Redesigned, ultra-thin MacBook Pro with AMD GPU not expected to debut at 'iPhone 7' event Sept. 7

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    cnocbui said:
    The current model has a 47W CPU alone. Running both the CPU and the GPU at max pushes you to 91W. Older models were even worse; the 2012's were easily over 100W at peak. 
    My current MBPR with magsafe has an 85W supply and a theoretical max load of 90w, leaving a very small 5w deficit.  Can you please describe to me the circumstances that would have both the CPU and GPU running absolutely flat out for hours.  
    Video rendering. 

I've also personally encountered situations where booting from a completely depleted battery right into a production situation (I use my aging 2011 13" MBP onstage) resulted in the machine going right back to sleep. 

Edge cases, to be sure, but these machines are designated "pro" equipment. 
    afrodribadmonk
  • Reply 22 of 60

toranaga said:
    OCD with "ultra-thin" continues. Fine if they have Thunderbolt 3 with external graphics card option. Delay in getting update out the door, ("Real artists ship"), meanwhile Mac sales volume down, market share down, means Apple missed a huge opportunity due to failed Windows 8.1 and unsatisfactory Windows 10. I am using OS X 11.4 and find it inferior to 11.3. Spotlight is buggy. I had to reboot the OS the other week due to a freeze-up. Tim Cook is not capable of running this company. Maybe Apple should buy Tesla and let Elon Musk run the whole operation. Then you could buy a spaceship, solar panels, batteries, and information technology all under one roof! Anyway, we need someone better running Apple. Maybe Trump if he doesn't win? Instead of making the laptops thinner, he would make them Yuge!
    ...but with tiny keyboards. :smiley: 

Mac laptop sales are way up, btw, due to the updated 12" MacBook selling really well. 
    nolamacguyP-DogNCRayz2016
  • Reply 23 of 60
    What I find fascinating are those that whine about the ever thinning chassis, but then turn around and pine for smaller bezels. I use my MBP every single day and I don't think I've ever thought "boy, these black bezels are really ruining my experience." The only time I ever even consider them is when I see my dad's Dell XPS, which has impressively small bezels. At the same time, there's no "practical" reason for them to be smaller unless the machine fits easier into a bag or something. All of my bags are designed to fit this exact shape, so it's never been an issue. I'd much prefer a physically larger display fitted inside the same size chassis (thus having smaller bezels, but not for the sake of smaller bezels themselves). Then again I'd also prefer better/faster stuff inside a lower case that's the same size as it is now, instead of a thinner machine, but we know isn't going to happen.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    rob53 said:
    Will this MacBook Pro actually be a "Pro" model or another space handicapped laptop? I need a new Mac, my iMac from early 2009 isn't going to run macOS Sierra so I need to figure out whether I want to buy a laptop and an external monitor or another iMac. I use my iPhone on the road but there are things that just won't work easily on a phone or an iPad. A laptop would be easy to take on the road but unless it's capable of doing all the things I do on my iMac, it won't be worth it.

Will the AMD GPU be speed/performance limited because of its size? Will Apple be forced to use a speed-limited CPU because of cooling and battery life? 
    what things would a new MBP not be able to do that you can do on your 2009 iMac?
    Absolutely nothing other than holding a 4TB drive. That wasn't my question (actually it was but not what I was thinking and didn't write). I want to replace my old iMac and am wondering if getting a new MBP with external monitor would be enough instead of getting a newer iMac (since the new ones aren't really that new). The MBP+(third-party) display is going to cost about the same as a fully loaded 27" iMac ($3500, get EPP discount) and the iMac is going to have more power, both CPU and GPU, than anything a laptop will have. 
  • Reply 25 of 60
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I wouldn't have expected it to be announced at the iPhone event. I would have expected an August (which is unlikely at this point) or October for all these new Macs. 
  • Reply 26 of 60
    spheric said:

toranaga said:
    OCD with "ultra-thin" continues. Fine if they have Thunderbolt 3 with external graphics card option. Delay in getting update out the door, ("Real artists ship"), meanwhile Mac sales volume down, market share down, means Apple missed a huge opportunity due to failed Windows 8.1 and unsatisfactory Windows 10. I am using OS X 11.4 and find it inferior to 11.3. Spotlight is buggy. I had to reboot the OS the other week due to a freeze-up. Tim Cook is not capable of running this company. Maybe Apple should buy Tesla and let Elon Musk run the whole operation. Then you could buy a spaceship, solar panels, batteries, and information technology all under one roof! Anyway, we need someone better running Apple. Maybe Trump if he doesn't win? Instead of making the laptops thinner, he would make them Yuge!
    ...but with tiny keyboards. :smiley: 

Mac laptop sales are way up, btw, due to the updated 12" MacBook selling really well. 
    Tiny keyboards-- funny!    Your point about the MacBook reinforces what I am saying (typing) about the lack of updates for the rest of the line. It was possible to do one or two incremental updates in order to get buyers dissatisfied with Windows and looking to change, but who for some time have seen machines with chips released in 2013. These folks don't yet have loyalty to Apple, so when they need a machine, they are looking to buy a machine, and they are not going to wait for Apple.  Fortune Mag today on Q2: "Apple’s Mac sales dropped 11% to 4.3 million computers. Revenue from Macs dropped 13% to $5.2 billion."  
  • Reply 27 of 60
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    toranaga said:
    Welcome to TrollCon 2016! Please find the updated FUD packets under your chair. 
    P-DogNCwilliamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 28 of 60

I would love it if this has a Polaris GPU.  

Even more importantly I need 32GB of RAM.

Though maybe a PCIe SSD drive will be fast enough to make this less of a problem.... But right now 16GB is not enough, and my SSD is slow on this aging Macbook Pro.

Even better- I hope the external GPU rumors are true.  Would love to have an external GPU box that I can leave at home for gaming.
    tallguy
  • Reply 29 of 60
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rob53 said:
    what things would a new MBP not be able to do that you can do on your 2009 iMac?
    Absolutely nothing other than holding a 4TB drive. That wasn't my question (actually it was but not what I was thinking and didn't write). I want to replace my old iMac and am wondering if getting a new MBP with external monitor would be enough instead of getting a newer iMac (since the new ones aren't really that new). The MBP+(third-party) display is going to cost about the same as a fully loaded 27" iMac ($3500, get EPP discount) and the iMac is going to have more power, both CPU and GPU, than anything a laptop will have. 
    I was referring to what you said, that a new MBP pro wouldn't be worth it for you unless it was "capable of doing all the things I do on my iMac", and your iMac is 2009...thus my question. I'm pretty sure a new MBP could do just about anything you do on your 2009 iMac. storage space is a variable, not exactly a job to be done...but can of course be added to either machine.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    toranaga said:
    Why are you on 10.11.4 when 10.11.6 is the current version? 
    tallguyfastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 60
    I was at the Apple store yesterday, shaking my head at the candy-colored MacBooks with light weight processors, no ports, no upgrade options, and outrageous price tags. My 2009 MBP isn't going to last forever, and I'm scared to death I'm not going to like the new lineup. Less is not always more. The new MBP better have USB3, Ethernet port, headphone jack and an SD card slot, or I'll have to consider a MBP from the current lineup. - Which I haven't bought due to lack of upgradable internal parts. 
  • Reply 32 of 60
    lawrance said:
    I was at the Apple store yesterday, shaking my head at the candy-colored MacBooks with light weight processors, no ports, no upgrade options, and outrageous price tags. My 2009 MBP isn't going to last forever, and I'm scared to death I'm not going to like the new lineup. Less is not always more. The new MBP better have USB3, Ethernet port, headphone jack and an SD card slot, or I'll have to consider a MBP from the current lineup. - Which I haven't bought due to lack of upgradable internal parts. 
    You are not the target market for the MacBook.

If you need a laptop with a built-in Ethernet port, you're never gonna be buying another Apple laptop. 
    edited August 2016 williamlondonfastasleepwelshdogtallguy
  • Reply 33 of 60
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I would expect October at this point as well. Good for Christmas presents and college finals.

Also gives them an opportunity to add the Lightning port (where the mag-safe port was if the "leaked" case rumors are correct). They can also do a rMB update replacing the headphone jack with the Lightning port and possibly adding Touch ID to it as well, giving the latest model 6 months on the market, similar to the mid-cycle update to the iPad 3 from 30-pin to Lightning.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 34 of 60
    toranaga said:
    Why are you on 10.11.4 when 10.11.6 is the current version? 
    I do a lot of work on my computer and have a lot of open programs and windows. When I finish a project, I close up the programs and windows, then do updates. 
  • Reply 35 of 60
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    toranaga said:
    Tim Cook is not capable of running this company.
    LOL. Reality seems to prove otherwise.
    williamlondonjahaja
  • Reply 36 of 60
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    lawrance said:
    The current MBP doesn't have an Ethernet port, so you're going to be waiting for a very long time and then you'll die without a MBP.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    toranaga said:
    Tim Cook is not capable of running this company.
    LOL. Reality seems to prove otherwise.
    We shall see. It took a while for the company to go down under Sculley and Spindler.
    My contention is that he is not capable of running all the divisions. And now they have taken a big hit to their image in China, and sales of the iPhone
    in India are not good. And the OCD on 'wafer thin' at the expense of function.
    bigpics
  • Reply 38 of 60
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    fallenjt said:
    LED-creen touch bar = genius! 
    Touch ID = don't care. 
    smaller footprint = nice if it's edge-to-edge display.

I agree, a context sensitive touch screen bar on the keyboard for many of the simple things that need adjusting is brilliant!  This will obviously have to be built in to macOS so one has to wonder if one day MacBook Pros might actually have a touch screen.  Perhaps not in the same way or to the same extent as Windows 10 but for similar uses as this.
    I like the idea behind this, but I don't want the F-keys replaced. On iOS the F-keys don't exist and it's annoying when you use a bluetooth keyboard and the F-keys just adjust the volume and screen brightness instead of passing it to the app.

The best way to implement this is to put this to put the touch "buttons" in spaces that actually are wasted on large laptops (eg the frame-edge), but knowing how Apple does things, they may just turn the entire keyboard into a touchpad.

• Reply 39 of 60
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The Mac release schedule is becoming a joke, I hope someone high up at Apple is screaming the place down that the current upgrade cycles for major product lines are not acceptable.
    toranagatallguycnocbui
  • Reply 40 of 60
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    crowley said:
    The Mac release schedule is becoming a joke, I hope someone high up at Apple is screaming the place down that the current upgrade cycles for major product lines are not acceptable.
    Hah. Rest assured no one is doing that at Apple. They are not concerned with Keeping up with the Joneses,  particularly when the Joneses are low profit, commodity laptop producers not worth worrying about.  Has there been some big CPU chip performance breakthrough we haven't heard about that every other comunfacturer has been using for three years?  Nope.
    fastasleep