Angela Ahrendts attends Apple Store grand opening at World Trade Center in New York City

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2016
Just a few weeks after opening its first retail store in Brooklyn, Apple debuted its ninth store in New York City on Tuesday, with the new World Trade Center location opening its doors ahead of the anticipated launch of the "iPhone 7."

Video and photos courtesy of AppleInsider reader Ryan of Traced, Inc.

As spotted by AppleInsider reader Ryan, Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts was on-hand for the grand opening celebration. The two-story retail location features an entrance on the first floor of the new World Trade Center mall.

Ahrendts was on the store floor when it opened, but her presence was quickly noticed by the first customers. After posing for a few photos with fans and employees, she exited via the store's elevator.

The Apple Store at World Trade Center is located within the $4 billion Oculus structure that resides in the shadow of One World Trade Center. The new retail mall also serves as a connection between the underground station for New York City subways and the PATH trains that arrive from New Jersey.

Rather than Apple's typical Saturday grand opening, the new retail location opened at noon local time on Tuesday, celebrating the public debut of the rest of the mall.

Apple now has seven retail locations in Manhattan alone, with the World Trade Center store joined by the iconic Fifth Avenue cube, a Grand Central Terminal location, as well as stores in SoHo, the Upper West Side, Upper East Side, and the Meatpacking District.

Three other New York City stores are also available: On Staten Island, in the Queens Center Mall, and in Brooklyn's Williamsburg neighborhood. The Brooklyn store opened just a few weeks ago, becoming the first in the city's most populous borough.

The timing of the new Brooklyn and World Trade Center stores is particularly important, as Apple is rumored to be gearing up to debut its next-generation iPhone in just a few weeks, on Sept. 7. If the company sticks to its usual launch pattern, as is expected, it's likely that the so-called "iPhone 7" will debut in mid-to-late September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    I wonder if Ange thought no one would recognize her and she could just wonder around observing? Welcome to apple fandom, first person in : selfie?
    racerhomiecali
  • Reply 2 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Damn, I totally forgot about this opening, I had originally planned to drop by and snag a shirt.

Apple is going to have to open up another brand new Apple store in the area, because I forgot about this opening, and I would like to get one of those exclusive Apple T-shirts that they hand out at store openings. I don't have a single Apple T-shirt from an opening, and I would like one.

I probably wont have to wait that long, as Apple stores seem to be popping up everywhere.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 3 of 16
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Aside from the potential goodie bag or t-shirt, I don't really get why "fans" line up at Apple Store openings anymore (except perhaps in places that never had an Apple store before).   What's so special?  It's not like there's opening day special discounts or substantial door prizes.   It's another store with parsons tables and lighted wall cabinets and wooden shelves (and probably a concrete floor).  

I know there's something like 125 stores in this new mall, but I bet the rents are quite high and I really wonder how well those stores can do.  Most commuters are rushing to or from their trains.   I can't see people doing a lot of buying down there.  AFAIK, the original WTC mall stores didn't do very well (aside from coffee shops and the like) and that's when there were twin towers.  Far fewer people down there now.    

• Reply 4 of 16
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    apple ][ said:
    Damn, I totally forgot about this opening, I had originally planned to drop by and snag a shirt.

Apple is going to have to open up another brand new Apple store in the area, because I forgot about this opening, and I would like to get one of those exclusive Apple T-shirts that they hand out at store openings. I don't have a single Apple T-shirt from an opening, and I would like one.

I probably wont have to wait that long, as Apple stores seem to be popping up everywhere.
    eBay is your friend, for when your memory is having a Trump moment.
    calidjames4242
  • Reply 5 of 16
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    The store is in the the "Oculus"
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/6/11168484/inside-the-oculus-new-yorks-insane-looking-4-billion-train-station
    which is easily one of the coolest structures in NYC. 

docno42
  • Reply 6 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    cnocbui said:
    apple ][ said:

Yeah, I've seen a few t shirts that are being sold at places like Ebay.

I would prefer to get one because I was actually there in person, and not just bought it from some random person online.

As for having a Trump moment, rumor has it that Hillary may have parkinson's, very serious. There's a mysterious handler always close to her, holding some sort of medical device or a shot in their hands, ready to be used at a moments notice.
    potatoleeksoupSpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 16
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    I'll make my way either tomorrow after work, or on Friday when I'm free. I still hate the Oculus. It's a pretentious, wasteful expenditure by the MTA. All that money should have been spent on infrastructure that is in extremely poor shape.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Apple needs to go back to focussing on customer experience rather than worry about the decor. 
    The local Apple store here in Toronto is just the worst. 

All the Apple employees either helping at Genius Bar (or whatever they call it now) or huddled in the back area.
    Meanwhile only two or three to be seen on the floor answering or helping customers.
    None of the iPad Pros worked with the Pencil...so at least 5 groups of customers left frustrated.
    I finally waved an employee over and he showed me that you had to pair it up by plugging it into the lightning port.

It feels like the old days when Apple computers in Sears stores left to customers to figure out.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 9 of 16
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    satchmo said:
    Apple needs to go back to focussing on customer experience rather than worry about the decor. 
    The local Apple store here in Toronto is just the worst. 

All the Apple employees either helping at Genius Bar (or whatever they call it now) or huddled in the back area.
    Meanwhile only two or three to be seen on the floor answering or helping customers.
    None of the iPad Pros worked with the Pencil...so at least 5 groups of customers left frustrated.
    I finally waved an employee over and he showed me that you had to pair it up by plugging it into the lightning port.

It feels like the old days when Apple computers in Sears stores left to customers to figure out.
    I've never had any problems remotely like that at an Apple Store and I travel a fair bit. so I doubt Apple needs to restructure itself the way you're suggesting. 
  • Reply 10 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I realize her responsibilities at the retail level are enormous, but she has managed to keep a remarkably low profile for a person who left as CEO of Burberry to take her current position.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    apple ][ said:
    cnocbui said:

I would prefer to get one because I was actually there in person, and not just bought it from some random person online.

As for having a Trump moment, rumor has it that Hillary may have parkinson's, very serious. There's a mysterious handler always close to her, holding some sort of medical device or a shot in their hands, ready to be used at a moments notice.
    There's something funny with her. I think the YouTube clips here speak for themselves: http://www.dangerandplay.com/2016/08/06/hillary-clinton-stroke-seizure-coughing-fits/
    apple ][
  • Reply 12 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    apple ][ said:
    cnocbui said:

Living with Bill Clinton made her the person she is today.
    apple ][entropys
  • Reply 13 of 16
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    cnocbui said:
    apple ][ said:

You shouldn't carry your garbage through here in a leaky bag.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    apple ][ said:

There's something funny with her. I think the YouTube clips here speak for themselves: http://www.dangerandplay.com/2016/08/06/hillary-clinton-stroke-seizure-coughing-fits/

Give me a break bud.
    Considering the demented "doctor's letter" (sic)  Trump produced
    and the almost drugged out way Trump goes on day after day manic to sedated, right wing conspiracies are a hoot.

My father's had parkinson for a decade so I know everyone talking about it is full of shit.
    ronn
  • Reply 15 of 16
    ronn said:
    I'll make my way either tomorrow after work, or on Friday when I'm free. I still hate the Oculus. It's a pretentious, wasteful expenditure by the MTA. All that money should have been spent on infrastructure that is in extremely poor shape.
    The WTC Hub is the Port Authority, not the MTA. In addition, the $4 billion figure gets thrown around as the cost of the architecture, which is false; a large percentage of that amount went toward infrastructure utilized by the entire WTC site and includes costs for the mall, for which Westfield is paying the Port Authority rent.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    eatrains said:

The WTC Hub is the Port Authority, not the MTA. In addition, the $4 billion figure gets thrown around as the cost of the architecture, which is false; a large percentage of that amount went toward infrastructure utilized by the entire WTC site and includes costs for the mall, for which Westfield is paying the Port Authority rent.
    I constantly mix up the two agencies. However, the FTA gave nearly $2 billion to the project and the final costs nearly doubled and finished several years late. With the nearby Fulton Center costing well over $1 billion, the 2nd Avenue line years away from completion and other parts of the vastly overcrowded subway system in a sad state of disrepair, that money could've and should've been used elsewhere instead of this boondoggle. A perfect example of "form over function."