Copy protected text on web sites: Is there a way around?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
I've noticed that on some web sites, you cannot copy and paste the text on it while others, you can copy all of it.

Is there a way around this or is there software available that can get around this (without hacking into the web site)?

Thanks in advance to all that answer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>I've noticed that on some web sites, you cannot copy and paste the text on it while others, you can copy all of it.

Is there a way around this or is there software available that can get around this (without hacking into the web site)?

Thanks in advance to all that answer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You could try viewing the source code and seeing what's in there.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Whisper:

<strong>

You could try viewing the source code and seeing what's in there.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This does work but not on all sites (I've done this before).

Thanks for the response.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Link?
  • Reply 4 of 34
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    What sites are you having trouble with?

You could try a browser that doesn't support that feature. A lot of things like being unable to see the source code and unable to download images have no effect in OmniWeb. (does that make since?)
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Perhaps the text you wish to copy is actually part of a Flash part of a website or perhaps the text is an image or if you are trying to copy the code from the source window if the page is in .php it has a feature that will not show the *actual* source of the site.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by trevorM:

<strong>Perhaps the text you wish to copy is actually part of a Flash part of a website or perhaps the text is an image or if you are trying to copy the code from the source window if the page is in .php it has a feature that will not show the *actual* source of the site.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's got to send you the complete source at some point. Otherwise how could your web browser render it?
  • Reply 7 of 34
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    post links!!!

unless its a flash or in an image i don't remember many sites that you couldnt copy ...

heh, i like the right mouse button unabling .. very 'useful' for preventing mac users from copying ...
  • Reply 8 of 34
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    Just curious what your objective for your inquiry? If the web site have such protection, shouldn't you respect it? (I make my living as a licensor of creative images that I copyright. It is upmost important for me to know who uses my images...I'm assuming that such websites you want to obtain info must be similar to my type of business.)
  • Reply 9 of 34
    It's got to send you the complete source at some point. Otherwise how could your web browser render it?

Flash files can be cracked-but they are flattened out to some extent,so you won't be able to recreate all of the information in the original.php is server side,what php does is generate html-you will be able to view the html,but the php scripts remain on the server.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>Link?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll try to find it.

Thanks.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by kwondo:

<strong>Just curious what your objective for your inquiry? If the web site have such protection, shouldn't you respect it? (I make my living as a licensor of creative images that I copyright. It is upmost important for me to know who uses my images...I'm assuming that such websites you want to obtain info must be similar to my type of business.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Whenever I find an interesting article, I save both the link and text (if possible). I've since found that some links disappear so that is why I want to be able to save the text. The articles are usually news, computer, political, or financial in nature and are on topics that are of interest or important to me.

I respect the work of others and have never nor would never use the articles in any way other than for reference, information, or for quoting. I don't usually copy images unless they are relevant to text I am copying.

If I knew the links would always be there, then I would just save them. As it is, I'm using a 5 yr old 8600 with a 2GB HD that is almost maxed out. Every other week, I have to trash stuff or compress files so I don't run out of HD space. So saving articles gets harder each week...
  • Reply 12 of 34
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Have you tried the "add to scrapbook" feature of IE? It's the one of the only reason I still use that browser on occasion. I pay my bills online and then add the receipt page to the scrap book. It's handy.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I've run into this. Sometimes if try IE vs Netscape it will/wont work. Or if I'm on the PeeCee at work or at home on the Mac it will/wont work. NYT seems to do it to me but right now it's not.

I can always get it in the source. Sometimes it's just hard to find the text in there.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>I've run into this. Sometimes if try IE vs Netscape it will/wont work. Or if I'm on the PeeCee at work or at home on the Mac it will/wont work. NYT seems to do it to me but right now it's not.

I can always get it in the source. Sometimes it's just hard to find the text in there.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't think I've ever tried another browser. If I can find the link where I couldn't copy the text, I'll fire up IE and see if it works.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Maybe it's a bug and not a feature
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Here is a great app for downloading web pages and sites-works great on OSX.

<a href="http://www.epicware.com/webgrabber.html"; target="_blank">http://www.epicware.com/webgrabber.html</a>;
  • Reply 17 of 34
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    You could also save the page as a PDF.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    NYT is doing it to me no using Netscape 4.7 and NT4 but in IE on the same system it works?
  • Reply 19 of 34
    On Firefox I went to Tools > Options > Content and disabled java and javascript. This allowed me to copy everything from the website the regular way.

(I know this thread is old but it might help people since it shows up on google.)
  • Reply 20 of 34
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    great answer - and only 5 years late