Best Third Party Wireless Router

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am looking into getting DSL soon, and I'd love to have wireless internet for my laptops. The only problem is the cost. I can't afford the Airport Basestation. I know a lot of people here use third party stations, and I wondered which you liked. I'd like it to be easy to set up, cheap, and have some 10/100 ports so I can wire my iMac and PC. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Most wireless routers have 10/100 ports for regular ethernet connections to computers. I'm using the Linksys wireless router, and it works fine and is pretty easy to setup. If you're looking for a good price, the Netgear MR814 is at Amazon for $50 after rebate:

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006HYKM/qid=1038116417/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-2536329-1393509?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846"; target="_blank">Netgear MR814 - Amazon</a>

Amazon's prices change frequently, so I don't know how long that will last.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    Thanks. Does anyone know how well that netgear works with macs (since all but one of my computers run OS X)? Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by iDude:

<strong>Thanks. Does anyone know how well that netgear works with macs (since all but one of my computers run OS X)? Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would go with the netgear over the Linksys. I have connected to a netgear wireless before and it works fine.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    And then if you asked ME I'd say to go with the Linksys, because that's the one that I'VE used with great success. We just bought one of them for our office and it works like a charm. Plus, it has four ethernet ports so that you can add computers that do not have wireless capability.

Note that the Airport base station has an internal modem.

D

[ 11-24-2002: Message edited by: drewprops ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by drewprops:

<strong>And then if you asked ME I'd say to go with the Linksys, because that's the one that I'VE used with great success. We just bought one of them for our office and it works like a charm. Plus, it has four ethernet ports so that you can add computers that do not have wireless capability.

Note that the Airport base station has an internal modem.

D

[ 11-24-2002: Message edited by: drewprops ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Which Linksys do you own? The only one I found had only 1 port, but the one you have sounds good. How easy was it to set up on a Mac?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I'm not aware of any Linksys wireless router with only one 10/100 port. The one he probably has is the same one I have... Amazon link:

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005ARK3/qid=1038189769/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_3/104-7230141-4698325?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846"; target="_blank">Amazon: Linksys Wireless 4 port cable/dsl router</a>
  • Reply 7 of 16
    That's a great price. I saw this router mentioned on TechTV a while ago, but I didn't know it was mac compatible. How easy is it to set up? I'm ignorant about networking, and that is my biggest fear.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    It's pretty easy, most of the configuration is done via a web browser... basically just hook it up to your dsl modem, then connect your pc and iMac via ethernet ports and those should work automatically.

As for the wireless part, you have to open up a web browser, type in the router's address (something like 192.168.1.1) to access the router's features, and turn on WEP, set a password, and enter it into your laptops. If you have a Mac laptop, then you'll have to generate the 128 bit key and enter it into the airport setup I think, preceded by a dollar sign ($).
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I have a Netgear RT314 router and I love it. It's basically the same thing as the aforementioned wireless router in this article, just without the antenna.

I'd go with the Netgear, not just because I own one, but because they have a rugged full metal enclosure. It's lterallty a metal box with stuff inside of it, which I like because I can stack stuff on top of it, and it has mounting screw holes for mounting on a wall.

I owned a plastic switch a long time ago, and all it took was an eighteen inch fall to the floor to cause it to shatter. I'm sure the Linksys is well built, but I'd take a metal enclosure over plastic any day. Also, I don't know about the Linksys, but the firmware in the Netgear routers allows the router to communicate your new IP information directly to DynDNS.org if you maintain a dynamic domain with them.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Netgear, D-Link, or Belkin.

ANYTHING but Linksys - bad support and high failure rate. They are OK when things are working perfectly, but then, so is a Wintel.....
  • Reply 11 of 16
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    I've had nothing but trouble with LinkSys. My friends as well have had trouble with them and had to return their routers for replacements. I've recently been using SMC and have nothing but praise for them. Some of my friends use DLINK and they have nothing but good things to say about them as well. With SMC I like their easy setup and they have 24 hr customer service which could be useful once in a while.

- offtopic question -

I guess I can ask my question here, although it is a bit off topic. Sorry for the topic hijack. I'm thinking of setting up my parent's home with an all wireless network. I think i will be getting the SMC Wireless Router. I just like SMC because their products are top notch (own a 4 port SMC router) and they have 24 hr tech support/cust service. Probably good for my parents in case the router acts up.

Anyway, would just the wireless router and hooking up all the PC's with PCI wirless cards (mac's w/ airport card) be enough, or do I need to get something like a repeater to boost signal? Are the Wireless USB Network Adapters for this purpose? We have 2 floors and a basement. I think I will be setting everything up in my old room which was in the basement. Although I am thinking of setting up the cable modem/wireless router and everything possibly on the first floor to get better reception radius area wide. Mind you this is a big house with more than 6 rooms. So I am worried about reception. Is there a certain way I should be setting this up?

thanks for any help.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>I have a Netgear RT314 router and I love it. It's basically the same thing as the aforementioned wireless router in this article, just without the antenna.

I'd go with the Netgear, not just because I own one, but because they have a rugged full metal enclosure. It's lterallty a metal box with stuff inside of it, which I like because I can stack stuff on top of it, and it has mounting screw holes for mounting on a wall.

I owned a plastic switch a long time ago, and all it took was an eighteen inch fall to the floor to cause it to shatter. I'm sure the Linksys is well built, but I'd take a metal enclosure over plastic any day. Also, I don't know about the Linksys, but the firmware in the Netgear routers allows the router to communicate your new IP information directly to DynDNS.org if you maintain a dynamic domain with them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How as it to set up the your 314? I know it is almost identical to the 814, but I know nothing about it. As much good as I've heard about linksys, the negative reports are stearing me in another direction. Macworld reviewed the Netgear 314 in July and liked it alot, but they didn't really say anything about setup.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    Macintouch seems to have a discussion about wireless network routers. Here is the <a href="http://www.macintouch.com/wirelesslanreader11.html"; target="_blank">link</a>
  • Reply 14 of 16
    The Linksys I speak of IS a 4-port unit, with an antennae setup.

AND, I've personally had very good performance out of my Linksys, so it's down to personal experience when you go asking all of us to comment on what we suggest. I don't doubt that some people have had problems with the Linksys equipment, but I also expect that the Netgear stuff has its own doggy batches. The worst you could do is buy one brand or the other and give it a try.

One more thing:

I'd say to put your router in a safer place to begin with. If you decide that armor-plating is necessary for your equipment I'd suggest that you re-examine the safety of your environment. I don't buy televisions to withstand 3 foot falls to the floor, or refrigerators that can withstand toppling over on their sides.....I set the equipment up in a safe manner to begin with and work from there.

So go on, buy one of these routers and get going!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by iDude:

<strong>

How as it to set up the your 314? I know it is almost identical to the 814, but I know nothing about it. As much good as I've heard about linksys, the negative reports are stearing me in another direction. Macworld reviewed the Netgear 314 in July and liked it alot, but they didn't really say anything about setup.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I never touched a setup screen to install my Netgear router. I just plugged it in and plugged everything else in. DHCP serveris on by default, so you shouldn't have to touch it. You can run their five step or so setup wizard to change the admin password, and a few other setings. I eventually went to the setup screen to see what my real IP was, and while I was there I found out about the automatic DynDNS.org updating via the router, and I had it spoof my mac's MAC address.

I've never heard bad things about Netgear routers, but then again, no company is perfect, so there is always going to be someone upset with one company or another. The Netgear router is better built, and I've never had a single problem with it. It's been running 24/7 for the past three years
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Thanks guys. I THINK I am going to get the Netgear MER814. I've read good things about it, it comes with instructions for the Mac, and is only $49 from Amazon! I still welcome input. I'm not going to order it for a while since I'm not positive DSL is available here yet.

Thanks again.