Apple to debut 10.5" iPad Pro in 2017, integrate flexible AMOLED tech in 2018

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    roake said:
    jdw said:
    Want a great iPhone? Just wait until 2017.
    Want a great iPad. Just wait until 2018.
    Want a Kaby Lake MacBook Pro? Just wait until... well... who knows when.

I have a great iPhone and a great iPad right now!
    Indeed the current iPhones and iPads are great, but the current Mac product line is outdated.  Apparently Apple does not care that much any more about the Mac.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 22 of 71
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Mmm ... I wonder what a guy like Woz, in his day, would do with an A10x (instead of a 6502 with 4 KB external RAM) ... and a guy like Jobs, in his day, would do with the UX.

Wiz was a hardware guy, I suspect that he keeps I touch with what is going on I the technology world and has a huge appreciation of the A series chips. The whole reason Apple went with the DIY "A" series chips is to allow Apple engineers the ability to put their skills and designs into the SOC just as Woz did back in the day building the Apple 2. My big concern here isn't Woz ( a guy I'd like to meet someday) but rather the modern day engineers at Apple getting frustrated with the slow roll out of things like the iPad. They are probably putting off iPad roll out to have enough next generation "A" series chips at iPhone launch time. If so that really sucks. In the end Apple will drive down sales just like it did with the old Mac Pro to the frustration of current owners looking for a real tangible upgrade of their hardware. I can see them literally burning the tablet market through lazy product releases.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 23 of 71
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    EXCUSE ME,... the ipad pro 9.7 is NOT LOW COST. I bought one, 128GB cell data in Canada with taxes, case, applecare+', apple pencil at least 1500 dollars!

Base model 799 Canadian...

yes, i have one, and am using it... Yes!, the speed!... The true tone display!...
  • Reply 24 of 71
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I just saw this commercial and thought it was for the Surface at first:

This is pretty embarrassing for Apple. I literally didn't realize it was an Apple ad until the very end. Everything about it looks like a rip off of the surface commercials.
    edited August 2016 singularitygatorguy
  • Reply 25 of 71
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    jdw said:
    Want a great iPhone? Just wait until 2017.
    Want a great iPad. Just wait until 2018.
    Want a Kaby Lake MacBook Pro? Just wait until... well... who knows when.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sick of playing the waiting game. And frankly, until Apple kicks out those promised devices (specifically, OLED tech), all that "blathering" a previous poster spoke of will continue in full force, and rightfully so. If Apple had those devices out now (which except perhaps for Kaby Lake is very possible, seeing other manufacturers have such tech), Apple would sell a huge amount (i.e., more than usual). But by delaying them for so long, our expectations grow higher and higher such that when they debut, our reaction, while still positive, is muted. And some people during that time go off and buy non-Apple products, which make it less likely they will be inclined to by those fancy new Apple devices.

I want to be wowed by Apple again. I don't want to be strung along playing the waiting game and then get let-down when it finally comes out because it's not so much better than anything else out there. This is Apple we're talking about. It should be possible to wow us if they really tried. Or are they so deluded that they think mediocrity will wow us?
    When did Apple ever promise OLED tech?
    SpamSandwichtopper24hours
  • Reply 26 of 71
    @jdw "I want to be wowed by Apple again. I don't want to be strung along playing the waiting game and then get let-down when it finally comes out because it's not so much better than anything else out there."

No, what you want is something entirely custom-made for *you*, which would be fine except you're conflating that with what everybody else wants. Techie boyz consider themselves to be 99% of the market, and therefore, anything that is not to their taste is either boring or a failure, as if what goes inside these updated phone is thoroughly incomparable to what they imagine a phone needs to look like.

You're not going to be satisfied at all.
    edited August 2016 nolamacguywilliamlondondoozydozenfastasleepSpamSandwich
  • Reply 27 of 71
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Why the hell would Apple release a 10.5" iPad? What's wrong with 9.7", you know the size that they have been using since the very beginning?

Why bother making something that's only 0.8" larger? That seems quite stupid and useless.

These analysts are probably as correct about this as they have been about the Apple TV set. Do you remember all of the speculation, and even what size TVs Apple would be releasing? It was all a bunch of complete shit, that remains untrue to this day.

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 28 of 71
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    apple ][ said:
    Why the hell would Apple release a 10.5" iPad? What's wrong with 9.7", you know the size that they have been using since the very beginning?

Why bother making something that's only 0.8" larger? That seems quite stupid and useless.

These analysts are probably as correct about this as they have been about the Apple TV set. Do you remember all of the speculation, and even what size TVs Apple would be releasing? It was all a bunch of complete shit, that remains untrue to this day.

Probably has more to do with the panel size /pixel density that Apple is going to cut the iPad screens from, but who knows. Most likely the iPad exterior size won't grow, so it would seem to be a benefit for the consumer.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cropr said:
    roake said:
    I have a great iPhone and a great iPad right now!
    Indeed the current iPhones and iPads are great, but the current Mac product line is outdated.  Apparently Apple does not care that much any more about the Mac.
    do you really believe that? despite the quotes from our favorite execs saying the exact opposite? do you really believe they want to give up their profits (best in PC biz) just....because? and you don't believe there's likely some other factor at play here that were obviously ignorant to?
    williamlondondoozydozenfastasleep
  • Reply 30 of 71
    Look backward and just see what we've had delivered to us by this exciting industry in the past 10 - 20 years, it's actually fucking amazing how things have changed in life in that regard, but it's not logical to expect the same in the next 10 - 20 years.

Yeah!  

No mobile phones -- instead you had landlines and dial or push-button phones from 1 company.  Phone booths with coin-operated phones -- very expensive extra charges per minute for voice calls.   Sets of telephone books for listings in major cities -- the ones in the phone booths always had the pages torn out for the person you were looking up.  Some dude showing off how strong he was by tearing a 6 inch thick phone book in half.

No texting -- instead you sent a telegram at a cost per word and a minimum number of words -- or (Gasp) took the time to write a letter.

The Web was just getting up to speed -- Yeesus Marta, I've got the complete set of AOL disks with 120,000 free minutes.   In 1994, the first [banner] ad appeared on a web page ...  Seemed, pretty stupid:  Why would you spend thousands of dollars developing and hosting a web site -- only enticing the visitor to leave as soon as he gets to your site???  Logical answer:  Develop a site that has no content, only ads ...

No interactive web forums where you could exchange ideas -- or bitch and moan about anything. Everything.

No events where the person in front of you blocked your view by holding up their cell phones.

No gatherings (parties, dinner table, family time) where everyone stares at their phones instead of interacting with the people around them.

There have been lots of advances, but not all for the better ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINa46HeWg8

williamlondongatorguy
  • Reply 31 of 71
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Not really interested in any of this. Who cares? Slightly bigger, smaller.

How about a new Mac Pro ... now you have my attention! Only 3 years and counting between serves
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 32 of 71
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    apple ][ said:

Well if true, I bet the iPad mini is on its way out. The 9.7" will replace the the mini and the 10.5" will replace the 9.7" iPad's place. The mini isn't really necessary anymore anyways. Its not much larger than the 6/6S Plus. 
    albegarc
  • Reply 33 of 71
    Look backward and just see what we've had delivered to us by this exciting industry in the past 10 - 20 years, it's actually fucking amazing how things have changed in life in that regard, but it's not logical to expect the same in the next 10 - 20 years.

Yeah!  

No mobile phones -- instead you had landlines and dial or push-button phones from 1 company.  Phone booths with coin-operated phones -- very expensive extra charges per minute for voice calls.   Sets of telephone books for listings in major cities -- the ones in the phone booths always had the pages torn out for the person you were looking up.  Some dude showing off how strong he was by tearing a 6 inch thick phone book in half.

No texting -- instead you sent a telegram at a cost per word and a minimum number of words -- or (Gasp) took the time to write a letter.

The Web was just getting up to speed -- Yeesus Marta, I've got the complete set of AOL disks with 120,000 free minutes.   In 1994, the first [banner] ad appeared on a web page ...  Seemed, pretty stupid:  Why would you spend thousands of dollars developing and hosting a web site -- only enticing the visitor to leave as soon as he gets to your site???  Logical answer:  Develop a site that has no content, only ads ...

No interactive web forums where you could exchange ideas -- or bitch and moan about anything. Everything.

No events where the person in front of you blocked your view by holding up their cell phones.

No gatherings (parties, dinner table, family time) where everyone stares at their phones instead of interacting with the people around them.

There have been lots of advances, but not all for the better ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINa46HeWg8

So right! Loved, loved, loved that video. It shows such truth, but I can't believe with all the photo-taking freaks out there they don't see themselves in *this* way (as depicted in the video). It's fucking weird, you'd think they'd get a sense of how stupid they look from all the vast, myriad photos and videos all those goons take every single day. Seriously, who wants to live in that world? Thanks for posting that video!

Regarding revolution in computing, I just saw a stat that said in the UK in 1996 27% of households owned a computer, while in 2014 (nearly 20 years later) that number had jumped to 85% (desktop computer ownership), go back to 1985 and the number was a mere 13% (though even that seems high). The revolution has occurred, in the future it's going to be more about usage, interaction, integration of devices and services, yet we've got so many people who think the same conditions that brought about that revolution are still happening and will continue to deliver those big changes in the future (and moan when they don't arrive), which is ludicrous.
    edited August 2016 roundaboutnow
  • Reply 34 of 71
    wizard69 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    This is excellent news. The 2017 iPhone and the 2018 iPad should finally minimize the blathering we've been hearing from critics. Apple knows what it's doing, and won't rush to be the first to get a product to market. They'll wait until it's done right.
    Terrible news if you are in the market for a new iPad!
    LOL that's what I was thinking for a hot second. I was holding out for iPad 2 because v2 is usually the better v1. It would be a bummer to see v3 signifigantly trump v2, but I honestly have waited long enough. If v3 has a flexible OLED I'll just qualify it by saying "I'm sure there will be some quality issues with the first flexible OLEDS. ;)

The current version of IPP is already "what I've always wanted" I just wanted to make sure Apple felt like they got it right before I plunked down the cash. 

Just give myself an IPP, a pencil, maybe a slightly better screen, processor, ram and a couple of enhancements gleaned from V1. I wasn't counting on anything so grand as a flexible OLED and by the time it hits the market I will have enjoyed my very useful IPP V2 for more than a year. 
  • Reply 35 of 71
    wozwoz said:
    Not really interested in any of this. Who cares? Slightly bigger, smaller.

How about a new Mac Pro ... now you have my attention! Only 3 years and counting between serves

Why? What would a new Macpro accomplish that you can't already today? Or do you just enjoy dropping $4k-$5k annually? I don't miss the upgrade every year for a few MHz and a new slot BS at all. I've personally enjoyed the slowdown in the desktop market upgrade. It gives everyone a chance to get caught up and it eases the amortizization of some damn pricey equipment. Hell for example adobe's support for Mac video cards is 2-3 generations behind current. It simply doesn't make sense to upgrade every year or two any more. Please enlighten me if there's something I don't know, but the next big jump in desktops isn't going to come from the current model for computing and engineering. 
    williamlondonnolamacguydoozydozenuraharatopper24hours
  • Reply 36 of 71
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    apple ][ said:

A 9.7" diagonal display with 4:3 aspect ratio measures 7.76" X 5.80", for a total screen area of 45.13 square inches.

A 10.5" diagonal display, assuming the same 4:3 aspect ratio measures 8.40" X 6.30", for a total screen area of 52.94 square inches.

So a 10.5" 4:3 screen is 17.3% larger than a 9.7" 4:3 screen.

Coincidentally, a 10.5" screen, in order to fit in the current iPad 9.7" chassis, would need to reduce by exactly half each bezel.  What that implies for the Home button is anyone's guess.
    williamlondontopper24hours
  • Reply 37 of 71
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    macxpress said:
    apple ][ said:

Well if true, I bet the iPad mini is on its way out. The 9.7" will replace the the mini and the 10.5" will replace the 9.7" iPad's place. The mini isn't really necessary anymore anyways. Its not much larger than the 6/6S Plus. 
    Parent's who buy iPad Mini's for children not deemed old enough for iPhones. Some people buy these as readers.

Apple isn't going to get rid of the iPad Mini anytime soon.
    topper24hours
  • Reply 38 of 71
    macxpress said:
    That would be an idiotic, colossal mistake, if that were true.

Many people love the mini size.

I know somebody who uses both an iPhone 6S+ and the iPad Mini 4, and they like both.

At the moment, I'm still using my iPad Air 2 9.7", but I am probably getting a 12.9" iPad Pro, when it comes out later this year.

wozwoz
  • Reply 39 of 71
    A 9.7" diagonal display with 4:3 aspect ratio measures 7.76" X 5.80", for a total screen area of 45.13 square inches.

A 10.5" diagonal display, assuming the same 4:3 aspect ratio measures 8.40" X 6.30", for a total screen area of 52.94 square inches.

So a 10.5" 4:3 screen is 17.3% larger than a 9.7" 4:3 screen.

Coincidentally, a 10.5" screen, in order to fit in the current iPad 9.7" chassis, would need to reduce by exactly half each bezel.  What that implies for the Home button is anyone's guess.
    If somebody wants a larger screen, then there's already an iPad for that, the Pro 12.9".

If Apple can make the bezels smaller, I wouldn't object to that.
    edited August 2016 doozydozentallest skilwozwoz
  • Reply 40 of 71
    wizard69 said:

Mmm ... I wonder what a guy like Woz, in his day, would do with an A10x (instead of a 6502 with 4 KB external RAM) ... and a guy like Jobs, in his day, would do with the UX.

Wiz was a hardware guy, I suspect that he keeps I touch with what is going on I the technology world and has a huge appreciation of the A series chips. The whole reason Apple went with the DIY "A" series chips is to allow Apple engineers the ability to put their skills and designs into the SOC just as Woz did back in the day building the Apple 2. My big concern here isn't Woz ( a guy I'd like to meet someday) but rather the modern day engineers at Apple getting frustrated with the slow roll out of things like the iPad. They are probably putting off iPad roll out to have enough next generation "A" series chips at iPhone launch time. If so that really sucks. In the end Apple will drive down sales just like it did with the old Mac Pro to the frustration of current owners looking for a real tangible upgrade of their hardware. I can see them literally burning the tablet market through lazy product releases.

Likely, the new iPads will use A10x chips and the new iPhones will use A10 chips.  AFAICT, previous versions of prior AX and AXx were 2 totally different chips made on different production lines -- so availability of one would not impact the availability of the other -- except for the resources dedicated to each line.

In the early days of semiconductor manufacturing they would build for a target spec, then test to assure that spec was met.  Any rejects could be tested at a lower target and used elsewhere if they met that lower spec. Chips weren't marked with a part number until they met a spec.

IDK if they do this anymore but, if viable, Apple could build chips targeting A10X chips for the fastest iPads,  Rejects could be tested al lower specs for slower iPads, AppleTVs, and possibly (size permitting) A10 specs for the iPhones.

If Apple were to do the above, I think there would be a smaller yield of A10X chips and a larger yield of A10 chips -- so the  A10 chip availability wouldn't be affected ...  But, if there is a major shortage, they could use the A10X chips (under clocked, etc.) as A10 chips.

In that case, yes, iPhone sales could impact the new iPads.

At some point, Apple will, likely, replace the Intel chips in new Macs with one or more A series chips -- the A10X may be that chip.   It could be that the new iPad availability could be impacted by the release, say, of new MacBooks.