Bluetooth streaming problems introduced in Apple's iOS 9.2 remain, have wide ramifications

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    larrya said:
    Headphone jack removal apologists, take note. Wireless not always as great as it sounds. 
    troll nonsense. no one can apologize since we don't know they whys and whats yet. further, every iPhone with a lightning port has a non-wireless jack. you don't need two. 

Repomancrowleywilliamlondonsupadav03robertwalterdoozydozen
  • Reply 42 of 63
    I have had my iPhone SE since May and every time I am driving in my 2016 Honda CRV the info display constantly displays the message telling me that my iPhone has been connected and then a few minutes later that my iPhone has been disconnected over and over again. So you better make a hands free phone call fast while the info display says the phone is still connected via Bluetooth. Annoying as hell!!
    robertwalter
  • Reply 43 of 63
    matt_s said:
    larrya said:
    Headphone jack removal apologists, take note. Wireless not always as great as it sounds. 
    I guess Apple wants me to upgrade my BMW to recover Bluetooth connectivity.

Not nearly as much as BMW does!
    baconstang
  • Reply 44 of 63
    artart Posts: 1member
    Possibly related , my "resound" hearing aide connects to cell phone properly when I use Duracell batteries , but not when I use a different brand . The phone call is completed and works for about 3 seconds then disconnects using that other brand
    robertwalter
  • Reply 45 of 63
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Your comment proves that even Apple fans lack imagination. This is similar non-sense I heard about the disc drive removal.
    1000 times YES. Thank you.
    I don't feel it's nearly so similar.  The need for having an optical drive on a laptop at that time isn't the same as currently having a headphone output on a media player/phone  that works out of the box without buying a piece of hardware because its intended means of wireless transmit isn't working well enough yet.
    baconstangcnocbui
  • Reply 46 of 63
    lkrupp said:

Um... Did you have trouble following the reasoning I gave you in my original post? Or the ones following that? What part of 'advancing a conversation by providing a valid counterargument' (I am paraphrasing) are you having trouble figuring out?
    Does this mean you think anyone who dislikes a post should be obligated to respond to it instead? I dislike a post is when an opinion is presented as fact, positive or negative. No response is needed to such hubris. For example, "As everybody knows this is a massive issue for all users..." would get a dislike from me. As for your original post about the reasonableness of a member's post about wireless headphones that member called those who support the removal of the headphone jack "apologists" and that got an immediate dislike from me. You talk about reasonable conversations and debates. That post was a troll, period.
    BUT equally or more just trump down issues as not an issue (by pressing dislike) on the same ground even if the "fact" is not an opinion. The reader just interprets it as just an opinion. Take on the headset that's (well 2 different ones) that come with the iPhone. I know that many don't use them because they simply don't work for their ear geometry. My personal polling shows that its probably at least 50% of users globally My test group showed about 90% couldn't use them. The thing is that I got a few more negatives doesn't mean that is wasn't like I was wrong. Clearly only the fact got downplayed by a handful of people who prefer not to hear bad reviews/news and this fact disappears in the background. But keep putting your head in the sand and press dislike...
    edited August 2016 elijahg
  • Reply 47 of 63
    I have significant issues with Bluetooth in general. I can be within 6 feet and if my phone is in my pocket it cuts out constantly. Wireless in general I have had issues with including airplay. I may have too much interference in my house or something. Not unique to this update version however. Anyone else have issues?
    baconstang
  • Reply 48 of 63
    kitukitu Posts: 9member
    Seems not to be related only to Bluetooth. 

I'm using only external dac's. In car via kenwood kiv700 and in home via Maranz amp. Both do suffer from the same, the sound sometimes is lost. Several boots of phone/da might help. Latest iOS version is used. Old retina iPod touch, with iOS 6.0.6, if I remember correctly, has no problems ever.

Some audio routing problem? Cause I can hear the sound from bt-headset, if I choose that one instead of the original (cable or AirPlay).
  • Reply 49 of 63
    Wow, a genuine critique of something Apple is doing on AppleInsider. This is newsworthy in of itself, finally writing about something users find incredibly frustrating rather than the usual pandering to every whim.

I agree with the comments you made, this is a good piece and I'd like to see more like it. Apple may actually be a better company with some accountability for their actions.
    singularitycnocbuidoozydozenduervoelijahg
  • Reply 50 of 63
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Have a 6s with the LG Bluetooth headset and have had to listen to "Call Ended" 4-7 times before a voicemail will play for the past 12 months. Did not have this problem originally. Thought this was just an issue with the headset, but my new F160 does the same thing if I play a voicemail while iPhone is connected to Sync 3.
    I stopped using Wired Headsets years ago, early on with my iPhone 4 that I used for 4+ years, and that's all I've used with my iPhone 6. But YA, I've noticed some issues with Bluetooth , more so lately. Like turning my headset on, and you can see it's still playing on my iPhone and the audio cuts out on the phone as it should, but then I get nothing from the headset. I also noticed audio just randomly cutting out while I had my phone linked to a bluetooth speaker box. A nice one. It was never a issue in the past, but yesterday I was using it and the song would be playing and the the audio would just stop randomly. Then I'd turn the phone on, look at the app as it's off, and so I'd have to hit play once again and it'll go for a couple songs and then do the same thing again. There's just been these quarks lately and I'm not sure why. I just got a couple new different sets of Bluetooth speakers from Amazon a few weeks ago. I'm a fan of wireless headsets, but there's something going on with Bluetooth.
    baconstang
  • Reply 51 of 63
    apple ][ said:
    People who are in favor of moving to 100% wireless are either foolishly naive, perhaps plain stupid, on some sort of illegal narcotics, or maybe they're just deaf, and they possess the analytical listening skills of Vincent Van Gogh's severed left ear.

If wireless or bluetooth is so great, then how come when I stream audio from my iPad Air 2 to either my Apple TV or my Bluetooth soundbar, all of the audio is delayed by a few seconds when I'm playing a game? That's absolutely horrible, and totally unacceptable! I can't be firing a gun in a game, and then hearing the gun shot a few seconds after I pull the trigger!

I can't be playing a game, and all of the sound FX is delayed by a few seconds! It needs to be instantaneous, like it would be with a wired connection! Anything less than that is 100% unacceptable.

Everything is not fine and dandy with Bluetooth audio, and until it is perfect, just like a wired connection would be, with no latency and no BS, then you can expect me to be skeptical of it.

I am fully expecting a few unintelligent trolls, the uneducated, the hard of hearing and the ignorant to down vote this post, so go right ahead, if it makes your feeble mind feel better. You're still wrong. :#
    your posts get downloaded because theyre often ignorant or even stupid points of view.

like this one. there is no "100% wireless" iphone -- Lightning is a wire. it plays audio through it, and youll be able to plug headphones into it.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 52 of 63
    its now at -20, for good reason -- it's troll-nonsense. no one can be an "apologist" (loaded troll language btw) for something neither announced nor explained, can one? yeah.
    Ouch. How will my self-esteem ever recover? Oh no!

Apologist? You?
    there you go again. 

because youre apparently slow ill repeat -- the post you decided to white knight over now has over 20 dislikes, because it's troll nonsense. it uses loaded troll language such as calling supporters of a Lightning + BT iphone concept "apologists". i presented the rational fact that no one can be considered an apologist for something unannounced, and which benefits are at least partially unknown. 

and then you got your panties in a bunch over all the dislikes you got.
    edited August 2016 doozydozenwilliamlondonboopthesnoot
  • Reply 53 of 63
    As was said in a classic Dilbert cartoon: "of course, it conforms to all the standards - which means it does nothing useful, but it's not our fault..."
  • Reply 54 of 63
    Ouch. How will my self-esteem ever recover? Oh no!

Apologist? You?
    there you go again. 

because youre apparently slow ill repeat -- the post you decided to white knight over now has over 20 dislikes, because it's troll nonsense. it uses loaded troll language such as calling supporters of a Lightning + BT iphone concept "apologists". i presented the rational fact that no one can be considered an apologist for something unannounced, and which benefits are at least partially unknown. 

It got 20 dislikes!? Looks like it has disappeared..... I was hoping to take a screen shot for posterity. Damn. 

Oh well. I am sure there'll be a next time, and I know I can count on utterly the vacuous, knee-jerk, thoughtless, Pavlovian responses of apologists like a couple of you folks here!
    cnocbui
  • Reply 55 of 63
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    there you go again. 

It got 20 dislikes!? Looks like it has disappeared..... I was hoping to take a screen shot for posterity. Damn. 
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/2879168/#Comment_2879168

It's right there; no disappearance.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 56 of 63
    larrya said:
    AMEN!  Nothing like a hard-wired connection, as neolithic as it sounds.  It's one thing when a bad connection makes it so you can't listen to your music, another when you can't communicate by phone.  At all. 
  • Reply 57 of 63
    supadav03 said:
    larrya said:
    Pretty sure you can still used wired headphones even without the headphone jack. So missing your point? It's called lightning connected (not wireless) headphones 
    Yeah, you're missing the point.  The wireless headphone jack makes it possible for people with hearing aids to listen to a conversation on our cellphones (or to music) without headphones at all.  Which is a big plus.....our hearing aids are programmed for our specific hearing loss, across the frequency spectrum.  It's about more than just volume.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    This was a GREAT ARTICLE!   I did not even know about Bluetooth hearing aids!  (They start at $900 each, BTW. Very glad I'm not hard of hearing). When Apple implements phone-to-phone audio (they have a patent on this) w/o the cell network it will be a great boon to the hearing impaired. Thus, this article about Bluetooth problems is quite newsworthy. True, it does not explain the exact cause butthat might not be possible. It sounds like a class of problems rather than just one. 
    the problem with the apple MFI hearing aids and the iPhone is that the BT pairing is proprietary, and doesn't work with any other type of hearing aid or cellphone.  The BT people are working on an ineroperative BT protocol that would work across technologies/brands.  Apple's proprietary BT protocol will limit hard-of-hearing people to their technolgy, for as long as they both shall live.
    https://www.beaconreader.com/kathi-mestayer/apple-tying-the-knot-around-the-hard-of-hearing?ref=profile

gatorguy
  • Reply 59 of 63
    emoeller said:
    xraynano said:
    Article doesn't really in the end explain the problem, although it suggests it is mostly about hardware vendors not providing testing or updates to make sure they meet changes in Bluetooth protocols.
    The problem is simply, "changing standards are not properly communicated and adopted".

The solution is communication throughout the process.  From Apple's side they need to provide more detail in their update releases, clearly noting to customers what implications those updates may have to their various devices.   Bluetooth, because its protocol is widely adopted, has millions of devices from tens of thousands of manufacturers.  Ideally each of those would have a location on their service page noting their current support level for their device and advising customers how best to perform firmware updates to achieve current compliance.

Failing this the Bluetooth SIG could create and post a master list on its website from all of its member companies to accomplish the same task.  But in the end it is communication back to the end user that is causing the frustrations.

As an aside (and off topic, sorry), last night my AppleTV 3 had to re-login to iCloud (the AppleTV 3 had worked fine because it was already logged in, but a power outage demanded I re-login and that's when my troubles started).   "Couldn't connect to iCloud server" or "incorrect user name or password", no matter what I did.   Spent hours checking Apple's website only to finally find a single user post that AppleTV 3 does not support two-part authentication.  Nothing anywhere else about this issue and I'm sure I'm not the only one have it.   Again, Apple simply needs to communicate on its two-factor authentication page that AppleTV 3 isn't support (in a round about way Apple does this by not noting that AppleTV 3 is supported), but then should go on and explain how to resolve the issue (which for me was to delete authentication on all devices, login on the AppleTV 3 and then re-initialize two-part authentication - a multi-day process per Apples protocols).
    what Apple REALLY needs to do is to create hearing-assistive tech that meets the FCC's current compatibility standards.  Which the MFi aids don't. 

edited August 2016
  • Reply 60 of 63
    grangerfx said:
    Why doesn't Apple simply provide backwards compatibility for certain devices that can't be updated to the new spec? Devices can be easily identified by their UUID codes.
    Apple wants to lock hard-of-hearing users in to their MFi hearing aids and iPHones.  Their proprietary BT protocol will  not work with ANY other cellphones or hearing aids.  Ever.

edited August 2016 singularity