Inside Apple's 2016 MacBook Pro: USB-C and Thunderbolt 3

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    The common conception that Apple is behind on that (or on laptop upgrades in general) is less than half true, really. I do have one of the Dell XPS 15 laptops with USB-C/TB3 (mainly got it to give my MS System Center / MCSE lectures, since Apple did not sell anything portable capable of supporting 32 GBs of RAM). Yes, the machine has a 6th generation quad-core i7 and the newest in ports. But in real life they needed something like 8 months to make the UEFI and drivers work somewhat, almost the same amount of time to deliver the needed peripherals and adapters, it still does not drive 5k displays and driving two external UHD displays requires a $350 dock, some things do still work randomly today (like wake from sleep in general and waking up external displays in particular). And... in real life use this 6th gen CPU does not feel much faster than my 2012 retina MBP while lasting about half as long on a full charge... Add to that Windows 10s still more than glaring power management, hibernation, font rendering and high DPI scaling issues... and I still would not prefer this piece of junk over my 4 year old MBP for any other task. Maybe Apple simply decided to not even go there until Intel has worked out the most glaring issues... which can't be said even today.
    fastasleeptallguyroundaboutnownolamacguymac fan
  • Reply 22 of 58
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    mytdave said:
    Leave the SD card slot in place too (it's a card slot, not a port).
    Isn't it just hanging off the internal USB bus anyway? So, it's kind of both. :)
  • Reply 23 of 58
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member

Having lived through it all, I can say, good riddance to having to carry all those connectors. The only problem is the interim where users are stuck with the plethora of USB & other standards while USB-C ports sit idle. They’ll have to pay bleeding edge prices for something that is just an adapter & offers no performance increases since they are still using perfectly functional old peripherals. It will be this way until manufacturers start taking advantage of the new standard. Manufacturers are stuck with chicken or egg syndrome & have to carry the burden of supporting legacy and newer customers. This in turn slows down how many resources they can dedicate to USC-C/Thunderbolt adoption.

This has happened with every new port standard, and it takes at least 2 year before the scale tip to the newer standard. So, even if Apple adds USB-C/Thunderbolt to their machines this fall, most users won’t reap the benefits until 2018. That’s not to say, don’t buy the new models, just a warning that you’ll have to wait a bit unless you have deep pockets to replace all your peripherals—or at least those available—at once.

In addition, there’s enough disinformation about Thunderbolt being an “Apple Proprietary” technology (people still believe this like some believe the earth is flat). I can imagine some manufacturers will chose not to adopt the Thunderbolt side to avoid the added expenses and tighter tolerances & not bother to tell consumers about Thunderbolts faster transfer speeds since they don’t offer them, further hurting adoption. Of course I hope that doesn’t happen, but it has happened before. So, it would not be out of the realm of possibility for this to happen again.

edited August 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Soli said:
    Seriously no SD card port? 
    I liked Tim Cook at first but now all I see is him killing Mac OS. First the Mac Pro died in the garbage can, now he is sending the MacBook Pros to their demise. No longer is Apple for professionals. 
    1) You're against Tim Cook because of a rumor about SD cards?

2) So if Tim Cook didn't release an updated Mac Pro you'd have been happier with the old model still chugging along? You know how long that languished under Jobs, right? It's a low volume seller so it's not going to get the most attention, and then you have Intel who continually have pushing back releases and slowing their progress.

3) I see no indication that I'll have to stop using macOS or a MacBook Pro, but that's probably because I'm using these tools every day and I've experienced the advancments they've made every year to macOS and nearly every year to the MBP.
    You misunderstand me. There are many reasons why I'm displeased. I said I liked him at one time, but Apple is getting away from what made them great. Media.
    I've used Mac OS since 7.1, and yes I have seen the advancements. But the machines have not advanced in ways I think they should. Each year we loose another way to upgrade them. It use to be you could upgrade the ram in your MacBook, now you can't. I am still using my 2011 MacBook Pro 15 because I could upgrade it and keep it going. It's not just the SD card, it's every Mac machine.

The 5k iMac is impressive until you really hit it with multiple videos while editing, then it starts to take a hit. Many people complain that they are downgrading when moving to those machines because of how much longer it takes to complete the same FCPX tasks. Otherwise I would have bought one by now. I'm hoping new graphics cards will remedy these problems.

The '13 Mac Pro has heating problems and Apple hasn't fixed them since 2013. You can't upgrade the graphics cards. And the 2012 Mac Pro's are running at the same speed as the 2013's, and you can upgrade the 2010's to the same specs, and upgrade the graphics cards. Since the garbage can Mac Pro many professionals have left MacOS because they need more. Until Apple allows for the ability to natively add graphics cards and other data intensive cards through whatever means they deem worthy more will continue to leave. I don't want that to happen, but like many I don't think it's going to stop any time soon. One of the arguments that people have brought up against the '13 Mac Pro is that its price hasn't changed in 3 years. Before they would adjust the price to reflect the aging tech. Not now. 3 year old cpu's and gpu's and it's still the same price it was upon release. 

I use my MacBook Pro every day also. Mainly for photography and light video work. The SD card slot and thunderbolt ports are the only ports I use on my MBP. I'm excited for thunderbolt 3. The SD card slot gets used multiple times a day, and is necessary to my work. I've had usb readers go bad and have fried usb ports before. I'd prefer to have it as a part of my logic board for that reason. 

I liked the upgradability of Apple products, and I find it foolish to upgrade to a new computer every year, I want my products to last and adjust with me through the years. That's why I've bought Apple for years. 

If I don't speak up and give my opinions, lay down, and watch these products become unusable for my work I will be forced to look elsewhere like others are. 

Tim Cook has stopped listening to professionals in the video and media market. Many have moved to the HP Z series, others like my self are making their older Aluminum Mac Pro's last longer by upgrading, hoping something better will come out. I've read that Apple believes they made a mistake with the '13 Mac Pro and are making sure the next one is right. I pray they do get it right. 

And really, I can't complain about Job's now, he's gone, and so to Mr. Cook I send my concerns. When he took over he gave me high hopes, now I feel let down. It appears he's more concerned with the runway and making Apple products thinner than utilitarian. 

I want to upgrade, but why? When in many ways newer machines are a step backwards and don't give me any increase in my productivity. 
    baconstangptmmactallguyxiamenbilldoozydozenmatted
  • Reply 25 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mytdave said:
    …Thunderbolt 3, if, that's a big if, if there were enough of them (min. of 4),
    You’re going to get two and the adapters will be $30 each and sold separately.

• Reply 26 of 58
    Old Blue above pretty much sums up my complaints.  I just want to be able to upgrade ram, hard drive, and video.  If the video could be off loaded onto a thunderbolt connection, I would be fine with that.  But the limits on RAM are really harsh.  I want 16gigs of ram standard.  If they want to charge me $200 for 32 Gigs that is fine, but 200 to get 16Gigs is just bad business.

xiamenbilldoozydozenoldbluegmc50
  • Reply 27 of 58
    entropys said:

never mind, dell XPS will have full TB3 well before Christmas.

That might be true but it will also have (Shudder) Windows 10. Then your lovely new XPS will not be yours any more. Nanny MS will control it and you.
    So? What you wanna do then?

doozydozen
  • Reply 28 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    That might be true but it will also have (Shudder) Windows 10. Then your lovely new XPS will not be yours any more. Nanny MS will control it and you.
    Just wipe it, install 7, and load up a standalone Thunderbolt 3 driver.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    dreyfus2 said:
    The common conception that Apple is behind on that (or on laptop upgrades in general) is less than half true, really. I do have one of the Dell XPS 15 laptops with USB-C/TB3 (mainly got it to give my MS System Center / MCSE lectures, since Apple did not sell anything portable capable of supporting 32 GBs of RAM). Yes, the machine has a 6th generation quad-core i7 and the newest in ports. But in real life they needed something like 8 months to make the UEFI and drivers work somewhat, almost the same amount of time to deliver the needed peripherals and adapters, it still does not drive 5k displays and driving two external UHD displays requires a $350 dock, some things do still work randomly today (like wake from sleep in general and waking up external displays in particular). And... in real life use this 6th gen CPU does not feel much faster than my 2012 retina MBP while lasting about half as long on a full charge... Add to that Windows 10s still more than glaring power management, hibernation, font rendering and high DPI scaling issues... and I still would not prefer this piece of junk over my 4 year old MBP for any other task. Maybe Apple simply decided to not even go there until Intel has worked out the most glaring issues... which can't be said even today.
    I have a SW company where all my SW engineers can choose between a Dell XPS13 running Ubuntu or a 13" MBP, both with the fastest i7 processor available.  The full compilation of the largest Java application we are developing is around 20%  faster on the latest Dell than on the latest MBP.  This is of course no scientific proof, but still a good indication.  So most engineers currently prefer the Dell XPS13, which is good for my wallet as it cost 400 Euro less.
    We use full HD 24" external monitors, so no clue about 5k issues.  We also have from time to time issues on the Dell waking up in a dual monitor config, luckily this can be solved by switching off and on the external monitor.

edited August 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 30 of 58
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    entropys said:
    Given the kabylake timetable, an MBA ASAP with u series kabylake chips so it can have full thunderbolt 3 performance would be highly desirable, letting MBP be upgraded early next year when chips for them become available.

But no, consumer level must buy more expensive and m series powered rMB.

never mind, dell XPS will have full TB3 well before Christmas.

Full TB3 is possible now, it just needs an additional chipset. The question is, what processor will we see, and when.

We're going to delve into that later in the series.
    I am not sure apple would want to put an additional chipset temporarily in the MBP design. Would there be room as you can expect it to be as thin as, with internal space an absolute premium?  I would not be surprised if the MBP was Skylake TB2 only until the appropriate Kabylake chip came out.  And if the MBP has Skylake, Apple will want the MBA, if it is released at all, to also have Skylake rather than appear 'better' than the MBP.   So even though it is possible, it is likely no MBA with a kabylake u series chip and TB3 either.  

Meanwhile the Dell and HP competitors to the MBA will not be so self constrained. So you may be right, to stay remotely competitive Apple may need, or 'have' to add the extra chipset or be laughed off as sad also rans.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 31 of 58
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    anome said:
    command_f said:
    So, no serial port then.

Didn't you read the article? There were 4 of them.

Or did you mean RS-232 DE 9 connectors? Or RS 422 DIN 8? Because neither of those has been on a Mac for some time.

I believe that was the joke.
    palegolasnolamacguy
  • Reply 32 of 58
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I hope all 4 ports will be full capacity Thunderbolt 3 ports! I guess there might be a total bandwidth limit to what the portable version of Kaby Lake can actually pull off. 40Gb x 4.. is that within the specs? Would be awesome.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Soli said:

2) So if Tim Cook didn't release an updated Mac Pro you'd have been happier with the old model still chugging along? You know how long that languished under Jobs, right? It's a low volume seller so it's not going to get the most attention, and then you have Intel who continually have pushing back releases and slowing their progress.

3) I see no indication that I'll have to stop using macOS or a MacBook Pro, but that's probably because I'm using these tools every day and I've experienced the advancments they've made every year to macOS and nearly every year to the MBP.
    You misunderstand me. There are many reasons why I'm displeased. I said I liked him at one time, but Apple is getting away from what made them great. Media.
    I've used Mac OS since 7.1, and yes I have seen the advancements. But the machines have not advanced in ways I think they should. Each year we loose another way to upgrade them. It use to be you could upgrade the ram in your MacBook, now you can't. I am still using my 2011 MacBook Pro 15 because I could upgrade it and keep it going. It's not just the SD card, it's every Mac machine.

The 5k iMac is impressive until you really hit it with multiple videos while editing, then it starts to take a hit. Many people complain that they are downgrading when moving to those machines because of how much longer it takes to complete the same FCPX tasks. Otherwise I would have bought one by now. I'm hoping new graphics cards will remedy these problems.

The '13 Mac Pro has heating problems and Apple hasn't fixed them since 2013. You can't upgrade the graphics cards. And the 2012 Mac Pro's are running at the same speed as the 2013's, and you can upgrade the 2010's to the same specs, and upgrade the graphics cards. Since the garbage can Mac Pro many professionals have left MacOS because they need more. Until Apple allows for the ability to natively add graphics cards and other data intensive cards through whatever means they deem worthy more will continue to leave. I don't want that to happen, but like many I don't think it's going to stop any time soon. One of the arguments that people have brought up against the '13 Mac Pro is that its price hasn't changed in 3 years. Before they would adjust the price to reflect the aging tech. Not now. 3 year old cpu's and gpu's and it's still the same price it was upon release. 

I use my MacBook Pro every day also. Mainly for photography and light video work. The SD card slot and thunderbolt ports are the only ports I use on my MBP. I'm excited for thunderbolt 3. The SD card slot gets used multiple times a day, and is necessary to my work. I've had usb readers go bad and have fried usb ports before. I'd prefer to have it as a part of my logic board for that reason. 

I liked the upgradability of Apple products, and I find it foolish to upgrade to a new computer every year, I want my products to last and adjust with me through the years. That's why I've bought Apple for years. 

If I don't speak up and give my opinions, lay down, and watch these products become unusable for my work I will be forced to look elsewhere like others are. 

Tim Cook has stopped listening to professionals in the video and media market. Many have moved to the HP Z series, others like my self are making their older Aluminum Mac Pro's last longer by upgrading, hoping something better will come out. I've read that Apple believes they made a mistake with the '13 Mac Pro and are making sure the next one is right. I pray they do get it right. 

And really, I can't complain about Job's now, he's gone, and so to Mr. Cook I send my concerns. When he took over he gave me high hopes, now I feel let down. It appears he's more concerned with the runway and making Apple products thinner than utilitarian. 

I want to upgrade, but why? When in many ways newer machines are a step backwards and don't give me any increase in my productivity. 
    I don't post much but I felt the need to weigh in here a bit. I have one of the new Mac Pro's from 2013 and it has been and is still flawless. Calling it a garbage can is ridiculous and unecessarily disrespectful. I've had an apple "Mac Pro" tower type computer in my life since the 90's and this newest incarnation is the best by far. Small, sleek, quiet, powerful, yes pricey of course but you do get what you pay for. I use it for audio with logic and the universal audio tools and I couldn't be happier.. now if you want to complain about a segment of the Apple product line... Let's talk about monitors for the Mac Pro... Sigh. Had to buy an LG. My first non-apple monitor. It's doing the job but it's just not at the same design and build quality level as Apple's products. 
    entropysSolinolamacguyfastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 58
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Let's talk about monitors for the Mac Pro... Sigh. Had to buy an LG. My first non-apple monitor. It's doing the job but it's just not at the same design and build quality level as Apple's products. 

yes I miss the days when you could fully kit out a properly matching set of Apple gear and gloatingly gaze at its awesomeness. It is almost like Apple these days has nobody at the top looking at the big picture.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 35 of 58
    sziehrsziehr Posts: 12member
    I just to make it clear they are going to give you 4 count them 4 40gbs ports. I am aware people are not happy about the dongle situation, however 4 x 40gbs is an insane amount of speed.  I like the idea they are just going to go here is Raw I/O  that is instantly assignable to video, audio, data, etc to me this is huge step forward. This says i can use all 40 GBS with a media converter to drop direct into a fiber channel array or i can toss another adapter on it for 10gbs ethernet or i can hook into 3 displays in a chain and a nice array. The combinations i can think of is more than i can type.  There are indeed growing pains to that i can not deny. I will just use the old adage of getting in shape no pain no gain. There needs to be a little bit of pain to get a massive boost gain in speed and flexibility 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 36 of 58
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 532member
    k2kw said:
    I'm looking forward to seeing USB-C everywhere, but I have to ask why apple doesn't drop the lightning port from the iPhone and iPad to replace it with USB type C.
    It can handle faster charging, higher data speeds, and audio.
    Lightning can handle faster speeds and charging. The 12" iPad has Lightning but can read/write  at USB 3 speeds.

That said, as much of a pain as it would be for Apple to drop Lightning, they should do so in order to support a common USB-C standard for headphones. 

They won't, but they should.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    hmlongco said:
    k2kw said:
    I'm looking forward to seeing USB-C everywhere, but I have to ask why apple doesn't drop the lightning port from the iPhone and iPad to replace it with USB type C.
    It can handle faster charging, higher data speeds, and audio.
    Lightning can handle faster speeds and charging. The 12" iPad has Lightning but can read/write  at USB 3 speeds.

That said, as much of a pain as it would be for Apple to drop Lightning, they should do so in order to support a common USB-C standard for headphones. 

They won't, but they should.

Why? So I can replace my investment in Lightning cables and accessories I've spent the last four years acquiring with USB-C cables and accessories? A new investment that I'm not likely to even need in another 5 years when the iPhone goes completely wireless for everything? 

When I can actually find a USB-C anywhere, maybe I'll start considering your proposal. When I can buy a USB-C cable at 3AM at 7-11, the way I can buy a Lightning cable now, then I'll take your proposal seriously. But by that time, I expect we'll be talking about Apple removing all ports on the iPhone, and I'll be listening to music wirelessly, charging wirelessly, and transferring data wirelessly. 

Add to that headphones with digital interfaces will be platform agnostic, so nobody loses their investment if they switch between platforms. For those who use Apple, Android and legacy equipment, there will be a hybrid cable with plugs for everything. There's just no need to do it, especially since adapters will be needed for years to come until every single analogue device has been replaced with a digital one with a USB-C port -- and wireless will be the new standard for audio anyway.

nolamacguy
  • Reply 38 of 58
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    appleiigs1986 said:
    I've had an apple "Mac Pro" tower type computer in my life since the 90's and this newest incarnation is the best by far. Small, sleek, quiet, powerful, yes pricey of course but you do get what you pay for. I use it for audio with logic and the universal audio tools and I couldn't be happier.. now if you want to complain about a segment of the Apple product line... Let's talk about monitors for the Mac Pro... Sigh. Had to buy an LG. My first non-apple monitor. It's doing the job but it's just not at the same design and build quality level as Apple's products. 
    I've had Apple full tower computers with their monitors since forever as you have. The only time I've used the new Mac Pro is briefly in the Apple Store. I decided on the iMac 5K instead. I couldn't be happier. The color and sharpness of the monitor is fantastic, especially compared to the original Apple 30" Cinema which I still use with my older Mac Pro. But if you wanted a monitor that is of the same build quality as your Mac take a look at Eizio. Their top of the line is a bit pricey at $5,700, however it is only 4K, not 5K like my new iMac. Eizio is known for its high quality, accurate color and they do make monitors in a full range of price points starting at around $1,000, but to get the 31" 4K you'll pay a very high price. I'm not sure I could afford that, so I would probably go for the LG as well.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 39 of 58
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Soli said:

wait...youre a pro user, but you like Apple gear and iMacs for their upgradability? um, that's never been a huge selling point on Apple gear, since the Mac. on iMacs and MacBooks the only thing you can really upgrade is the RAM (on old machines you could add SSD but there's no reason to now if you get SSD in the box) which I max out on day one since I'm a pro and this is my tool for making money. not understanding why you wouldn't also? I have a maxed out 2011 iMac, it still serves as my primary desktop for dev, which is Xcode, VMware, VS.Net, SQL Server, etc. a little different than video editing, I admit. but I'm not getting why you wouldn't load up your money-making tool, amortize it, and upgrade machines a few years (or more) later. how could a newer machine perform slower than your old machine?
    Solisphericfastasleeproundaboutnow
  • Reply 40 of 58
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

cropr said:
    dreyfus2 said:
    I have a SW company where all my SW engineers can choose between a Dell XPS13 running Ubuntu or a 13" MBP, both with the fastest i7 processor available.  The full compilation of the largest Java application we are developing is around 20%  faster on the latest Dell than on the latest MBP.  This is of course no scientific proof, but still a good indication.  So most engineers currently prefer the Dell XPS13, which is good for my wallet as it cost 400 Euro less.
    We use full HD 24" external monitors, so no clue about 5k issues.  We also have from time to time issues on the Dell waking up in a dual monitor config, luckily this can be solved by switching off and on the external monitor.

one of my clients insists I use their dell notebook and vpn for their work. it sucks -- simple tasks like sleep/wake and monitor switching to the external 27" wig it out, routinely, forcing me to power down and reboot. that's bollocks. the time I save from dealing with Windows and limitations like these are worth a 20% compile time. 
    Soli