Pyle launches low-end attack on GoPro with iPhone- & Apple Watch-connected $80 4K camera

Posted:
in iPhone
The newest affordable action camera from electronics maker Pyle Audio captures 4K video at 120 frames per second, along with offering iOS connectivity and an array of mounting accessories.

The Pyle High Speed 4K HD Action Camera captures still pictures at 16-megapixel resolution with a 4x zoom. Both single shots and video recording features and settings are controlled through a two-inch touch screen, and can also be remotely operated by Wi-Fi remote or iOS app.

Images and video are captured to a MicroSD slot capable of addressing up to 32 gigabytes of storage.

Also included with the camera are a waterproof case, a wireless remote control, a handlebar mount, a universal base mount, a removable rechargeable battery, an adjustable support clip. The camera appears to have the same dimensions as competitive action cameras from GoPro and other vendors.

The free ">XDV app for iOS devices and the Apple Watch control requires iOS 7.1 or later, and occupies 24.8MB of device storage space. It allows users to watch HD footage live as it records, control the camera's recording options, and perform rudimentary video editing on an iPhone or iPad.

After the action camera format was pioneered by GoPro, dozens of companies have joined the fray, selling rugged cameras for sports and outdoor enthusiasts. The glut of options have pushed prices and margins downward, forcing GoPro to lay off staff and rethink its strategy.

Earlier this summer, another GoPro competitor with an integrated LTE radio for live streaming on the go was launched by startup camera maker Sioeye. Unlike Pyle's new budget-focused product, the Sioeye targets the premium end of the market with a $429 price tag.

Pyle's High Speed 4K HD Action Camera retails for $80, and is available now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Is this the one on Amazon with weak reviews selling for $30 in this color and about $50 in some other colors? The weak review level frightens me. Looks to be the same thing. ? Pyle PSCHD60BL Hi-Speed HD 1080P Action Camera Hi-Res Digital Camera / Camcorder with Full HD Video, 12.0 Mega Pixel Camera, 2.4-Inch Touch Screen (Blue)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    msaarmsaar Posts: 1member
    Just a note:

It doesn't record 4K at 120fps, only 25fps. The 120fps option is only for 720p recording. 

From their manual, here is the list of all supported video resolutions:
    3200*1800 25fps/2688*1520 30fps / 1920*1080 60fps /1920*1080 30fps /1280*720 120fps /1280*720 60fps /1280*720 30fps
    SpamSandwichpscooter63fastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 11
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Just another crap GoPro knockoff. 
  • Reply 4 of 11
    kiowavt said:
    Is this the one on Amazon with weak reviews selling for $30 in this color and about $50 in some other colors? The weak review level frightens me. Looks to be the same thing. ? Pyle PSCHD60BL Hi-Speed HD 1080P Action Camera Hi-Res Digital Camera / Camcorder with Full HD Video, 12.0 Mega Pixel Camera, 2.4-Inch Touch Screen (Blue)
    Following the link to the Pyle website, the model number appears to be different than the one you posted:  SLDV4KBL
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mdjcmmdjcm Posts: 29member
    I don't mind competition, but do they have to rip off Go Pro's styling so much?? All they did was change colour.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Cheap China made GoPro knockoff.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    Cheap China made GoPro knockoff.
    Yes, I'd rather have a not-cheap GoPro made in China.
    fastasleepelijahgMike Wuerthele
  • Reply 8 of 11
    go pro knockoffs have to have the same shape and button locations because of the robust accessories market.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    mdjcm said:
    I don't mind competition, but do they have to rip off Go Pro's styling so much?? All they did was change colour.
    They do it so that most of the GoPro accessories would be compatible
  • Reply 10 of 11
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    A lot of decent competitive action cameras have been poor sellers because of a lack of accessories and mounts. I have a very tough waterproof camera that I consider to be quite nice, but I've found it useless for my Jet Ski videos because there is nothing decent to mount it with (and keep it from sinking).
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Trash. Contour and Drift are the best GoBro alternatives. This thing looks like it will break in about 2 hours of use.