'Stranger Things' poster created using Apple's iPad Pro and Apple Pencil

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cnocbui said:
    Childless techie boyz *always* claim to have a super-talented offspring, but please do tell us which studio she is currently working for and the number of articles praising her inimitable drawing skillz that are beyond compare.
    She is about to start the final two years of high school, so she isn't currently working in that field and probably won't.  Her portrait of Aung San Suu Kyi for a primary school assignment.

• Reply 22 of 27
    TrueNorth said:
    Crap show. Formulaic, cliche. Nothing new there. They just stole ideas from a couple of dozen movies and tried to peddle it as something new. Watched up to Episode 4, got fed up and gave up.
    Kind of like the poster? Looks like every Speilberg poster ever made. Not saying it isn't pretty, but not exactly novel.

I'm also not sure why the heavy emphasis on the iPad. It seems the artist really could have just sat down at his desktop and not fiddled with the back and forth from the iPad. Creating on iPad and going to desktop once... Sure, but back and forth? Especially since we all know it's still not exactly easy to send info back and forth with the iPad. 

I understand to some extent. "Natural" when I use the word in relation to the iPad  means I'm not fixed to my desk and I can use it whenever wherever I want or feel the inspiration, but the way he described going back and forth just made it sound like he was hoping for or had gotten a sponsorship if he said he used an iPad; when it seems he did most of the heavy lifting on his desktop. I'm looking forward to getting an iPad pro2 to upgrade my old air. It's THE device I've been waiting for, but sometimes I wish people would avoid the hyperbole when they talk about what can be done on an iPad or any device for that matter. It sets users up for disappointment when they wonder why "they can't do what others claim" IMO. Kind of like comparing yourself to an airbrushed model.

I would have jumped on V1 but everything V1 from Apple is vastly inferior to V2 as I've come to learn. That said I've been sharing my knowlege with people on maximizing the use of their iPads including video editing, photo manipulation and design, but I I still find myself tempering expectations. iPads are fantastic and you have every reason to love them in terms of convenience, portability, creativityeasy access, natural feel etc, but it's not EXACTLY the same as using a desktop equivalent where you have all of the power in the world. Apple knows this too. Why else would they be building the features they are into the next version of OSX. Enhancing handoff, copy and past between iOS and OSX etc. It's something Google can't do with android because they don't have a desktop OS and MSFT can't do with Windows because their mobile department is all but dead. It's about integration and using the device appropriate at the moment, but I don't like these silly stories help that narrative when people claim to have "done it all on an iPad". It like the old stories from a few years ago... Oh this movie was cut with FCP. Sure it was... And then sent to Avid, Resolve and Flame. 

edited August 2016
  • Reply 23 of 27
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Soon the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil will evolve to a level where artists do not have to export to a desktop and use a Wacom device.

Better yet, just make a model of Macbook that has this functionality built-in, and then you could do everything on one device. A stylus turns a Mac into a very powerful art creation device, but you really should not have to buy a separate device to do this, and you should have have to own and carry around so many devices.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 24 of 27
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member

Soon the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil will evolve to a level where artists do not have to export to a desktop and use a Wacom device.
    That would be the ideal, however the menu options and other functions that are usually performed using a mouse can be far, far more efficient than a stylus.
    That is not true at all. Stylus use substantially speeds up productivity in most cases (especially in graphics applications).  There's no comparison, the mouse is MUCH slower.  When I'm working, there isn't even a mouse on my desk at all.

Besides that, most of the menu items that one would use in most graphics applications can (and should) be programmed as actions and accessed through hotkeys. That is even faster.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    cnocbui said:
    Use of Photoshop sounds like it was mainly for the color gradients, which is something that most of the drawing/art apps in iOS don't currently include. If all of the line art elements were done in iPad Pro, from prelims to tight renders and finishing touches, that's pretty impressive.
    If the line art drawing shown above is indicative of what was done on the iPad, why is that 'impressive'?   My daughter could do similar with pencils and paper when she was 13.

The line art only drawing shown looks like the prelim stage, as you can see that many of the faces and details were reworked if you compare it to the final line art that appears in the poster. However, that final line art was also done with the iPad Pro according to the article…and that's what is impressive. If you showed someone that final poster and said all the work was done digitally, most people would assume that it was entirely desktop based.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    cnocbui said:
    mac fan said:
    "The iPad is about content consumption, not content creation." -Sentiment casually bandied about the 'net as though it were a fact.
    And confirmed by the article referencing a desktop being used to transform an initial sketch into the final result.  The initial sketch could have as easily been done with pencils and paper for an all up cost in materials of less than €2.  The iPad Pro looks to me like it would be a brilliant way to watch movies on planes and to view digital versions of magazines.
    What was used to create the sketch?

Saying that the sketch could be done on paper doesn't actually say much of anything. The ultimate goal of digital drawing is to create an image as you would on paper, have it feel like working on paper, yet not use paper or be at the mercy of the numerous weaknesses and drawbacks of paper. The reality is that it's possible to make almost any poster like this on paper or canvas with traditional tools and it's possible to make an image like the poster straight on the iPad. It's just that this artist is more comfortable using photoshop for certain things right now. I still use photoshop over programs that I KNOW are better/more powerful for what I need/more efficient because I'm familiar with it and have been using it for decades. Needless to say, there are certain features that I'd like to see added to procreate, but it's still a really nice drawing/painting app and that's what it's best used for.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 27 of 27
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    The iPad pro 9.7 true tone... Is the future! (And the dci-p3 colour range) 
    as it is, the iPad Pro 12.9 is seriously hampered by not have those features in it. 
    i would wait for this feature to be included in the 12.9 iPad pro,  if you want to buy the 12.9 version of the iPad pro... It is that great of a feature.

edited August 2016