Sprint joins chorus of carrier updates, reveals its own unlimited data plan

Posted:
in General Discussion
On the heels of other carrier updates, Sprint has also revised its wireless plans, giving two phones unlimited data for $100 per month.

Sprint's Unlimited Freedom plan has unlimited talk, text, and what it calls "optimized streaming video." Sprint's new plan costs $60 for a single line, $40 for a second, and $30 per line after two, up to 10 lines of service.

Boost Mobile, Sprint's prepaid brand, has a similar offer it calls "Unlimited Unhook'd." It features the same unlimited offerings including the down-sampled streaming video and sells for $50 a month for a single line, and $30 per month each additional line, up to five lines total.

Video streaming from Sprint is cut to 480p resolution. Gaming is limited to 2 megabits per second. Music streams are restrained to 500 kilobits per second, which will only impact some "lossless" audio streams and will have no impact on Apple Music quality.

CEO of Sprint Marcelo Claure said that the company initially resisted transcoding streaming video to a lower resolution and bitrate. However, Sprint claims that customers asked about the video could barely tell the difference between a higher source resolution, and the 480p transcoded video stream on mobile screens.

Restrictions on mobile hotspot tethering are not known at this time.

The new Sprint and Boost Mobile data plans will be offered to consumers on Aug. 19.

Thursday's new data plan launch by Sprint is the third carrier update in a week. AT&T updated its own data plans skewed in favor of customers seeking more mobile data, across fewer devices. T-Mobile's new plan emphasizes family plan holders with multiple devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Feels like the industry is going backwards?
    rhinotuff
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Interesting.  But, you still have to deal with Sprint.

I have a brand new iPad Pro sitting next to me, with the Apple SIM.  I've been trying to make the Mobile Broadband Pass for a week.  Doesn't work.  The signup screen says to "try again later."

If you contact Sprint for assistance, they tell you to contact Boost or Virgin Mobile (which are their prepaid brands)...  But, you'll need the phone number and pin to your account for assistance.

Just go elsewhere.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    Wow, you Americans really do get ripped off when it comes to cell phone contracts.
    cali
  • Reply 4 of 10
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    Why are they calling this "Unlimited Freedom plan" it's the very definition of limitation and restriction. Wouldn't it be nice if it was illegal to "sell" things in any kind of buffet non economically justifiable tactic ? unloading dog crap on people that cannot be justified interms of (retail price) - (cost of production) = (profit) is hogwash, these dodgy unsustainable and ultimately poise for failere business models should be unlawful you can't sell an unlimited quantity of anything at a fixed price that's not even basic Math's it's basic commonsense it's false advertising that should be banned and companies should not be training consumers to value quantity over quality, there should be some gov dep insuring this everywhere not just for consumer protection but the betterment of civilasation, if everyone could only buy the very best possible thing at all the price points that even the cheapest is the best cheapest and no "buy one get one free" ha ? Yeah I know I know very naive but wouldnt it be nice
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Not really a fan of all this 480p stream downgrading (it's not optimizing). We are getting new phones with better and better screens just to go back to SD resolution. No thanks. I think the new T-Mobile plan isn't great either. 2G for tethering? Nah! I'll stick with my 10GB with roll over and use it how I like. 
  • Reply 6 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Carriers are scattering before the next iPhone release. Why? Isn't iPhone doomed?

I wish Apple had their own carrier services.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    What good is unlimited data if the quality is crap?

What kind of an idiot is going to buy a $1000 phone, that has all of the fancy new features, super hi res screen, beautiful colors, HD everything, only to watch pixelated, low quality videos, and gaming and audio is also reduced quality? :#
  • Reply 8 of 10
    apple ][ said:

What kind of an idiot is going to buy a $1000 phone, that has all of the fancy new features, super hi res screen, beautiful colors, HD everything, only to watch pixelated, low quality videos, and gaming and audio is also reduced quality? :#
    The whole point is that the quality is not crap. I stream Amazon Prime video regularly and it looks and sounds just fine on my iPhone 6sPlus. I think it's a fantastic feature for people who don't want to spend the money on an expensive high cap or unlimited data plan: they can still stream audio and video all day long. Most people who criticize T-Mobile's BingeOn have no idea what they're talking about.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    apple ][ said:

The whole point is that the quality is not crap. I stream Amazon Prime video regularly and it looks and sounds just fine on my iPhone 6sPlus. I think it's a fantastic feature for people who don't want to spend the money on an expensive high cap or unlimited data plan: they can still stream audio and video all day long. Most people who criticize T-Mobile's BingeOn have no idea what they're talking about.
    480p is not crap?

That's what it says in the article. I stream Amazon Prime also from time to time, and it looks fine, but my connection is not limited to 480p.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Why are carriers still allowed to claim this is unlimited data?  It isn't. 

You should be able to use data anyway you want.  If I want an HD video stream, tethering, etc, that should be allowed. If this would be too taxing on the network, then go back to limited data plans until you can truly offer an unlimited plan. 

Customers should have a choice in how they use their data.