'Apple Watch 2' with GPS, barometer, better waterproofing, more to launch in 2H of 2016

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Soli said:

Does a barometer need to work alongside the accelerometer to account for "floors climbed"? 

Yes, you need the barometer to measure floors climbed. And I'm pretty sure it works with the accelerometer because it seems you need to be moving forward and up for it to count. It won't add floors climbed if you go up 20 flights on an elevator, for instance. (Although, I wonder what would happen if I was alone on the elevator and could walk in circles while ascending.)

If the Watch 2 has GPS, that alone will give you altitude. But perhaps these miniature GPS sensors don't provide altitude to an accurate enough degree. Also, like with WiFi, the barometer data could be combined with the GPS data for a more accurate measurement of altitude and a faster display of what the altitude is.

If you are hiking, knowledge of the terrain should give you altitude. If you are in a building, and knowledge of the building design combined with the barometer maybe able to give you the altitude change.

But the key thing is GPS. It should be able to give you latitude, longitude and altitude to within tens of feet. Certainly should be able to give you a decent rate of change in position.

Wonder how the barometer is design and whether it can measure how deep in the water it is too.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Argh, the rumor for a cellular modem is for a 2018 model!

Ok, Watch 2 in 2016, then I purchase a Watch 3 in 2018? GPS does indeed get me half of what I wanted, but that LTE modem is a big feature enabler.

Then a Watch 1 with a 16 nm S1 SoC? Perfectly possible. Apple did a die shrink update for the A5 SoC in an iPad model, and Apple TV models, awhile back right? Without rebranding the device that is. If so, this could gain back the battery runtime losses introduced with WatchOS 3. Another price drop to $250?
  • Reply 43 of 53
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    > LTE support for standalone cellphone and data functionality

How exactly is that going to work with cellular carriers? I am *not* buying a separate cell plan for my watch. 
  • Reply 44 of 53
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    For the same reason they still sell 16GB iPhones: price segmentation. 
    Apple's lineups are getting way too bloated. They need to get back to simplicity. If Apple does decide to sell an updated gen 1 watch hopefully it will just be one model and not all the SKU's we have now.
    not really.

https://techpinions.com/why-2016-isnt-1997-for-apple/44434
    pscooter63
  • Reply 45 of 53
    alexmacalexmac Posts: 49member
    staticx57 said:
    Is "2H' a common abbreviation for 'the second half of the year?' When I first saw the headline, I thought (hoped?) it meant 2 hours.
    Yes it is actually
    staticx57 said:
    Yes it is actually
    In my mind "2H" has always been a slightly hard pencil lead!
    In business is H2. I am used to this abbreviation not 2H. At first I did not understand it either.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 46 of 53
    I am actually glad to hear they will add GPS (if true), as that will make distance tracking during runs way more accurate. Not too worried about GPS impacting battery life, as I doubt Apple would let battery life slip past where it's at now.  My frustration isn't with the Watch itself, it's with what to do with the $300+ in extra Watch Bands I bought when they aren't strapped to the Watch. I couldn't find any good options, so I made this; www.applewatchdisplay.com - anyone else run into this, or am I the only weirdo with too many Watch bands?
  • Reply 47 of 53
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    tht said:

Yes, you need the barometer to measure floors climbed. And I'm pretty sure it works with the accelerometer because it seems you need to be moving forward and up for it to count. It won't add floors climbed if you go up 20 flights on an elevator, for instance. (Although, I wonder what would happen if I was alone on the elevator and could walk in circles while ascending.)

If the Watch 2 has GPS, that alone will give you altitude. But perhaps these miniature GPS sensors don't provide altitude to an accurate enough degree. Also, like with WiFi, the barometer data could be combined with the GPS data for a more accurate measurement of altitude and a faster display of what the altitude is.

If you are hiking, knowledge of the terrain should give you altitude. If you are in a building, and knowledge of the building design combined with the barometer maybe able to give you the altitude change.

But the key thing is GPS. It should be able to give you latitude, longitude and altitude to within tens of feet. Certainly should be able to give you a decent rate of change in position.

Wonder how the barometer is design and whether it can measure how deep in the water it is too.

GPS can give you altitude if it can see at least 4 satellites. In a built-up area or indoors that can be a problem. Plus 10 feet isn't really enough to isolate a floor, for example.

Besides, the iPhone has had a barometer for a few years now. It's mainly to tell when you're going up stairs, and to adjust your activity tracking accordingly. A barometer isn't going to be so useful measuring actual height without knowing the pressure at sea-level, but it can sense the change in pressure and give an estimation as to how far you've risen (or fallen).

Of course, if there's a sudden drop in pressure, then it might get confused, although if it's calibrated with the motion sensor properly it ought to be able to tell if you haven't moved. And if the pressure drop is really sudden, you probably have bigger worries than whether you climbed 10 flights or 13 today.

I expect the Watch, if it gets a barometer, will use the same one that's in the iPhone. I have no idea how well that goes at measuring pressure underwater, and I'm in no immediate hurry to find out.

patchythepirate
  • Reply 48 of 53
    mac fanmac fan Posts: 87member
    ejwbauer said:

so I made this; www.applewatchdisplay.com - anyone else run into this, or am I the only weirdo with too many Watch bands?
    Nice looking kit, but it doesn't do anything to help us with too many. It only holds two extra Watch bands and only one Watch. That doesn't even begin to come close to the average Watch fan. But it's still nice kit.

I want to see a round Apple Watch. Yeah, Yeah, it's not the most efficient shape. WhoTF cares. A black t-shirt and Levi's may be fine for some people, but a change is nice. As a Watch fan, the first thing a watch or Watch has to tell me is the time, then the day/date. The other features can vary depending on what I'm about on any given day. If Apple goes round, it probably won't be anytime soon. As the Watch is marketed as a fashion item, there should be a round version as well.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac fan said:
    ejwbauer said:

so I made this; www.applewatchdisplay.com - anyone else run into this, or am I the only weirdo with too many Watch bands?
    I want to see a round Apple Watch. Yeah, Yeah, it's not the most efficient shape. WhoTF cares. A black t-shirt and Levi's may be fine for some people, but a change is nice. As a Watch fan, the first thing a watch or Watch has to tell me is the time, then the day/date. The other features can vary depending on what I'm about on any given day. If Apple goes round, it probably won't be anytime soon. As the Watch is marketed as a fashion item, there should be a round version as well.
    I don't understand your comment followed by "WhoTF cares.[sic]". Apple cares, but more importantly this isn't just a cosmetic change we're talking about, but creating an entirely new UI for watchOS to go on a round display (or you're wanting the same rectangular display in a round casing, which is its own issue). In either case you have a huge number of engineering issues that need to be dealt with which is not the same as your "simplistic black t-shit and Levi's" example.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Interesting rumor. My hope/prediction:

$199 Apple Watch Sport (V1.5): glass, one color (aluminum) [+$50 for 42mm]
    $299 Apple Watch Aluminum (V2): sapphire, 4 colors (aluminum, gold, rose gold, space grey) [+$50 for 42mm]
    $499 Apple Watch SS (V2): sapphire, 2 colors (silver, space black) [+$50 for 42mm]*
    $699 Apple Watch Titanium (V2): sapphire, matching link bracelet and Milanese loop [+$100 for 42mm]

*Silver would be mostly a placeholder, with most people that would consider this ultimately opting for Aluminum or Titanium.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Soli said:
    I don't understand...
    Obviously.

Every time someone mentions a round Apple watch, some nimrod wants to give reasons why it's an insurmountable problem or why it "shouldn't" be done.  I like the Apple Watch but a rectangular Watch for decades to come is black t-shirt and Levi's forever. Some people are comfortable with that. I want some change. New bands won't be enough. A new UI. SO WHAT. It can be done.  

Jobs said something about nobody wanting a phone bigger that 3.5". How'd that work out. So I also want a round Watch. The Watch is a FASHION item as well as a functional item. Some sacrifice can be afforded for an item that's about FASHION. It's not like Apple hasn't done it before, and with products that weren't primarily meant to be a fashion item. I never said it was trivial. 

So they'll very likely make a round Watch in time. I just want it sooner than later.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac fan said:
    Soli said:
    Obviously.

Every time someone mentions a round Apple watch, some nimrod wants to give reasons why it's an insurmountable problem or why it "shouldn't" be done.  I like the Apple Watch but a rectangular Watch for decades to come is black t-shirt and Levi's forever. Some people are comfortable with that. I want some change. New bands won't be enough. A new UI. SO WHAT. It can be done.  

Jobs said something about nobody wanting a phone bigger that 3.5". How'd that work out. So I also want a round Watch. The Watch is a FASHION item as well as a functional item. Some sacrifice can be afforded for an item that's about FASHION. It's not like Apple hasn't done it before, and with products that weren't primarily meant to be a fashion item. I never said it was trivial. 

So they'll very likely make a round Watch in time. I just want it sooner than later.
    1) I'm not sure what my excellent hunting skills have to do with anything, but thanks anyway¡

2) I'm curious why you're so upset when you're presented with reasons why a company may choose not to do something. If I had said that I want an iPhone display that is harder than diamond, would you not explain why this isn't likely even though it's not impossible?

3) I don't recall Jobs saying nobody wants a phone bigger than 3.5". 

4) No, you never said it was trivial, but you also don't seem to have considered how this would be accomplished. Do you think Apple could update their Mac Pro more frequently? I do, and yet they haven't. Why is that? Is it because you didn't "wish" for it, or do you think there are other reasons where someone may have pointed out some basic hurdles for Apple, like rate of return on engineering for a low-volume machine and Intel's slowing down of their Xeon-based workstation processors as reasons why Apple may not be so inclined to throw money at a "surmountable problem."
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Soli said:  blah blah blah blah blah...

I opined that I want to see Apple make a round Watch because as a FASHION item one shape will get old after awhile. The Watch clearly developed and marketed as a FASHION accessory with a dusting of Apple Goodness.  

I don't consider how it's done anymore than I consider how Apple is to get better battery life out of device. Not my job. If I was expecting Apple to do something impossible or financially irresponsible, then it would be a different story. This isn't a matter of me saying "Why won't Apple..." It's a matter of me saying "I want..." Whether Apple does it or not is Apple's decision.

You act as though you need to school me on... something. You're imagined need says more about you than me.

Apple may never make a round Watch (but I doubt that). That won't stop me from wanting to see them make one, any more than my wanting to see them changes anywhere else along their product lines. 

I'm not sure if you're deliberately being obtuse about Jobs opinion on phone size or not. If not, then you're possibly equally ignorant of his feelings on styli, small tablets, and apps on the iPhone. 

You've told me a) nothing I don't already know b) nothing that  need be told and c) nothing that changes anything. You've merely chosen to perform some mental masturbation based on something you inferred, and nothing I implied. And I'm not playing.