Samsung Galaxy Note 7 glass screen more easily damaged than any iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    lkrupp said:
    Bottom line, if this where about an iPhone all hell would be breaking loose. "Scratchgate" would be plastered all over the Internet. Pundits would be prognosticating how long before Apple went belly up. Consumer Reports would be warning the public. But since it's Samsung nobody will give a rat's ass. It probably won't even make it to c|net, let alone the Verge. Yawn...
    As Metallica's song says: "Sad but true..."
  • Reply 42 of 70
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    netrox said:
    It has nothing to do with Samsung. It's the Corning that makes the glass which Apple also uses for its screens.
    how do you know?  Maybe Samsung's quality control isn't as good as Apple.  Maybe Samsung agreed to buy Cornings 'sloppy seconds' for a discount rate.

Don't think for a second that Samsung isn't sketcy enough to do this type of stuff.  
    They know their clients are idiots and uneducated so they can sell them low quality junk and it won't matter.
    Oh don't give me that Apple quality shit.  I'll give you Apple quality - this is what you get from Apple in a near $3000 product:

This is the screen on my naked pocket carry for 6 years phone:

And contrary to all the anti-OLED brigaders, the blues haven't faded in the slightest and there is no burn-in.

My experience with admittedly only a few products, is that Samsung do not make junk.
    Kilroy238
  • Reply 43 of 70
    netrox said:
    It has nothing to do with Samsung. It's the Corning that makes the glass which Apple also uses for its screens.
    Yeah, it's not Samsung's responsibility to review the structural integrity of the materials it uses in its products, and assemble said products in a way that makes for a satisfactory user experience!
    Do you consider that logic should apply to Apple?  Such as with the MBPR power cable in the photo above?
    edited August 2016 singularityKilroy238
  • Reply 44 of 70
    cnocbui said:
    sog35 said:
    how do you know?  Maybe Samsung's quality control isn't as good as Apple.  Maybe Samsung agreed to buy Cornings 'sloppy seconds' for a discount rate.

Don't think for a second that Samsung isn't sketcy enough to do this type of stuff.  
    They know their clients are idiots and uneducated so they can sell them low quality junk and it won't matter.
    Oh don't give me that Apple quality shit.  I'll give you Apple quality - this is what you get from Apple in a near $3000 product:

And contrary to all the anti-OLED brigaders, the blues haven't faded in the slightest and there is no burn-in.

My experience with admittedly only a few products, is that Samsung do not make junk.
    Junky old Nokias didn't break easily either.
    Lol, that six year old piece of garbage you posted is DEFINITELY junk. I wouldn't wipe my ass with it.
    Congrats on keeping it scratch free (I guess??)... the fact that something that lame keeps you happy for six years kinda suggests you likely have used it over that period of time about half the amount the rest of us use our phones in a week.
    Soooooo.... unsure what you thought your "point" was going to be- but it fell flat.
    GloriousKillboopthesnootlolliverkevin kee
  • Reply 45 of 70
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cnocbui said:
    Yeah, it's not Samsung's responsibility to review the structural integrity of the materials it uses in its products, and assemble said products in a way that makes for a satisfactory user experience!
    Do you consider that logic should apply to Apple?  Such as with the MBPR power cable in the photo above?
    how strange that none of my MBP cables look as trashed and abused as yours. I'd wager that if they all just spontaneously ended up that way, Apple would have a real controversy on its hands. 

keep on spreading the hate, dear FUD dispenser. 
    ericthehalfbeeboopthesnootlolliverDeelron
  • Reply 46 of 70
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Is the media all over this like they were with the 14 bent iPhones??

revenant said:
    sog35 said:

Korea buys more Samsung than apple products and have more tertiary degree holders than the United States. thanks for your opinion, but facts are facts.
    https://www.oecd.org/edu/Korea-EAG2014-Country-Note.pdf (the U.S. was at 42% in 2010 and have gone down since and many of them were foreigners who gained U.S. citizenship after gainful employment).

we get it- you hate Samsung and, like them, make stuff up to make some kind of point. 

WRONG. A biased country(where Apple has been number 1 before) does not change the studies done that show android users are less intelligent, less wealthy, less healthy and more desperate.

You have to be less educated than the average techie to buy a knockoff iPhone device running years old android.
    ericthehalfbeelolliver
  • Reply 47 of 70
    cnocbui said:
    how strange that none of my MBP cables look as trashed and abused as yours. I'd wager that if they all just spontaneously ended up that way, Apple would have a real controversy on its hands. 

keep on spreading the hate, dear FUD dispenser. 
    A MBP isn't a MBPR.  I had no issues with 9 years of use with my Powerbook Ti power cable or the magsafe cable with my Macbook unibody which has seen similar use and even survived my daughters tender mercies.  Would you like photos of those too?

This is the second power cable for this computer where the insulation has just rotted away.  The first and original one did the same thing at 20 months and I had that one replaced under warranty.

• Reply 48 of 70
    cali said:

revenant said:
    Korea buys more Samsung than apple products and have more tertiary degree holders than the United States. thanks for your opinion, but facts are facts.
    https://www.oecd.org/edu/Korea-EAG2014-Country-Note.pdf (the U.S. was at 42% in 2010 and have gone down since and many of them were foreigners who gained U.S. citizenship after gainful employment).

we get it- you hate Samsung and, like them, make stuff up to make some kind of point. 

WRONG. A biased country(where Apple has been number 1 before) does not change the studies done that show android users are less intelligent, less wealthy, less healthy and more desperate.

You have to be less educated than the average techie to buy a knockoff iPhone device running years old android.
    I know someone who has three degrees, two of them firsts and the other a Phd in electrical engineering, a subject they teach at a university, who speaks 4 languages well and has a working knowledge of 3 more.  They use an HTC One.

So you are full of shit
    edited August 2016 singularityKilroy238revenant
  • Reply 49 of 70
    cnocbui said:

Junky old Nokias didn't break easily either.
    Lol, that six year old piece of garbage you posted is DEFINITELY junk. I wouldn't wipe my ass with it.
    Congrats on keeping it scratch free (I guess??)... the fact that something that lame keeps you happy for six years kinda suggests you likely have used it over that period of time about half the amount the rest of us use our phones in a week.
    Soooooo.... unsure what you thought your "point" was going to be- but it fell flat.
    Ha, ha.  A couple of years ago I was sitting in the reception area of a firm I was dealing with, and someone from the inner office sanctum came out with his iPhone in his hand looking at the phone screen and frowning, then exited through the security doors and into the main stairwell.  Then he proceeded to make a phone call.  A while later, a second person exited the inner offices and did the same thing, also using an iPhone.  I asked the receptionist what they were doing.  She replied they couldn't get a signal so that's what they would do.  I pulled out my excellent phone and checked the display.  I had a solid 4 bars of signal.  I have made calls successfully with no bars.  I mentioned to the receptionist that I thought that odd as my Samsung had a good signal.  She actually laughed and said she had a Samsung as well and had no problem with signal strength in the offices, and that it was only the ones with iPhones who had problems.

You seem a bit immature.  One man's junk is another man's treasure.
    singularityKilroy238
  • Reply 50 of 70
    Plastic home button. Typical samsung and they dare to talk about design. Motherfuckers.
  • Reply 51 of 70
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Plastic home button. Typical samsung and they dare to talk about design. Motherfuckers.
    It looks and feels cheap, but I have doubts that any usage within the wide spectrum of "normal" would wear it down to the point that it wouldn't register your thumb print. What he did with the tool was severely abnormal. Glass better? Obviously. Plastic home button usable for the life of the phone? I'd think so.

What's more egregious is the display, which will easily show scratches and be less appealing to the user in short order.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    revenant said:
    sog35 said:

In Korea's defence, it's rather hard to NOT buy Samsung there.

IIRC the 3 main conglomerates (Samsung, Daewoo and Hyundai) make up more than 40% of the national GDP .

You can wake up in your Samsung made bed, in you Samsung made house, filled with products made by Samsung, paid for with a mortgage from Samsung and insured by Samsung, have breakfast with food bought from a Samsung owned supermarket , get into your Samsung made car of walk down a Samsung made sidewalk to the train station built by Samsung and commute in a Samsung made train. All the wile listening to music on your Samsung phone with Samsung earphones. If you hurt yourself, you'll be driven to a Samsung owned hospital by Ssmsung paramedics in an ambulance made by Samsung. And if you get to work safely, Samsung probably built the building and has better than a one in 10 chance of owning the company you work for.

virtually every Korean has Samsung in their daily life in multiple ways - it's almost impossible to avoid there.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    FASC.PT said:
    So wait a second: the Galaxy 7 Edge didn't scratch with level 5, and Note 7 "scratches" with level 3. The justification of Gorilla Glass is that "Material transfer on the test substrate is not necessarily a scratch"? So what's the definition of a scratch to them? Because to me, it's something on the glass that it's not coming out, regardless if it's material transfer or damaged surface... Ridiculous...
    So to you a chemical stain on glass is actually a scratch? genius.
    singularity
  • Reply 54 of 70
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    atlapple said:
    It appears that GG5 is more shatter resistant yet less scratch resistant then GG4. Many rumors online say Apple also plans to use GG5 on the iPhone 7. 
    That's the standard tradeoff- as glass becomes more scratch resistant, it generally becomes more subject to breaking. Knife makers know this with metal. There's the same issue with the Ion-X glass in the Apple Sport Watches vs the Sapphire crystal used in the Watch and Edition watches.

Finding the balance for the majority of users is never easy, making cheap shots an eventuality and certainty. It appears that Samsung opted for shatter resistance over scratch resistance. Damned if they do... etc.

It's a side effect of making phones thinner and thinner. If they bend more easily, the screen is more likely to shatter. If that phone is dropped, the screen is more likely to shatter. So the glass formula is adjusted accordingly.

But nobody can please all of the people all of the time. Like the video says, get a screen protector. This thread is probably 50 posts too long, maybe 55.

Kilroy238cnocbui
  • Reply 55 of 70
    Soli said:
    It looks and feels cheap, but I have doubts that any usage within the wide spectrum of "normal" would wear it down to the point that it wouldn't register your thumb print. What he did with the tool was severely abnormal. Glass better? Obviously. Plastic home button usable for the life of the phone? I'd think so.

What's more egregious is the display, which will easily show scratches and be less appealing to the user in short order.
    All the blah blah blah about the design and they use plastic. The fact in in itself is enough for me.
  • Reply 56 of 70
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:

All the blah blah blah about the design and they use plastic. The fact in in itself is enough for me.
    Why can't design include plastics? I can't think of a single tech purchase that doesn't include plastic in some repsect. There are a shitload of major reasons why an Android user shouldn't upgrade to the Galaxy Note 7, but the fucking home button isn't one of them.
    edited August 2016 cnocbui
  • Reply 57 of 70
    Soli said:

Don't buy one.  Don't buy an iPhone 5C either.  My MBPR has plastic keys and feet and the hinge cover and the apple logo on the lid.  I personally don't think those diminish its quality.
    singularity
  • Reply 58 of 70
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member

cali said:

revenant said:

would you like to provide a link showing how stupid, poor, sick and desperate these people are- and is this peer reviewed (doubtful)? a less wealthy person might be considered wise for saving money and buying a cheaper phone. And I am not wrong- the evidence is there. There are plenty of PHD holders using android- they are clearly stupid, poor, sick, desperate, etc, in your eyes, keep your head in the dirt.
    singularity
  • Reply 59 of 70
    cnocbui said:
    sog35 said:

<image removed/>

<image removed/>

Let me get this straight. You're comparing the condition of a used phone to a used cord? That's like comparing the condition of a 6 year old used car to a 6 year old used tire.
    dws-2revenantDeelron
  • Reply 60 of 70
    malloci said:
    cnocbui said:

<image removed/>

<image removed/>

Let me get this straight. You're comparing the condition of a used phone to a used cord? That's like comparing the condition of a 6 year old used car to a 6 year old used tire.
    No.
    Soli