'iPhone 7' expected to continue Apple's normal naming conventions, no 'Pro' model

Posted:
in iPhone
This September's expected debut of the iPhone won't see a change in Apple's existing naming patterns, with a recent report denying the existence of the "iPhone 7 Pro," and declaring that the new models will simply be called the "iPhone 7" and "iPhone 7 Plus."

The Macotakara report cites a "reliable information source" that it has used in the past. The same sources were used to correctly identify the iPhone 5c as a successor of sorts to the iPhone 5s, as well as Apple utilizing the iPhone SE name instead of any of the many variants that were postulated leading up to the March release.

Wednesday's discussion about the iPhone's naming also claimed that the new model will have a Force Touch "capacitive home button" but it is unclear if this is new information, or a reiteration of a previous report.

Whatever the new model is called, the new family of iPhones is expected to be revealed and ship in September. Sizing is similar to the iPhone 6 family of devices, in 4.7- and 5.5-inch screen sizes.

Both models are said to have a default 32GB of base storage. The "iPhone 7 Plus" is rumored to have a dual-lens camera, and 3GB of application RAM.

Repeated reports also point to the absence of the legacy analog headphone jack that Apple has been supporting for three decades.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    We still don't know, for certain, that there will be just one 5.5" model. If there is, there would be no reason to have a "Pro" designation. But, if indeed, there are two 5.5" models, one with a dual lens setup, and perhaps other features, then it's necessary for Apple to distinguish those models, and yes, we might then see that "Pro" label.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Given how similar the design looks to the 6/6s I think it is a mistake from a PR-standpoint to call this iPhone 7. Apple should know better. 
  • Reply 3 of 44
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    ireland said:
    Given how similar the design looks to the 6/6s I think it is a mistake from a PR-standpoint to call this iPhone 7. Apple should know better. 
    Given that the fact that "design similarity" matters fuck all to actual sales, of course they are going to call it iPhone 7.

From a PR standpoint it would be a fucking disaster to not call it iPhone 7. It would embolden the idiot media that have trying to detract from the product before it even exists.
    edited August 2016 supadav03patchythepiratebrucemctopper24hoursnolamacguy1983sockrolidjony0Deelron
  • Reply 4 of 44
    This "design similarity" bullshit has got to stop. Apple does not have to dramatically change the look of the iPhone for it to be a new iPhone. Never mind the fact that I see quite a few physical design changes coming, enough that your existing cases won't work.

But hey, it still has fucking ROUNDED EDGES, so its the exact same yawn.

chabigjbishop1039supadav03topper24hoursnolamacguysockrolidjony0anome
  • Reply 5 of 44
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    A 'Pro'-Phone would simply be a silly naming convention. For whom could that be? Secretaries? Stock Brokers? Pokemon go Players?
    edited August 2016 1983
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Question is what Apple will do with all the power of A10 besides video and picture processing. 4K slow motion or super HD slow motion and instant HDR? iOS 10 does not suggest anything and augmented reality will come later I guess.
    sockrolid
  • Reply 7 of 44
    frantisek said:
    Question is what Apple will do with all the power of A10 besides video and picture processing. 4K slow motion or super HD slow motion and instant HDR? iOS 10 does not suggest anything and augmented reality will come later I guess.
    Come later how? AR has been possible since the first day Apple granted developers access to the camera for their Apps. It has taken years for any product to employ it and be successful.

Tim Cook doesn't speak plainly, unfortunately. What he was trying to say about AR is, if any developer can actually turn out an App that people want, that works, that uses AR, then AR has value. Nintendo proves that it can be interesting, if done right.
    1983jony0
  • Reply 8 of 44
    TurboPGT said:
    ireland said:
    Given that the fact that "design similarity" matters fuck all to actual sales, of course they are going to call it iPhone 7.

From a PR standpoint it would be a fucking disaster to not call it iPhone 7. It would embolden the idiot media that have trying to detract from the product before it even exists.
    Apple's sales have fallen this year. So I am not sure of your categorical view that it ".. matters fuck all to actual sales."
    edited August 2016 gatorguywilliamlondonthewhitefalcon
  • Reply 9 of 44
    TurboPGT said:

Apple's sales have fallen this year. So I am not sure of your categorical view that it ".. matters fuck all to actual sales."
    That's a pretty horrid analysis of the state of things.
    topper24hoursnolamacguyjony0
  • Reply 10 of 44
    If this is true the iPhone 7 designation what does next year's become? If there is a 10 year phone with significant new features do they skip the S designation and go right to 8 or does the S model become the tick instead of the tock?
  • Reply 11 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    macapfel said:
    A 'Pro'-Phone would simply be a silly naming convention. For whom could that be? Secretaries? Stock Brokers? Pokemon go Players?
    I agree, hopefully no iPhone Air either ....  wait that might just work ...   ;)
  • Reply 12 of 44
    TurboPGT said:
    In what way? Do you have an explanation or context for things you say (based on what you've said above), or do you simply put down whatever bombastic, stream-of-consciousness blather that comes to your mind?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 44
    TurboPGT said:
    ireland said:

iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS...

It would not be out of character for them to simply call it the iPhone 6GS...

Perhaps you should step back and calm down. 
  • Reply 14 of 44
    TurboPGT said:

iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS...

There is no way to respond to this. If you believe this statement, we can't possibly discuss this.

iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5s
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6s
    iPhone ?

I'll give you one guess what comes next, and you can't use 6, G, or S, or E.

Perhaps you should step back and recalibrate your brain, which has been contaminated by junk media reporting. The entire idea that the iPhone has to look very different this generation to be considered new, and not iterative as a product on the whole, is an embarrassment to the people who have said it.
    patchythepiratenolamacguy
  • Reply 15 of 44

TurboPGT said:
    In what way? Do you have an explanation or context for things you say (based on what you've said above), or do you simply put down whatever bombastic, stream-of-consciousness blather that comes to your mind?
    Is this a joke? You reduce the entire complexity of sales and growth to "how the iPhone looks", and you want more detail from me? LOL
    waverboynolamacguy
  • Reply 16 of 44
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    TurboPGT said:
    This "design similarity" bullshit has got to stop. Apple does not have to dramatically change the look of the iPhone for it to be a new iPhone. Never mind the fact that I see quite a few physical design changes coming, enough that your existing cases won't work.

I understand the frustration that most who post here about this new iPhone. However there are many new enhancements to the iPhone 7 and particularly to the 7 Plus.

One thing most of you forget is that 2017 will be the 10th anniversary of the iPhone. Why wouldn't Apple wait until then to introduce a revolutionary new design for the iPhone? Jobs announced the original at WWDC in 2007. Will Apple introduce the new iPhone then? Who knows. Common sense will be that a completely new designed iPhone will be introduced sometime in 2017. So put your brains back in order and QUIT YOUR BITCHIN!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 44
    TurboPGT said:
    iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS...

There is no way to respond to this. If you believe this statement, we can't possibly discuss this.

iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5s
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6s
    iPhone ?

I'll give you one guess what comes next, and you can't use 6, G, or S, or E.

Perhaps you should step back and recalibrate your brain, which has been contaminated by junk media reporting. The entire idea that the iPhone has to look very different this generation to be considered new, and not iterative as a product on the whole, is an embarrassment to the people who have said it.
    It makes sense that this iPhone will be named 7 and 7 Plus. Next year is the 10th anniversary of the iPhone. Apple is most likely holding a complete redesign for that model. It wouldn't make sense to introduce it this fall. At that time Apple will probably introduce a new naming convention. Jobs introduced the original iPhone at MacWorld in 2007. I speculate that at MacWorld 2017 a special version will be introduced that will be a limited edition "Anniversary Edition" with the regular version available in September. The theater at the new spaceship headquarters will be made available for the event as a tribute to Jobs who also designed and worked hard to get the building approved.

Of course that's all speculation on my part but if they put me in charge of marketing that's what would happen! ;-)
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 18 of 44
    I understand the frustration that most who post here about this new iPhone. However there are many new enhancements to the iPhone 7 and particularly to the 7 Plus.

One thing most of you forget is that 2017 will be the 10th anniversary of the iPhone. Why wouldn't Apple wait until then to introduce a revolutionary new design for the iPhone? Jobs announced the original at WWDC in 2007. Will Apple introduce the new iPhone then? Who knows. Common sense will be that a completely new designed iPhone will be introduced sometime in 2017. So put your brains back in order and QUIT YOUR BITCHIN!

I apologize. Jobs announced the iPhone at MacWorld, not WWDC.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    TurboPGT said:
    Ooooh, I have an explanation!!!!
    and it is based on REALITY. Not your pompous, pseudo intellectual, demeaning without a reason snideness...
    you see- there was only small phone options on iOS prior to iPhone 6; creating pent up demand. Thus, sales were abnormally high, due to a "supercycle" if you will- that is to say: instead of the standard "2 year upgrades", we had a HUGE amount of 5S users upgrading for the 1st time after only one cycle. 
    Sooooo.... since 6S did NOT introduce a new size, there was less enticement. Thus, a drop in sales year over year.
    This makes logical sense... people wanted the 6 because it WAS different (fundamentally... it was quantifiably larger), not because it "looked" different. The general consensus is 4/5 look better than 6, with the squared off edges & glass, then the chamfering. 
    Your claim of people wanting things solely because they "look different" is the silly & baseless argument here.
    nolamacguymike1
  • Reply 20 of 44
    mnbob1 said:
    TurboPGT said:

It will also get things back on a 2 year upgrade track that got "broken" with the iPhone 6 supercycle. I feel like the people that got a six may wait three years this time; then jump on the 2017 iPhone!