upgraded the firmware as BT standards have advanced, so it has gotten progressively worse.  Hard to attribute your problems to Apple.
    lkruppai46
  • Reply 26 of 63
    jetpilot said:
    Yes because Lightning headphones are so plentiful on the market. Oh wait...they're not.  Apple doesn't even make them.
    Your comment proves that even Apple fans lack imagination. This is similar non-sense I heard about the disc drive removal.
    1000 times YES. Thank you.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    mnbob1 said:
    My Apple Watch had major connectivity issues after the iOS update. Apple wouldn't admit there was an issue and my iPhone 6 Plus was still under warranty as was my Watch. The Apple Store replaced both of them twice after I went through Apple hell of which most of you probably know I mean.

After developer iOS and WatchOS 3 was released I took a chance and knew the risks. The first 2 betas were pretty rough and some apps just didn't work. But all of my Bluetooth issues disappeared not only with my Apple Watch but a couple of headsets I had given up on.

I  am a diabetic and I have two different glucose meters that connect via Bluetooth and often lost connection. I had to go into settings and forget the connection and then go into the app and reconnect. Not anymore!

Some of you might be noticing a high number of app updates happening. I'm finding that apps that weren't working on iOS 10 are now working with the update. Developers are hard at work!
    Thanks, I haven't been a beta tester, but from your experience it sounds like progress is coming soon....
    ai46robertwalter
  • Reply 28 of 63
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    bb-15 said:
    Back to the article topic. Since upgrading to iOS 9.3 (from 8) my Bluetooth earpiece does disconnect more frequently. It is still workable but still an annoyance.

Finally re: the concerns about this site, I prefer AI. I get my Apple news here. The site is laid out well (unlike 9 to 5) and it is not swamped by trolls (like MacRummors).
    Agreed!  Especially the ever popular DED articles.  Yeah, lot of crybaby trolls in MacRumors.
    bb-15zeus423baconstangwilliamlondonnolamacguy
  • Reply 29 of 63
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    I love when people cry about not being able to use there old headphones with the "iPhone 7". Oh well. Buy new headphones or use an older model iPhone. Just like with any other product that introduces a new model and leaves old accessories behind. I guess I shouldn't have bought my PS4 because all my old controllers and accerories for my PS3, that I spent a ton of money on, wont work with it. Sell you headphones on eBay and get a new lightning connected or wireless pair (if you want the iPhone 7). I read the comments saying "there are barely any lightning headphones on the market. Apple doesn't even make any yet". Well of course not. The 3.5 jackless iPhone hasn't been released yet. Why would there be a ton on the market? We all know, if Apple does indeed make this change, we will see plenty of accessory makers come out with new headphones. They know where there bread is buttered.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    jetpilot said:
    Yes because Lightning headphones are so plentiful on the market. Oh wait...they're not.  Apple doesn't even make them.
    Your comment proves that even Apple fans lack imagination. This is similar non-sense I heard about the disc drive removal.
    Please post the link to the Apple first-party Lightning headphones so I can purchase a set. Thanks!
    cnocbuielijahg
  • Reply 31 of 63
    After I upgraded my iPhone 6s Plus my Jabra Drive device became unusable. The caller could hear me, but I could only hear parts of their speech. I tried re-pairing the device and that didn't help. Surprisingly resetting the network settings in this case fixed the problem. That's the first time ever reseting the network settings proved useful.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    pnoskopnosko Posts: 8member
    jetpilot said:
    supadav03 said:
    Pretty sure you can still used wired headphones even without the headphone jack. So missing your point? It's called lightning connected (not wireless) headphones 
    They also don't make a phone that uses them or comes without a standard headphone jack.
    doozydozenrobertwaltersupadav03
  • Reply 33 of 63
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    larrya said:
    Headphone jack removal apologists, take note. Wireless not always as great as it sounds. 
    I guess Apple wants me to upgrade my BMW to recover Bluetooth connectivity.

baconstangelijahg
  • Reply 34 of 63
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Single data point:

My wife and I both own nine- and eight-year-old Acura vehicles, and through the years, as we've updated our iPhones, handsfree BT reliability has only improved.  Even though the vehicles have received no BT firmware updates since purchasing new.

Again, we're talking pretty low-level interaction - audio and a modicum of signal/phone data to display.  But it's never broken.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    matt_s said:
    larrya said:
    Headphone jack removal apologists, take note. Wireless not always as great as it sounds. 
    I guess Apple wants me to upgrade my BMW to recover Bluetooth connectivity.

Absolutely you should contact your BMW dealer to see if they can provide an update to recover Bluetooth connectivity. What? You think BMW doesn't have screwed up software and never needs updates? It's all Apple's fault? My 2012 GMC Terrain started having issues with my iPhone 6 when iOS 9 came out. My 2016 F-150 works perfectly with iOS 9.3.4. So who has the problem? My best bet is on GMC's software being the issue.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    People who are in favor of moving to 100% wireless are either foolishly naive, perhaps plain stupid, on some sort of illegal narcotics, or maybe they're just deaf, and they possess the analytical listening skills of Vincent Van Gogh's severed left ear.

If wireless or bluetooth is so great, then how come when I stream audio from my iPad Air 2 to either my Apple TV or my Bluetooth soundbar, all of the audio is delayed by a few seconds when I'm playing a game? That's absolutely horrible, and totally unacceptable! I can't be firing a gun in a game, and then hearing the gun shot a few seconds after I pull the trigger!

I can't be playing a game, and all of the sound FX is delayed by a few seconds! It needs to be instantaneous, like it would be with a wired connection! Anything less than that is 100% unacceptable.

Everything is not fine and dandy with Bluetooth audio, and until it is perfect, just like a wired connection would be, with no latency and no BS, then you can expect me to be skeptical of it.

I am fully expecting a few unintelligent trolls, the uneducated, the hard of hearing and the ignorant to down vote this post, so go right ahead, if it makes your feeble mind feel better. You're still wrong. :#
    edited August 2016 anantksundarammacseekerbaconstangelijahg
  • Reply 37 of 63
    jetpilot said:
    Please post the link to the Apple first-party Lightning headphones so I can purchase a set. Thanks!
    Stupid!
  • Reply 38 of 63
    I am having issues tethering from the iPad to my Windows laptop (not to my iPhone though). Any chance this Bluetooth issue is causing the problem?!?
  • Reply 39 of 63
    apple ][ said:
    People who are in favor of moving to 100% wireless are either foolishly naive, perhaps plain stupid, on some sort of illegal narcotics, or maybe they're just deaf, and they possess the analytical listening skills of Vincent Van Gogh's severed left ear.

If wireless or bluetooth is so great, then how come when I stream audio from my iPad Air 2 to either my Apple TV or my Bluetooth soundbar, all of the audio is delayed by a few seconds when I'm playing a game? That's absolutely horrible, and totally unacceptable! I can't be firing a gun in a game, and then hearing the gun shot a few seconds after I pull the trigger!

I can't be playing a game, and all of the sound FX is delayed by a few seconds! It needs to be instantaneous, like it would be with a wired connection! Anything less than that is 100% unacceptable.

Everything is not fine and dandy with Bluetooth audio, and until it is perfect, just like a wired connection would be, with no latency and no BS, then you can expect me to be skeptical of it.

I am fully expecting a few unintelligent trolls, the uneducated, the hard of hearing and the ignorant to down vote this post, so go right ahead, if it makes your feeble mind feel better. You're still wrong. :#
    Yeah, that's the reason why when I listen to the TV through my headphones, I'm wired all the way.  I even tried the Sony wireless headphones (MDR-RF985R) that doesn't use bluetooth and still there is an audio lag.  Reminds me of when the airlines showed movies in flight using film and a lot of the time the audio was out of sync.
    apple ][baconstang
  • Reply 40 of 63
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    cnocbui said:
    supadav03 said:
    Pretty sure you can still used wired headphones even without the headphone jack. So missing your point? It's called lightning connected (not wireless) headphones 
    Not without a diminishing of your user experience and bank account.  'Shouldn't have to' beats 'can', every time.
    I highly doubt it will affect either the user experience or bank account. And not everytime that 'can' beats 'shouldn't have to', in fact, 'shouldn't have to' shouldn't have to beat 'can' at all.