Samsung to shut down Milk Music streaming service in September

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2016
Samsung on Monday announced it will officially end Milk Music streaming services in September, bringing an end to the company's in-house product that launched in the U.S. only two years ago.

Samsung has decided to "invest in a partner model" as it looks to integrate third-party music services into its lineup of Galaxy devices, the company said in a statement.

"We believe that working with partners will accelerate innovation, enhance device sales and provide amazing new experiences for our customers," Samsung said.

Milk Music launched in 2014 as a streaming service exclusive to Samsung devices. The company later tacked on Milk Video and Milk VR to round out the brand's multimedia offering, but the platforms failed to gain traction. Milk Video died in 2015 and when Milk Music shuts down next month, Milk VR will be the lone survivor.

Earlier this year, reports suggested Samsung was looking to offload Milk Music after seeing poor subscriber numbers and low returns on significant investments.

At the time, the Korean company was said to be planning an exit strategy involving a tie-up with Tidal, the upstart streaming service owned by rapper Jay-Z. A Samsung representative later told AppleInsider that those rumors were false.

Underscoring the intense competition facing streaming industry rivals, Tidal is now rumored to be in "exploratory talks" with Apple over a potential acquisition. As it stands, Apple Music is one of only three major providers to see success in streaming, the other two being Pandora and market leader Spotify.

Samsung's Milk Music will cease operations on Sept. 22.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    What? Sammy's not copying Apple on this one?
    electrotechstanthemancanadiandude
  • Reply 2 of 33
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Yeah, when I think music, I think Samsung. Not. 
    baconstanglostkiwielectrotechcanadiandudejbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Adam Levine(Maroon 5) might have to pull his iPhone from the ashes I guess...

The video seems to have been taken down where he states he's gonna have "a ceremonial iPhone burning" during the Milk Music reveal.

Poor guy probably regrets it...

JK he later tweeted from an iPhone ;)

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-endorser-adam-levine-tweets-from-iphone/#!
    EsquireCatselectrotechjahblade
  • Reply 4 of 33
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    Shoot! I have like 4000 songs on Milk musing I need to transfer... Says no one ever
    edited August 2016 calilostkiwielectrotechjbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 33
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Bit-by-bit Samsung realises it's not Apple.
    calilostkiwielectrotechnetmagepscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    This. 

You walk into an exam knowing full well that you haven't done any prep. Not to worry though; you have a cunning plan. You're going to sit by the smartest guy in the class and copy bits of his paper. You know that he writes more slowly  than you because he's a bit of a thinker; you reckon you can just snatch a few paragraphs here and there and cobble together a decent paper, even if your writing styles are completely different. Along the way, you can make your paper look more original by adding fluff that hasn't really got anything to do with the subject at hand, but  should be enough to impress the examiners. 

You are shocked when you score an 'F'. 
    calielectrotechkevin keestanthemanpscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I guess only Sammy is crying over spilled Milk. 
    calilostkiwikevin keejbdragonjahblade
  • Reply 8 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Where are all the doom articles about Sammys Apple Music competitor shutting down?
    lostkiwielectrotech
  • Reply 9 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Another Samsung Success Story™.
    electrotechcalilatifbp
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Another Samsung Success Story™.

I like this to be an acronym for everything Samsung does - ASSS!
    caliSpamSandwichnolamacguylatifbp
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Rayz2016 said:
    This. 

You walk into an exam knowing full well that you haven't done any prep. Not to worry though; you have a cunning plan. You're going to sit by the smartest guy in the class and copy bits of his paper. You know that he writes more slowly  than you because he's a bit of a thinker; you reckon you can just snatch a few paragraphs here and there and cobble together a decent paper, even if your writing styles are completely different. Along the way, you can make your paper look more original by adding fluff that hasn't really got anything to do with the subject at hand, but  should be enough to impress the examiners. 

You're revising history again. When did Apple Music launch? When did Milk Music launch? Samsung wasn't competing with Apple, it was trying to cut into the share of the market leader - Spotify, or the default option, Google. Everything Samsung does is in terms of services is to reduce reliance on Android.

Your analogy is wrong. Apple isn't doing well on the test because it has the best ideas, it is eating into Spotify because it owns the platform. It copies as much as Samsung does.
    croprsingularity
  • Reply 12 of 33
    I didn't even realize that Samsung had a streaming music service.
    linkmannetmagexmhillxcalizoetmb
  • Reply 13 of 33
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    I didn't even realize that Samsung had a streaming music service.
    Exactly. This is one of those instances where they turn something off and nobody notices that it no longer works.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    “This is a direct result of Apple’s anti-competitive behavior.”  said Elizabeth Warren when asked if she had ever heard of Milk.
    latifbp
  • Reply 15 of 33
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Rayz2016 said:
    This. 

You're revising history again. When did Apple Music launch? When did Milk Music launch? Samsung wasn't competing with Apple, it was trying to cut into the share of the market leader - Spotify, or the default option, Google. Everything Samsung does is in terms of services is to reduce reliance on Android.

Your analogy is wrong. Apple isn't doing well on the test because it has the best ideas, it is eating into Spotify because it owns the platform. It copies as much as Samsung does.

I am sorry you completely missed his point and what Rayz said was actually kind of funny and describes the situation exactly. People who copy tend to loose in the end are completely surprise when they do loose.
    netmagepscooter63cali
  • Reply 16 of 33
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    One of its biggest problems (besides the obvious): the name. What the hell sort of brand name is "Milk"? This is like when Kevin Rose named a social App 'Oink'. What was the project that came out of again?

Oh that's right, his Startup Lab named...Milk.

Well...I'll be damned.
    edited August 2016 dysamoriapscooter63
  • Reply 17 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    jensonb said:
    One of its biggest problems (besides the obvious): the name. What the hell sort of brand name is "Milk"?
    It must be an Asian thing. Translations between English and Korean, Chinese, Japanese, etc. must often get mangled somehow. Asian games, advertisements, comics, animations come across as “WTF” when it comes to naming. Anybody remember “All your bases are belong to us”?
    cali
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Oh no, Milk is shutting down. What about the current users? Both of them are going to be pretty upset about it!
    jakeblatifbp
  • Reply 19 of 33
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    lkrupp said:
    jensonb said:
    One of its biggest problems (besides the obvious): the name. What the hell sort of brand name is "Milk"?
    It must be an Asian thing. Translations between English and Korean, Chinese, Japanese, etc. must often get mangled somehow. Asian games, advertisements, comics, animations come across as “WTF” when it comes to naming. Anybody remember “All your bases are belong to us”?
    The "all your base" thing is bad translation. The "Milk" thing is likely cultural misunderstanding (by which party, I don't know).  
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Oh no, Milk is shutting down. What about the current users? Both of them are going to be pretty upset about it!
    cali