Refurbished 12.9-inch iPad Pro now on sale through Apple's online store

Posted:
in iPad
Apple on Tuesday began sales of refurbished 12.9-inch iPad Pro models, offering substantial discounts ahead of an anticipated fall refresh.

Base 32-gigabyte Wi-Fi units are priced at $679 in the U.S., $120 off their usual cost. Mid-tier 128-gigabyte options are $809 -- $140 off -- while top-of-the-line 4G cellular versions are $919, $160 below normal.

Refurbished iPads come with a new battery and shell, as well as a one-year warranty. Third-party retailers have occasionally sold the 12.9-inch Pro for less, however, making it worth checking pricing guides first.

People worried about obsolescence may also want to wait until later this fall, as Apple will likely upgrade the 12.9-inch Pro with a faster processor, and improvements seen on 9.7-inch models, such as a True Tone display and a rear camera flash. Other changes are possible as well, but to date very few rumors have surfaced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Evenat refurb prices it is just too expensive. The launch of this iPad Pro should have been the opportunity to reset the prices of the entire iPad line downward to goose sales. Instead the dicks moved price points of new products upward, and kept selling ipads with old CPUs, with continued falling sales as a result. I bet the higher margins do not offset the decline in ipad sales.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    entropys said:
    Evenat refurb prices it is just too expensive. The launch of this iPad Pro should have been the opportunity to reset the prices of the entire iPad line downward to goose sales. Instead the dicks moved price points of new products upward, and kept selling ipads with old CPUs, with continued falling sales as a result. I bet the higher margins do not offset the decline in ipad sales.
    So products that cost more to make should have been sold more cheaply than the old ones. Do you run a business?
    SpamSandwichredgeminipamike1rhinotuffmac fan
  • Reply 3 of 20
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    entropys said:
    Totally agree with you.   If apple wants to grow their services businesses they need to get more people using products.   The iPad especially the 12.9 inch iPad Pro needs to be priced more aggressively to compete with inexpensive laptops.    Especially for selling this into corporations for them to commit to actual development programs.

When the iPad originally came out everybody was surprised that Jobs was able to Price it starting at $499 when earlier tablets were more expensive.   Jobs also cut the price of the original MacBook Air (that's what motivate me to buy mine).  The entry level i9.7 inch Pad pro is $100 overpriced. The 12.9 inch Pro is $200 over priced.  Without a price cut I think that the next two quarters of sells will fall off the Cliff now that the initial surge for new models is over.

The iPad pro should also support multiple user/accounts for families and small offices.
    albegarc
  • Reply 4 of 20
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    k2kw said:
    entropys said:
    Totally agree with you.   If apple wants to grow their services businesses they need to get more people using products.   The iPad especially the 12.9 inch iPad Pro needs to be priced more aggressively to compete with inexpensive laptops.    Especially for selling this into corporations for them to commit to actual development programs.

When the iPad originally came out everybody was surprised that Jobs was able to Price it starting at $499 when earlier tablets were more expensive.   Jobs also cut the price of the original MacBook Air (that's what motivate me to buy mine).  The entry level i9.7 inch Pad pro is $100 overpriced. The 12.9 inch Pro is $200 over priced.  Without a price cut I think that the next two quarters of sells will fall off the Cliff now that the initial surge for new models is over.

The iPad pro should also support multiple user/accounts for families and small offices.
    I agree.  I needed to get my daughter a laptop a year ago.  I considered an iPad briefly, but at a starting price of €200 more than the 15" Toshiba with an i5 processor, 4Gb and 500Gb HD I got her, it seemed a 'bit' overpriced.
    albegarc
  • Reply 5 of 20
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    The best always costs more, not matter what it is.  Technology follows a well known curve.  First to market, costs more to develop, to manufacture, to market, to buy, etc.  It always does, always has and always will. There are middle of the road products (lower tier iOS not excepted) that cost some less.  Products always command the maximum price possible and always bring the maximum price the can.  Well known laws of marketing, development, etc.  The person or companies that take the most risk stand to have the most to gain, and the most to lose.  

The Transistor Radio is almost obsolete.  I mean the real transistor radio - the first ones to market.  People today can hardly envision anything less than FM or Satellite Radio.  They can hardly remember the dial telephone or the "party line" telephone.  It was on The Andy Griffin Show - who was Andy Griffin they will say.  Who was Walter Cronkite ?

Talk radio is not an improvement - it is a disappointment of the system(s) - Remember when they reported the news ?  Remember when CNN televised the beginning of a war instead of having to go to a Movie Theater to watch a newsreel.

All the things you thing Apple should have on the "next" great thing have probably been considered and prototyped in their labs or some other lab somewhere.  Cost to Market and the Price the Masses are willing to pay dictates what you have available.  Believe me, it can be made - if you complain about the price ($) you probably would not have bought it anyway.  You just want to complain.

If you pay enough, you can generally get it or get one - Whatever it is.  There are some exceptions.  A good hamburger at a fast food restaurant is one exception.  Consistently good service in a restaurant is not always possible.  The chains cannot control all the factors.  I cannot get quality food more than 3 times in a row at the same restaurant.  They cannot get the same quality of employees no matter how stringent the interview process.  They are just not there.  A certain amount of pride and willingness to work is necessary and the $/hour does not buy that.

Quit complaining about the Apple Products, they will produce what will sell.  That is it.  They make the Money $'s which is what we the stockholders demand - a really good profit.  If they did not make the profit, I would go to another company.  If you don't invest, then you might not understand this.  By the Way, the Stockmarket in general is legalized gambling.  If you had the information, everyone would have it.  It is a crap shoot based upon knowledge you have.  By the time, you know, it is too late, everyone else knows.  However, you can make informed investments and wait until they pan out.

If the products cost too much, go buy Android products or Windows products.  I buy the best and it is not those - they are good enough, but not good enough for me.  I am not rich, but I want the best I can afford.  Be it a Computer, a house, a car, a weapon, a hamburger or a light bulb.  There is little profit in a business if you make a low end consumer items.  You have to sell a heck of a lot of low profit items to make a reasonable amount. The Risk is lower and you make less. That is it.

Take the risk and the reward is maybe there.  Don't take it, it is not usually there. Others who did not take the risk are your competition.  Microsoft has given up in many areas - they could not compete.  They had it made when they were the only ones, only to have their lunch eaten by others.  Microsoft still makes a lot of money, but they don't have it made in all areas.  Neither does Apple.  Neither do you.  There is always someone willing to do your job better and perhaps for less - we are a global economy with local pockets.

I sure would like to have an iPad Pro, but I did not want to pay the price or need to pay it for the 1st Generation product.  I could have, but did not want to do it.  I do want to do it for the 2nd Generation iPad Pro and also the 2nd Generation Watch.  They will be worth it to me.  I hope they will be worth it to you.  May I remind you that 3 years ago you could not afford to buy either.  Apple made them affordable and the other tech companies who did not take the risk are now trying to copy them.  If you could have gotten a Mac with Software in 1984 like you can today, what would you have been willing to pay ?  A Lot - but you could not get them then.  

Don't trust politicians - most are part of the government and are not there (or here) to help you.  They worked for the jobs - now that they have them, don't expect them to work for you.  They will tell you want you want to hear, not what they have done for you in the last few years, but what they will do in a few more years if you re-elect them.  Follow the money ($'s) to find out some very interesting information.  Evaluate the Risk.  See who really owns or runs a foundation or a church or a business.  If they have illegal ownership, it is something to be avoided.

Buy Apple, not the Clinton Foundation Hype.  

jkichlinealbegarc
  • Reply 6 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    iPad Pro is the best iPad they've ever made and it's been worth it for me. Every penny of it.
    rhinotuffmac fan
  • Reply 7 of 20
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    TomE said:
    The best always costs more, not matter what it is....

You just keep on thinking Butch, that's what you are good at. /s
    Geeesh, the op just suggested they lower prices a bit (not be a loss leader or sell for a buck)too goose sales to gain some market share to expand services potential when sales appear to be dropping, a perfectly reasonable opine. If you disagree and believe Apple has their products priced fairly for what they are trying to do to expand services etc, that's fair and reasonable assertion too(although if sales are dropping, what is your solution?Btw hint... Apple says they believe they will rebound), ... but wow man, just wow, did someone kick your dog tonight or something?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    entropys said:
    So products that cost more to make should have been sold more cheaply than the old ones. Do you run a business?
    Who said it cost more? And more than what reference cost?( Cost=Apple part price they pay and R&D etc.). And even if true, Does that automatically dictate a certain profit margin of xx% vs eg--1/2xx%? Or can supply demand, business goals (as the op has posited) apply to the profit margins?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    TomE said:
    Don't trust politicians - most are part of the government and are not there (or here) to help you.  They worked for the jobs - now that they have them, don't expect them to work for you.  They will tell you want you want to hear, not what they have done for you in the last few years, but what they will do in a few more years if you re-elect them.  Follow the money ($'s) to find out some very interesting information.  Evaluate the Risk.  See who really owns or runs a foundation or a church or a business.  If they have illegal ownership, it is something to be avoided.

Buy Apple, not the Clinton Foundation Hype.  

Umm, Angry Man, I thought this was an article about iPad Pro refurbs?

Lost?

Wrong forum.
    Roger_Fingasmac fan
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Apple seems to be pushing the iPad Pro as a desktop replacement, but they will not offer consumers a bundle price. And Apple continues to overprice the iPad line. Comparing an iPad Pro to a Surface 3 with both having WiFi and LTE, both having Keyboards and Pens. _________________________________ Surface 3 128GB WiFi and LTE $699 Surface Pen $59.99 Surface keyboard $129.99 $887.99 _________________________________ iPad Pro 128 GB WiFi and LTE $879 Pen $99 Keyboard $149 $1127
    edited August 2016 imacbob
  • Reply 11 of 20
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    entropys said:
    No, they did move the prices down on the older non-pro models by about $100 except at the very low end. iPad Air 2 (which is an amazing device FYI) is at $399 to start.
    rhinotuffmac fan
  • Reply 12 of 20
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

cnocbui said:
    k2kw said:

I agree.  I needed to get my daughter a laptop a year ago.  I considered an iPad briefly, but at a starting price of €200 more than the 15" Toshiba with an i5 processor, 4Gb and 500Gb HD I got her, it seemed a 'bit' overpriced.
    I can almost guarantee you that an iPad would have performed better.  Any device I use now with a spinning hard drive is terribly slow compared to solid state drives. iPads use memory much more efficiently than Windows... programs for Windows are more expensive, etc.
    rhinotuff
  • Reply 13 of 20
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    How many times does it need to be repeated before it sinks in: Apple is not about having the biggest marketshare.  Period.

If you look at any industry, the companies with the biggest marketshare are the ones which can produce the cheapest, middle-of-the-road products.  Cheap and good enough will always win if all you care about is marketshare.  Trying to move things forward by using leading-edge technologies, creating your own designs, optimizing performance/power consumption, and going the extra mile to make things easier to use is expensive.  If you simply care about marketshare, you'll wait until all of those things are already commonplace (the work has been done by others, and subsequently cloned and made cheaper) and the cost to integrate them has come down before you add them to your products.  That's not Apple.
    rhinotuffmac fan
  • Reply 14 of 20
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    jkichline said:

cnocbui said:
    I can almost guarantee you that an iPad would have performed better.  Any device I use now with a spinning hard drive is terribly slow compared to solid state drives. iPads use memory much more efficiently than Windows... programs for Windows are more expensive, etc.
    I can guarantee you it wouldn't.  I swapped out the HD for a 128 GB SSD from my old Macbook she discombombulated.  I recently had to fit the original 500 GB HD back into the optical disc bay that is empty in this particular variant of the model because she ran out of storage space.  An A8X equipped iPad is no match for an i5 powered laptop.  Geekbench score for the Air 2 - 1809.  For the i5 in the laptop - 5166. She uses a Wacom graphics tablet for some of her artworks so that would have been a problem also.  Even an iPad Pro, had it been available at the time, would still have 30%+ less performance, not enough storage and at about double the price, just isn't even close to offering value for money.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 15 of 20
    cnocbui said:
    jkichline said:

I can guarantee you it wouldn't.  I swapped out the HD for a 128 GB SSD from my old Macbook she discombombulated.  I recently had to fit the original 500 GB HD back into the optical disc bay that is empty in this particular variant of the model because she ran out of storage space.  An A8X equipped iPad is no match for an i5 powered laptop.  Geekbench score for the Air 2 - 1809.  For the i5 in the laptop - 5166. She uses a Wacom graphics tablet for some of her artworks so that would have been a problem also.  Even an iPad Pro, had it been available at the time, would still have 30%+ less performance, not enough storage and at about double the price, just isn't even close to offering value for money.
    You'll be lucky to get two years out of it. The b in Toshiba is commonly replaced by a t among technologists. 
  • Reply 16 of 20
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    cnocbui said:
    jkichline said:

If someone is chained to a particular workflow based in legacy products, then yes, it's better to stick with hardware which continues to support that workflow.

However, as professional graphic design apps are ported to (or new ones emerge to) take advantage of the Apple Pencil, and design shops learn to utilize cloud storage (with proper collaboration/revision support), the overall workflow will be much nicer and more efficient.  Probably still a few years out, but that's where Apple likes to be.

On a side note: I remember an old design shop my wife worked at where they cobbled together their own in-house file server for collaboration, and people routinely lost work because someone else clobbered it and there was no way to roll back to previous revisions.  So everyone just saved their work locally and prayed they didn't experience a hard drive failure.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 17 of 20
    waltgwaltg Posts: 90member
    Apple seems to be pushing the iPad Pro as a desktop replacement, but they will not offer consumers a bundle price. And Apple continues to overprice the iPad line. Comparing an iPad Pro to a Surface 3 with both having WiFi and LTE, both having Keyboards and Pens. _________________________________ Surface 3 128GB WiFi and LTE $699 Surface Pen $59.99 Surface keyboard $129.99 $887.99 _________________________________ iPad Pro 128 GB WiFi and LTE $879 Pen $99 Keyboard $149 $1127
    Well,,, first off Apple is Certainly NOT MS.!! No matter how wizzy that MS stuff seems, within the year, it's obsolete or your having trouble with the op says on it! That,,, is why so many people have left MS products and came to Apple, quality and reliability!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    boeyc15 said:
    TomE said:
    The best always costs more, not matter what it is....

You just keep on thinking Butch, that's what you are good at. /s
    Geeesh, the op just suggested they lower prices a bit (not be a loss leader or sell for a buck)too goose sales to gain some market share to expand services potential when sales appear to be dropping, a perfectly reasonable opine. If you disagree and believe Apple has their products priced fairly for what they are trying to do to expand services etc, that's fair and reasonable assertion too(although if sales are dropping, what is your solution?Btw hint... Apple says they believe they will rebound), ... but wow man, just wow, did someone kick your dog tonight or something?
    My issue would be with the OP talking about expanding their market share, which is not what the iPad Pro is going to do, at least not in the low-end of the market. If you want an iPad and don't want to spend $400 on an Air 2, look at a Mini or an older generation. If you want the cheapest device possible to get you online, buy a $60 RCA tablet from WalMart. I'll take a quality device any day of the week. I bought my Pro when they first came out, and the cost was easily worth it. If someone seriously struggles with the price of a product, they need to evaluate how much they need that product.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Extremely failed logic. 

No one buys ANYTHING from Apple because it's prices are lower than a competitor..

Apple has never been for the price conscious consumers..

Nothing has changed. If it's too expensive for you, why complain about it online? It's like complaining about Ferrari prices and then listing off cheaper car equivalents....
  • Reply 20 of 20
    entropys said:
    I would say slowing sales, mainly due to market saturation. I'm assuming the tablet market is mimicking the smartphone market in which apple sales a boat load of them but the various android versions sell more but apple accounts for the majority of the profit.

I'm guessing, and this is just a guess, that Apple maintains making a profit by not discounting their products just to move more units to sit on store shelves...

I'm also guessing that even though iPads are iOS devices, there upgrade cycle is closer to that of a computer.

I just upgraded from an original ipad mini to a ipad pro 12.9.

So 4 years in between upgrades opposed to upgrading my phone annually... Lower prices wouldn't have made me upgrade my ipad, I simply didn't need too.