Apple Pay support coming to Chick-fil-A restaurants this Friday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    How can Apple (Pro-LBGT) permit them to use ApplePay?  /s
    ronn
  • Reply 22 of 52
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    The food is tasty, the customer service is excellent, and the company is a great corporate citizen. I go out of my way to eat there if I'm ever in an area that has one.
    lolliverpscooter63lkrupppotatoleeksoupdesignrmac fanspacekidtallest skil
  • Reply 23 of 52
    stevenoz said:
    I will not support an anti-LGBT business. And I don't care for their 'religious' aura either. The religious tend to be the antithesis of how I think people should behave.
    So, keeping quality standards up, being generous with franchisees, closing on Sundays, Thanksgiving, and Christmas to allow people time with their families...these are all principles you disagree with?
    You can disagree with a particular portion of the restaurant's policies without disagreeing with the whole.
    edited August 2016 baconstangwilliamlondonronn
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Already up and running in Fairfax, VA.. Was surprised and pleased to see it the other day..
  • Reply 25 of 52
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Resistance against Apple pay is misguided and just provides competitors another opportunity to provide a better experience for their customers.

The most common excuse seems to be stores that want to provide their own payment platform to deliver their customer "a better experience", something they never make good on. They're better off to work with Apple to get their loyalty card system built into the Wallet/Apple Pay platform.

Apple with Apple Pay are in a unique position, competing offerings are poorly supported across devices or frustrating set up and use - there will still be a longish transition since getting a wallet or a phone out of one's pocket is a similar action - with only one of those guaranteed to work. This is where the watch performs brilliantly, it's effortless to double click the watch (or even through a coat in the colder seasons) and hold up the wrist to the payment terminal. I find this is worth trying even before pulling out my wallet.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    stevenoz said:
    I will not support an anti-LGBT business. And I don't care for their 'religious' aura either. The religious tend to be the antithesis of how I think people should behave.
    You should be thankful that you are free to do so! Frankly you should be thankful that the nation is still free enough for a CEO to express support for traditional marriage. It is a good thing freedom, don't give it up and certainly don't restrict somebody else's freedom.
    designrspacekidtallest skil
  • Reply 27 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    bsenka said:
    The food is tasty, the customer service is excellent, and the company is a great corporate citizen. I go out of my way to eat there if I'm ever in an area that has one.
    Every time I travel south I seek out one of their restaurants. They are hard to beat considering they are a fast food restaurant.
    potatoleeksoupspacekid
  • Reply 28 of 52
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Resistance against Apple pay is misguided and just provides competitors another opportunity to provide a better experience for their customers.

The most common excuse seems to be stores that want to provide their own payment platform to deliver their customer "a better experience", something they never make good on. They're better off to work with Apple to get their loyalty card system built into the Wallet/Apple Pay platform.

Apple with Apple Pay are in a unique position, competing offerings are poorly supported across devices or frustrating set up and use - there will still be a longish transition since getting a wallet or a phone out of one's pocket is a similar action - with only one of those guaranteed to work. This is where the watch performs brilliantly, it's effortless to double click the watch (or even through a coat in the colder seasons) and hold up the wrist to the payment terminal. I find this is worth trying even before pulling out my wallet.
    It's not about a better experience for customers. It's about customer data. With Apple Pay the merchant winds up knowing very little about you as your data is kept out of their systems. They don't know your name, your credit card company, etc. It's why merchants like Rewards or Loyalty cards, they can know more about you and your buying habits. And it's about the fees involved. If they have their own system they don't pay Apple a fee. They already pay the credit card companies and banks for each transaction. Apple gets a few pennies too and it all adds up, sometimes as much as 3% of the transaction.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Their founder donated to some anti-gay organization, if I recall correctly. So what? What about 99.9% of the rest of their company? If I avoided every company whose CEO was a piece of garbage, I would have few consumer goods companies to buy from. I eat CFA all the time, and I have never once witnessed their employees being anything but extremely polite and competent. That is what matters to me.
    stevehspacekid
  • Reply 30 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I have never been to a Chick-fil-A yet, but one thing that I do know, is that I can't stand fascist SJWs and anti-freedom little brown shirt wannabes, so I will definitely be paying a visit the next time that I am nearby, especially now that they have Apple Pay.
    designrSpamSandwichstevehmac fanchristophbtallest skil
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Apple Pay worked today on a Chick-Fil-A store. 

Their salads and chicken are the best from the fast food industry. They also train their employees to be very respectful and professional. The company is highly community involved. For example, after the orlando massacre, the employees went to work on a Sunday and to make and donate food to people waiting in line to donating blood. 
    stevehspacekid
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Ate there tonight and paid with my Apple Watch. 
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Apart from their homophobia, their incredibly nasty food and their aesthetically-challenged logo, I think Chick-fil-A is tops!

What's most interesting about the brand to me is that their Eat More Chickn tv campaign is the most effective argument for vegetarianism I've ever seen.  (I'm not a vegetarian but it definitely makes you think....)

ronnbaconstang
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Folks,

I get that conflating issues with the company's policies and the merit of it accepting Apple Pay can be objectionable, it's downright shocking and sad how many angry, ill-informed messages defending the company there are in this thread.

It's one thing for the president of the company to publicly state he believes in "traditional" marriage (the term is overly vague and rather random -- Which tradition? From which culture? At which point in the long history of humans creating and living in stable communities?). It's another thing for the company to donate large sums of money to groups that actively work to deny a group basic human and legal rights. To read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/01/chick-fil-a-anti-gay-controversy-employees-speak-out_n_1729968.html

If the president stated, and acted accordingly, that he did not personally believe in granting marriage equality but left it at that, then that would be one thing. But to actively give lots of money to discriminate against a group whose members have been and continue to be singled out for persecution just for living their lives peaceably isn't something anyone be jumping to defend.

Against same-sex marriage? Don't have one.

And remember: compassion and solidarity will get us a lot further in our collective journey than meanspiritedness and discrimination will.
    williamlondondtidmoreronnstevehbaconstangsingularitynomadmac
  • Reply 35 of 52

The internet forum truly is the modern day refuge for bigots too cowardly to don their hideous attire in civil society. Sigh.

dtidmoredesignrronnbaconstangsingularitynomadmac
  • Reply 36 of 52
    CuJoYYC said:
    Why would anyone want to support a, let's just call them, less than inclusive company? Just sayin'.
    Which, Apple or Chick Fil-A?

lkruppdesignrstevehchristophbbsenka
  • Reply 37 of 52
    stevenoz said:
    So, keeping quality standards up, being generous with franchisees, closing on Sundays, Thanksgiving, and Christmas to allow people time with their families...these are all principles you disagree with?
    You can add tolerance and respect to your list.

edited August 2016 designrronnchristophbtallest skil
  • Reply 38 of 52
    wizard69 said:
    stevenoz said:
    You should be thankful that you are free to do so! Frankly you should be thankful that the nation is still free enough for a CEO to express support for traditional marriage. It is a good thing freedom, don't give it up and certainly don't restrict somebody else's freedom.
    ^^^ Best post on an OT subthread ... WishI'd said that!

edited August 2016 designrstevehchristophbSpamSandwichtallest skil
  • Reply 39 of 52
    stevenoz said:
    That's not what people a condemning them for and you know it. But you drop a lousy strawman.  Any company* can do the things you cite especially without discriminating against employees. 

*Apple for example. 

I have not personally worked at Chick-Fil-A but my wife did for a period of time while my company was rotating me through their divisions. She worked there for about 4 months, her only restaurant experience; we were only going to be in the location for 4 months, no point in her finding a career move. 

Obviously she is straight, but many of her coworkers weren't. No one cared. No one said not to hire them. No one minded or judged them for their preferences. They loved working there; Chick-Fil-A gave 1-2 free meals per day and generally paid $0.50 more per hour (at entry level) than more restaurants with older and/or long-term employees making 2-3 $ more per hour than other restaurants. 

Moral of the story: get your head out of your a$$, stop believing everything the media says. This company has christian beliefs and sticks to them. They are not anti-LGBT, they are pro-christian. Conflicting viewpoints but they are plenty tolerant of the LGBT community. Look at what Chick-fil-a donates aid to; including the LGBT community tragedy in Florida. 

Its a free country but do some research first. You can boycott for their Christian views but don't go around saying they are being prejudiced toward their employees based on LGBT. I had 3-4 friends work a CFA during high school; same comments from them.

I am sure some people in some locations experience issues (due to a managers views) at Chick-Fil-As but it is not a company theme. The company theme is to appreciate everyone; we need more companies like Chick-Fil-A. Christian or not.
    edited August 2016 designrthewhitefalconstevehspacekidchristophblinkmantallest skil
  • Reply 40 of 52
    BS bunny trails aside, I find the OP surprising.

I love eating at Chick-Fil-A and used Apple Pay there several months ago, and posted as much in other Apple Pay threads. So this announcement comes as a surprise. I guess the CFA I went to was part of a pilot program?

Lots of merchants/chains/businesses are listed as supporting Apple Pay but haven't implemented it yet. I still have to make a trip to an El Pollo Loco to see if they actual do AP.  Maps shows a lot of nearby businesses using it, but I have my doubts.