Apple may launch three new iPhones in 2017, limiting curved OLED to one model - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2016
Apple is preparing not two but three new iPhone models for 2017, the third of which will have a curved OLED screen similar to the Edge versions of Samsung's Galaxy phones, a report claimed on Monday.

"There will be a 4.7-inch model, another that will be 5.5-inches and a premium handset that will be either 5.5-inches or larger equipped with a screen bent on the two sides," a source told Japan's Nikkei. The first two models are expected to stick to flat screens.

The person didn't specifically mention OLED technology, but making a curved screen effectively requires it -- the Galaxy S7 Edge uses a Super AMOLED panel. It's not clear whether the other two iPhones will sport OLED or continue to rely on more conventional LTPS (low-temperature poly-silicon) panels.

The latter view is supported by David Hsieh, a senior director at IHS DisplaySearch reached by Nikkei. He also backed the idea that Samsung will be Apple's lone OLED supplier, even though it may not be able to meet demands for both Apple and itself.

Although now largely discounted, a number of earlier rumors suggested that this year's "iPhone 7" might come in three versions -- standard, "Plus," and "Pro." The last would allegedly have perks like a Smart Connector.

2017 iPhone models have been hinted as having edge-to-edge displays, possibly integrating Touch ID and camera components in a major redesign.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    they'll only do this if there's a compelling reason to. 
    calidoozydozenlolliverjustadcomicspscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 47
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Exactly.. it's likely only something on the drawing board, like hundreds of other idea's. Until it's out, it's not even rumor, just speculation.
    justadcomics
  • Reply 3 of 47

Rumor mongers need to get a clue.  It's like you and MxxRumorx.com don't understand the industry.

Apple designs and builds multiple models that are candidates for the phones it releases.

It didn't "cancel" a pro version this year, it just built multiple models in case it has to fall back due to a component being delayed.

When it knows what it can ship at volume and quality, that's what it decides as the model configurations.
    edited August 2016 TurboPGTDeelronlolliver
  • Reply 4 of 47
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    If only be ok with this if thy included touch dead zones at those curves. That way you can still hold your phone without accidentally triggering touch events. 
    welshdogTurboPGTDeelrondoozydozenlolliverjustadcomicschia
  • Reply 5 of 47
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Gimmick. What actual productive reason is there for a curved screen (on the edges like Shamesung)? I've seen it, played with it. I actually find it annoying since the images get distorted along the edges, eww. I hope Apple does NOT do a "me too" product like this. If Apple were to do some type of curved screen, they'd need to go above and beyond, like wrap it all the way around the phone. Still, not sure what would be useful or practical about that either. And, they would also need to figure out some way to compensate for the bent images due to the curved glass.
    calialbegarcTurboPGTDeelrondoozydozenlolliverpscooter63chia
  • Reply 6 of 47
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Besides being a useless gimmick, what benefit is there to having a curved screen like that? It seems like an inconvenience.

Just because something can be done, that doesn't mean that it should be done.

I remember back when ALL displays were curved, in the days when CRT displays were used. 

Then LED came on to the scene, and then all displays became flat.

Now displays are getting curved again. Somebody must've gotten bored with 100% flat displays.

I'll stick with flat displays, thank you very much. You can keep your curved TVs, your curved phones and your curved, warped thinking.

Do these sick people also have curved, deformed penises? What a bunch of freaks.
    bill42schlackcalimacseekerDeelronpscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 47
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    I want to release my own rumor, that I just came up with.

Apple will release the "iPhone Retro".
    It will be a cube with a rounded CRT screen and the resolution will be reduced to blurred 640x480 pixels and the refresh rate will be interlaced 30 frames/sec so it will always flicker. Noise and static will be added every few seconds until you move it around just right to clear up the picture.
    edited August 2016 caliJessiReturnsDeelrondoozydozenjustadcomics
  • Reply 8 of 47
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Every week iPhone 7se looks different(according to rumors). 
  • Reply 9 of 47
    bill42 said:

It will be a cube with a rounded CRT screen and the resolution will be reduced to blurred 640x480 pixels and the refresh rate will be interlaced 30 frames/sec so it will always flicker. Noise and static will be added every few seconds until you move it around just right to clear up the picture.
    This just in from the wires-- due to Tim Cook failing at being Steve Jobs, the iPhone Retro has been cancelled in yet another blow to the beleaguered company.  Despite having never been announced ,rumors out of the orient says that Apple really was going to make them, and planned to sell them this fall.  Who knows what they will find to replace it.  Apple stock is down %0.34 on the news.
    Deelrondoozydozenjustadcomics
  • Reply 10 of 47
    I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you, that this "report" didn't come from a well-connected analyst....
    realjustinlongjustadcomicspscooter63chia
  • Reply 11 of 47
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I agree with questions regarding the need or practicality of the curved edges.  It increases the chances of screen damage, it increases the incidence of fumbling and dropping the phone, it distorts the display content, it limits case options and decreses the protection they can offer, probably makes for a less stiff and strong chassis/frame and if it adds needed functionality I would like to know how.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. 
    albegarcdoozydozenlolliverjustadcomics
  • Reply 12 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mytdave said:
    Gimmick. What actual productive reason is there for a curved screen (on the edges like Shamesung)? I've seen it, played with it. I actually find it annoying since the images get distorted along the edges, eww. I hope Apple does NOT do a "me too" product like this. If Apple were to do some type of curved screen, they'd need to go above and beyond, like wrap it all the way around the phone. Still, not sure what would be useful or practical about that either. And, they would also need to figure out some way to compensate for the bent images due to the curved glass.
    I had assumed it was a pretty much useless feature too...
    Until the property owner had stopped by one day last week sporting an Edge model. I asked how useful the small side notifications were and he replied he found it incredibly so, relying on it several times a day since email, message, call etc notifications displayed no matter whether he had it face down or in it's case. 

EDIT: Here's an article on using the Edge for notifications and such.
    http://www.guidingtech.com/41574/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-tips/
    edited August 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 47
    I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you, that this "report" didn't come from a well-connected analyst....
    Same. I saw "Breaking" and assumed Ming-Chi had just reported the toppings he'd had with his omelette this morning. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 47
    In other news, there is speculation around a possible bunny-shaped smartphone in 2017, to be followed in 2018 by a larger iZoo collection of phone shapes.  Stay tuned as we monitor the rumor pipeline for more updates.  And keep those clicks coming!
    baconstangDeelrondoozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    LOL. No.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    Thankfully there'll never be one. I do hope Jony's beating in the strong principles of need driven innovation into his team and its descendents, it would be a shame that when the people who've been at apple since SJ finally retire or leave that all that goes with them I think it'll be even more vital in the decades to come
    baconstangdoozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 47
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    bill42 said:

Release Date pleeeeese;)
    ehtom825
  • Reply 18 of 47
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I don't get the fascination from other companies with curved screens. The Edge series by Samsung is useless and looks ridiculous. I played around with my friends Edge and I don't see how a curved edge is useful. When you are browsing websites or looking at pictures, it cuts off at the edge so you don't see the full picture or website. Really annoying. Curved TV's are also pointless for home use. I know theaters have been using curved screens for years, but those are huge. Curved screen sizes for home use look no more immersive than flat screens. 
    nolamacguybaconstangDeelronlolliverdoozydozenjustadcomics
  • Reply 19 of 47
    zaphzaph Posts: 1member
    Oh look, a headphone jack, how quaint, how useful. Perhaps Apple will follow Samsung's lead in 2017.
    edited August 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 20 of 47
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    No value of whatsoever, therefore: load of bollocks.