New 'iPhone 7' photos show off alleged case design, hint at pressure-sensitive home button

Posted:
in iPhone
New photos of "iPhone 7" parts from different sources may back expectations about the phone's casing, as well as the absence of a physical button on the product, likely to ship next month.

Pictures supposedly showing the exterior of the "iPhone 7" and "iPhone 7 Plus," sourced by LSA from a Chinese case manufacturer, do show more attention in fit and finish than previous case mockups. They don't appear to reveal any new details however, with both units featuring protruding camera bumps, and the "Plus" model sporting a dual-lens camera. Neither are working models, and are likely just better-quality mockups than some earlier examples.

Photos of the suspected screen assembly for the "iPhone 7" from GeekBar -- the same source of supposed "A10" processor images, and video of a supposedly functional "iPhone 7" -- notably lack a cutout for a traditional home button. This would be consistent with rumors that Apple is instead implementing Force Touch-like technology in conjunction with a Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

The "iPhone 7" is rumored to be another interim update ahead of a 2017 redesign, although it may controversially abandon a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack. Rumors have also placed 3GB of RAM in the larger 5.5-inch model, and pointed to a bump in storage capacity, at least making the bottom end 32 gigabytes instead of 16.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Neither of them are final, since Apple doesn't have to put all the symbols on the bottom any longer. Lousy mockups.
    caliDeelron
  • Reply 2 of 35
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Neither of them are final, since Apple doesn't have to put all the symbols on the bottom any longer. Lousy mockups.
    I hope the camera bumps don't look like that. Very inelegant IMO.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    only in USA afaik, my UK 6S has all the etchings albeit in the different order to that shown, I have: CE 0682 (!) then the dustbin symbol. no FCC logo. but it does have the FCC id number etched in tiny writing after the model number.
  • Reply 4 of 35

Maybe it's just me or the lighting, but the Apple logo on that 7 Plus doesn't look quite right.

• Reply 5 of 35
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    You hope the camera bumps don't look like that but you want a superior camera right?
    williamlondonmike1tmaynolamacguySpamSandwichfastasleeplolliver
  • Reply 6 of 35
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    When did that change? My IP6 still has them.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    they look pretty real. I doubt they will sell as many of these new phones since they look almost the same as 6/6s. 
  • Reply 8 of 35
    johnbear said:
    they look pretty real. I doubt they will sell as many of these new phones since they look almost the same as 6/6s. 
    Sounds like you did the same extensive research Apple did when determining customer buy-in.
    topper24hoursmike1lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 35
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    jcdinkins said:
    johnbear said:
    Sounds like you did the same extensive research Apple did when determining customer buy-in.
    history shows us the sale decrease from 6 to 6s. Also the market is more competitive than ever, China's got their own brands they heavily sell there, there are many that are fed up with apple and lust for other beautiful phones (I'm one;), and people less likely to upgrade in great numbers 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 10 of 35
    No Smart Connector in those shots. Not sure what that means.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Hopefully that means no silly Galaxy Note clone aka iPhone Pro.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 35
    I'm hoping no Pro line either, I'd love to see the Smart Connector more ubiquitous across these devices. More devices that sport it means more 3rd party peripherals taking advantage of it, meaning more choices and options for connectivity.

I'm anticipating the day when your main computer is the one in your pocket, and a dock on your desk allows you to connect it to larger screen, keyboard, etc. when you need it, but all the computing power you require is in your hand, that's going to be very cool. The tech is largely there, we just need the infrastructure to support it, and that starts with this connector on more devices, not fewer (expensive Pro) lines only.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 13 of 35
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    I imagine that there might be an iPad Mini Pro that would use the Pencil a few generations distant, which would be great for schools, but can't imagine a Note sized iPhone.
    williamlondoncali
  • Reply 14 of 35
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    What is a "Smart Connector"?
  • Reply 15 of 35
    welshdog said:
    The little "3 dots" connector for keyboard case & other peripherals. It is currently on both iPad Pros.
    lolliver
  • Reply 16 of 35
    welshdog said:
    The new "port" that started with the iPad Pro, the 3 little dots, meant to allow connectivity to a variety of peripherals. Other leaked photos of the new phone have shown it on some models, whether true or not as always remains to be seen.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    New photos of "iPhone 7" parts from different sources may back expectations about the phone's casing ...
    By now, Apple management know that it's impossible to completely stop all leaks.
    What to do?  What to do?

1. Give slightly different iPhone "7" mockups to each case manufacturer.
    2. See which case manufacturers leak photos of their mockups.
    3. Don't give those manufacturers iPhone "8" mockups next year.

The latter will hurt if next year's iPhone "8" is as desirable as the rumors make it sound.
    Punishing case makers still won't stop all leaks.  But hey, you violate the NDA, you pay the price.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 18 of 35
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    Especially the dual lens one
  • Reply 19 of 35
    I'm hoping no Pro line either, I'd love to see the Smart Connector more ubiquitous across these devices. More devices that sport it means more 3rd party peripherals taking advantage of it, meaning more choices and options for connectivity.

I'm anticipating the day when your main computer is the one in your pocket, and a dock on your desk allows you to connect it to larger screen, keyboard, etc. when you need it, but all the computing power you require is in your hand, that's going to be very cool. The tech is largely there, we just need the infrastructure to support it, and that starts with this connector on more devices, not fewer (expensive Pro) lines only.
    Isn't the iPad kind of that any way. It seems kind of backwards to me to try and turn the iPhone in the do it all device
  • Reply 20 of 35
    sockrolid said:
    New photos of "iPhone 7" parts from different sources may back expectations about the phone's casing ...
    By now, Apple management know that it's impossible to completely stop all leaks.
    What to do?  What to do?

1. Give slightly different iPhone "7" mockups to each case manufacturer.
    2. See which case manufacturers leak photos of their mockups.
    3. Don't give those manufacturers iPhone "8" mockups next year.

The latter will hurt if next year's iPhone "8" is as desirable as the rumors make it sound.
    Punishing case makers still won't stop all leaks.  But hey, you violate the NDA, you pay the price.
    But the case makers didn't originally leak the iPhones sites like this one did