Tim Cook's fundraiser for presidential candidate Hillary Clinton set for tonight

Posted:
in General Discussion
Later on Wednesday, Apple chief Tim Cook will reportedly host a fundraiser for Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, who so far has more support among Silicon Valley workers and executives than her Republican rival, Donald Trump.

Although its location isn't public, the event is being co-hosted by Lisa Jackson, Apple's VP of environment, policy and social initiatives,. Tickets are thought to be going for between $2,700 and $50,000, with proceeds going to the Hillary Victory Fund, as was first reported back in July.

The money raised will in turn be split between Clinton's campaign, the Democratic National Committee, and Democrat operations in 38 states.

Clinton is in the middle of a fundraising blitz which started last week in Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard. The Cook event is in fact just one of two taking place today, the other being at the Palo Alto home of IAS CEO Amy Rao.

Although Cook hosted a similar fundraiser for Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan in June -- looking to court both sides of the aisle -- the CEO's political affiliations are known to lean more toward the Democrats, at least on some stances like civil rights and the environment.

Cook and Silicon Valley in general have swung heavily in favor of the Democrats this election cycle, owing mostly to strong opposition to Trump. The business magnate has made numerous controversial statements, and called for policies like new ideological tests for immigrants, aimed explicitly at Muslims.

Trump has even criticized Apple directly, in one case for refusing to help the FBI unlock the iPhone of San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook. Apple argued that it would've had to write new software and fundamentally undermine iOS security. Trump proposed a boycott, despite owning Apple stock himself.

The candidate has also promised to make Apple bring more of its manufacturing back to the U.S. Most of the company's products are assembled in China, taking advantage of cheap labor costs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    oh lord
    cully
  • Reply 2 of 63
    I plan to vote for Hillary, so my next comment is not bashing her: it's curious that someone as wealthy as Cook supports Hillary when she is very open about plans to increase taxes on the rich. I guess Cook's motivation is driven by looking at the alternative to Hillary... and deciding that scenario would be much worse (not necessarily in terms of tax policy).
    Roger_FingasDeelron
  • Reply 3 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    I plan to vote for Hillary, so my next comment is not bashing her: it's curious that someone as wealthy as Cook supports Hillary when she is very open about plans to increase taxes on the rich. I guess Cook's motivation is driven by looking at the alternative to Hillary... and deciding that scenario would be much worse (not necessarily in terms of tax policy).
    Lesser of two evils then?

Revelations that Hillary has been mixing her Clinton Foundation business with State Department meetings doesn't look good so I would hope Mr Cook (and Apple) aren't contributors to the Foundation as well as it leaves the impression of "special access" for the wealthy if they'll just toss some money the Clinton's way. 
    bighodar
  • Reply 4 of 63
    We're screwed with either choice this election (and deservedly so), so I don't even care at this point. Tim's likely just buying protection for Apple. 
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Neither candidate is ideal and Tim Cook should have just stayed out of it.  I hate the idea that my money is going to support Hillary, and yes, I would feel the same if it were trump!
    cullygrkorsgardRoger_Fingasfotoformatbighodar
  • Reply 6 of 63
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Obviously Tim is a democrat so this isn't surprising. My guess is his fundraiser for Paul Ryan was more political whereas this one is personal.
    big
  • Reply 7 of 63
    Either way, vote Clinton or Trump votes are merely a public affirmation that you're a partisan idiot.  

Just do the right thing in November and vote Libertarian.  Everybody needs more Johnson.

I won't bother to get into his pretty remarkable record in Mew Mexico as a legislator, nor the fact he might be the only living politician who has ever effectively balanced a budget.

All you need to know are these advantages over Hillary and The Donald:
    1. He behaves like an adult
    2. He isn't a scumbag
    3. He's not a criminal
    4. He's not an idiot

edited August 2016 robbyxbigJessiReturnsurahara
  • Reply 8 of 63
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    gatorguy said:
    Lesser of two evils then?

Revelations that Hillary has been mixing her Clinton Foundation business with State Department meetings doesn't look good so I would hope Mr Cook (and Apple) aren't contributors to the Foundation as well as it leaves the impression of "special access" for the wealthy if they'll just toss some money the Clinton's way. 
    Because such logic is worked well for America so far. I can't in good conscience vote for either candidate. We have a population of 319 million people and this is the best we can offer, very disappointing.

We're screwed with either choice this election (and deservedly so), so I don't even care at this point. Tim's likely just buying protection for Apple. 

I agree we are screwed either way. The American middle class will be crushed from both sides.

bighodar
  • Reply 9 of 63
    So the Trump America brings back all the manufacturing from China. So far all well and good.
    Howerver the costs of making stuff in the USA is far higher than in China. So the Factory gate price of every widget will rise.
    Salaries won't rise in anywhere near the rise in Factory Gate prices

How, in Trump's Idil, will the average worker be able to afford anything. Price inflation would be IMHO pushing 10%.
    The Unions would go out on strike.
    Factories would close because they can't sell anything. PEople would lose their jobs.

What price elexting Trump then?

I don't have a vote come November because I'm not in th USA but watching a documentary on TV last night about him it got really scary.
    He is appealing to White Lower and Lower middle class voters. He does seem to be alienating pretty well everyone else. That is even scarier.

bigParalysis
  • Reply 10 of 63
    Fortunately, there aren't enough white trash folks who can find their way to the polling place, so I think we're safe.
    ai46bigstourqueMacPro
  • Reply 11 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    There are plenty of extremely wealthy democrats. The vast majority of wealth in this country is in blue states. 
    hodar
  • Reply 12 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    So the Trump America brings back all the manufacturing from China. So far all well and good.
    Howerver the costs of making stuff in the USA is far higher than in China. So the Factory gate price of every widget will rise.
    Salaries won't rise in anywhere near the rise in Factory Gate prices

How, in Trump's Idil, will the average worker be able to afford anything. Price inflation would be IMHO pushing 10%.
    The Unions would go out on strike.
    Factories would close because they can't sell anything. PEople would lose their jobs.

What price elexting Trump then?

I don't have a vote come November because I'm not in th USA but watching a documentary on TV last night about him it got really scary.
    He is appealing to White Lower and Lower middle class voters. He does seem to be alienating pretty well everyone else. That is even scarier.

He has played the economic anxiety card perfectly. 
  • Reply 13 of 63
    It's no secret why Tim Cook might support Hillary over Trump. Unlike Trump, Hillary has not stated that she wants to start a trade war with China. Hillary has also not called for a boycott of Apple's products unless they are manufactured in the US. Finally, I am sure Tim Cook simply prefers Hillary's experience, calm demeanor, and smarts to the alternative...  
    cnocbuistourque
  • Reply 14 of 63
    Really?   Did Mr. Cook look at Hilary's campaign. Most of the Middle East countries have given her money. They countries put gays to death and treat woman as  properties. He should be more concern that Samsung is making a better phone and the iPhone 7 seems to have nothing new. 
    hodar
  • Reply 15 of 63
    There are plenty of extremely wealthy democrats. The vast majority of wealth in this country is in blue states. 
    Much of it generated through government graft and taxes. 
    JessiReturns
  • Reply 16 of 63
    I can't sit here and say I am a huge fan of either candidate. We all know that Clinton has done some very bad things and we are just going to overlook them because some don't like Trump. What is this world coming to? I would rather have someone I don't care for but is smart and not a crook with a solid moral compass than Hilary. I still think this country is great but is in a desperate need of a reset.
    bighodar
  • Reply 17 of 63
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Supporting a congenital liar and a felon. Very disappointed Tim.
    JessiReturnshodar
  • Reply 18 of 63
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I hate having to choose between the lessor of two evils. Why can't we vote for who would be the best and not least worst president. 

Vote third party. Frak it, I'm voting for The Rock. 
    bighodar
  • Reply 19 of 63
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    From the rest of the world .... please not Trump!

Thanks
    slprescottbigcnocbuiration altopper24hourskevin kee
  • Reply 20 of 63
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    ...how much of an economy will there be if global warming & 6x destroys the planet, the plains turn to desert & the great lakes are drained beyond repair for drinking water...? I've been impressed with what Stein says, and such would seem to align with the current governance of the longest peaceful shared border to the north...? Let the flames begin... ;)