CVS continues Apple Pay snub, launches barcode-based 'CVS Pay'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    How is this any different than the Starbucks App which does practically the same thing and is a runaway success?

I do agree though that CVS is going the wrong way with this. I much prefer to use my Apple Pay or NFC payment's as a whole. 
  • Reply 22 of 93
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    How is this any different than the Starbucks App which does practically the same thing and is a runaway success?

Having their own solution isn't the problem, cutting out NFC payments to force customers to use their untested barcode solution  is the problem.  I can still use Apple Pay at Starbucks, even if the have their own reward system. 
    netmagewilliamlondonmike1nolamacguybigjbdragonapres587
  • Reply 23 of 93
    ibill said:
    I use Walgreens instead. Sorry CVS.
    Switched to Walgreens because CVS's stance on ApplePay.
    Easy decision as CVS offers nothing over Walgreens.
    williamlondonnolamacguybigjbdragon
  • Reply 24 of 93
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    idiots... 
    rite aid works just fine for me !
    baconstangbig
  • Reply 25 of 93
    and here in the UK, Boots, the largest Pharmacy chain has accepted Apple Pay for ages. It is one of the few places that actually have the Apple Pay stickers at the tills. No fuss. No stupid Barcode App.

I felt like I was going back 10+ years when I shopped in the USA a few months ago. As for your banking system, not much has improved wince the 1980's when I lived in N.H. and it took up to 10 days for my salary cheque to clear from my employer in Boston. Is it still illegal to carry more than $10,000 in cash over state lines? It was back then.

In contrast, I made a payment (not via a credit card company) to a company in Italy a few days ago. I got an email from them less than two hours later confirming the payment and that my goods were on their way (Two Moto Guzzi Le-Mans pistons).

baconstangwilliamlondonbig
  • Reply 26 of 93
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    and here in the UK, Boots, the largest Pharmacy chain has accepted Apple Pay for ages. It is one of the few places that actually have the Apple Pay stickers at the tills. No fuss. No stupid Barcode App.

I felt like I was going back 10+ years when I shopped in the USA a few months ago. As for your banking system, not much has improved wince the 1980's when I lived in N.H. and it took up to 10 days for my salary cheque to clear from my employer in Boston. Is it still illegal to carry more than $10,000 in cash over state lines? It was back then.

In contrast, I made a payment (not via a credit card company) to a company in Italy a few days ago. I got an email from them less than two hours later confirming the payment and that my goods were on their way (Two Moto Guzzi Le-Mans pistons).

Fresh from Lake Como.
    I had a couple of V50s back in the 80s.  Love those bikes!
    big
  • Reply 27 of 93
    Now that CurrentC is dead, NFC payments have been working fine for me at CVS lately, so I'm not sure that's a "snub." It's working fine, no need to use the barcode thing.
  • Reply 28 of 93
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Same at Marks & Spencer and loads of other places. London Transport takes Apple Pay and so does WHSmith. I have used Apple Pay at gift shops that didn't even know they supported Apple Pay.  

The only problem is the £30 limit. I can go over that pretty quickly. 

• Reply 29 of 93
    spodspod Posts: 30member
    My theory is this. If your system is so much better then let it co-exist with Apple Pay and let people choose what works best for them.  You should have no concerns then. LOL

At its heart Apple Pay is just a payment system like debit and credit cards and cash.  You want people to use your loyalty system, that's fine, but this approach seems anal. Can cash buyers not use the loyalty app to benefit from it? One assumes they can so why not accept Apple Pay too?

In Australia any NFC eftpos terminal has no choice but to accept all compliant transactions whether via a chip'd card or phone or whatever. The only difference is in the back end when it comes to dividing up the transaction fees. Sadly in Australia only the ANZ bank is supporting it at this stage whilst the other big banks down under are taking Apple to court to force it to let the bank's developers have acces to the API's so they can bypass Apple's secure system.  Laughable. I now put all my transactions through the little ANZ savings account that is attached to my mortgage.  Once a month I transfer money from my Westpac account to cover those payments.  Subsequently the arrogant Westpac bank loses all the transaction fees from my purchases!  Take that!
    supadav03mrboba1bigjbdragon
  • Reply 30 of 93
    rob53 said:

As for CVS, they took over a lot of the old Long's Drug Stores and turned them into ugly mini Walmart stores. It doesn't surprise me they're trying to roll their own and I can't wait for someone at BlackHat to show how vulnerable their system is. The crazy thing about all these me-to systems is they aren't needed. Get a good POS system with a good credit card system and you're ready to accept ApplePay and any other NFC system. It doesn't take any programming on the merchants part because all the programming is already done in the card reader.
    Thing is, CVS already HAD these capabilities at I believe every location, as they accepted Apple pay for a hot minute (all of about a week or two iirc) then blocked and disabled NFC. My guess is, they saw how many users were happily using mobile payments and decided they wanted in on the racket too.
    williamlondonjbdragon
  • Reply 31 of 93
    The real question is, why would I want this? Why would anyone want this? Who the hell wants to download a dedicated payment app for a SINGLE store? This move makes no sense whatsoever. Unless of course, you believe this is a customer data collection and targeted marketing scheme....which I'm starting to...

nolamacguymrboba1bigjbdragonmac fan
  • Reply 32 of 93
    Rayz2016 said:

The only problem is the £30 limit. I can go over that pretty quickly. 

I use AP at a local bar/restaurant here in the UK and, recently, it has authorised payments up to £50 (I've not tried it with anything over that) in one hit with no bother. One of the staff seemed to think that the limit was going to be raised but I can't find any confirmation of that. Previously when trying to pay a bill of more than £30 in the same place another member of staff said 'why not just do it twice for two smaller amounts?' - it worked fine. So the £30 limit seems a bit arbitrary really, at least in my limited experience - it may be down to the merchant agreement.

Btw, I've used AP all over the UK and it works great, I'm really, really happy with it.
    edited August 2016 chiaRayz2016jbdragon
  • Reply 33 of 93
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    I was holding out hope that they'd cave and start accepting Pay, but there goes that. CVS wants me to enter my cards into their app? Hell no! They just closed down a Walgreens near me, so Rite Aid it is...
    bigjbdragon
  • Reply 34 of 93
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Having been thoroughly sucked into the SBux app myself, food and beverage marketing is not on the same level of intimacy as healthcare and pharmaceutical goods.
    bigjbdragon
  • Reply 35 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ibill said:
    I use Walgreens instead. Sorry CVS.
    dewme said:
    It looks like CVS wants to harvest even more customer data from retail transactions, pursue targeted marketed campaigns against their frequent shoppers, and avoid paying anyone transaction fees. ... They're just too cheap and willing to roll the dice with their customer's data to improve their own profitability. 
    Did you think ApplePay was protecting your private and perhaps sometimes embarassing precription buys from being tracked? While ApplePay might help keep your credit card details masked it does not prevent Walgreen's or other pharmacies from sharing (selling) your prescribed drug details with outside parties like insurers and drug companies. That info doesn't rely on transaction detail. 
    http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2011/03/your-drugstore-selling-your-private-information-big-pharma

Walgreen's, Rite-Aid's, CVS and others efforts to learn even more from you are of course dangled in front of you with discounts. Loyalty cards and store apps serve multiple purposes
    https://www.statnews.com/2015/11/23/pharmacies-collect-personal-data/
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 36 of 93
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    The real question is, why would I want this? Why would anyone want this? Who the hell wants to download a dedicated payment app for a SINGLE store? This move makes no sense whatsoever. Unless of course, you believe this is a customer data collection and targeted marketing scheme....which I'm starting to...

You mean you don't want to fiddle with your phone trying to find the specific app for the specific store you're in, just to make a mobile payment? I mean who wouldn't want that?

I have a feeling ApplePay will win out in the end, if mobile payments don't die off completely. Unfortunately, it will just take a while to work itself out. I'm doubting anyone but Apple will continue to make this as secure and seamless as possible. It will get to be completely ridiculous when you're required to have 15 apps, one for each store just to make a mobile payment. I can picture a soccer mom fiddling with her phone trying to find the specific app in a checkout line just to make a payment and people getting pissed because she's taking so long. So eventually I bet people will just get fed up and either stop using the mobile payment system, or just use something fast and convenient like ApplePay. As soon as a store or two gets hacked and these stupid barcode systems are somehow compromised they'll start to dwindle down as people won't feel as safe using them. Maybe some of these stores will rethink their policies once they don't see success in their own ideas and eventually give in. I know it sucks to have to play the wait and see game which may take a while, but it will work itself out. 

Apple may have to re-educate people on how ApplePay works and why its secure. If companies like CVS, and Wal-Mart does get hacked and their mobile payment systems are compromised it could start to totally kill mobile payments. The people in this forum most likely know the difference between all of these at least in some form, but and everyday joe doesn't. So if these compromises start to happen, they could think well I'm not using ApplePay either because its not secure. 

One thing I would like to see somehow is e-receipts. Why in this day and age do we STILL get paper receipts??? If I use ApplePay, it should just to go my phone (or email). 

Also, it seems like every time there's a completely brand new technology, every company has to play this me too game and get involved with their own idea of the same technology and they all fail one by one until were down to one or two. 
    bigjbdragon
  • Reply 37 of 93
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    These big retailers will try all short of their own solution just to be different. After spending millions and frustrated costumers in long run and loosing business to competitors, will turn to ApplePay. Not if, when.
    nolamacguybig
  • Reply 38 of 93
    No different than my Starbucks App. The positive thing is more information is available it is not just the payment here, it is also about prescription info etc. In the case of Starbucks it is about my rewards and Stars earned. Don't get me wrong I like Apple Pay and Car Play and all the good things Apple does. There are no PC's in my house , but you have to keep an open mind.
  • Reply 39 of 93
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    I loved ApplePay when it first came out. As things would happen, I was late paying my American Express bill. The card use was suspended for a few days. AP said the card could no longer be used as it was no longer valid. I waited two weeks after my card was working again and my AP still reported the card invalid. Well, darn. I sure don't need to fiddle with my phone when my credit card is right here in my hand. 

Apple is is making money with Apple Pay. It's not a free service. It should work properly and efficiently. I am sure others have had the same issue. Hey, I keep asking why the Contacts app doesn't have familiarity fill-in? So, bottom line, if AP works for you that's nice. For me it's clunky and not worth the bother. I still have to carry my credit cards. OK, I'm used to it.
    So what you are telling everyone is that because you don't pay your bills on time, you won't be using the system that has rejected you?
    mike1stevehbiglatifbpRayz2016jbdragonwilliamlondonapres587brucemc
  • Reply 40 of 93
    Part of me understands CVS position on this.  However it is very short sighted.  Consumers want to use what works for them.  They want CHOICE.  CVS should allow Apple Pay and then come out with their own solution also.  If their solution is better for consumers they will use it.  Otherwise they will use the prove solution of Apple Pay.
    igorskybigjbdragon