Tim Cook says AI & augmented reality are core technologies in Apple's future

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is deeply invested in artificial intelligence and augmented reality when it comes to future products, CEO Tim Cook acknowledged in a recent interview.

"Look at the core technologies that make up the smartphone today and look at the ones that will be dominant in smartphones of the future -- like AI," Cook told the Washington Post, which raised the issue of Apple's prospects given its financial dependence on the iPhone in a slowing smartphone market. "AI will make this product even more essential to you," he asserted.

"It will become even a better assistant than it is today. So where you probably aren't leaving home without it today -- you're really going to be connected to it in the future. That level of performance is going to skyrocket."

Apple is stepping towards that goal with gradual improvements in Siri, such as third-party developer support. Cook in fact described it as "broadening Siri in a huge way" to the Post, although the AI assistant's chief rivals -- Amazon Alexa and Google -- already have similar third-party app hooks.

The CEO also reiterated a recent statement that the company is spending a lot of money on augmented reality, without going into detail about whether the company is only pursuing AR software, or aiming for dedicated hardware like Google Glass, Magic Leap, or Microsoft's HoloLens. To date no AR headset has seen a major commercial release -- even Glass has yet to make it past an expensive developer-oriented model.

"I think AR is extremely interesting and sort of a core technology. So, yes, it's something we're doing a lot of things on behind that curtain that we talked about," he said.
doozydozen

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    If anyone can do AR correctly, it’s Apple. I’d venture that they’re the only ones who could pull it off, if it is even possible.

Then again…

doozydozenjony0
  • Reply 2 of 54
    If anyone can do AR correctly, it’s Apple. I’d venture that they’re the only ones who could pull it off, if it is even possible.

Then again…

How do you figure they're the only ones who can pull it off? That's absolutely not true.
    doozydozencnocbui
  • Reply 3 of 54
    Dracarys said:
    How do you figure they're the only ones who can pull it off? That's absolutely not true.
    Just going off their track record. Tablets, smartphones, a commercial GUI, PMPs… they even sparked USB adoption, never mind forced the format to modernize itself 16 years later.
    lkrupplolliverDeelrondoozydozenmac_doganton zuykovpatchythepiratejahbladejony0
  • Reply 4 of 54
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I have a feeling they're kinda doing something big! The same thing happened when the iPhone was being developed. Nothing really came out new because everyone was working on the iPhone. Perhaps the same is true here...
    slprescottdoozydozenJanNLjony0
  • Reply 5 of 54
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If Siri is any examsle Apple has a very very long ways to go with AI technology.  Right now Siri appears to be a sock puppet.  macxpress said:
    I have a feeling they're kinda doing something big! The same thing happened when the iPhone was being developed. Nothing really came out new because everyone was working on the iPhone. Perhaps the same is true here...

doozydozenroakecnocbuiking editor the grateroger wade
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Right in their wheelhouse. Don't forget Apple does not invent but perfects. iPod, iPhone. iPad.
    slprescottdoozydozenjahbladeholyonejony0
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Oh and connection to Disney/ Pixar
  • Reply 8 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Dracarys said:
    Just going off their track record. Tablets, smartphones, a commercial GUI, PMPs… they even sparked USB adoption, never mind forced the format to modernize itself 16 years later.
    That's going to get you in trouble with revisionist "Apple never did anything and is irrelevant" crowd.
    lolliverericthehalfbeeDeelrondoozydozentopper24hourstallest skilbrucemcjahbladejony0
  • Reply 9 of 54
    wizard69 said:
    If Siri is any examsle Apple has a very very long ways to go with AI technology.  Right now Siri appears to be a sock puppet. 
    I never really understand these kind of comments as Siri works great for me.  In general I use it to send texts, read texts, for unit/currency conversion, quick math, calling contacts and non-contacts (such as "Hey Siri, call The Summer House", a local ice cream shop), to turn on/off/dim the lights or the stereo (HomeKit), to get directions, to play/change music, etc.  I do several of these things multiple times a day and very rarely have issues.  The biggest issues for me are when I'm trying to initiate a command over Bluetooth in my car where Siri has more trouble understanding me and it has a slower response time (to start).  Also, I use Siri on my Apple Watch and my iPhone and for both have very few trouble spots (but more on the Watch).

What makes you say Siri appears to be a sock puppet?  This is a genuine question because my experience is largely different from that.
    ericthehalfbeestanthemanlolliverDeelrondoozydozenpscooter63nolamacguysilversquonkmacxpressbrucemc
  • Reply 10 of 54
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    Yeah good luck with that, you actually need powerful computers for all this fancy future tech and I don't see any running osx anywhere
    singularityroger wade
  • Reply 11 of 54
    wizard69 said:
    If Siri is any examsle Apple has a very very long ways to go with AI technology.  Right now Siri appears to be a sock puppet. 
    I never really understand these kind of comments as Siri works great for me.
    Thanks for posting those details.  Hearing actual use cases is the best way to make an informed decision of whether a tool (Siri, in this case) is valuable.  For you, it is.  For me, it is too.
    lolliverdoozydozenbaconstangjahblade
  • Reply 12 of 54

macxpress said:
    I have a feeling they're kinda doing something big!
    Agreed.  On the most recent earnings call, Tim spoke enthusiastically about AR/VR several times.  Traditionally he only does that once Apple has made an internal commitment to release a new product or capability.  I think the launch-sequence for something has started...
    lolliverdoozydozenbaconstangpatchythepiratejahbladefastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 54
    wizard69 said:
    I never really understand these kind of comments as Siri works great for me.  In general I use it to send texts, read texts, for unit/currency conversion, quick math, calling contacts and non-contacts (such as "Hey Siri, call The Summer House", a local ice cream shop), to turn on/off/dim the lights or the stereo (HomeKit), to get directions, to play/change music, etc.  I do several of these things multiple times a day and very rarely have issues.  The biggest issues for me are when I'm trying to initiate a command over Bluetooth in my car where Siri has more trouble understanding me and it has a slower response time (to start).  Also, I use Siri on my Apple Watch and my iPhone and for both have very few trouble spots (but more on the Watch).

What makes you say Siri appears to be a sock puppet?  This is a genuine question because my experience is largely different from that.

Same here. I also use Siri to set reminders and make appts in my calendar. Like "Hey Siri, make an appointment on Sep 6th at 9:00 am to see the doctor". SOOOO much easier than opening the calendar app, scrolling to the right month, picking the day, clicking add event, picking the time and giving it a label. I find Siri to be very accurate. Several co-workers also do the same. The type of work we do requires a dozen or more reminders throughout the day and numerous texts among team members, all of which they do on Siri.
    doozydozennolamacguybaconstangjahblade
  • Reply 14 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    shev said:
    Yeah good luck with that, you actually need powerful computers for all this fancy future tech and I don't see any running osx anywhere
    Well JFYI my Mac Pro (black cylinder)  booted into an external SSD with Window 10 passes the Steam VR test easily. So it's not the hardware but I agree we need to see some better GPU/ macOS advances for gamers.
    edited August 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 54
    The only thing that matters for Apple is how many iPhones they can sell each quarter. Nothing else in the company seems to matter at all. As far as Wall Street concerned Apple is a one-legged race-horse. Without the iPhone, Apple is headed for the glue factory. Outside of Apple, that's everyone's opinion. Only companies like Alphabet and Tesla can pull off that future project stuff and get investors interested. Apple can't sell any of that futuristic stuff to their investors. As far as the future is concerned, Apple won't be around long enough to see the future. Tim Cook simply can't sell anything to anyone. He's no Elon Musk, that's for sure.
    mac_dog
  • Reply 16 of 54
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Thanks Tim for pursuing these core technologies, but could you first significantly increase the battery life of the iPhone?

roger wade
  • Reply 17 of 54
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    The only thing that matters for Apple is how many iPhones they can sell each quarter. Nothing else in the company seems to matter at all. As far as Wall Street concerned Apple is a one-legged race-horse. Without the iPhone, Apple is headed for the glue factory. Outside of Apple, that's everyone's opinion. Only companies like Alphabet and Tesla can pull off that future project stuff and get investors interested. Apple can't sell any of that futuristic stuff to their investors. As far as the future is concerned, Apple won't be around long enough to see the future. Tim Cook simply can't sell anything to anyone. He's no Elon Musk, that's for sure.
    You should put a sarcasm tag on this one. Some people may actually believe what you're saying.
    nolamacguymac_doganton zuykovbaconstangtopper24hourspscooter63jahblade
  • Reply 18 of 54
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    yeah, Cook is so lousy at running a company selling things that they became even bigger and even more successful on his watch. oops. 
    mac_dogrealjustinlongration al
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Only companies like Alphabet and Tesla can pull off that future project stuff and get investors interested.
    And what futuristic product does Alphabet sell? Or Tesla? 
    I am not talking about "selling" hyper-loop which is complete bollocks from the economical standpoint, so that it only can be superseded by solar-freaking-roadways project.
    realjustinlong
  • Reply 20 of 54
    The only app that successfully utilizes AR is Pokemon Go. The rest are not that useful despite they look cool.