Microsoft ad says Apple's iPad Pro Smart Keyboard doesn't make it a real computer

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I don't own an iPad Pro keyboard. For those that do, how frequently are you touching the screen while using the keyboard?
  • Reply 22 of 81
    The word "computer" is from stone ages.... Not surprising from Microsoft

Computers have been replaced by tablets many years ago. Most people don't need to use "computers" anymore like they did before the tablets.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    bdkennedy said:
    Apple deserves this. That Apple ad was embarrassing to watch.

It's not ok to be a fridge/toaster until it's ok to be a fridge toaster. Right, Tim?
    you seem to misunderstand his metaphor. it isn't about doing more work on a tablet with a keyboard (remember, the original iPad had a keyboard accessory from Day 1, I had it). it's about trying to force an entire desktop OS onto a touch oriented mobile tablet. 

First of all, the original Apple keyboard was removed close to a year after it's release.  So it looks like it didn't succeed or at the time SJ decided it wasn't the best thing because of ergonomics,

http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-jobs-touch-screen-mac-2010-10

And the Cook comparison of the SP4 and the fridge/toaster was clear, 2 in 1 devices aren't good.  My question is, how good is an iPad Pro as a desktop replacement?  Isn't a SP4 a better option for desktop/laptop tasks?  You say that MS force a desktop OS in a mobile tablet.  But isn't Apple forcing a mobile OS as a desktop replacement? 
    big
  • Reply 24 of 81
    Well, does a Surface running Windows 10 really make it a "Tablet"?
    cali
  • Reply 25 of 81
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    sog35 said:
    bdkennedy said:
    Apple deserves this. That Apple ad was embarrassing to watch.

It's not ok to be a fridge/toaster until it's ok to be a fridge toaster. Right, Tim?
    dude get real.

iPads had keyboards since forever. Its not about having a keyboard that makes the Surface a fridge toaster.

its about having a desktop OS stuffed into a tablet. 

And what about Apple pushing iPad Pro as a desktop replacement?  Is that a good idea?
  • Reply 26 of 81
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    The iPad Pro's totally rock and will gradually take over computing from traditional desktops.

SylvainL said:

Computers have been replaced by tablets many years ago. Most people don't need to use "computers" anymore like they did before the tablets.

You guys are funny!

Scientists and Engineers at NASA (edited)

Your turn.
    edited August 2016 dirkerRoger_Fingascalibaconstangsingularitybig
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Running a full version of Windows is not exactly something to gloat over.
    LOL. My thoughts too. Nor is running antivirus scans, fixing Windows registry problems, and cleaning junk in your C: drive. I don't miss the "full PC experience."
    calialbegarcpscooter63baconstangbig
  • Reply 28 of 81
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    cnocbui said:
    The iPad Pro's totally rock and will gradually take over computing from traditional desktops.

You guys are funny!

Scientists and Engineers at CERN
    And what percentage of the overall population are scientists & engineers again?
    albegarcjustadcomics
  • Reply 29 of 81
    auxio said:
    cnocbui said:
    You guys are funny!

And what percentage of the overall population are scientists & engineers again?
    My ex, my sister in law, my sister, neural-network academic down the road...

The percentage that matters.
    edited August 2016 baconstangsingularitybig
  • Reply 30 of 81
    cnocbui said:

You guys are funny!

Your turn.
    Looks like the picture was taken at NASA's JPL facility in Pasadena.  In the back of the picture is a NASA logo.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    Fuck this godamn "real" computer shit, it's a childish way to divide the population into two groups: the superior people (which *always* happens to be the one *you* are in, how convenient right?, is those who use "real" computers) and the inferior ones (everyone else, those who use "toys"). It's a stupid fucking willy waving contest, just stop it, it's beyond childish and so totally tribal and Manichean, you should all laugh at anyone that tries to make such a stupid characterisation.

You are never superior for the device you use or prefer, neither are you inferior, it's horses for courses and my choice is mine and yours is yours, and what works best for the person who uses it is the best one, whether you call it a fucking computer or a device or a tablet, it's just a name and this game is like children on a playground hurling insults at each other.

It's like watching a bunch of children argue whether a pencil or a pen is the best note taking tool.

Grow the fuck up.
    edited August 2016 kiltedgreenbaconstangbig
  • Reply 32 of 81
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    News Flash MS:

iPads have had keyboards for YEARS! The iPad Pro is just a Pro version of an iPad.
    edited August 2016 williamlondonjustadcomicsbig
  • Reply 33 of 81
    cali said:
    News Flash MS:

iPads have had keyboards for YEARS! The iPad Pro is just a Pro version of an iPad.
    There was a keyboard announced when the first iPad was shown. Made by Apple too.

MS thinks they invented the keyboard.

Also remember when they showed off the first Syrface, they hyped the keyboard more than the Surface itself.
    williamlondonalbegarcjustadcomicsbig
  • Reply 34 of 81
     Apple should run the same type of ad but running the surface pro focusing on the "sleep of death" where the surface pro can't wake up where Siri keeps asking "what's wrong? wake up! what's wrong?"

Surface Pro 4: Sleep of death
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05/27/sleep_of_death_windows_10/
    edited August 2016 albegarcjustadcomicsbaconstangbig
  • Reply 35 of 81
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    evilution said:
    Of course the iPad isn't a computer. That's the point, that's why it sells.
    The surface may be more of a computer but it's still a shit one so why compromise?
    Why not have a decent tablet and a proper computer?
    You are absolutely right.  But it is Apple who markets the iPad Pro as a PC replacement.  An iPad is a great tablet, but it lacks some really needed functionality to be make an iPad only a viable option in a business environment. 
    I travel a lot abroad and iPad becomes a helpless device, if there is no affordable Internet connection available. Apple does not allow to sync all your data with your iPad in a convenient way and to continue to work in an offline mode.   While on a Mac, this is a piece of cake
    The lack of an USB port is another weak point.  I live in a country where for any official communication with the authorities a user is identified by his identity card, connected via a USB chip card reader.
    baconstangbig
  • Reply 36 of 81
    macseeker said:
    cnocbui said:

You guys are funny!

Your turn.
    Looks like the picture was taken at NASA's JPL facility in Pasadena.  In the back of the picture is a NASA logo.
    Whoops, you are right

This one is CERN (I think) at the press announcement of the Higgs-boson discovery - other shots of the room just show how popular real computers are (Macbook Pros) with this crowd, and not a computer-lite in sight.

baconstangbig
  • Reply 37 of 81
    SylvainL said:

Very cute.  but Apple is the one that started using the word "computer" with their tablet.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Apple is merely suggesting to a certain element of the population to consider that perhaps an iPad is all they need. If they were certain it was all that anyone needs, they would discontinue the Mac tomorrow. As far as the Surface, it's not a great tablet and not a great laptop, but if you really need both in one device it might be right for you.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    SylvainL said:

Very cute.  but Apple is the one that started using the word "computer" with their tablet.
    Yeah, this is absolutely embarrassing for Apple. They should have never gone down this particular marketing route. All it does is beg the consumer to compare the two devices, in which case, right or wrong, the Surface is likely to win.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    mac_128 said:
    Yeah, this is absolutely embarrassing for Apple. They should have never gone down this particular marketing route. All it does is beg the consumer to compare the two devices, in which case, right or wrong, the Surface is likely to win.
    You won't give up on this one, will you? That's 3 times I've seen you attack Apple with this ad, and those are only the ones I've seen in the treads I've viewed. Give it a rest, will ya?!
    kevin keebig