Universal search on Apple TV goes beyond US services with Australia's Stan

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has silently added Australia's Stan to the list of services supported by universal search on the Apple TV, representing the first time the feature has gone beyond U.S.-based companies.

As long as the Stan tvOS app is installed, Australians should now see whether a movie or TV show is available on the service when running text- and Siri-based searches. Previously, just iTunes and Netflix results were displayed.

Only the U.S. has a substantial number of services listed in universal search, 35 in all. Canada, France, Germany, and the U.K. are limited to iTunes and Netflix, and any other countries are restricted to iTunes movies, not even TV content.

In the past year Apple has been working to expand the number of listed providers, but concentrating primarily on the U.S., its biggest market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Stan the man.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    And still no universal search support for Home Sharing or Plex.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    Hopefully they add the catch up TV apps soon also. Then it will start to be very useful. 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Finally Stan supports Universal search, it would be great if they could update the app so it's not so buggy and tweak the interface, something about the existing UI feels a bit off like it's been ported straight from the 3rd Gen Apple TV without changes to make it feel more like a true 4th Gen Apple TV app. That said, Stan are doing a decent job at acquiring interesting content, here's hoping they can establish a strong foothold here in Australia.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,167member
    Stan seems more interested in content range than Netflix Australia

Any reports on Siri performance on Apple TV translating an Aussie accent?

i think you will be waiting a long time for home sharing universal search,freediverx.  I have been waiting a long time for the Apple TV to support an external drive so it can turn into the home NAS/server without chewing power.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    And still no universal search support for Home Sharing or Plex.
    Apple is getting permission from content holders to include their content in Universal Search. Getting permission may take longer negotiation times, but it also lessens the chance of a lawsuit that accuses Apple of disregarding the property rights of others.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    entropys said:
    Stan seems more interested in content range than Netflix Australia

Any reports on Siri performance on Apple TV translating an Aussie accent?

i think you will be waiting a long time for home sharing universal search,freediverx.  I have been waiting a long time for the Apple TV to support an external drive so it can turn into the home NAS/server without chewing power.
    Siri is useless at Aussie accents, even a middle class, citified accent like mine, so there's no chance of it understanding full "Back of Burke" Strine. I have even done tests when American friends are visiting: I do a Siri search on my 4th Gen Apple TV and get rubbish, hand the control to them and Siri gets it in one.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    lymflymf Posts: 65member
    Still no Siri on Apple TV in Belgium... They focus on their main market. However the other markets aren't gonna develop if the product offers less than any to provider box. If it had the same features as what can be found in the us, it would probably start growing. But it's not. Not even close.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    lymf said:
    Still no Siri on Apple TV in Belgium... They focus on their main market. However the other markets aren't gonna develop if the product offers less than any to provider box. If it had the same features as what can be found in the us, it would probably start growing. But it's not. Not even close.
    Where's Belgium?  Kidding ....  :)
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Agreed. I was waiting for a gigabit interface for fast NAS access and for Dutch search support on Apple TV, but just like the option for ApplePay on my iPhone 6S ; I won't hold my breath.

Apple doesn't consider our countries as serious markets for their technologies; I am very disappointed...