Hyundai upgrades older Azera, Sonata & Veloster models with Apple CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone
Hyundai on Monday signaled the arrival of Apple CarPlay on 2015 and 2016 models of the Azera, as well as 2016 versions of the Veloster and Sonata Hybrid/Plug-In Hybrid.

People with one of those vehicles can perform the update by following instructions on MyHyundai, or driving to a dealership if they're willing to pay a fee. The company has been upgrading a number of older vehicles with CarPlay, including the Genesis, Tuscon, Elantra GT, and other Sonata models.

The carmaker noted that the 2017 Santa Fe and Sante Fe Sport now come with CarPlay by default, and the same will apply to other 2017 models as long as they have supporting dash interfaces.

Upgrades for older cars are still relatively rare in the CarPlay world. Companies have instead focused on adding the platform to new models, presumably considering it a better investment of resources.

Apple is planning to make significant improvements to CarPlay with this fall's iOS 10, including the ability to hide or rearrange homescreen icons, and an automatic parking marker in Maps whenever an iPhone disconnects.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    touruntourun Posts: 18member
    I've been using Apple CarPlay in my Hyundai all summer going on many long trips.  I love the maps feature.  I have the expensive built-in navigation in two of my vehicles,  but the CarPlay maps are much easier to use and so much quicker to input addresses.  Plus updating maps on my iPhone is free, but to update the maps in the built-in navigation costs almost $200.  I'll never pay for the expensive built-in navigation again when I purchase a car.  I give CarPlay five out of five stars.
    pscooter63roundaboutnow
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 536member
    Other manufacturers (Subaru) need to get with the program and allow updates to the software in late-model vehicles (2016 Outback) that already had a measure of iPhone integration but could seriously use CarPlay support.

Pretty soon I'm going to start picking vehicles and manufacturers on the basis of continual software updates and start ignoring those who seem to think that an "upgrade" consists solely of buying a new car.....
    nolamacguyLord Grantham's Ulcerpscooter63
  • Reply 3 of 12
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    hmlongco said:
    Other manufacturers (Subaru) need to get with the program and allow updates to the software in late-model vehicles (2016 Outback) that already had a measure of iPhone integration but could seriously use CarPlay support.

Pretty soon I'm going to start picking vehicles and manufacturers on the basis of continual software updates and start ignoring those who seem to think that an "upgrade" consists solely of buying a new car.....
    I've considered my vehicle an expensive iPhone Dock since the first integrations became available. 

I'd no more buy a printer without Mac support than I'd buy a car withou CarPlay anymore. 
  • Reply 4 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    agreed and hope Subaru does right by me on a 2016 model...tho i leased just in case they dont
  • Reply 5 of 12
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Honda, you listening?
    zroger73
  • Reply 6 of 12
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Going to update my 2015 Azera tonight 
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Kia desperately needs to up their game. My wife and I bought a pair of 2016 Souls and the infotainment systems are terrible. These don't have Apple CarPlay and what they do have should be an embarrassment to the company. Voice control rarely works, nothing is intuitive. This should have never gotten to the beta stage let alone be put into any of their cars. I hope Kia upgrades their stupid systems to Apple CarPlay soon.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Kia desperately needs to up their game. My wife and I bought a pair of 2016 Souls and the infotainment systems are terrible. These don't have Apple CarPlay and what they do have should be an embarrassment to the company. Voice control rarely works, nothing is intuitive. This should have never gotten to the beta stage let alone be put into any of their cars. I hope Kia upgrades their stupid systems to Apple CarPlay soon.
    Well, Kia is Hyundai, so...

On another note, I love how my 2015 Azera is now an "older" vehicle.  I leased almost exactly a year ago and it had the "new" nav system, which is why it can be upgraded to begin with.  As for your Kia, I imagine it's a lot like my 2013 Azera.  I hated that system.  
  • Reply 9 of 12
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 239member
    Mazda can't seem to get CarPlay going either. I'd love to get a CX-5, but not without CarPlay!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Toyota, are they going to live in past decade..Get on Carplay.and Honda you too.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Apple should really be upset by the fact that car manufacturers often charge extra for CarPlay capability. When you get it, it will also come with Android's me-too version. So Google should be upset as well. This surely wasn't the intention. Apple (and Google) actually are doing the car manufacturers a favor by not having them to develop their own proprietary version of connectivity, leaving the world with a cacophony of APIs.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/07/19/kia-to-offer-free-apple-carplay-upgrades-on-select-models