Apple to debut 10.5" iPad Pro in 2017, integrate flexible AMOLED tech in 2018

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    wozwoz said:
    Not really interested in any of this. Who cares? Slightly bigger, smaller.

How about a new Mac Pro ... now you have my attention! Only 3 years and counting between serves
    Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they went back to a slightly more compact version of the "cheese grater" design if it meant more frequent updates and greater customizability. The trash can design was a real cock-up.
    I think they could have more frequent updates and greater customizability with the trash can design. Three things that occur to me:

1. Offere a dual CPU, single GPU option 
    2. Include more slots for adding more SSDs later
    3. Provide first-party (that is, Apple-branded) thunderbolt expansion options for both PCI cards and external fusion drives. 

Having said that -- I'm also totally fine with going back to the classic tower design, too. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 62 of 71
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    blastdoor said:
    It has been 455 days since the MacBook Pro was released. It uses a 22nm Haswell CPU from Intel. Apple has bypassed the 14nm Broadwell chips entirely. The die shrink to 14 nm reduced power consumption which is clearly beneficial in a laptop. Apple should have been capable of bringing to market a Broadwell-based MacBook Pro with the additional rumored improvements (TouchID, touch-OLED function keys) at least 6 months ago (appropriate Broadwell chips became available in June of 2015). 

This situation cannot be easily explained away. 
    Big deal. They made plenty of other improvements to the 2015 model and didn't go with Broadwell for whatever reasons that you'll never fully know. Intel's delays? Maybe. But we're talking about a very small speed bump they missed out on, and most users would never notice the difference. It was a stopgap model before the upcoming redesign and we'll all forget about it shortly. The complaining is off the charts over this "missed" processor bump.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 63 of 71
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    Well if true, I bet the iPad mini is on its way out. The 9.7" will replace the the mini and the 10.5" will replace the 9.7" iPad's place. The mini isn't really necessary anymore anyways. Its not much larger than the 6/6S Plus. 
    I agree 100% with this.  The iPad Mini was a mistake from the beginning. All it did was 'cheapen' the ipad line. 

I did not know the iPadMini and iPadAir2 are the EXACT same price. LOL. So basically you get no discount for getting the smaller ipad. Seems like Apple really wants to get away from the iPad MIni

I really like the iPad mini size.

I don't see how it cheapens the line if it costs the same as the iPad Air 2.

Plus folks have been predicting the demise of the iPod Touch for a while now too.  It's quietly updated a bit behind the iPhones and lives on.  I hope it gets upgraded to 2GB RAM in the next iteration.
    williamlondonharry wild
  • Reply 64 of 71
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    ireland said:
    I'd like to see the flexible AMOLED product elaborated upon. Right now it makes no sense.

And love how people want their product and they want it now. Real R&D takes time, people. Apple began touch-screen research in 2001 and released iPhone in mid-2007. That's 6 years. If there were no leaks from Asia, which is impossible now given Apple's size, no one would know about 2017-2018. Only difference is now we have some predictions. As for now let's wait and see what happens this year—I already have seen a few people call the 9.7" iPad Pro the best product Apple has ever made. Not bad to tide you over until an imagined future.
    Also, if Apple had never released iPhone in mid-2007, there would be highly unlikely a Samsung Edge, Samsung Note, or any other Android phone or tablet the way they designed to look right now. People asking why Apple bother to make lawsuits against Samsung, it's just design, it's just square with glass, Apple is so pathetic and narrow minded. Well, the real reason is because 6 years of hard work RnD was stolen in one night. Samsung or any other Chinese smartphone makers did not need 6 years of blood and sweats to come out with their devices. Everything was spooned feed directly from Apple, and still dare to complain it is Apple who copied them.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    tmay said:
    macxpress said:
    Well if true, I bet the iPad mini is on its way out. The 9.7" will replace the the mini and the 10.5" will replace the 9.7" iPad's place. The mini isn't really necessary anymore anyways. Its not much larger than the 6/6S Plus. 
    Parent's who buy iPad Mini's for children not deemed old enough for iPhones. Some people buy these as readers.

Apple isn't going to get rid of the iPad Mini anytime soon.
    If the price of the iPad Air 2 drops to the price of the iPad mini Retina then consumers would just buy that. I don't see any reason what so ever for the iPad mini to exist anymore. I don't think you'll see an iPad mini past next year if this rumor pans out. That would put too many models in the iPad lineup. You don't make more iPad sales by offering 50 different models of basically the same thing. This is one of the things that got Apple in trouble with the Macintosh Performa lineup back in the early 90's. Too many models with very little differences. 
  • Reply 66 of 71

apple ][ said:
    macxpress said:
    That would be an idiotic, colossal mistake, if that were true.

Many people love the mini size.

I know somebody who uses both an iPhone 6S+ and the iPad Mini 4, and they like both.

At the moment, I'm still using my iPad Air 2 9.7", but I am probably getting a 12.9" iPad Pro, when it comes out later this year.

So because you know one person that uses both this means the entire market is for this? :/
  • Reply 67 of 71
    macxpress said:

apple ][ said:
    That would be an idiotic, colossal mistake, if that were true.

Many people love the mini size.

I know somebody who uses both an iPhone 6S+ and the iPad Mini 4, and they like both.

At the moment, I'm still using my iPad Air 2 9.7", but I am probably getting a 12.9" iPad Pro, when it comes out later this year.

So because you know one person that uses both this means the entire market is for this? :/
    Or equally, because *you* don't personally like the mini (as SOG rails ad nauseum) it should be killed.

People really get all worked up about a product they don't like, as if they have a right to personal offence because a product exists when they think it shouldn't, and the people who buy it aren't entitled to enjoy it. Talk about entitlement.
    smalm
  • Reply 68 of 71
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    With a dearth of new models launching in the second half of 2016, and increased competition from Chromebook in the education market, Kuo cut fiscal 2016 iPad shipment estimates from 45-50 million to 35-40 million units.
    Apple already sold 36,3 million iPads in FY2016. So Kuo expects Apple to sell up to 3,7 million iPads or up to 1.3 milliom customers giving their iPad back.
    Yeah sure...
  • Reply 69 of 71
    macxpress said:

Or equally, because *you* don't personally like the mini (as SOG rails ad nauseum) it should be killed.

People really get all worked up about a product they don't like, as if they have a right to personal offence because a product exists when they think it shouldn't, and the people who buy it aren't entitled to enjoy it. Talk about entitlement.
    I never said I don't like the mini...I just said it no longer needs exist. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 70 of 71
    macxpress said:
    tmay said:
    macxpress said:
    Parent's who buy iPad Mini's for children not deemed old enough for iPhones. Some people buy these as readers.

Apple isn't going to get rid of the iPad Mini anytime soon.
    If the price of the iPad Air 2 drops to the price of the iPad mini Retina then consumers would just buy that. I don't see any reason what so ever for the iPad mini to exist anymore. I don't think you'll see an iPad mini past next year if this rumor pans out. That would put too many models in the iPad lineup. You don't make more iPad sales by offering 50 different models of basically the same thing. This is one of the things that got Apple in trouble with the Macintosh Performa lineup back in the early 90's. Too many models with very little differences. 
    Many people like the Mini form factor!  Just like many people like the 4", 4.4" iPhones vs. 5.5" model!