'Apple Watch 2' with GPS, barometer, better waterproofing, more to launch in 2H of 2016

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2016
Apple is planning to release two Apple Watch versions in the second half of 2016, one a minor update over existing models and an "Apple Watch 2" with GPS, barometer and more, according to one connected insider.

Well-connected KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in a note to investors on Sunday, obtained by AppleInsider, detailed Apple's wearable timeline for the coming six months.

Kuo believes Apple is planning to launch two new Apple Watch versions in the second half of 2016, both of which offer moderate improvements over their predecessor. The first unit will be an iterative upgrade on the original Apple Watch and is expected to sport the same aesthetics, but with improved intervals like a TSMC processor built on the 16nm process. Waterproofing should also be slightly improved.

A second version, dubbed "Apple Watch 2," is also expected to share the same general design as current models, but will include a GPS radio and barometer for improved geolocation capabilities. A higher capacity battery will be included to power the advanced components, but its size will prohibit Apple's usual generational device slimming.

Looking ahead, Kuo doesn't expect Apple to change its wearable form factor in 2017, a year that will most likely bring LTE support for standalone cellphone and data functionality. More radical design changes should arrive in 2018 alongside improved health applications and potentially FDA approval.

With two device introductions in the offing, Kuo is raising his fiscal 2016 shipment predictions to between 10 million and 11 million units, up from between 7 million and 7.5 million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    The 2 models do not make any sense to me. Why are they releasing 2 models at the same time?
    Or are they going to release the 2 in 2017?
  • Reply 2 of 53
    Is "2H' a common abbreviation for 'the second half of the year?' When I first saw the headline, I thought (hoped?) it meant 2 hours.
    mobiusfotoformatcapasicumcalilatifbpalbegarc
  • Reply 3 of 53
    The 2 models do not make any sense to me. Why are they releasing 2 models at the same time?
    They won't, this is Ming-Chi spitballing as usual. 
    calimejsricSpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 53
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    More than likely they will release the Apple Watch 2 and keep the original around at a discounted price, much like they do with iPhones and iPads. They might have different watch band configurations, but I would put money that's how the lineup will look for the Christmas season.
    xzunostrathomascapasicumcalientropyswilliamlondonchiabadmonk
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Ming-Chi Kuo... If I am tired of seeing his name attached to trade secret leaks, I can't imagine how annoyed Tim Cook and Apple execs are.
    calimejsricSpamSandwichalbegarc
  • Reply 6 of 53
    They currently have 6 models, technically. Two different sizes and three different materials. So who knows what he is referring to. Apple could be dropping the 'edition' line and going down to two versions from three, or staying at two sizes... or launching the watch 'S'. haha. His 'inside information' is just vague enough that no mater what they do he is technically correct. Gotta hate that.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Is "2H' a common abbreviation for 'the second half of the year?' When I first saw the headline, I thought (hoped?) it meant 2 hours.
    Yes it is actually
    calilatifbpanantksundaram
  • Reply 8 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    GPS will be interesting. It's another chip and antenna, can take a lot time to connect without A-GPS, and can drain a battery quickly.

- - -

Anecdote Warning:
    I recently tested my Apple Watch to see how well it does in a wilderness situation where my iPhone was disconnected (and off since there was no cell reception in the mountains), and I was able to get over 3 days of use with the Watch in Airplane Mode. If I turned it off once I got to camp for the evening I figure I could have gotten at least a couple more days out of a single charge.

The one downside was the Watch did not accurately account for the extra calories burned for hiking rough terrain, carrying a 40lb pack, being at a high elevation, or ascending thousands of feet in total elevation per day. The first three I understand simply aren't possible with the current HW, but I did assume the accelerometer would be able to calculate "floors climbs." The pedometer seemed to work fine for distance, according to the National Park Service's trail measurements.

The biggest drawback was the Activity app's Move and Exercise results were incorrect. I was getting 0/30 Exercise minutes despite a near constant pace for 6–8 hours per day with a steady heart rate in the 130bpm range the entire time. My Move goal was being achieved from the constant walking, but it was surely much lower than it should have been. I'm sure this will be taken into consideration in the future—especially considering that I was doing this in the backyard of their last three macOS naming conventions (Yosemite, El Cap, and Sierra).

Anyway, despite those limitations, I was very impressed that the Watch was able to last for so many days when placed into Airplane Mode.

- - -

Does a barometer need to work alongside the accelerometer to account for "floors climbed"? 

Off topic: I've noticed that Power Save Mode has been removed from its previous location from watchOS 1.0–2.x. I can't seem to find a manual setting for it in the system. It does, however, ask you if you'd like to enable it once Watch reached 10% on watchOS 3.0. What I'd like to see is an option for a hybrid-Power Save Mode that will disable the display and remove its connection to the iPhone, but will still allow the accelerometer to record your activity. Perhaps the M-series chips are still too power-hungry for the low-power Watch, but perhaps one day that will be possible.
    nolamacguysteveauSpamSandwichktappepscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 53
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I was going to post exactly the same thing. I worked it out after I starred at it for about 10 seconds (I've just woken up!), but for the sake of saving a few characters it seems a bit unnecessary to abbreviate that.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    staticx57 said:
    Yes it is actually
    In my mind "2H" has always been a slightly hard pencil lead!
    mdriftmeyerbestkeptsecretSpamSandwichlmagoopscooter63
  • Reply 11 of 53
    hittrj01 said:
    More than likely they will release the Apple Watch 2 and keep the original around at a discounted price, much like they do with iPhones and iPads. They might have different watch band configurations, but I would put money that's how the lineup will look for the Christmas season.
    And, similar to iPhone SE, they could upgrade the CPU of the first watch to increase its usable life span.
    entropysradarthekat
  • Reply 12 of 53
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Why are rumors being reported as fact now? At least in the headline, why??
    Throw in the "2H" and I flipped!
    I thought I had either missed a keynote or Apple had aired a surprise announcement and surprise launch!!
  • Reply 13 of 53
    cali said:
    Why are rumors being reported as fact now? At least in the headline, why??
    Throw in the "2H" and I flipped!
    I thought I had either missed a keynote or Apple had aired a surprise announcement and surprise launch!!
    1) They've been doing this since as long as I've been a member, and with increasing frequency.

2) Is "2H" such a common shorthand for "2nd half of the [calendar] year" that it can be used without any explanation? I know several posters here know what it means, and I know that many others are intelligent enough to decipher it's meaning from the context, but I don't think it's a good choice for wide-ranging audience in terms of English proficiency, technical knowledge, and history with Apple.
    mobiuspscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 53
    This rumour of "better waterproofing resistance" tells me that they will finally be adding water-based exercises as workout options. I say that because the thing is already water resistance enough that I use it for swimming frequently without issue (because of the many tests I saw last year when it first debuted).

It might only be options for activities on the water where the watch could get soaked periodically, not swimming laps which keeps the swimmer's wrist within 6 feet of the surface, but Apple would have to consider people then pushing that limit or using it while diving to deeper depths, or even just the momentary drive down to 12 feet to pick up your car keys that you accidentally forget to remove from your pocket before starting your laps—that happened to me just last week and my key fob was perfectly fine. 
  • Reply 15 of 53
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Who's "they"? 

Apple didn't say anything.  Are you expecting some non-connected analyst to just spout something Apple-ish and you take it as gospel?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 16 of 53
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    If Ming-Chi Kuo is correct (and I am not saying that he is) there will be three models available for Christmas 2016, each in 6 variants (two sizes and three cases). These will be Apple Watch 1, Apple Watch 1S and Apple Watch 2. If he's right about Apple Watch 2, then I know what my Christmas present will be!
  • Reply 17 of 53
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    No "Breaking" tag? AI is slipping. 

I am skeptical about Apple updating gen 1 watch with new internals. When has Apple done that before? iPhone SE has the same design as the 5S but it's still a new model. 
    mrboba1
  • Reply 18 of 53
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    Soli said:
    This rumour of "better waterproofing resistance" tells me that they will finally be adding water-based exercises as workout options. I say that because the thing is already water resistance enough that I use it for swimming frequently without issue (because of the many tests I saw last year when it first debuted).

It may be resistant, but Apple says "Submerging your Apple Watch isn't recommended.":

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

Perhaps they want to be able to remove this disclaimer with an even more water-resistant model.

edited August 2016
  • Reply 19 of 53
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    Soli said:

Anecdote Warning:
    I recently tested my Apple Watch to see how well it does in a wilderness situation where my iPhone was disconnected (and off since there was no cell reception in the mountains), and I was able to get over 3 days of use with the Watch in Airplane Mode. If I turned it off once I got to camp for the evening I figure I could have gotten at least a couple more days out of a single charge.
    If I turn my Watch off completely and then back on (mainly to reset some odd issue), I lose at least 20% of the battery charge in the process, just with a single restart.  I wouldn't recommend turning it off overnight if you're goal is to conserve battery.
    albegarc
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Soli said:

Anecdote Warning:

The biggest drawback was the Activity app's Move and Exercise results were incorrect. I was getting 0/30 Exercise minutes despite a near constant pace for 6–8 hours per day with a steady heart rate in the 130bpm range the entire time. My Move goal was being achieved from the constant walking, but it was surely much lower than it should have been. I'm sure this will be taken into consideration in the future—especially considering that I was doing this in the backyard of their last three macOS naming conventions (Yosemite, El Cap, and Sierra).

- - -

Does a barometer need to work alongside the accelerometer to account for "floors climbed"? 
    I get frustrated by that as well. Sometimes I get 0 minutes of exercise even though I hit the Move goal. But, I can start an "other" workout and just sit there watching the grass grow and my Exercise minutes start to go up. Also, if I walk into work at a quick enough pace I'll get 2 or 3 minutes of Exercise. So, at the end of the day with 4 trips in and out I can already have about 10 minutes of Exercise. BUT, when I get home and take the dog for a walk I have Siri start an Outdoor Walk and I'm out for 45 minutes and my Exercise goal barely moves. I don't get it. 

Yes, you need the barometer to measure floors climbed. And I'm pretty sure it works with the accelerometer because it seems you need to be moving forward and up for it to count. It won't add floors climbed if you go up 20 flights on an elevator, for instance. (Although, I wonder what would happen if I was alone on the elevator and could walk in circles while ascending.)
    albegarc