Ford targeting 2021 launch for self-driving car, potentially going head to head with Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    I would think of self-fueling and self maintaining first. Driving is a pleasure - not menace. If I want self-driving car I will take bus.
    For the vast majority of people driving is a chore, not a pleasure.
    doozydozennolamacguy
  • Reply 22 of 37

lkrupp said:
    Ride sharing and ride hailing? Talk to any cab driver or Uber driver about what goes on in the back seat. Now imagine a driverless cab with no supervision. Unless there are continually monitored security cameras inside these vehicles I predict epic fail. Would you get into one when the last fare took a dump on the floor?
    Talk to any cab driver or Uber driver and they will tell you that this sort of behaviour is extremely rare.  Still, you have a point.  The concept of personal transportation is deeply ingrained in most people.  Ford is going to have trouble overcoming that.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 37
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Not sure where they are going to sell it. In the few locations where test care are allowed, they require humans as backup.  It is past the halfway point in 2016, so 2021 is just over 4 years away. Don't know about everyone else, but in my experience government doesn't move too quickly. 

I believe autonomous cars will eventually get there, but not at the pace everyone here seems to think. 
  • Reply 24 of 37
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    I wish these car companies would build not autonomous cars for individual hailing, but instead intelligent mini-buses that adjust their routes for optimal efficiency and utilisation. That would really have an impact on congestion. No one needs more cars on the road, we need less..
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Yeah, "self-driving"…but with the Catch-22 that the companies manufacturing them will ask the government for all kinds of legal and infrastructure changes to help their vehicles "self-drive".
  • Reply 26 of 37
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    My guess is that we will see self-driving trucks first. I can see a large trucking firm building depots along the interstates. There' a lotta open space out there, and not just in the US. There's a YUGE savings in just driver salaries.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Maybe Ford’s self-driving HDTV will go head to head with Apple’s, too.
    "OK, I'm off. I'm driving the HDTV to work today..."
    tallest skil
  • Reply 29 of 37
    eightzero said:
    My guess is that we will see self-driving trucks first. I can see a large trucking firm building depots along the interstates. There' a lotta open space out there, and not just in the US. There's a YUGE savings in just driver salaries.
    You are aware Tesla is now planning to make self-driving trucks?
  • Reply 30 of 37
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    eightzero said:
    I am now. Thanks. I assume they are electric?
  • Reply 31 of 37
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    I would think of self-fueling and self maintaining first. Driving is a pleasure - not menace. If I want self-driving car I will take bus.
    when I'm drinking, or catching a ride home or calling a cab for any reason I don't care about driving. 
  • Reply 32 of 37
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

lkrupp said:
    Ride sharing and ride hailing? Talk to any cab driver or Uber driver about what goes on in the back seat. Now imagine a driverless cab with no supervision. Unless there are continually monitored security cameras inside these vehicles I predict epic fail. Would you get into one when the last fare took a dump on the floor?
    the disincentive to shitting on the floor will be the hundreds of dollars charged to your card and red flag on your account. just like today. 
    palomine
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Has a Ford driven you lately?
    palomine
  • Reply 34 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    "OK, I'm off. I'm driving the HDTV to work today..."

Race you there, dude!

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 35 of 37
    eightzero said:
    I am now. Thanks. I assume they are electric?
    You bet they are!  ;)  

This is directly from their new 10-year master plan:

https://www.tesla.com/blog/master-plan-part-deux

In addition to consumer vehicles, there are two other types of electric vehicle needed: heavy-duty trucks and high passenger-density urban transport. Both are in the early stages of development at Tesla and should be ready for unveiling next year. We believe the Tesla Semi will deliver a substantial reduction in the cost of cargo transport, while increasing safety and making it really fun to operate.

• Reply 36 of 37

Has a Ford driven you lately?
    I almost got Ford stock in 2008 right as the market collapsed. I had a large order in for their stock at something like $1.50 and the stock never quite fell that low. Would've been a fantastic buy. I respected them for not taking bailout funds from our massively corrupted government.
    edited August 2016