Samsung accused of poisoning over 200 workers, then withholding information on toxins it exposed th

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    HEADLINE: TOP APPLE VENDOR RESPONSIBLE FOR POISONING EMPLOYEES

Why isn't this news on the Verge or any other Pro-Samsung website?
    Why isn't this being picked up by Business Insider or Forbes?
    The Verge did give very short mention of this last August. Their tone was certainly were very kind to them too, so yeah there may be some bias there (what site isn't?) 

The Verge is a generic tech site that covers all sorts of topics. There should be no bias. I expect bias when I go to an Apple or Samsung specific site.

It's fun to go back to The Verge every now and again to post up that picture of Patel with his studded leather bracelet while he's complaining the Apple Watch looks tacky. And set my stopwatch to see how long before your comment gets removed.
    nolamacguypatchythepirateDan Andersen
  • Reply 42 of 62
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    Baldwyn said:
    I guess it's better for Apple that their workers kill themselves at Foxconn? Typical Cupertino propaganda. 
    Wow, you are a special sort of douche.
    edited August 2016 patchythepiratebaconstanglordjohnwhorfinjbdragonspice-boy
  • Reply 43 of 62
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    why- said:
    jesus this headline is so vicious and misleading
    What's misleading about it?  Please explain.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 44 of 62
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:

The Verge did give very short mention of this last August. Their tone was certainly were very kind to them too, so yeah there may be some bias there (what site isn't?) 

The Verge is a generic tech site that covers all sorts of topics. There should be no bias. I expect bias when I go to an Apple or Samsung specific site.

It's fun to go back to The Verge every now and again to post up that picture of Patel with his studded leather bracelet while he's complaining the Apple Watch looks tacky. And set my stopwatch to see how long before your comment gets removed.
    Whose comment? I missed it unless it already got removed.
    EDIT:, Oh got it. Comments at the Verge about Patel get removed. Not surprising.

As for bias on general industry websites it would be nice if there never were any, but inviting Fandom helps pays the bills so it's pretty tough to find one that completely lacks any. Even then readers committed to some specific interest may believe they see bias where there was none, I'm and not directing that towards the Verge. I don't read them enough to judge it, preferring Ars, Re/code and TechCrunch for general tech news. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 45 of 62
    Because components suppliers may continue abusing their employees and using legal maneuvers to avoid responsibility for their actions, Apple should establish an independent, non-profit agency that provides non-expert legal counseling to employees of its electronics component suppliers. In meritorious cases the agency should offer financial grants for hiring capable legal assistance. Class actions and punitive damage cases should be part of the agency's mission. An effort of that nature should morally shield Apple from criticism over "tolerating" inhumane treatment of workers in its supply chain.
    baconstang
  • Reply 46 of 62
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    apple ][ said:
    Trump would tell them to 'just change careers, it's a free market baby'.
    Hillary, who is financed by shady foreigners and terrorists, would gladly take a donation from Samsung, and then lie to the faces of the victim's families.
    please prove this...... oh I thought so. 
    It is shameful you can use the pain and suffering of workers in a heartless company as fuel for your hate of one of our Presidential candidates. 
    baconstangsingularitylordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 47 of 62
    polishpolish Posts: 25member
    davidw said:
    polish said:
    There are 1.5 million Americans with Lupus, mostly young people. That's 0.47%. 0.47% of Samsung's 489,000 employees would be 2,299 people with Lupus. And this story is about 200 people with leukemia, lupus, lymphoma OR multiple sclerosis? Filed in the round cabinet in the corner.

But not all of Samsung employees works in factories making LCD's and semi-conductors. They also make refrigerators, washer and dryers, small kitchen appliances, cameras, software, computers, autos, helicopters, TV's, etc..  Plus not all workers in LCD and semi-conductor factories work with toxic chemicals. If the 200 cases are confined to employees working with toxic chemicals in their LCD and semi-conductors factories, then you can toss that 2,299 number out the window, when using the .47% for all of 489,000 Samsung employees. There might only be 20,000 workers in the target group and when using the .47% number would only yield 97 employees, so 200 would be twice the average in the US.
    Even using your estimate of 20,000, your calculations to prove your point are nonsense, as the 200 includes people with ALL those diseases, not just lupus. in any case 2x could easily be accounted for by ethnic/genetic differences. For example in the UK, Afro-carribeans have 4.7x the incidence of lupus compared with white people. This story fails at the first hurdle. To me it just looks like worker agitation to get free healthcare. I'm not saying Samsung shouldn't offer that sort of support; just that it is wrong to smear them with misleading claims.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 48 of 62
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Baldwyn said:
    I guess it's better for Apple that their workers kill themselves at Foxconn? Typical Cupertino propaganda. 
    Welcome, troll! Please find your updated FUD packets under your seat. 
    jbdragon
  • Reply 49 of 62
    gatorguy said:

It was so disappointing that Gruber had patel on The Talk Show. It was painfully awkward to hear patel trying to pretend like he actually has an objective opinion about Apple. Seems like he's got some emotional issues to work through. The sad thing is that patel kept trying to promote the verge as a mainstream 'culture' website. Pretty asinine when they don't even have objective tech coverage.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,047member
    polish said:
    davidw said:

But not all of Samsung employees works in factories making LCD's and semi-conductors. They also make refrigerators, washer and dryers, small kitchen appliances, cameras, software, computers, autos, helicopters, TV's, etc..  Plus not all workers in LCD and semi-conductor factories work with toxic chemicals. If the 200 cases are confined to employees working with toxic chemicals in their LCD and semi-conductors factories, then you can toss that 2,299 number out the window, when using the .47% for all of 489,000 Samsung employees. There might only be 20,000 workers in the target group and when using the .47% number would only yield 97 employees, so 200 would be twice the average in the US.
    Even using your estimate of 20,000, your calculations to prove your point are nonsense, as the 200 includes people with ALL those diseases, not just lupus. in any case 2x could easily be accounted for by ethnic/genetic differences. For example in the UK, Afro-carribeans have 4.7x the incidence of lupus compared with white people. This story fails at the first hurdle. To me it just looks like worker agitation to get free healthcare. I'm not saying Samsung shouldn't offer that sort of support; just that it is wrong to smear them with misleading claims.
    The point was that it was useless to use all Samsung employees when they are only looking at a small portion of employees working with toxic chemicals. It may be less than 2000 employees in that target group, so 200 would be a significant number even if one include ALL diseases. So yes, my 20,000 is just as useless as using all Samsung employees.

The smearing the Samsung is enduring is not that there are employees coming down with illness that may be related to chemical exposure in their work environment. Samsung deserves all the smearing for hiding information that may be related to these employees coming down with illnesses that may be related to chemical exposure and information that can lead to a safer work environment for their employees working with chemicals.

In the US, OSHA could shut them down if records are not kept of all such employees working with hazardous chemicals, training of such employees and all safety measures in place for such employees to eliminate any unsafe level of exposure to hazardous chemicals. Hazardous chemicals includes chemical that contains known carcinogens or suspected of causing cancer. And those records must be released to OSHA when they are investigating any death that might be work related. Otherwise OSHA will shut them down.  

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hazardoustoxicsubstances/
    baconstangjbdragon
  • Reply 51 of 62
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:

The Verge is a generic tech site that covers all sorts of topics. There should be no bias.
    Surprisingly they don't even deny an Apple bias. Actually wrote a piece on it!
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/23/9381325/apple-bias-iphone-reviews-day
  • Reply 52 of 62
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    One of Apple's largest component suppliers, Samsung Electronics.
    Yeah of course. Samsung can't just be guilty as a company, they have to just be an Apple supplier.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    polish said:
    There are 1.5 million Americans with Lupus, mostly young people. That's 0.47%. 0.47% of Samsung's 489,000 employees would be 2,299 people with Lupus. And this story is about 200 people with leukemia, lupus, lymphoma OR multiple sclerosis? Filed in the round cabinet in the corner.
    Redo that stat, but only use the number of employees in the few factories we are talking about..... mmmmkay?
    radarthekatbaconstangDan Andersen
  • Reply 54 of 62

why- said:
    And what is so misleading and vicious? Worried your Samsung trolling paycheck might be cut in half now that the truth is seeing the light of day in North America?
    I couldn't give two licks about Samsung. They're a ridiculous company that makes ok products
    the headline just makes it seem like this was intentional, like Samsung slipped cyanide into their drinks
    Lol, and in your opinion they "accidentally" covered it up??!
    baconstang
  • Reply 55 of 62
    gatorguy said:

The Verge is a generic tech site that covers all sorts of topics. There should be no bias.
    Surprisingly they don't even deny an Apple bias. Actually wrote a piece on it!
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/23/9381325/apple-bias-iphone-reviews-day
    Well, rather than admit their clear anti-Apple bias, they're actually apologizing and rationalizing for not being anti-Apple enough! Apparently they are actually deluged with accusations of pro-Apple bias in their iPhone reviews by the anti-Apple haters, trolls, and shills that populate their site. They don't have my sympathy, however, as it's a problem they have helped create and continue to foster.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 56 of 62
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Baldwyn said:
    The first exercise of my capabilities as a moderator is to ban Baldwyn.  I'm not really interested in censoring comments, but this is an egregious and wholly undeserved slander of Apple.  Those workers were not even shown to be working on Apple products, much less were they directly employed as Apple workers, as he submitted.  Either Baldwyn doesn't know that and didn't bother to check his assertions, or he does know it and is therefore nothing more than a slanderous troll.
    edited August 2016 baconstangpatchythepiratelordjohnwhorfinpscooter63jbdragon
  • Reply 57 of 62
    Baldwyn said:
    The first exercise of my capabilities as a moderator is to ban Baldwyn.  I'm not really interested in censoring comments, but this is an egregious and wholly undeserved slander of Apple.  Those workers were not even shown to be working on Apple products, much less were they directly employed as Apple workers, as he submitted.  Either Baldwyn doesn't know that and didn't bother to check his assertions, or he does know it and is therefore nothing more than a slanderous troll.
    Thumbs up. Apple took a very proactive stance when the Foxconn situation became known, whereas Samsung appears to have chosen to sweep everything under the rug. Mind you, Apple defended the interests of foreign workers in a country thousands of miles away, when Samsung was (is) knowingly poisoning and irradiating citizens of its own country.
    baconstangpatchythepiratejbdragon
  • Reply 58 of 62
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    revenant said:
    it is actually a little worse than what is written. One Korean newspaper did a spot on a father and his daughter of 20 something age who died of leukemia (and it was a Samsung owned paper so the article naturally disappeared). First Samsung was apologetic and took care of all the bills and tried to compensate the father after the death of his daughter. They were overly kind until the father said it should be reported. Then things went very sour and Samsung became very hostile to the man. What I have a hard time with is if you ask any Korean on the street about this, they are very mad about it- but they STILL buy Samsung stuff. I thought Americans were patriotic- the East has a jingoistic fervor that is unmatched.

And whereas this is horrible, let us not forget that this kind of terribleness of hiding chemicals is native to Korea and Samsung. There have been children in the Midwest States who were becoming ill and died due to chemicals in fertilisers. A lot could be said about miners as well. Except these people are never even considered for compensation. This type of crap happens around the world (I believe it is worse in China and South America). Safety regulations and capitalism are not hand in hand, but profits and coverups sure are.
    I'm not arguing against most of what you said here. Most of that was good. However, with the reference to patriots in the USA: You're confusing patriotism with nationalism. Nationalism is blind belief in the superiority of one's own nation. Patriotism, on the other hand, demands educated, honest, critical examination (even criticism) to keep your nation aimed in the right direction.

Currently, nationalism has hijacked patriotism in the USA, making average Americans just as blinded by belief in the rightness and superiority of the country as many of these "can't happen here" articles critical of other nations (it's interesting to interview Trump supporters to ask them when America "stopped being great").

To be uncomfortably honest with history... I'm not even sure that patriotism was ever the driving force here. History shows a ton of examples of blind nationalism leading to awful things. Maybe patriots are few and far between and rarely in power.

One type of entity that has zero loyalty to its own nation is the corporation. Disposing of American industry and employment, poisoning the environment, consuming resources, hoarding the wealth (basically capitalizing gains and socializing losses) is pretty much standard operating procedure in large corporations. Multinationals especially show little to no regard for their own home society. Where does their loyalty lay? At the feet of the top shareholders and board of directors. Everyone else be damned.

Unregulated Capitalism is the most antisocial feature of current civilization, poisoning everything. It doesn't have to be the cancer it is. It could be directed to serve society, just like its apologist's propaganda claims. But watch out, it's still a faux pas to suggest anything that is pro-society because Cold War anti-Soviet propaganda is still in full effect!
    singularityspice-boybaconstangcnocbui
  • Reply 59 of 62
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    "Patriotism, on the other hand, demands educated, honest, critical examination (even criticism) to keep your nation aimed in the right direction."

I agree whole heartedly. When the attacks of 9/11 happened  in my city I thought the patriotic thing to do was not invade another nation but to use our resources, CIA etc... to locate and bring those guilty to justice. It was Nationalism that flexed military muscle and needed to defend our country's pride. Patriotism would have kept us out of Iraq and prevented ISIS as we know it today. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 60 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    apple ][ said:
    Trump would tell them to 'just change careers, it's a free market baby'.
    Hillary, who is financed by shady foreigners and terrorists, would gladly take a donation from Samsung, and then lie to the faces of the victim's families.
    baconstangcnocbui