Apple CEO Tim Cook says future products will be 'in every part of your life that we can'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    spice-boy said:
     I recently spent a month in a very rural place with little to no cell phone service. All my Apple devices were somewhat useless.
    Yep. done that. Only my phone was useless. My MacBook Pro was most certainly not useless.
    There again, I am not dependant/addicted to being online and using social media 24hrs a day.
    If you are going to be off grid then prepare for it. I did. I loaded my iPod up with podcasts and music.
    Be prepared!

SpamSandwichkevin kee
  • Reply 22 of 44
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    crowley said:
    Bit creepy. Sounds like something Eric Schmidt would say. 
    There is a context and better wording, as radarthekat and anantksundaram point out.

But just as important, in my opinion, is that the original interview is by Rick Tetzeli, co-author of "Becoming Steve Jobs," so you are not going to see the paranoid view of Apple reinforced in the article. It's an interesting read.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 23 of 44
    flaneur said:
    crowley said:
    There is a context and better wording, as radarthekat and anantksundaram point out.

But just as important, in my opinion, is that the original interview is by Rick Tetzeli, co-author of "Becoming Steve Jobs," so you are not going to see the paranoid view of Apple reinforced in the article. It's an interesting read.
    Perhaps equally -- if not more -- important, Apple has been the one unwavering beacon in tech for the primacy of user privacy. I want a company like Apple to help we with every aspect of my personal and professional life in the way it can.
    radarthekatcali
  • Reply 24 of 44
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Hmmm. Well I, for one, find most of Apple's recent releases to be seriously "meh". While the ATV and iWatch have some obviously useful use-cases, they're certainly not universally useful devices, and they have definite flaws that make them less than useful in their intended roles (battery life in the watch, lack of live TV and usable in-home streaming for the ATV). So I, for one, am not really looking forward to Apple' take on the clock radio or refrigerator.
    thanks for making it clear that you dont have an Apple Watch and have probably never even used one. there is absolutely *no* battery issue w/ the AW -- it has 50-60% battery at the end of a normal day, and 20-40% left after a day w/ a 2-hour workout. many others have reported the same. thus it gets better life than the device its an accessory to, the iphone. thus when you put your phone to charge at night you do the same w/ the AW and begin your day with 100%. so again -- there is no battery problem.

as for ATV -- live TV is up to the app developers to offer. some do. i myself have no desire to watch content live, and every desire to watch it whenever i want to.
    fastasleeppscooter63bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 25 of 44
    lkrupp said:
    Hmmm. Well I, for one, find most of Apple's recent releases to be seriously "meh". While the ATV and iWatch have some obviously useful use-cases, they're certainly not universally useful devices, and they have definite flaws that make them less than useful in their intended roles (battery life in the watch, lack of live TV and usable in-home streaming for the ATV). So I, for one, am not really looking forward to Apple' take on the clock radio or refrigerator.
    Care to elaborate by giving examples of what products you think would not be "seriously meh?" What's the next big thing in your opinion? VR is already passé, autonomous vehicles are ten years away. Don't mention curved screens and other such nonsense. Specifications like faster processors, more memory, etc. are not innovations. Batteries and waterproofing aren't either. I don't see any other company on the planet with a better crystal ball at this time.
    Do you mean besides the ones I already posted? Ok...

The Apple TV is useful only for pre-recorded content. Although it's possible to use it live with various add-ons like the Tablo, these are expensive and limited. Without live streaming for things like news and sports, if you're into that, the usefulness of the product is simply not all it could be. We hear of various efforts to address this, but so far, nothing. Additionally, it's ability to work with your own content is far more limited than it should be. It requires you to leave iTunes running in the background 24/7, and even then it often fails to work for no reason at all. I have a collection of classic movies I'm working my wait through, and it's a serious PITA to do so.

Then there's the Airport. In spite of the hardware inside having the same processor and hardware as other routers, it has many limitations for no reason. For instance, there's a fourth ethernet in there we can't use, and three hidden USB. I have USB printers I'd love to plug into it, but no, I have to use a hub. For all of this, it's slower than any router based on the same platform, in some cases a lot, for no reason. And then there's they way that it has all the files from my Mac, but I still have to run iTunes to share them - why can't it be the iTunes hub and thus let me turn off my main machine? Or the way that it utterly fails as a Windows file share, in spite of claims to the contrary. It's simply not as good a product as it could be with a *little* attention.

And finally, let's move onto my new Mac Pro. I replaced my 2007 vintage Mac Pro with a 2013 model. This is nowhere near as good a machine. It has two GPUs that can only be replaced by sending in the whole machine, in spite of being the part that is the #1 failure point on most high-end workstations. Better yet, they decided to use *two different* non-standard card formats, so not only can you not ever buy a new card for the machine, you can't even swap them out if one fails. And then there's the lack of USB on the front, which means you have to leave your machine turned around all the time, and just the general lack of USB in general, four ports on a workstation? And the lack of even a single internal drive bay, which would trivially fit into the existing case if it was eSATA for a slimline SSD, thus making an all-SSD fusion drive possible. I have to connect an external to do anything, and suffer annoying reboots when the external isn't ready in time for the OS to wake up. Externals are fine for its intended market, but that's just it, it's intended market is this tiny segment of users. For people who just want a good desktop powerhouse machine for development, well, tough, buy an entire iMac every few years.

I realize this will get downvotes for daring to speak negatively, but that's fine. I buy Apple because I demand better, and lately, they simply aren't delivering much better. You should all be holding their feet to the flame too. Don't settle just because it has an Apple logo.
    cnocbuicalicrowleyParalysis
  • Reply 26 of 44
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    spice-boy said:
    My concern going forward is that Apple designers, engineers, officers, etc... are living in an extremely well paid and highly privileged world that few of their customers may be able to identify with. Do they understand the masses any longer? I recently spent a month in a very rural place with little to no cell phone service. All my Apple devices were somewhat useless. My point being I would love to see Apple make an effort to expand service and connectivity to the millions of people which live without access to the internet. However they choose to do this, donations, creating a foundation, or government lobbying, it would be a more important thing than introducing new colors for the upcoming iPhone. I know most of you will think that is not Apple's responsibility but I believe it is time for Apple to give back to the world and make a difference outside of new products and services for those that can afford them. 

You know that most people live where they do because the choose to and choose to do without modern convenience. As person who has been well connected since the 1980's  (modems if you know what that is), my work phone at one time was Tmobile and it did not work outside major metropolitan areas, at first I hated the idea not being connect and my Boss use to get upset with me because he could not get hold of me when I was on camping trips with the boy scouts. Then I realized, it was actual good not to be connect and my Boss learn to handle issues without me. Just because you think it great to be connect does not mean everyone does. I personal now force myself not to be connected and stop checking emails on the weekend and spend time in areas which do not have infrastructure.

It is not Apple or any companies job to make sure everyone in the world can have their products and can afford them. No where does it say everyone must have what everyone else has. If you want to understand what a world would be like when everyone has what everyone else has, reseach Russia under communist rule.

edited August 2016 cali
  • Reply 27 of 44
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    spice-boy said:
    My concern going forward is that Apple designers, engineers, officers, etc... are living in an extremely well paid and highly privileged world that few of their customers may be able to identify with. Do they understand the masses any longer? I recently spent a month in a very rural place with little to no cell phone service. All my Apple devices were somewhat useless. My point being I would love to see Apple make an effort to expand service and connectivity to the millions of people which live without access to the internet. However they choose to do this, donations, creating a foundation, or government lobbying, it would be a more important thing than introducing new colors for the upcoming iPhone. I know most of you will think that is not Apple's responsibility but I believe it is time for Apple to give back to the world and make a difference outside of new products and services for those that can afford them. 
    Really?  You think it's time for the company that has arguably done more good for the world than any other, to start giving back?  And you say this in the same comment where you totally miss the point that Apple is the company that democratized luxury.  You don't seem to realize that the same iPhone that can be had by a person of modest means is the iPhone carried by the wealthiest and most powerful people on earth.  No matter how much wealth or influence you have, you can't get a better iPhone than is available to the masses.  And that's no small thing, as the iPhone, apart from just about every product on the planet, stands out as a tool that enriches our lives.  Just think of how many stand-alone products we no longer have to pay separately for because of the iPhone.  

And even those who can't afford an iPhone benefit from Apple's work, as all those other phone manufacturers, rather than continuing along the many-button, single tough (if touch at all) display phones they were making before Apple showed the way with the introduction of the iPhone, immediately copied the iPhone with its intuitive multi-touch interaction model.  So now pretty much everyone on the planet is using smartphone's modeled on Apple's work on the iPhone.  

How's that for giving back to the world?  Not to mention the other good works Apple is engaged in under its corporate philosophy to leave the world a better place.
    Worth quoting this foundational statement!
    pscooter63patchythepirate
  • Reply 28 of 44
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The person who said Apple isn't doing enough for the world obviously knows nothing about Apple.

They're doing better things than providing wifi to empty forests.

From solar farms that don't disturb wild life, creating recycling robots, auditing 3rd party manufacturers for humane work environments and conserving a 36,000 acre forest.

Why not ask what other companies are doing or yet, what are YOU doing exactly?
    fastasleeppropodpatchythepirate
  • Reply 29 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    spice-boy said:
    Screw that! Places like you describe are where I would want to go on vacation. Seriously we don't need to be connected 24/7 for the rest of our lives. It is nice to be in places that don't suffer from the ills that constant internet access create. The latest Ill being dodging people doing the Pokemon thing.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 30 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    cali said:
    The person who said Apple isn't doing enough for the world obviously knows nothing about Apple.

From solar farms that don't disturb wild life, creating recycling robots, auditing 3rd party manufacturers for humane work environments and conserving a 36,000 acre forest.

You know I understand the need for better sources of energy but you got it completely wrong with respect to Apples solar electric farms. They damage immense amounts of land, hand that use to be habitats for wild life. Note that these farms become land that is used for nothing else. In a nut shell just because Apples sells something as environmentally friendly does mean it is.
    tallest skilcnocbui
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    Care to elaborate by giving examples of what products you think would not be "seriously meh?" What's the next big thing in your opinion? VR is already passé, autonomous vehicles are ten years away. Don't mention curved screens and other such nonsense. Specifications like faster processors, more memory, etc. are not innovations. Batteries and waterproofing aren't either. I don't see any other company on the planet with a better crystal ball at this time.

The Apple TV is useful only for pre-recorded content. Although it's possible to use it live with various add-ons like the Tablo, these are expensive and limited. Without live streaming for things like news and sports, if you're into that, the usefulness of the product is simply not all it could be. We hear of various efforts to address this, but so far, nothing. Additionally, it's ability to work with your own content is far more limited than it should be. It requires you to leave iTunes running in the background 24/7, and even then it often fails to work for no reason at all. I have a collection of classic movies I'm working my wait through, and it's a serious PITA to do so.

Then there's the Airport. In spite of the hardware inside having the same processor and hardware as other routers, it has many limitations for no reason. For instance, there's a fourth ethernet in there we can't use, and three hidden USB. I have USB printers I'd love to plug into it, but no, I have to use a hub. For all of this, it's slower than any router based on the same platform, in some cases a lot, for no reason. And then there's they way that it has all the files from my Mac, but I still have to run iTunes to share them - why can't it be the iTunes hub and thus let me turn off my main machine? Or the way that it utterly fails as a Windows file share, in spite of claims to the contrary. It's simply not as good a product as it could be with a *little* attention.

And finally, let's move onto my new Mac Pro. I replaced my 2007 vintage Mac Pro with a 2013 model. This is nowhere near as good a machine. It has two GPUs that can only be replaced by sending in the whole machine, in spite of being the part that is the #1 failure point on most high-end workstations. Better yet, they decided to use *two different* non-standard card formats, so not only can you not ever buy a new card for the machine, you can't even swap them out if one fails. And then there's the lack of USB on the front, which means you have to leave your machine turned around all the time, and just the general lack of USB in general, four ports on a workstation? And the lack of even a single internal drive bay, which would trivially fit into the existing case if it was eSATA for a slimline SSD, thus making an all-SSD fusion drive possible. I have to connect an external to do anything, and suffer annoying reboots when the external isn't ready in time for the OS to wake up. Externals are fine for its intended market, but that's just it, it's intended market is this tiny segment of users. For people who just want a good desktop powerhouse machine for development, well, tough, buy an entire iMac every few years.

I realize this will get downvotes for daring to speak negatively, but that's fine. I buy Apple because I demand better, and lately, they simply aren't delivering much better. You should all be holding their feet to the flame too. Don't settle just because it has an Apple logo.

So let me guess this straight. 

Even though Apple has never hidden the fact that the Mac Pro has no internal drive bays or USB ports on the front, has produced a tonne of literature on its specs and what video cards it uses, you went ahead and bought it anyway, knowing full well that it was unsuitable for your needs?

And then you tell people 'Don't settle just because it has an Apple logo'?

Priceless.

Seriously.

tmaypscooter63mattinoznolamacguy
  • Reply 32 of 44
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    I want an Apple toothbrush, with chamfered edges and plaque detection, elimination technology.  I also want it to call to me from the bathroom, "Come brush, baby!"  In a real sexy voice.  I'd buy one of those.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    wizard69 said:
    cali said:

You know I understand the need for better sources of energy but you got it completely wrong with respect to Apples solar electric farms. They damage immense amounts of land, hand that use to be habitats for wild life. Note that these farms become land that is used for nothing else. In a nut shell just because Apples sells something as environmentally friendly does mean it is.
    Okay then.

Let me just say that I live and work in Northern Nevada, not that far from either of Apple's solar farms, and there isn't a word in your statement that is accurate.

I'll even back up my statement:

http://fortune.com/2016/03/23/apple-clean-energy-evolution/

I invite you to drive Interstate 80 from Reno past that Reno Technology Park site, and then hook south on highway 95 at Fernley, and have a visit at the site in Yerington. You might want to keep on driving all the way to Las Vegas just to prove to yourself that most of the trip is fucking desert. 
    badmonkpropod
  • Reply 34 of 44
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Perhaps more importantly, I want Apple (definitely NOT Google) to create these things (whatever they are) that enhance (via technology) my life from waking hours to bed time (a term I use loosely).

How do I know that? Apple Watch and Apple TV are two examples of the best products ever created by any company that are accessible to everyone, IMHO. I have zero complaints on both products, I am using them everyday and I can safely say, I can't live without. These are not just said because I like Apple products. I honestly think they made the best TV box and smart watch ever, and I have been using Android versions far too many to count. I want Apple to create more understated-simple-but-smart day-to-day devices like these.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 35 of 44
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    If they want an Echo competitor evolve the iPod into SiriPod.
    Take the clip-on iPod Nano add wifi or LTE cat-0 with Lightening headphones. Give it a way to stream audio from iPhone or mac, or the business PABX.

Now that would something I'd put on before I leave the house and be in my life everywhere I go.
    Better still use the last shuffle design or both.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    crowley said:
    Weren't we warned about this in that documentary film, Terminator: Genisys?
  • Reply 37 of 44
    spice-boy said:

Misplaced righteous anger. Misguided socialist thoughts. Unwarranted sense of entitlement. 

• Reply 38 of 44
    lkrupp said:

I concur with the point made by Rayz2016 about the Mac Pro. You surely did research it before spending that much on a machine. How come you didn't find that it didn't fit your needs before buying it?

What prevented you from updating the internals on your older Mac Pro?

But you actually made a good argument about your disappointment with the Apple TV and Airport/ TimeCapsule, so congrats. You may have sullied your point a bit with your last sentence, but you did bring up some genuine points.

• Reply 39 of 44
    mac fanmac fan Posts: 87member
    "Our strategy is to help you in every part of your life that we can," Cook added, "whether you're sitting in the living room, on your desktop, on your phone, or in your car."

How about sitting at your desk, pining for a new desktop other than an iMac or a severely limited Mac Pro as outlined by maury m. 

I applaud Apple making devices that 'just work' for the masses. But what about professionals who are getting more and more disenfranchised by commodity products. What can be done with iPads is amazing. But sometimes you need a truck instead of a car.

When Apple announced the iCan Mac Pro, I was both impressed and disappointed at the same time. It had fewer 'answers' and more questions. Many people tried to make it work. And they should be punished for it, since it's specs and paucity of features were well known.

Apple seems to have chosen to leave the professional user far behind. It looks like they've abandoned the truck and turned they back on the truck driver. iMacs have never been more powerful, but are still limited, and all the user can do these days is add RAM, and that's only to the 27" monitor. The mini may be used by some professionals but it's also limiting for the professional user.

The iCan, as good as it may be for some, is still no replacement for a Mac Pro. It falls far short of the upgradeability of previous MP and is bested in some performance areas by some iMacs. I'd like to see a mid-sized tower that has room and connections for- a couple of  3.5" HDs, one flash drive for the system OS, a couple of video cards, a spare
     PCI slot, four slots for memory, and room for an optical drive. Put it all inside one case, and make it smaller than the behemoth that was the Mac Pro.

mattinoz
  • Reply 40 of 44
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    tmay said:
    wizard69 said:
    Okay then.

Let me just say that I live and work in Northern Nevada, not that far from either of Apple's solar farms, and there isn't a word in your statement that is accurate.

I'll even back up my statement:

http://fortune.com/2016/03/23/apple-clean-energy-evolution/

I invite you to drive Interstate 80 from Reno past that Reno Technology Park site, and then hook south on highway 95 at Fernley, and have a visit at the site in Yerington. You might want to keep on driving all the way to Las Vegas just to prove to yourself that most of the trip is fucking desert. 
    Thanks tmay for the rebuttal.  wizard69 thinks that farming soil destroying monoculture crops is better than an Apple solar farm is nonsense.