Retailer Target pins missed financial goals on lackluster Apple device sales

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    sog35 said:
    razormaid said:
    You know why Target got kicked in the nuts?  NO PAY!  And I don't just mean for purchasing the Apple product either. 

Ive actually been in line behind people who unloaded their entire cart on to the conveyer belt. Then try to use Pay. The sales register person says "we don't take that" and they walk out leaving everything on the conveyor belt. They have to call a manager to clear it.. And not just once has this happened. Now when I get in line behind a big order I remind them "Target doesn't take Pay". they thank me. Oh they still walk out leaving their stuff basket but at least they didn't unpack it. 

All the credit cards I have give back 5% when buying apple purchases BUT it has to be run through Pay. So why would you buy Apple through target and get double screwed?  We only shop there because their card gives 5% when using their card 
    what type of card gives you 5% back?
    Discover
    Barclays
    two I can think of off the top of my head
    BUT the 5% back is only available if you use Pay using their card. If you just buy Apple product using just the card no cash back
    GRIN
  • Reply 42 of 52
    razormaid said:
    You know why Target got kicked in the nuts?  NO PAY!  And I don't just mean for purchasing the Apple product either. 

Ive actually been in line behind people who unloaded their entire cart on to the conveyer belt. Then try to use Pay. The sales register person says "we don't take that" and they walk out leaving everything on the conveyor belt. They have to call a manager to clear it.. And not just once has this happened. Now when I get in line behind a big order I remind them "Target doesn't take Pay". they thank me. Oh they still walk out leaving their stuff basket but at least they didn't unpack it. 

All the credit cards I have give back 5% when buying apple purchases BUT it has to be run through Pay. So why would you buy Apple through target and get double screwed?  We only shop there because their card gives 5% when using their card 
    I like Apple Pay, but I cannot imagine it being such a big pull that a person would leave their entire cart behind. They don't have any cards in their wallet?
    I guess that was the problem - no wallet - they were expecting to use their phone. Seriously it's happened a lot. That's why when I see a big cart before I get behind them I warn the person "you know they do  Pay". 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 43 of 52

target will be around longer than you. 
    I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Our local Target is bleeding cash and customers because they don't restock their OWN BRANDS, much less higher-ticket sundry and grocery items this store is known for. The local grocery store chain has capitalized on that and are now stocking what Target doesn't. Wanna' guess where I spend my money?
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 44 of 52
    The last Target article I read in the WSJ was about how Target grocery is down....Hmmmm
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Again, this is the spin from AppleInsider. I hate it when I (or someone else, for that matter) relies on news about Apple from AI without consulting a secondary source. I get lazy about going to other sources just like anyone.

Here's an alternative source which makes no mention of anti-Apple panic:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/17/target-reports-second-quarter-earnings.html
    Try again. The 20 percent is straight from the CEO's mouth, in Target's question and answer session.

CNBC is a venue, drawing from the original source like we did.
    Are you the author of this story? Because if you are, you've essentially chosen to accept Reuters' spin on the matter, just slightly reworded:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-target-results-idUSKCN10S12D

edited August 2016
  • Reply 46 of 52

Target has blamed its lack of sales on others before. Shoot, they left Canada because Canadian consumers are too scrupulous. Poor poor Target, can't get people in their doors to buy things. They must be like K-Mart or Woolworths. Time for Target to change its business plan...the one it has isn't working out for it.
    Perhaps as of this quarter. By the way, when a CEO fails to meet their goals, they are usually given the "heave ho" in short order. They won't risk their entire business based on the underperformance of their hire.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    razormaid said:

I don't believe one bit of that. 
    ronn
  • Reply 48 of 52
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    Very interesting, but Inaccurate to blame Apple instead of Target.

I was literally locked in a Target for 2+ hours following their normal closing time of 9 PM. Their systems went down at the last minute and they could not give me my merchandise because their Computer System lost the "token" sent from Visa that my charge had cleared.  The Register would not print the receipt and I would not leave without my merchandise for which I had already paid.  The problem was caused by Target, not Visa.  I called my Card Company and they sent the electronic Token to Target.  Target "lost" it and could not print the paid Ticket at the register. They Screwed up the situation all around. It was a $600 charge and I was not about to leave without the merchandise and they were into about to give it to me.  

The store closed with me inside with 3 target managers and 1 Clerk.  It was over a 2 hour drive home.  Imagine getting Home at 5 hours later, say 2 AM because Target screwed up.  I had to tell them what was wrong.  Never an apology from Target Upper Management for the problem.  In retrospect, I should have given them the merchandise and got them to open the door and let me out.  Visa would have bounced the charge the next day.

Target does not feel that they should take responsibility for the "missed" earnings ?  Well, don't be surprised if they miss again. It is too easy to blame Apple.  It is no wonder Target had a date breach.  They still do not have it together.  The Target Store manager chewed their own IT people out, to no avail I might add.  Target is in trouble; as are other retailers.  Just wait and see.  I should have driven 1 additional minute to Best Buy or Sam's Club.  Either  would have been better.  Next time I will do it and I do not like BB.
    toranaga
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Try again. The 20 percent is straight from the CEO's mouth, in Target's question and answer session.

CNBC is a venue, drawing from the original source like we did.
    Are you the author of this story? Because if you are, you've essentially chosen to accept Reuters' spin on the matter, just slightly reworded:

I am, and I did not. I didn't get the news from Reuters.

We did, however, both get the news from the same source -- the Target CEO during the question and answer session.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member
    Target: "We suck, but it's Apple's fault. They made us miss our numbers." RIIIIGHT!
    toranagatallest skil
  • Reply 51 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I am, and I did not. I didn't get the news from Reuters.

We did, however, both get the news from the same source -- the Target CEO during the question and answer session.
    So, you are claiming you regularly (and for no reason whatsoever) listen to Target's quarterly earnings calls on the off chance there will be some random comment about Apple?

Sorry, that story doesn't wash.