'Store' no more in rebranding of Apple retail outlets

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Can't wait to go to Apple Big Apple and make a total dick of myself asking for the way.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Makes sense as no one ever says I'm going to the Target Store or Walmart Store. But I think the website should say Apple - The Domain, or Apple, The Domain. That clearly identifies it as the store name, then location.
    By the same token nobody I know says "I am going to go to Apple". Adding "domain" is not going to help it roll off the tongue any easier. Whenever I hear someone say they want to go to the Apple Store they say "I am going to the Apple store". I can't possibly see them saying "I am going to the Apple Domain". It just doesn't sound right.

I guess it doesn't matter much. But I think that "Apple Store" rolls off the tongue much easier then "Apple Domain"and I dont see a reason to change that. Maybe in the long run this change makes sense.

However I would guess that at least 50% of the people who go to the Apple stores don't know the definition of the word "domain". Add to the fact that the Apple Store is still a store no matter what you call it. Its sole purpose is still to sell you things and help make a profit for Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    LIKE IT
    macgui
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Paralysis said:
    Makes sense as no one ever says I'm going to the Target Store or Walmart Store. But I think the website should say Apple - The Domain, or Apple, The Domain. That clearly identifies it as the store name, then location.
    By the same token nobody I know says "I am going to go to Apple". Adding "domain" is not going to help it roll off the tongue any easier. Whenever I hear someone say they want to go to the Apple Store they say "I am going to the Apple store". I can't possibly see them saying "I am going to the Apple Domain". It just doesn't sound right.

I guess it doesn't matter much. But I think that "Apple Store" rolls off the tongue much easier then "Apple Domain"and I dont see a reason to change that. Maybe in the long run this change makes sense.

However I would guess that at least 50% of the people who go to the Apple stores don't know the definition of the word "domain". Add to the fact that the Apple Store is still a store no matter what you call it. Its sole purpose is still to sell you things and help make a profit for Apple.
    Are you joking? I'm 99% sure that the word "domain" will never be heard. It's a placeholder. If the retail location is in Toledo, it'd be "Apple Toledo". Nobody will be saying "domain"
    pscooter63nolamacguypalomine
  • Reply 25 of 50
    An Apple a day...
  • Reply 26 of 50
    domain
    noun
    an area of territory owned or controlled by a ruler or government: the southwestern French domains of the Plantagenets.
    • a specified sphere of activity or knowledge: the expanding domain of psychology | figurative : visual communication is the domain of the graphic designer.
    Physics a discrete region of magnetism in ferromagnetic material.
    Computing a distinct subset of the Internet with addresses sharing a common suffix or under the control of a particular organization or individual.
    Mathematics the set of possible values of the independent variable or variables of a function.

store |stôr|
    noun
    1 chiefly N. Amer. a retail establishment selling items to the public: a health-food store.

Changing the name from Apple Store to Apple Domain is just plain silly.  The Apple Store is a building with products for sale.    It is not even close to being considered a ‘domain’.  No one will ever say, “I am going to the Apple Domain”.  No one will have any idea what you are talking about.  It is a STORE.  People will continue to say, “I am going to the Apple Store”.  They’ll know exactly where you are going…to a retail establishment to buy a product, not the main headquarters in Cupertino.  It is as dumb as Mac OS and macOS.  During the keynote, they acted like macOS was something no one had ever heard before.  They will always be called 'Apple Stores'….because they are retail establishments selling product.  Apple Domain is like a fool that goes to Starbucks to use their laptop, or referencing the actual Apple website domain of apple.com.
    Paralysis
  • Reply 27 of 50
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Changing the name from Apple Store to Apple Domain is just plain silly.  The Apple Store is a building with products for sale.    It is not even close to being considered a ‘domain’.  No one will ever say, “I am going to the Apple Domain”.  No one will have any idea what you are talking about.  It is a STORE.  People will continue to say, “I am going to the Apple Store”.  They’ll know exactly where you are going…to a retail establishment to buy a product, not the main headquarters in Cupertino.  It is as dumb as Mac OS and macOS.  During the keynote, they acted like macOS was something no one had ever heard before.  They will always be called 'Apple Stores'….because they are retail establishments selling product.  Apple Domain is like a fool that goes to Starbucks to use their laptop, or referencing the actual Apple website domain of apple.com.

Apple does not change the word "store" to "domain", they omit the word "store" entirely so it is just Apple [the location], i.e Apple The Domain, Apple Barton Creek, Apple Knox Street, etc. Well that's what the article said if you read the article.
    edited August 2016 fastasleeppscooter63nolamacguy
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Yeah it's a bit of a head-scratcher to me that Angela Ahredts wants people to say "meet me at Apple" and then hang out there and use wifi. The locations I've been to are typically pretty crowded, and they haven't stopped targeting the most precious real estate on much of the planet. I suppose they can gradually shift the customer education that goes along with the sales pitch into group lessons rather than 1-on-1 Q&A -- or maybe people will accelerate in figuring out that there is no actual competition for many of the products; they can check out in place, recycle the all-paper packaging, and then shuffle over to the 'fun' area while onboarding their watch, haha.
    Paralysis
  • Reply 29 of 50
    It's kinda too bad, though, that they are dropping the dualism of "the Apple Store and the App Store".
    Paralysis
  • Reply 30 of 50
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    sog35 said:
    So this is the type of amazing insight we are paying Angela Ahredts $100 million a year for.

worth it.
    Uh, Apple is paying her. Not "we". Just because you own some stock, doesn't mean you're on the fucking board of directors like you always pretend to be. What a sense of entitlement. Oh, and Apple Stores have seen a ton of positive changes, both big and small, since Angela got in. Your shitty logic is the same type of troll drivel of "OMG so revolutionary!" sarcastic, shitty comments every time Apple makes any change or improvement in its software/hardware, as if every fucking change needs to be earth shattering. This particular change makes sense for alot of reasons, both for branding and functionally, but I wouldn't expect you to actually spend a moment considering those kinds of subtleties. What you've proven on this board, over and over again, is that you're an unbalanced individual who spends most of his time ranting and raving, over and over again, about how the most successful company on the planet is doing literally everything wrong. You're not convincing anyone of anything, and neither is anyone from Apple going to look to your direction for half a nano-second. And you irritate everyone here. So, what's your goal, beyond trying to covering up deficiencies in your own life by shitting on Apple at every opportunity, no matter how baseless? Seek help, and I mean it in the most sincere way. I honestly fear for your mental health, after reading the many thousands of your crazed rants. 
    edited August 2016 fastasleeppscooter63nolamacguy
  • Reply 31 of 50
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    sog35 said:
    So this is the type of amazing insight we are paying Angela Ahredts $100 million a year for.

worth it.

Stop lying. She made around $74 million in 2014 (mostly with stock options) and then around $25 million last year (again, mostly from stock options). So she's made $100 million in TWO years, and this is going to drop sharply for 2016. She hardly makes $100 million a year.
    That roughly equates to a hundred grand for every day per week, not including weekends, last year. Somebody on the radio mentioned that as well as minimum wage perhaps there should be a maximum wage. A caller thought that was not a good idea but instead all employees should be linked on a scale relative to the ceo. If the CEO gets a huge benefit so will everybody else proportionally. Either way something must be done. As much as I appreciate my Apple executives, including Tim Cook, no person deserves the kind of remuneration the top brass receives. Ever. It is not a financial question imo - it is a moral question and socio political. It is proof that the free market cannot self regulate. It is a system gone awry. (Not talking specifically about Apple, here. It is a general comment about executive over pay)
    edited August 2016 cnocbuinolamacguypalomine
  • Reply 32 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    proline said:
    You can't say "I'm going to Ford" because sadly you aren't.
    You don’t know me!

edited August 2016 pscooter63
  • Reply 33 of 50
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    kevin kee said:

Apple does not change the word "store" to "domain", they omit the word "store" entirely so it is just Apple [the location], i.e Apple The Domain, Apple Barton Creek, Apple Knox Street, etc. Well that's what the article said if you read the article.
    This is in line with products getting a 'buy' link wherever they appear on the site. No need to leave the page and go to 'the store'. In terms of the web 'the store' is really a construct to replicate physical life. It makes sense that we are moving away from that. I am curious to see what happens to the Apple Store App :)
  • Reply 34 of 50
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    You guys — The Domain is the name of a mall in Austin. Did you read the fucking article or try following the fucking hyperlinked "The Domain" text?

http://www.apple.com/retail/thedomain/
    http://www.simon.com/mall/the-domain

Also, nobody says "I'm going to The Burberry Store", they say "I'm going to Burberry" — this makes perfect sense. It's redundant. If I say I'm going to Apple at U Village, nobody thinks I'm not going to the Apple store.
    pscooter63nolamacguy
  • Reply 35 of 50
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Paralysis said:

Read the original post again, take it all in and (most vitally) understand it.

they aren't replacing "store" with "the domain". 
    "The domain" is a changeable place holder for the city, area or street where the store is located. (Depends on how many there are in the area).

so, Apple Store in Thurrock is now Apple Thurrock.

Its more descriptive as previously, when you said you were going to the Apple Store, "the" is definitive and makes it sound like there is only 1 store in total and it's not descriptive enough to explain which store you are going to.

Not to mention that the word "store" is really only used in America and Canada.
    macgui
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    by which metrics do you define her job performance? have you compared your meticulously collected data to those which Cook and the board use? why not? oh, right, because you haven't the faintest idea what those are, because you're just some random guy in Ireland and not her boss. got it. 

keep on hating.
    The consumer can measure here 'performance'

I go into an Apple store and she has done nothing to make the experience worth paying here $100 million a year.
    Again the only memory I have was the horrible Apple Watch launch and not being able to use Apple Pay at an Apple Store.

Its to the point I think I will never buy product from an Apple Store again. Why should I?  I need to pay a price premium versus other places and the experience is not that great.
    You're quite an enigma.

Occasionally you post something that makes me think, 'Mmm. I hadn't thought of it like that.'

But most days I read your posts and wonder if you've ever managed to get through a day without having a rake hit you in the face.

The problem is that you have a very narrow viewpoint. To you, her work doesn't go much further than what you can see in the Apple store in your town. Believe it or not, she does not work in an office at the back of the store four doors down from where you live.

While she has been working at Apple, she has overseen the expansion of the Apple store (whatever) network into China which will see 40 stores open by the end of the year.  Now, this looks easy to you because you think opening a retail chain in a country that makes it very hard for foreign companies to gain a foothold is as easy as opening a cereal packet. She has arrange tie ups with high end retailers, magazines and fashion houses that makes sure that Apple is the brand that kid wannabes aspire to. 

You think she doesn't do any work because she does not give interviews, does not speak at developer conferences and does not make an ass of herself at basketball games. She attended the opening of the new Apple… er… venue at the World Trade Center. She slipped in, said hello, had selfies taken with the staff, had a look around and then disappeared. She's also going to be spearheading the negotiations to get Apple places opened in India. She understands the culture of some of these countries with regards to women, and that's why she keeps a very low profile and why it often looks like Tim Cook is in two places at once, and because she understands what it means to be a team player.

Browett did not; neither did Forstall. That's why they got canned. Browett wanted to appeal to people like you. He wanted to make sweeping changes to the Apples store for the sake of it. He wanted to have the entire contents of the store room stacked to the ceiling in the main shop. He wanted the staff to be pushing Apple Care and extras to people who just came in to buy a cable. He wanted to build himself a kingdom inside Apple, much like Forstall did. The walls of Forstall's kingdom were so thick that senior management didn't realise that Maps was not fit to be released.

i take it these are the changes you are looking for. Well, guess what. A good leader doesn't make changes for the sake of it; a good leader makes changes that make sense.

You need to learn how to see things beyond your portfolio. The stores are not shops; they are Apple's Versailles. They're a demonstration of wealth and ubiquity. They give customers the confidence that Apple will be around for a very long time (unlike the French aristocracy). They are a testbed for retail technologies that are starting to bleed their way into other retails chains. Ahrendts will have decided how the Apple Store app reacts when you walk into the store, allowing you to quickly make a purchase (with Apple Pay now) without having to interact to a man-bunned hipster. They don't need to sell anything; they need to be full, heaving at all times. It's odd that Microsoft hasn't realised how much having a network of empty shops can damage their brand; even more so than their failed mobile efforts. Why? Because the general public doesn't know how badly Windows mobile is doing in the marketplace, and how unpopular Window10 is until they see an empty Microsoft shop.

She's paid a lot because she's responsible for Apple's interface to the public at large (not the folk who hang around forums whining that Apple won't give them a phone with a hard disk). Her responsibilities go a little further than the shop next to you.

edited August 2016 pscooter63palominemacguifastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 50
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cnocbui said:
    by which metrics do you define her job performance? have you compared your meticulously collected data to those which Cook and the board use? why not? oh, right, because you haven't the faintest idea what those are, because you're just some random guy in Ireland and not her boss. got it. 

keep on hating.
    Angela Merkel 'earns' $1.5 M a year, Angela Ahrendts is 'paid' $50 M.

Keep on riding into every thread like a white-knight, perched upon your horse 'outrageous indignation', slaying all the trolls and dragons.
    when there aren't trolls saying stupid things daily about a company they claim to be upset with, i won't have to call out the mental deficiencies of their old-crank nonsense. until then, i have plenty of time.
    edited August 2016 macguifastasleep
  • Reply 38 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    You guys — The Domain is the name of a mall in Austin. Did you read the fucking article or try following the fucking hyperlinked "The Domain" text?

http://www.apple.com/retail/thedomain/
    http://www.simon.com/mall/the-domain

Also, nobody says "I'm going to The Burberry Store", they say "I'm going to Burberry" — this makes perfect sense. It's redundant. If I say I'm going to Apple at U Village, nobody thinks I'm not going to the Apple store.
    "I'm going to the Apple Store store."

"Where is it?"

"It's at the mall, near the The Container Store store."
    macguifastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 50
    evilution said:
    Paralysis said:

"The domain" is a changeable place holder for the city, area or street where the store is located. (Depends on how many there are in the area).

Its more descriptive as previously, when you said you were going to the Apple Store, "the" is definitive and makes it sound like there is only 1 store in total and it's not descriptive enough to explain which store you are going to.

Got it now. Thanks.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 40 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Paralysis said:
    evilution said:

No one says I am going to Apple "Roosevelt Field Mall" and no one will say it. 
    Perhaps they just need better motivation?