Barbra Streisand says 'Sept. 30' iOS update will fix Siri's pronunciation of her name

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

pkwi said:
    These people sing a couple swoony songs then end up squatting on piles of cash for the rest of their lives, buying whatever strikes their fancy, including a direct line to Tim Cook? It's a spectacular fluke of capitalism and effective marketing... a magic loophole. She found it, wow. But how she and these other mega rich manage to HOLD ON to their hundreds of millions while scores of people suffer, crippled by poverty, is the true spectacle. What messed-up, crooked, out-of-touch lunatics these barons are.
    eh, if you put out some mass market hits you'll earn a mass market living, too. 
    dewmeai46cali
  • Reply 22 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'll sleep better now.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    I'll sleep better now.

Or:

dasanman69
  • Reply 24 of 42
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Soli said:
    Entitlement. Egotistical. Narcissistic.

I'm sure those are the first words to go through many readers' heads when they read about a celebrity requesting something, no matter how minor; yet I wonder how many of those same people are always fine when their name is incorrectly pronounced (or spelled).

I'm not even sure how Siri pronounces my name, and don't really care.  Why does it matter?

That being said, I can understand how some people would care, such as a celebrity, where their name is part of their brand and marketing.

I'm pretty happy with Siri.  It's clear to me that Apple has an increasing focus on Siri, which also makes me happy.  I see Siri as an interface through which I can perform certain actions, not as a "personality" designed to stole my ego.
    cali
  • Reply 25 of 42
    And now everyone is going to enjoy their phones mispronouncing her name, creating Streisand Effect 2016. 

She's either brilliant or stupid. Can't decide.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Great!!

Can't wait for this iOS 10 feature!!!
  • Reply 27 of 42
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    roake said:
    Soli said:

I'm sure those are the first words to go through many readers' heads when they read about a celebrity requesting something, no matter how minor; yet I wonder how many of those same people are always fine when their name is incorrectly pronounced (or spelled).

I'm not even sure how Siri pronounces my name, and don't really care.  Why does it matter?

That being said, I can understand how some people would care, such as a celebrity, where their name is part of their brand and marketing.

I'm pretty happy with Siri.  It's clear to me that Apple has an increasing focus on Siri, which also makes me happy.  I see Siri as an interface through which I can perform certain actions, not as a "personality" designed to stole my ego.
    I have no real complaints for Siri, but I'm sure I use it less often or  or for certain tasks that it stumbled over too many times over the years. My Amazon Echo gets used a lot more often and with a greater range of requests in that regard.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    What I want to know is how many times 3 people in the world ask Siri ANYTHING about Streisand?

Wait, her parents are deceased.  That makes only 1.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    My Siri pronounces " Barbara the Bitch" just fine. Mine must already have update. 
    buzdots
  • Reply 30 of 42

pkwi said:
    These people sing a couple swoony songs then end up squatting on piles of cash for the rest of their lives, buying whatever strikes their fancy, including a direct line to Tim Cook? It's a spectacular fluke of capitalism and effective marketing... a magic loophole. She found it, wow. But how she and these other mega rich manage to HOLD ON to their hundreds of millions while scores of people suffer, crippled by poverty, is the true spectacle. What messed-up, crooked, out-of-touch lunatics these barons are.
    eh, if you put out some mass market hits you'll earn a mass market living, too. 
    No difficultly understanding the math.  You're missing the point.  The curiosity I have is in what drives these lottery winners from holding on to the cash past ~$20 mil.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    holyone said:
    Because she's entitled. 
    Why does she have Tim's number?
    I hate to be stereotypical but Barbara Streisand is popular with gay men of a certain age bracket, so it's entirely possible that she has his number. 
    I see, friends in high places then
  • Reply 32 of 42
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Soli said:

I agree. It bothers me every time my last name is mispronounced when I am calling a family member, especially after the 10th time I have "taught" Siri how to pronounce it. If I had Tim Cook's number, I would call him too. I know every person in this thread that made a snide comment would too.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Yes, Apple should always be improving Siri’s pronunciation ranges, but this has also always existed.

I have to use it for my last name, even, because there are something like five spellings and two possible pronunciations thereof. Not a big deal.

• Reply 34 of 42
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Because she's entitled. 
    It far cheaper than when Apple was giving the gold watch away.  It probably fixes the pronunciation for other people named straisand.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    holyone said:
    Because she's entitled. 
    Why does she have Tim's number?
    Barbara Streisand has many gay fans and both are Democratic supporters.   Maybe Tim went to on of the fund raisers where Babs sings.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    How about fixing Safari so we can control auto-play of videos? Thank Tim!
    tallest skil
  • Reply 37 of 42
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Arrogant, narcissistic stuck-up *****
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Yes, Apple should always be improving Siri’s pronunciation ranges, but this has also always existed.

I have to use it for my last name, even, because there are something like five spellings and two possible pronunciations thereof. Not a big deal.

How difficult is it for Siri to say "skil"?!!
    tallest skil
  • Reply 39 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    How difficult is it for Siri to say "skil"?!!
    I tell her to call my mother and she gives me the number listed here, oy! What’s a drill to do!
  • Reply 40 of 42
      'For starters, are all Streisands pronounced 'Streizand'?
    ^ This is surely the key point.

If Barbara Streisand the singer wants her name pronounced StreiZand, why not spell it Streizand? Otherwise pronouncing it StreiSand should be perfectly reasonable and understandable. As mentioned previously, other people with last name Streisand may well pronounce it StreiSand themselves!

I wonder if one of her ancestors changed the name at some point and didn't quite get the difference between the 'z' and 's' sounds.

Of course, there is the possibility Tim Cook's response to her was tongue-in-cheek.

I have her 'Second' album, and her voice is sublime.
    edited August 2016