Apple to debut 10.5" iPad Pro in 2017, integrate flexible AMOLED tech in 2018

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    I really wonder how a "more intuitive" user interface might look like. on the one hand iOS on a basic level is still the most intuitive user interface I've encountered and I still need to meet a person who did not grasp the basic UI more or less immediately. 
    OTOH over the releases iOS can do a lot more and this leads t a number of non obvious features. How specifically flexible display tech should enable a next "jump" in terms of usability I have no idea. Ok, you can depress the screen instead of having the screen emulate the physical action, you might have "real" keyboards etc. but that's nothing revolutionary in my eyes. Hm. Curious what will come. 
    Yeah I've always disliked it when people keep superimpose what progress is in the minds of the googles and sumsungs of this world on apple which usually have been gimmicky solutions is search of answers concoctions of unmitigated misuse of emerging tech. What I think has been key to apple's successes has been a great answer to questions that at face value seem very simple to answer but how well you do has been the difference, the question here I think is what meaningful benefit can a flexible display bring to the user? Hoping apple answers this one well
  • Reply 42 of 71
      Flexible AMOLED probably means 3D touch for 2018 iPad-s?
  • Reply 43 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    haar said:
    Canada
    Found your problem. “If you don’t buy your competitors products, they win.”
  • Reply 44 of 71
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    jdw said:
    Want a Kaby Lake MacBook Pro? Just wait until... well... who knows when.

I'm sure they'll get the MacBook Pro out this year - just don't be surprised by the price increase.
    It will be because of the OLED function key strip that they're adding.   If the iPad Pro (9.7 inch ) could go up $100 over the previous gen iPad Air.    I expect Apple to hike the price of the BackBook Pro by at least $200.

• Reply 45 of 71
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    wozwoz said:
    Not really interested in any of this. Who cares? Slightly bigger, smaller.

How about a new Mac Pro ... now you have my attention! Only 3 years and counting between serves

Then why click on an article about potential new iPads if your interest is in a new Mac Pro?
    fastasleepwilliamlondonnolamacguy
  • Reply 46 of 71
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    cropr said:
    roake said:
    I have a great iPhone and a great iPad right now!
    Indeed the current iPhones and iPads are great, but the current Mac product line is outdated.  Apparently Apple does not care that much any more about the Mac.
    The current Mac product lineup is definitely outdated. I see three possible reasons for this:

1. Apple doesn't care very much about the Mac
    2. Apple can't figure out how to improve the product anymore
    3. Apple is facing unexpected delays in getting improved product out the door

Of course, it could be some combination of all three. 

My hope is that it's all #3 -- some unexpected snafu, beyond their control, that is resulting in the delay of new Macs. Hopefully those new Macs will come out by the end of the year and will be awesome. 

My fear is that it's more a combination of #1 and #2

Time will tell. 
    wozwoz
  • Reply 47 of 71
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    blastdoor said:
    cropr said:
    Indeed the current iPhones and iPads are great, but the current Mac product line is outdated.  Apparently Apple does not care that much any more about the Mac.
    The current Mac product lineup is definitely outdated. I see three possible reasons for this:

My hope is that it's all #3 -- some unexpected snafu, beyond their control, that is resulting in the delay of new Macs. Hopefully those new Macs will come out by the end of the year and will be awesome. 

Time will tell. 

A new overhauled line of MacBook Pros are imminent. All signs point to them using Skylake-H/IP580 and Polaris GPU chipsets which are both just recently released. Complaints that they didn't release something months ago when these essential components were not even available are ridiculous. 

Not sure where the Xeon and GPU roadmap are at right now for the MP but I assume similar dependencies for a meaningful upgrade. I'd expect a new rev soon with Thunderbolt 3/USB-C. Also probably some improvements to the thermal design as that's been a point of failure on those machines from what I understand. 

IMac should get a bump and Thunderbolt 3/USB-C this fall to fall in line with the others. Who knows with the mini but I'd expect the same there if not a new design at some point, if they don't kill it. 

so how about:

4. Apple is updating hardware in line with availability of necessary technology for meaningful updates which involves facing *expected* delays, despite the narrative that Apple is sitting around doing nothing all day long.

nolamacguytmay
  • Reply 48 of 71
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    apple ][ said:
    Why the hell would Apple release a 10.5" iPad? What's wrong with 9.7", you know the size that they have been using since the very beginning?

Why bother making something that's only 0.8" larger? That seems quite stupid and useless.

These analysts are probably as correct about this as they have been about the Apple TV set. Do you remember all of the speculation, and even what size TVs Apple would be releasing? It was all a bunch of complete shit, that remains untrue to this day.

Probably the same hardware with a reduced bezel. By the way this appears to be Apples 2017 financial calendar not the conventional calendar. So maybe ne iPads sooner than initially thought.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    wizard69 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    This is excellent news. The 2017 iPhone and the 2018 iPad should finally minimize the blathering we've been hearing from critics. Apple knows what it's doing, and won't rush to be the first to get a product to market. They'll wait until it's done right.
    Terrible news if you are in the market for a new iPad!
    LOL that's what I was thinking for a hot second. I was holding out for iPad 2 because v2 is usually the better v1. It would be a bummer to see v3 signifigantly trump v2, but I honestly have waited long enough. If v3 has a flexible OLED I'll just qualify it by saying "I'm sure there will be some quality issues with the first flexible OLEDS.

The current version of IPP is already "what I've always wanted" I just wanted to make sure Apple felt like they got it right before I plunked down the cash. 

Just give myself an IPP, a pencil, maybe a slightly better screen, processor, ram and a couple of enhancements gleaned from V1. I wasn't counting on anything so grand as a flexible OLED and by the time it hits the market I will have enjoyed my very useful IPP V2 for more than a year. 
    I'd still wait. Some other sites are reporting 2017F which I take to mean Apples physical quarter. That could mean new iPads earlier than initially thought based on AI's crappy reporting.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    jdw said:
    Want a great iPhone? Just wait until 2017.
    Want a great iPad. Just wait until 2018.
    Want a Kaby Lake MacBook Pro? Just wait until... well... who knows when.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sick of playing the waiting game...are they so deluded that they think mediocrity will wow us?
    Somehow I manage to live my life buying the Apple products that do exist...and I like them, and they work, and they often wow me, and many other people.

The waiting game is bullshit nonsense.
    nolamacguytmayfastasleep
  • Reply 51 of 71
    I'm really hoping they don't abandon the mini, I love mine. Although it's less used since I got my 6+, it's still a perfect size for certain things, especially reading PDFs (which I can't read on my phone and my Air is too large to hold comfortably while reading). A pen added to the mini would be my ideal, allowing markup in documents with a tool that isn't my clumsy imprecise finger.

Having a big iPad in the smaller 10.5" model (as some have posited), now that's also very interesting, I love the bigger screen, but can't justify the additional bulk or heft, so still prefer my Air on the go, but that new model would absolutely be something to tempt me. Can't wait to see what they release!
    chia said:
    wozwoz said:

How about a new Mac Pro ... now you have my attention! Only 3 years and counting between serves
    Then why click on an article about potential new iPads if your interest is in a new Mac Pro?
    It's like being at MacRumors years ago when the last MP was getting a bit long in the tooth, every single thread was hijacked by "Mac Pro now!" posters, so fucking annoying, like the unrelenting pestering of unruly children.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 52 of 71
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    blastdoor said:

Time will tell. 

so how about:

4. Apple is updating hardware in line with availability of necessary technology for meaningful updates which involves facing *expected* delays, despite the narrative that Apple is sitting around doing nothing all day long.
    please dont be reasonable.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 53 of 71

so how about:

please dont be reasonable.
    But I come to AI for the reason! I go to MR when I want to argue with petulant children who want next generation technology yesterday and drop any ties to reality in making their case for it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 54 of 71
    blastdoor said:

Time will tell. 

A new overhauled line of MacBook Pros are imminent. All signs point to them using Skylake-H/IP580 and Polaris GPU chipsets which are both just recently released. Complaints that they didn't release something months ago when these essential components were not even available are ridiculous. 

Not sure where the Xeon and GPU roadmap are at right now for the MP but I assume similar dependencies for a meaningful upgrade. I'd expect a new rev soon with Thunderbolt 3/USB-C. Also probably some improvements to the thermal design as that's been a point of failure on those machines from what I understand. 

IMac should get a bump and Thunderbolt 3/USB-C this fall to fall in line with the others. Who knows with the mini but I'd expect the same there if not a new design at some point, if they don't kill it. 

so how about:

you make apple sound like some generic PC OEM that is entirely dependent on Intel, AMD, and Nvidia for hardware improvements, Sad! I guess I have higher expectations than that. 
    wozwoz
  • Reply 55 of 71
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    This 10.5" iPad size must be a replacement for the 9.7" iPad Pro, not an additional model...it's only 0.8" bigger. I reckon the 'Pro' iPad range will settle at 10.5" & 12.9" (if this rumour is true) with 7.9" & 9.7" for the non-pro models. Also if this analyst is correct no 12.9" iPad Pro 2 to be released this Fall, which is a pittey.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    blastdoor said:

so how about:

you make apple sound like some generic PC OEM that is entirely dependent on Intel, AMD, and Nvidia for hardware improvements, Sad! I guess I have higher expectations than that. 
    Entirely, no, as Apple makes plenty of their own hardware improvements alongside those processor changes. But let's look at the MBP as a specific example.

They could not have possibly released a Skylake-H/Polaris MBP earlier than right around nowish. Let's say they released a new MBP a few months ago, then these chips came out — they'd spend the rest of the year being outdated, again! Everyone would complain again, despite clamoring for the release of the MBP no matter what chips were available, regardless of other Apple-designed hardware improvements that came out alongside otherwise.

Let's say you work at Apple, and you're working on a complete overhaul of the MBP. Do you release a couple months earlier in 2016 just before new Intel and AMD processors are going to be available, also in advance of your new OS release, and who knows what other tech they might be working on that's not up to yield such as new 3rd party display tech or other (OLED strip, touchID, something else we don't know about) tech improvements, or do you schedule your lineup to coincide with the release of all these things at the same time which allows your design to actually be produced?

If you picked the latter over the former, you'd probably still have a job at Apple.

Everyone wishing for a release of something based on their imaginary timeline of when something is due without considering any of the above  (very much including those 3rd party silicon manufacturers) is living a dreamland. Yes, they are somewhat tied to Intel/AMD, look at the number of people whining the MBP isn't on "Skylake" yet even though the necessary line of those for a 15" MBP are just now seeing the light of day. And don't even bring up the number of those people still upset the 15" didn't get Broadwell last spring, even though it was like a 5-10% bump in processor speed and they'd never know the difference in real world use without someone telling them it was named differently than the previous gen processor. All I'm saying is the timing is related to these things, not that it's 100% dependent ONLY on these things but it's a significant factor as they're major components of any model of Mac. And that's not anything new.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 57 of 71
    smarkysmarky Posts: 75member
    Hmmm I really want an iPad... I have had tablets before but not an iPad... So I am waiting for a Pro 2... hope they don't take too long to come out. 

Considering how Apple is trying to put some life back into the iPad and the push with the Pro line, I was surprised that iOS 10 didn't have more iPad based features to push it more into the portable computer they are pushing this as.

I assume this will come with a point release and perhaps these new iPads. 
  • Reply 58 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    tmay said:
    macxpress said:
    apple ][ said:
    Why the hell would Apple release a 10.5" iPad? What's wrong with 9.7", you know the size that they have been using since the very beginning?

Why bother making something that's only 0.8" larger? That seems quite stupid and useless.

These analysts are probably as correct about this as they have been about the Apple TV set. Do you remember all of the speculation, and even what size TVs Apple would be releasing? It was all a bunch of complete shit, that remains untrue to this day.

Well if true, I bet the iPad mini is on its way out. The 9.7" will replace the the mini and the 10.5" will replace the 9.7" iPad's place. The mini isn't really necessary anymore anyways. Its not much larger than the 6/6S Plus. 
    Parent's who buy iPad Mini's for children not deemed old enough for iPhones. Some people buy these as readers.

Apple isn't going to get rid of the iPad Mini anytime soon.
    IMHO they will soon retire the mini. If it lasts beyond 2017 as a part of Apple's lineup I'll be moderately surprised.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    blastdoor said:
    Entirely, no, as Apple makes plenty of their own hardware improvements alongside those processor changes. But let's look at the MBP as a specific example.

They could not have possibly released a Skylake-H/Polaris MBP earlier than right around nowish. Let's say they released a new MBP a few months ago, then these chips came out — they'd spend the rest of the year being outdated, again! Everyone would complain again, despite clamoring for the release of the MBP no matter what chips were available, regardless of other Apple-designed hardware improvements that came out alongside otherwise.

Let's say you work at Apple, and you're working on a complete overhaul of the MBP. Do you release a couple months earlier in 2016 just before new Intel and AMD processors are going to be available, also in advance of your new OS release, and who knows what other tech they might be working on that's not up to yield such as new 3rd party display tech or other (OLED strip, touchID, something else we don't know about) tech improvements, or do you schedule your lineup to coincide with the release of all these things at the same time which allows your design to actually be produced?

If you picked the latter over the former, you'd probably still have a job at Apple.

Everyone wishing for a release of something based on their imaginary timeline of when something is due without considering any of the above  (very much including those 3rd party silicon manufacturers) is living a dreamland. Yes, they are somewhat tied to Intel/AMD, look at the number of people whining the MBP isn't on "Skylake" yet even though the necessary line of those for a 15" MBP are just now seeing the light of day. And don't even bring up the number of those people still upset the 15" didn't get Broadwell last spring, even though it was like a 5-10% bump in processor speed and they'd never know the difference in real world use without someone telling them it was named differently than the previous gen processor. All I'm saying is the timing is related to these things, not that it's 100% dependent ONLY on these things but it's a significant factor as they're major components of any model of Mac. And that's not anything new.
    It has been 455 days since the MacBook Pro was released. It uses a 22nm Haswell CPU from Intel. Apple has bypassed the 14nm Broadwell chips entirely. The die shrink to 14 nm reduced power consumption which is clearly beneficial in a laptop. Apple should have been capable of bringing to market a Broadwell-based MacBook Pro with the additional rumored improvements (TouchID, touch-OLED function keys) at least 6 months ago (appropriate Broadwell chips became available in June of 2015). 

This situation cannot be easily explained away. 
  • Reply 60 of 71
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    wozwoz said:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they went back to a slightly more compact version of the "cheese grater" design if it meant more frequent updates and greater customizability. The trash can design was a real cock-up.