Tim Cook says AI & augmented reality are core technologies in Apple's future

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    It be nice if they waited to learn from the potential preceding failures you know as per tradition.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 42 of 54
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    wizard69 said:
    If Siri is any examsle Apple has a very very long ways to go with AI technology.  Right now Siri appears to be a sock puppet. 
    I never really understand these kind of comments as Siri works great for me.  In general I use it to send texts, read texts, for unit/currency conversion, quick math, calling contacts and non-contacts (such as "Hey Siri, call The Summer House", a local ice cream shop), to turn on/off/dim the lights or the stereo (HomeKit), to get directions, to play/change music, etc.  I do several of these things multiple times a day and very rarely have issues.  The biggest issues for me are when I'm trying to initiate a command over Bluetooth in my car where Siri has more trouble understanding me and it has a slower response time (to start).  Also, I use Siri on my Apple Watch and my iPhone and for both have very few trouble spots (but more on the Watch).

What makes you say Siri appears to be a sock puppet?  This is a genuine question because my experience is largely different from that.
    I agree. Regarding your comment about it working in the car, I was sometimes having a problem in the car too and I realized my phone was latching onto to weak wi-fi signals while driving or stopped at a light. Once I enabled wi-fi assist in settings>cellular (way at the bottom) it is much faster in the car as long as there is a decent cell signal.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    I've been trying to find a use for Siri. I've found it problematic to use for texts (at least from the lock screen) and my searches have generally not exactly been for what I'm actually searching for, such as "Albert Pool Holes."

I resort to opening Safari and using the dictation feature. It's far more reliable.
    I dictate texts all the time without unlocking first.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    I admit that I'm on the loser & loner side of things.  I'm not married, not in a relationship, not dating, I have a full time job that pays well, and an apartment.  I don't use Siri at all as I've not found a single use for it.  I can see how people "with lives" could benefit from AI, but I don't see it helping me any more than Siri currently helps me.  I suspect there are plenty of people just like me out there.  It seems to me that AI would only be successful if it helps everyone, not just those fortunate enough to, "have a life".
    Do you ever get sick, in an accident or need help?

What if your iDevice could monitor those and take an IFTTT action?

My 17-year-old grandson has heart palpitations (racing heartbeat).  There's an iPhone app that can measure that -- if you are able to invoke the app and hold your finger to the screen.  But, an Apple Watch app could do the same thing by continuously monitoring your heartbeat -- and notifying you, your family, your physician if there's a problem.

AI could help everyone to stay alive.

That's not really what AI is. What your describing already exists and is implemented across many apps including IFTT.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cnocbui said:
    get a clue man -- it's already been shown time and time again that iDevices have the longest useful lives of any. people keep them longer, then give them to friends & family. so your little troll fantasy is as pathetic as it is untrue. 

and its stupid, besides. if and when Apple can sell a device that changes battery chemistry and can last much longer than the core technology today, of course they'd sell it. why would they want to leave it a competitor to sell? that's just idiotic to press they wouldn't. 
    I bought my daughter a SH iPhone 5 two years ago.  The battery was good for one hour of doing nothing, when full charged when it arrived.  No wonder the previous owner got rid of it.

My 2012 MBPR tells me the battery needs replacing.  I just got off the phone to Apple's authorised repairer for a quote - €663  ($740).  Fuck that and Apple too.  While I really like OSX, It is not worth it at those sorts of prices.

Keep blowing your fanboy trumpet, I'm sure someone appreciates the noise you make.
    and you can keep foaming at the mouth about how much you hate a thing, yet continue to compulsively talk about that thing online, over and over. the thing you purport to hate. yeah -- we call that neurosis, buddy.
    edited August 2016 brucemc
  • Reply 46 of 54
    mike1 said:
    I agree. Regarding your comment about it working in the car, I was sometimes having a problem in the car too and I realized my phone was latching onto to weak wi-fi signals while driving or stopped at a light. Once I enabled wi-fi assist in settings>cellular (way at the bottom) it is much faster in the car as long as there is a decent cell signal.
    Sorry, that's not really what I meant.  Just for clarity, if I'm on my car's Bluetooth and invoke Siri on my iPhone Siri is very slow to give me that initial tone that's indicating it is ready for me to talk.  After the connection is finally made everything works as I would expect, with the exception of Siri's voice and the start/end tones always sound staticky. I find that very odd as music playing over Bluetooth doesn't sound bad at all but everything with Siri does.

That said, I find I use my Watch in the car more often than directly with the iPhone.  Mostly because I can continue to listen to music and the response time with the Watch isn't that much slower and is much safer than pulling out my phone.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Soli said:
    The only app that successfully utilizes AR is Pokemon Go. The rest are not that useful despite they look cool. 
    Is Pokemon go "the only app that successfully utilized AR" or is Pokemon Go "the only successful app that utilized AR"?
    I'll take option number 2.

I used to use an app called AroundMe all the time.  It's functionality was very similar to Siri Suggestions in iOS9 where you can tap the buttons for Restaurants, Shopping, Gas, Entertainment, etc. and get a list of those things that are near to you.  However, when using AroundMe if I rotated my iPhone to landscape the rear camera would turn on and show a live view with little tags for whatever category I had chosen on the screen.  The tags would indicate the name of, for instance, restaurants and show how far I would have to travel in that direction to get to wherever I was choosing to go.  If I physically turned in another direction all the tags would move off the screen and new tags would appear that matched up with restaurants I was then "headed toward".  It was a fun way to figure out where we wanted to go and people were always blown away when they saw it in action, especially if we were outside and they could see that the app was tagging a restaurant and the tag was lined up with the actual restaurant on screen.

So yes, Pokemon Go is not the only app that successfully utilized AR. AroundMe utilized it successfully AND it was useful. (I'm pretty sure the AR portion of the app is no longer supported but I can't be sure, I haven't used it in quite some time.)
  • Reply 48 of 54
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Soli said:
    Is Pokemon go "the only app that successfully utilized AR" or is Pokemon Go "the only successful app that utilized AR"?
    I'll take option number 2.

I used to use an app called AroundMe all the time.  It's functionality was very similar to Siri Suggestions in iOS9 where you can tap the buttons for Restaurants, Shopping, Gas, Entertainment, etc. and get a list of those things that are near to you.  However, when using AroundMe if I rotated my iPhone to landscape the rear camera would turn on and show a live view with little tags for whatever category I had chosen on the screen.  The tags would indicate the name of, for instance, restaurants and show how far I would have to travel in that direction to get to wherever I was choosing to go.  If I physically turned in another direction all the tags would move off the screen and new tags would appear that matched up with restaurants I was then "headed toward".  It was a fun way to figure out where we wanted to go and people were always blown away when they saw it in action, especially if we were outside and they could see that the app was tagging a restaurant and the tag was lined up with the actual restaurant on screen.

So yes, Pokemon Go is not the only app that successfully utilized AR. AroundMe utilized it successfully AND it was useful. (I'm pretty sure the AR portion of the app is no longer supported but I can't be sure, I haven't used it in quite some time.)
    That sounds a lot like Here City Lens which Nokia had in 2012.

The thing I like about all the Here apps is that most of this extra location specific data is downloaded with the off-line map so it works even without a wifi or data connection.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    cnocbui said:

The thing I like about all the Here apps is that most of this extra location specific data is downloaded with the off-line map so it works even without a wifi or data connection.
    It was very similar to that. Like I said, I think the AR isn't part of AroundMe any more. Too bad becuase it's pretty neat. Obviously it's more handy in an area you aren't familiar with, but still cool. 

You said it had it in 2012, does that mean it's been discontinued, as well? AroundMe worked like that for a while but probably stopped on or before 2012 so I wonder if there was some kind of/threat of infringement. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 50 of 54
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The only thing that matters for Apple is how many iPhones they can sell each quarter. Nothing else in the company seems to matter at all. As far as Wall Street concerned Apple is a one-legged race-horse. Without the iPhone, Apple is headed for the glue factory. Outside of Apple, that's everyone's opinion. Only companies like Alphabet and Tesla can pull off that future project stuff and get investors interested. Apple can't sell any of that futuristic stuff to their investors. As far as the future is concerned, Apple won't be around long enough to see the future. Tim Cook simply can't sell anything to anyone. He's no Elon Musk, that's for sure.
    yeah, Cook is so lousy at running a company selling things that they became even bigger and even more successful on his watch. oops. 
    That is the sort of thinking that lets great companies die.  Apple is a hardware company.  The software supports hardware sales by making something more than just the hardware itself.  Cook claiming the future is AI would be OK if SIRI, the main current example of Apple AI, wasn't so stale. That story only works while the hardware is insanely great and uses software in amazing ways.  Some of us were around the last time Apple lost its way in the late eighties and early nineties, and it was tragic.  I don't want to see history repeat itself.

All Cook has done is fine tune process, because that is what he knows. The hardware is all stale, the software is stale.  In truth Apple has done little more than follow the path Jobs set before he died.  But Cook is bored with that, and would rather indulge in his SJW passions.

Did I mention Apple is getting stale?
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 51 of 54
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cnocbui said:

It was very similar to that. Like I said, I think the AR isn't part of AroundMe any more. Too bad becuase it's pretty neat. Obviously it's more handy in an area you aren't familiar with, but still cool. 

You said it had it in 2012, does that mean it's been discontinued, as well? AroundMe worked like that for a while but probably stopped on or before 2012 so I wonder if there was some kind of/threat of infringement. 
    It's still going fine on my Nokia currently with the latest update.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    entropys said:
    yeah, Cook is so lousy at running a company selling things that they became even bigger and even more successful on his watch. oops. 
    That is the sort of thinking that lets great companies die.  Apple is a hardware company.  The software supports hardware sales by making something more than just the hardware itself.  Cook claiming the future is AI would be OK if SIRI, the main current example of Apple AI, wasn't so stale. That story only works while the hardware is insanely great and uses software in amazing ways.  Some of us were around the last time Apple lost its way in the late eighties and early nineties, and it was tragic.  I don't want to see history repeat itself.

All Cook has done is fine tune process, because that is what he knows. The hardware is all stale, the software is stale.  In truth Apple has done little more than follow the path Jobs set before he died.  But Cook is bored with that, and would rather indulge in his SJW passions.

Did I mention Apple is getting stale?
    I've said this before when certain flatliners like Benjamin Frost (or maybe you) use the "stale" cliché to whinge about Apple's products — the word says more about you and the state of your nervous system than it says about Apple.

Point is, you don't have the imagination or the good taste to see what drives the company. Apple is neither a hardware nor a software nor a services company; it's a mind-amplification company. They're shaping everything they make to fit together into an externalized, computer-augmented analog of your memories, decisions, desires to interact with others, and so on. If you've burned out your powers of integration on games and Android, you will find Apple stale. But what's really stale to you is real life. 

Anyway, notice there's not a word from Tim Cook about VR. Augmented Reality is much more Apple's style, because it's based on "real" reality.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 53 of 54
    wizard69 said:
    If Siri is any examsle Apple has a very very long ways to go with AI technology.  Right now Siri appears to be a sock puppet.  macxpress said:

I've found Siri to be pretty decent at what it's designed to be, an assistant.  If Apple has ever actually used the phrase "Artificial Intelligence" in reference to Siri, I haven't seen it.  That doesn't, of course, mean they haven't, just that I haven't seen it; I don't pay too much attention to things like that.

• Reply 54 of 54
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    cnocbui said:
    The battery in the iP5 did qualify for the replacement program, but that wasn't announced until after I had replaced the battery myself.

The program also allowed for Apple to reimburse you for that battery. They sent me a check for like $8 to cover the battery I bought on Amazon to replace mine a while prior to the announcement.