'iPhone 7' expected to continue Apple's normal naming conventions, no 'Pro' model

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    TurboPGT said:
    Given that the fact that "design similarity" matters fuck all to actual sales, of course they are going to call it iPhone 7.

From a PR standpoint it would be a fucking disaster to not call it iPhone 7. It would embolden the idiot media that have trying to detract from the product before it even exists.
    Apple's sales have fallen this year. So I am not sure of your categorical view that it ".. matters fuck all to actual sales."
    compared to the year large iPhones were introduced, yes. compared to years prior it's a nice incline. old news. 

get back to us next year. 

edited August 2016 topper24hourskevin kee
  • Reply 22 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    frantisek said:
    Question is what Apple will do with all the power of A10 besides video and picture processing. 4K slow motion or super HD slow motion and instant HDR? iOS 10 does not suggest anything and augmented reality will come later I guess.
    I've had AR apps for years on my phones. Really, it's nothing new. The only thing that's new is the extent to which new AR takes over. There are also a number of 3D apps. None of this requires anything special from iOS.

thats not to mean that APIs developed to make it easier won't help. Of course they will. But it's nothing radical.
  • Reply 23 of 44

TurboPGT said:
    frantisek said:
    Question is what Apple will do with all the power of A10 besides video and picture processing. 4K slow motion or super HD slow motion and instant HDR? iOS 10 does not suggest anything and augmented reality will come later I guess.
    Come later how? AR has been possible since the first day Apple granted developers access to the camera for their Apps. It has taken years for any product to employ it and be successful.

Tim Cook doesn't speak plainly, unfortunately. What he was trying to say about AR is, if any developer can actually turn out an App that people want, that works, that uses AR, then AR has value. Nintendo proves that it can be interesting, if done right.
    What Nintendo has "proven" is that it's almost useless for most things. The intent of the 3DS, as a beginning to all of this, was to have 3D be a major part of the game experience. That's the beginning of AR, really. It didn't work out.

the headset, which is "real" AR, is just being manufactured by Nintendo, they have almost nothing to do with the hardware developments, or software. That can be made by any other manufacturer.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 24 of 44
    If this is true the iPhone 7 designation what does next year's become? If there is a 10 year phone with significant new features do they skip the S designation and go right to 8 or does the S model become the tick instead of the tock?
    Jeeze! Is this really important enough a subject to get involved in? I doubt if the vast majority of buyers care anything about what Apple calls it. For years, we had a stupid argument going about what a "generation" meant when talking about iPhones. Was it every year, or was it when Apple made a major case and screen change?

guys, it really doesn't matter. People buy phones because their contract comes up, or it's two years, or they think a new feature of two is worth it, or they've got enough money that year, etc.
    nolamacguytopper24hours
  • Reply 25 of 44
    In what way? Do you have an explanation or context for things you say (based on what you've said above), or do you simply put down whatever bombastic, stream-of-consciousness blather that comes to your mind?
    Ooooh, I have an explanation!!!!
    and it is based on REALITY. Not your pompous, pseudo intellectual, demeaning without a reason snideness...
    you see- there was only small phone options on iOS prior to iPhone 6; creating pent up demand. Thus, sales were abnormally high, due to a "supercycle" if you will- that is to say: instead of the standard "2 year upgrades", we had a HUGE amount of 5S users upgrading for the 1st time after only one cycle. 
    Sooooo.... since 6S did NOT introduce a new size, there was less enticement. Thus, a drop in sales year over year.
    This makes logical sense... people wanted the 6 because it WAS different (fundamentally... it was quantifiably larger), not because it "looked" different. The general consensus is 4/5 look better than 6, with the squared off edges & glass, then the chamfering. 
    Your claim of people wanting things solely because they "look different" is the silly & baseless argument here.
    The trouble with this post -- and from that other guy, not to mention @nolamacguy* etc. -- is that it's a combination of made-up narrative and confused, contradictory facts. For example, "the general consensus is 4/5 look better...". Really? Did you just make it up or can you back it up? "Your claim of people waiting things because they look different..."? I made no such claim. (I really cannot help you with your reading comprehension skills, I am afraid; I simply said that the previous guy making a categorical statement about "looks" and sales does not stand up to scrutiny). Further, you refer to attributes such as "only small,", ""squared off edges", "glass", "chamfering", "size" and say that has nothing to do with a device "looking different"? If size, shape, material, finish are not key attributes of "looks", what is? Hello?

'Pompous', indeed. Go look in the mirror, and think a bit before you write.

*Re. @nolamacguy and the similar la-la-land narrative, I can make similar claims about all sort of factors too. E.g., China took off, then fell off; competition fell off, then caught up; the dollar had depreciated n 2015-15, then appreciated. In other words, a graph and a wild claim do not causation make.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Apple's sales have fallen this year. So I am not sure of your categorical view that it ".. matters fuck all to actual sales."
    compared to the year large iPhones were introduced, yes. compared to years prior it's a nice incline. old news. 

Your story is about as credible as this one:
  • Reply 27 of 44
    TurboPGT said:
    frantisek said:
    Come later how? AR has been possible since the first day Apple granted developers access to the camera for their Apps. It has taken years for any product to employ it and be successful.

Tim Cook doesn't speak plainly, unfortunately. What he was trying to say about AR is, if any developer can actually turn out an App that people want, that works, that uses AR, then AR has value. Nintendo proves that it can be interesting, if done right.
    That is exactly the same I wanted to say. Real wide scale exploration will come later. One game is cool. And I mainly thought Apple exploration in Maps or so.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

more troll nonsense from you, as per usual. 

look, you made a shallow claim -- that sales were down, therefore doom and case design matters. someone called you out on your shallow interpretation. then you basically said "Hey, why are you calling me out?" and then two people tried to explain why your shallow interpretation was very weak. I even provided visuals to try to make it clear. 

so you got pissy. again. 

grow up, son. if you can't handle talk with the big boys, go to MR or something. but leave your petty personal attacks to yourself. 
    edited August 2016 williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 44
    In what way? Do you have an explanation or context for things you say (based on what you've said above), or do you simply put down whatever bombastic, stream-of-consciousness blather that comes to your mind?
    Ooooh, I have an explanation!!!!
    and it is based on REALITY. Not your pompous, pseudo intellectual, demeaning without a reason snideness...
    you see- there was only small phone options on iOS prior to iPhone 6; creating pent up demand. Thus, sales were abnormally high, due to a "supercycle" if you will- that is to say: instead of the standard "2 year upgrades", we had a HUGE amount of 5S users upgrading for the 1st time after only one cycle. 
    Sooooo.... since 6S did NOT introduce a new size, there was less enticement. Thus, a drop in sales year over year.
    This makes logical sense... people wanted the 6 because it WAS different (fundamentally... it was quantifiably larger), not because it "looked" different. The general consensus is 4/5 look better than 6, with the squared off edges & glass, then the chamfering. 
    Your claim of people wanting things solely because they "look different" is the silly & baseless argument here.
    Well, yes, it's been written about ad nausea about the s series as not being bought as much due to the abnormal amount of upgrades the year before due to the larger screen sizes.

my take has been that with that 26% surge in buying the year before, the current year sales growth was taken away completely. And even more, people were waiting for something else that's major. I think that this coming years sales will be ok, but not wonderful. If the rumors about next years phone are somewhat correct, we'll likely see really good sales again in 2018.

meanwhile the SE has sold better than expected. I believe that it will be a big mistake for Apple to ignore it this year, and let it languish. They really need to upgrade it every year as a modern $399 phone, even to finally giving it its own case style. Then, they can sell the years' old model for the mythical $299, and finally make a break in India, and other places that can't even afford a $399 phone, particularly when the price is almost double that after the ridiculous tariffs India and some other third world countries, such as Brazil, add to the pricing.
    anantksundaramtopper24hours
  • Reply 30 of 44

Damn, that's a scary correlation!
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 31 of 44
    more troll nonsense from you, as per usual. 

look, you made a shallow claim -- that sales were down, therefore doom and case design matters. someone called you out on your shallow interpretation. then you basically said "Hey, why are you calling me out?" and then two people tried to explain why your shallow interpretation was very weak. I even provided visuals to try to make it clear. 

so you got pissy. again. 

grow up, son. if you can't handle talk with the big boys, go to MR or something. but leave your petty personal attacks to yourself. 
    Ok, it's time for all of you guys to take a time out on this. I really hate deleting, or modifying posts. I hate giving demerits out even more. But, it's enough.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    If this is true the iPhone 7 designation what does next year's become? If there is a 10 year phone with significant new features do they skip the S designation and go right to 8 or does the S model become the tick instead of the tock?
    Next year's iPhone will most likely be called the 8. The S designation is not carved in stone. If they decide S is not relevant for 2017 they won't use it. If you count all the flagship model iPhones released since 2007, this year's new iPhone should be called the 10... 2007/iPhone 2008/2 2009/3 2010/4 2011/5 2012/6 2013/7 2014/8 2015/9 2016/10.
    edited August 2016 patchythepirate
  • Reply 33 of 44
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    frantisek said:
    True.  There seems to be nothing new in iOS 10 for augmented reality support in apps.

So what will Apple do with all that newfound A10 power?  My guess is that they will do more on-device Siri processing.
    iOS 10 now has SiriKit API for app developers.  Better to do as much local processing as possible to avoid latency.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    melgross said:
    Damn, that's a scary correlation!
    Now overlay those stats with one showing the seismic shift toward a huge aging senior population in the US...
  • Reply 35 of 44
    mnbob1 said:
    TurboPGT said:
    There is no way to respond to this. If you believe this statement, we can't possibly discuss this.

iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5s
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6s
    iPhone ?

I'll give you one guess what comes next, and you can't use 6, G, or S, or E.

Perhaps you should step back and recalibrate your brain, which has been contaminated by junk media reporting. The entire idea that the iPhone has to look very different this generation to be considered new, and not iterative as a product on the whole, is an embarrassment to the people who have said it.
    It makes sense that this iPhone will be named 7 and 7 Plus. Next year is the 10th anniversary of the iPhone. Apple is most likely holding a complete redesign for that model. It wouldn't make sense to introduce it this fall. At that time Apple will probably introduce a new naming convention. Jobs introduced the original iPhone at MacWorld in 2007. I speculate that at MacWorld 2017 a special version will be introduced that will be a limited edition "Anniversary Edition" with the regular version available in September. The theater at the new spaceship headquarters will be made available for the event as a tribute to Jobs who also designed and worked hard to get the building approved.

Of course that's all speculation on my part but if they put me in charge of marketing that's what would happen! ;-)
    Macworld doesn't exist anymore.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    sog35 said:
    Who here is getting the iPhone7 that already owns a 6 or 6s?
    I am, simply because my 6 is wearing out. One of the accelerometers is failing, the earpiece is failing, it's got some backlighting issues...and it's been treated well. Definitely a dud of a phone, but it's not like there's any better options from other makers. I miss my 4.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    sog35 said:
    I will, primarily because my daughter wants the 6s so she'll take mine (in perfect shape). For a replacement then, I might as well get the 7 instead of another 6s. It's not like the price difference will be all that huge.

What I am still not clear about is whether I should consider the 7+. I'll wait to see what the features are.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    mnbob1 said:
    TurboPGT said:
    There is no way to respond to this. If you believe this statement, we can't possibly discuss this.

iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5s
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6s
    iPhone ?

I'll give you one guess what comes next, and you can't use 6, G, or S, or E.

Perhaps you should step back and recalibrate your brain, which has been contaminated by junk media reporting. The entire idea that the iPhone has to look very different this generation to be considered new, and not iterative as a product on the whole, is an embarrassment to the people who have said it.
    It makes sense that this iPhone will be named 7 and 7 Plus. Next year is the 10th anniversary of the iPhone. Apple is most likely holding a complete redesign for that model. It wouldn't make sense to introduce it this fall. At that time Apple will probably introduce a new naming convention. Jobs introduced the original iPhone at MacWorld in 2007. I speculate that at MacWorld 2017 a special version will be introduced that will be a limited edition "Anniversary Edition" with the regular version available in September. The theater at the new spaceship headquarters will be made available for the event as a tribute to Jobs who also designed and worked hard to get the building approved.

Of course that's all speculation on my part but if they put me in charge of marketing that's what would happen! ;-)
    What if they planned to release two versions of the iPhone in the next year, so they could run out the tick-tock of their normal releases and have a fresh one next autumn for the big anniversary. We've seen some phones with the 'S' moniker on it, perhaps those are early editions of the 'S' phone to be released at some point in the next year, but after next month, incorporating perhaps the Smart Connector as we've seen in that model and other nice upgrades. Or perhaps they'll release it as an 'S' next month so we get both normal and 'S' models at the same time. Regardless, I think it's safe to assume that next year's model will be a big one, marking a big change in the phone to align with the 10 year anniversary. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    sog35 said:
    I will, primarily because my daughter wants the 6s so she'll take mine (in perfect shape). For a replacement then, I might as well get the 7 instead of another 6s. It's not like the price difference will be all that huge.

What I am still not clear about is whether I should consider the 7+. I'll wait to see what the features are.
    I'm in the same boat. I figure if it has a camera that is that much better, and extra RAM, I might go ahead and upgrade to it.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    sog35 said:
    I am, simply because my 6 is wearing out. One of the accelerometers is failing, the earpiece is failing, it's got some backlighting issues...and it's been treated well. Definitely a dud of a phone, but it's not like there's any better options from other makers. I miss my 4.
    wow. My 6+ is in perfect condition, even the battery.

would you upgrade if nothing was wrong with your 6?
    I am. My 6 is also in perfect condition, but why wait until it's completely broken to get a new iPhone while I could renew my 2 years contract with new iPhone without extra cents.