Samsung accused of poisoning over 200 workers, then withholding information on toxins it exposed th

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I'm waiting for someone in the illiterate tech press to make this Apple's fault: 

"Of course, if the success of the iPhone hadn't squeezed Samsung's profits then the Korean company wouldn't feel the need to cut corners on health an safety. It's time for Tim Cook to go."
    capasicumstourqueericthehalfbeeintrepidfosterrovertDan Andersen
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Baldwyn said:
    [irrelevant crap]
    *plonk*
    baconstangmagman1979capasicumpscooter63pacificfilmnolamacguyrovert
  • Reply 23 of 62
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    jesus this headline is so vicious and misleading
  • Reply 24 of 62
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    why- said:
    The truth aint always pretty.
    capasicumigorskyintrepidfosterjbdragon
  • Reply 25 of 62
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    cali said:
    Engadget and all these trash tech sites better report this sh*t like they did the lies about Apple being somehow connected to Foxconn suicides(who manufactures for pretty much everyone.)

If they do, it'll be under the headline ……… Factory workers are exposed to deadly toxins, while making LCD's for Apple iPhones. 
    macseekerbaconstangcapasicumstourqueintrepidfosterrovertDan Andersenjbdragon
  • Reply 26 of 62
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    why- said:
    And what is so misleading and vicious? Worried your Samsung trolling paycheck might be cut in half now that the truth is seeing the light of day in North America?
    capasicumigorskyintrepidfostertopper24hoursjbdragon
  • Reply 27 of 62
    polishpolish Posts: 25member
    There are 1.5 million Americans with Lupus, mostly young people. That's 0.47%. 0.47% of Samsung's 489,000 employees would be 2,299 people with Lupus. And this story is about 200 people with leukemia, lupus, lymphoma OR multiple sclerosis? Filed in the round cabinet in the corner.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 28 of 62
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    This is very sad.  People should go to work to get a living, not to die. 
    But this is not a Samsung only issue.  All big tech companies (including Apple, Google, Microsoft, ...) are pushing the component manufacturers for lower prices, and this cost pressure is leading to such painful working circumstances. 
    The fact that Samsung also produces the components for its smartphones is pure coincidence
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 29 of 62
    I was always amazed that no other Tech company was ever sited in these 'Apple is running sweat shops' stories ; when clearly all the Tech companies are guilty of turning a blind eye on the manufacturing conditions off shore. Isn't that why the manufacturing of almost everything is off shore? The reason things are cheaper to build off shore is because you can ignore, or have your suppliers ignore the very expensive costs like making sure your employees survive their employment and live long healthy lives.
    gatorguycnocbuiintrepidfoster
  • Reply 30 of 62
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    So THIS is the next big thing.  Sammy's on a roll.
    baconstangrovert
  • Reply 31 of 62
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    why- said:
    And what is so misleading and vicious? Worried your Samsung trolling paycheck might be cut in half now that the truth is seeing the light of day in North America?
    I couldn't give two licks about Samsung. They're a ridiculous company that makes ok products
    the headline just makes it seem like this was intentional, like Samsung slipped cyanide into their drinks
    gatorguycnocbui
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cropr said:
    But this is not a Samsung only issue.  All big tech companies (including Apple, Google, Microsoft, ...) are pushing the component manufacturers for lower prices, and this cost pressure is leading to such painful working circumstances. 
    The fact that Samsung also produces the components for its smartphones is pure coincidence

But Apple, Google and Microsoft aren't spending millions to cover up the deaths of their employees as far as we know. 
    gatorguybaconstangtopper24hoursradarthekatDan Andersenjbdragon
  • Reply 33 of 62
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Rayz2016 said:
    cropr said:

But Apple, Google and Microsoft aren't spending millions to cover up the deaths of their employees as far as we know. 
    Indeed, just another advantage of outsourcing
    singularity
  • Reply 34 of 62
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    One must understand difference between suicide and die due to corporate negligence. People do suicide for their own personal reasons(family issues,not happy with life or whatever) but people get killed inside company premise due to company's safety standards or negligence is totally different. Foxcom vs Samsung, who is criminal.
    edited August 2016 baconstangjbdragon
  • Reply 35 of 62
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    polish said:
    There are 1.5 million Americans with Lupus, mostly young people. That's 0.47%. 0.47% of Samsung's 489,000 employees would be 2,299 people with Lupus. And this story is about 200 people with leukemia, lupus, lymphoma OR multiple sclerosis? Filed in the round cabinet in the corner.

But not all of Samsung employees works in factories making LCD's and semi-conductors. They also make refrigerators, washer and dryers, small kitchen appliances, cameras, software, computers, autos, helicopters, TV's, etc..  Plus not all workers in LCD and semi-conductor factories work with toxic chemicals. If the 200 cases are confined to employees working with toxic chemicals in their LCD and semi-conductors factories, then you can toss that 2,299 number out the window, when using the .47% for all of 489,000 Samsung employees. There might only be 20,000 workers in the target group and when using the .47% number would only yield 97 employees, so 200 would be twice the average in the US.
    intrepidfostertopper24hoursradarthekatjbdragon
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Mike Daisey is on top of this, right?
    lkruppnolamacguypatchythepiratebaconstangDan Andersenpscooter63
  • Reply 37 of 62
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    darelrex said:
    Mike Daisey is on top of this, right?
    I was just about to say the same thing. LOL!
    darelrex
  • Reply 38 of 62
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    wait till Samsung unleashes the Korean orphans to post troll comments about how unfair this article is....

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/15/4227380/samsung-taiwan-investigated-misleading-online-comments-against-htc
    baconstangDan Andersen
  • Reply 39 of 62
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 said:
    HEADLINE: TOP APPLE VENDOR RESPONSIBLE FOR POISONING EMPLOYEES

Why isn't this news on the Verge or any other Pro-Samsung website?
    Why isn't this being picked up by Business Insider or Forbes?
    The Verge did give very short mention of this last August. Their tone was certainly were very kind to them too, so yeah there may be some bias there (what site isn't?)
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/3/9089407/samsung-cancer-fund-sick-workers-families
    There's dozens of other articles on sickened Samsung workers throughout last fall in other newspapers, mags and on-line blogs too. Just do a web search for "Samsung workers sickened".

With that said I don't know what lead to this report. It's not new is it? 
  • Reply 40 of 62
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    revenant said:
    I have a hard time with is if you ask any Korean on the street about this, they are very mad about it- but they STILL buy Samsung stuff. I thought Americans were patriotic- the East has a jingoistic fervor that is unmatched.

Consumerism. We have the same problem here with Walmarts. They destroy any [small] community that they move into, but people still flock to them for the lowest prices, regardless of the cost that the low-margin retailer has on the world around it. And we all wonder why life is so expensive...

Many Asians that I know love their Samsungs, and don't seem to care about whether the company is good or bad. They just love the devices. So short-sighted, if you ask me. I choose Apple, not only because I feel they are the best products (for me), but because I know that Apple has heart at every level of their business. Perfect, no. But heart.
    radarthekatlordjohnwhorfinjbdragon