'Store' no more in rebranding of Apple retail outlets

Posted:
in General Discussion
Although the public might continue to use the old phrasing, officially Apple has dropped the term "Store" from its worldwide retail locations, visitors to the company's website have noticed.

The individual webpages for each shop now simply mention the company and the outlet's official name. "Apple Store The Domain," for example, is now "Apple The Domain." The global flagship in New York City has been renamed "Apple Fifth Avenue."

In a memo reportedly sent to retail staff, obtained by MacRumors, the company said that it is gradually phasing out the word "Store" both online and at the outlets themselves. Although the note mentions plans to start with new locations first, most if not all webpages have already been altered.

The change is presumably part of Apple's broader attempt to treat its stores as community spaces, where people can go to hear talks, listen to music, and get advice, help, and training. Some locations, most notably Apple Union Square, already feature spaces set aside for events.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    The worldwide web still says "Apple Store"
    http://www.apple.com/retail/
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 2 of 50
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Makes sense as no one ever says I'm going to the Target Store or Walmart Store. But I think the website should say Apple - The Domain, or Apple, The Domain. That clearly identifies it as the store name, then location.
    calilolliver
  • Reply 3 of 50
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Interesting. The newly updated app is still the Apple Store app.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    Makes sense as no one ever says I'm going to the Target Store or Walmart Store. But I think the website should say Apple - The Domain, or Apple, The Domain. That clearly identifies it as the store name, then location.
    Well because Target and Walmart are not the product as well and are officially the names of the stores. I still add the words dealer or dealership after a car brad e.g. Toyota Dealership or Ford Dealer. I guess you could say "I'm going to Toyota" or "I'm going to Ford" but it sounds a lot less formal. 

Most places just differentiate their online presence from their brick and mortar by specifically adding ".com"
    edited August 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 5 of 50
    sog35 said:
    So this is the type of amazing insight we are paying Angela Ahredts $100 million a year for.

worth it.

Stop lying. She made around $74 million in 2014 (mostly with stock options) and then around $25 million last year (again, mostly from stock options). So she's made $100 million in TWO years, and this is going to drop sharply for 2016. She hardly makes $100 million a year.
    lenaDeelronnolamacguylolliverstevehpotatoleeksoup
  • Reply 6 of 50
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    So this is the type of amazing insight we are paying Angela Ahredts $100 million a year for.

worth it.

Stop lying. She made around $74 million in 2014 (mostly with stock options) and then around $25 million last year (again, mostly from stock options). So she's made $100 million in TWO years, and this is going to drop sharply for 2016. She hardly makes $100 million a year.
    Oh that makes such a difference, knowing she's actually only overpaid $49.8 M a year instead of $99.8 M.
    h2p
  • Reply 7 of 50
    sog35 said:
    Apple the Domain.

Was just their this weekend. Crowded as usual.  And the Microsoft store a block away was empty as usual.
    People do walk by the Microsoft Store on their way to Apple The Domain. Without stopping in Microsoft's slavish clone.
    calilolliverkevin kee
  • Reply 8 of 50
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Well because Target and Walmart are not the product as well and are officially the names of the stores. I still add the words dealer or dealership after a car brad e.g. Toyota Dealership or Ford Dealer. I guess you could say "I'm going to Toyota" or "I'm going to Ford" but it sounds a lot less formal. 

Most places just differentiate their online presence from their brick and mortar by specifically adding ".com"
    You can't say "I'm going to Ford" because sadly you aren't. You're dealing with a stealership, run by someone who doesn't work for Ford and who isn't accountable to either Ford or the customer. Someone who has a captive audience via geographic monopoly. If you were actually dealing with a company that could speak for itself and stand behind its products, you might be more likely to use its name. I'm going to stop by Tesla...
    calinolamacguyfastasleeplolliver
  • Reply 9 of 50
    levilevi Posts: 344member

Apple is the company, not the product. iPhone, iPad, Apple Music, etc - are the products. Having 'store' attached to thier reta locations is redundant. Also, removal of which breaks down the perceived barrier between retail staff and operations, engineering, etc. It's a welcome and smart move. And to your point about auto dealerships - they're not owned by the parent company, they're in essence franchisees. That said it's entirely appropriate to say 'I'm going to take my car in to Mazda today', and I know people that speak accordingly.
    calibaconstangDeelronfastasleeplolliverkevin keepotatoleeksouppte apple
  • Reply 10 of 50
    sog35 said:

LOL. Okay. So she made $100 million in 2 years. 

shes a bargain. LOL

What exactly has she done? Besides totally screwing up the Apple Watch launch
    Didn't we spend $200M of taxpayer money to get "Army Strong?"

Also reminds me of that scene in "Coming to America" where the barber quickly snips off Akeem's ponytail and says, "That'll be $8."
    caliDeelronfastasleeph2pkevin keepotatoleeksoup
  • Reply 11 of 50
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    levi said:

Apple is the company, not the product. iPhone, iPad, Apple Music, etc - are the products. Having 'store' attached to thier reta locations is redundant. Also, removal of which breaks down the perceived barrier between retail staff and operations, engineering, etc. It's a welcome and smart move. And to your point about auto dealerships - they're not owned by the parent company, they're in essence franchisees. That said it's entirely appropriate to say 'I'm going to take my car in to Mazda today', and I know people that speak accordingly.
    Makes sense and yes I've heard people say "I'm going to Nissan" etc.

Your point about products and Apple the company makes me wonder, will they began to phase out 3rd party accessories such as headphones?

Dropping "Store" would make a lot of sense in heading in that direction.

Cases, keyboards, cords are MADE and licensed for Apple products on the other hand.
    h2p
  • Reply 12 of 50
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    cali said:
    levi said:

Your point about products and Apple the company makes me wonder, will they began to phase out 3rd party accessories such as headphones?

Cases, keyboards, cords are MADE and licensed for Apple products on the other hand.
    Retail locations will still be retail locations with items for sale from Apple and third parties. Selling and demoing products, and Apple experience are still the main function. There's just no need to have store in the name, because it goes without saying. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 13 of 50
    I like it...typical of Apple...nice and clean. :)

lolliverpte apple
  • Reply 14 of 50
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    levi said:
    cali said:

Retail locations will still be retail locations with items for sale from Apple and third parties. Selling and demoing products, and Apple experience are still the main function. There's just no need to have store in the name, because it goes without saying. 
    And it also did no harm and is a distinction without a difference.   Much ado about nothing.  I usually don't complain about being a shareholder because I believe that if shareholders don't like what a company is doing, they should simply sell the stock and not complain about how the company is run, but in this case I'll make an exception because not only is the change in branding a waste of money but the resources it takes to accomplish could have been used for something a bit more meaningful.   

In addition, when Apple opened the first Apple (Store) [umm.what do we call it now - see how sloppy it is without "store"?] in NYC in Soho, it featured (and still does) an open auditorium with beautiful seats and a full wall screen where they do training and presentations.   When they opened the Fifth Avenue store, I went to look for such an area and was shocked to not find one.   So Apple de-emphasized such training except for one-on-one.   If they're going back to it, that's great, but most stores (can we still call them stores?) don't have them.  

Or is all this about Apple playing a game with Wall Street where analysts complain about declining Apple Store sales and Apple responds with, "Oh..they're not really stores - they're community centers."

• Reply 15 of 50
    sog35 said:

worth it.
    Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but this is actually a brilliant and counter-intuitive move.

Plus if the $100M is in appreciation of stock options, then it's a steal.  I doubt Apple is shelling out a tenth of a billion in cold cash for her... stock options align her interests with those of the shareholders-- and you too can be a shareholder and profit from her insight.
    lolliverkevin kee
  • Reply 16 of 50
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    zoetmb said:
    levi said:
    And it also did no harm and is a distinction without a difference.   Much ado about nothing.  I usually don't complain about being a shareholder because I believe that if shareholders don't like what a company is doing, they should simply sell the stock and not complain about how the company is run, but in this case I'll make an exception because not only is the change in branding a waste of money but the resources it takes to accomplish could have been used for something a bit more meaningful.   

In addition, when Apple opened the first Apple (Store) [umm.what do we call it now - see how sloppy it is without "store"?] in NYC in Soho, it featured (and still does) an open auditorium with beautiful seats and a full wall screen where they do training and presentations.   When they opened the Fifth Avenue store, I went to look for such an area and was shocked to not find one.   So Apple de-emphasized such training except for one-on-one.   If they're going back to it, that's great, but most stores (can we still call them stores?) don't have them.  

Or is all this about Apple playing a game with Wall Street where analysts complain about declining Apple Store sales and Apple responds with, "Oh..they're not really stores - they're community centers."

You use store but the word store isn't capitalized. So one might say, I'm going to Target. Or if referring to a specific location they might say I'm going to the Target store on xxx street. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 17 of 50
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cnocbui said:

Oh that makes such a difference, knowing she's actually only overpaid $49.8 M a year instead of $99.8 M.
    by which metrics do you define her job performance? have you compared your meticulously collected data to those which Cook and the board use? why not? oh, right, because you haven't the faintest idea what those are, because you're just some random guy in Ireland and not her boss. got it. 

keep on hating.
    edited August 2016 kevin keeroundaboutnowradarthekatmacgui
  • Reply 18 of 50
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

zoetmb said:
    levi said:

you're over thinking it entirely. you don't say "I'm going to the Target Store", you just say "I'm going to Target". the noun for Target's retail locations remains stores, lower case. "Target has 400 stores."

its really not that difficult and certainly nothing to complain about. as a stockholder. 
    kevin keeradarthekat
  • Reply 19 of 50
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cnocbui said:
    by which metrics do you define her job performance? have you compared your meticulously collected data to those which Cook and the board use? why not? oh, right, because you haven't the faintest idea what those are, because you're just some random guy in Ireland and not her boss. got it. 

keep on hating.
    Angela Merkel 'earns' $1.5 M a year, Angela Ahrendts is 'paid' $50 M.

Keep on riding into every thread like a white-knight, perched upon your horse 'outrageous indignation', slaying all the trolls and dragons.
    Paralysis
  • Reply 20 of 50
    sog35 said:

worth it.
    (Already addressed above by others)
    edited August 2016