Apple issues 7th developer & 6th public betas of iOS 10 as final launch approaches

Posted:
in iPhone
With iOS 10 expected to launch in just a matter of weeks, registered developers were provided with a seventh pre-release beta of the upcoming platform update on Friday, and public testers received their sixth release.

The unexpected launch comes just four days after the sixth developer beta of iOS 10 was released. Friday's iOS 10 beta 7 is identified as build 14A5345a.

The quick turnaround for the latest beta could be an indication that Apple discovered -- and quickly squashed -- a show-stopping bug in iOS 10 beta 6. New beta releases typically arrive earlier in the week, on a Monday or Tuesday.

Apple is expected to hold a media event on Sept. 7 to announce its next-generation "iPhone 7." If the company sticks to its usual release schedule, a golden master of iOS 10 will arrive that same day, with a final public release soon after.

Also scheduled to be released this fall are watchOS 3, tvOS 10, and macOS Sierra. It's possible that all four platforms could be updated at the same time, though new betas of the non-iOS operating systems were not issued Friday.

When it officially launches, iOS 10 will include major notification improvements, including 3D Touch support on the lock screen. Third-party app developers will also be able to tap into Siri for voice control.

Apple's core iOS apps are also seeing overhauls in the update, especially Messages, which will gain expressive texts and even its own dedicated App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I hope the show-stopping bug isn't what was making battery life begin to be tolerable again on 6/6S Plus devices...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Yes my battery went from 100% at 7am to 4% by 12:15pm. NOT GOOD
    And it was just sitting in my pocket.  No APPs open.  "Raise to start" option turned off
    I literally sent a screen shot to engineering 3 every 15 minutes showing how quickly it was dying.

Lets hope it fixes it.
    edited August 2016 brian greenbdkennedy1002
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Only one data point, but I've had no power drain issues at all with any of the iOS 10 beta releases. iPhone 6 Plus.
    edited August 2016 lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 9
    it did not fix crashing in Good email by blackberry.....
  • Reply 5 of 9
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    it did not fix crashing in Good email by blackberry.....
    Maybe the problem is the blackberry app that's not adapted to IOS 10.... IF your running with the IOS 9 app.
    It's not Apple's responsibility to fix Blackberry's app.
    williamlondonlolliver
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    One fix is search in Music app. Before fix when you selected search for Apple Music the keyboard didn't come up. After the update it's working. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    dewme said:
    Only one data point, but I've had no power drain issues at all with any of the iOS 10 beta releases. iPhone 6 Plus.
    Same here. Excellent battery life on the iPhone 6 Plus starting around Beta 3. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 9
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I assume (LOL) that everybody who's having a problem with the betas has been reporting them. 

PB6 is working very well on my 5s.  I don't really care what apps aren't playing well with it as long as they aren't Apple apps. Once the Official Release ships, devs can update their apps. Some may have been doing so all along, but they aren't releasing them, I don't think.

Only when devs ship updates will we know to blame Apple, them, of both. WTH, let's blame them both anyway. It's not like we should be objective or anything.

lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 9
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    on 6s plus i feel that recent beta is faster than 9 with good battery life.  no reason not to use at this point.