Apple to take on Snapchat, Facebook in 2017 with new iPhone video editing app - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2016
Apple is said to be looking to tiptoe into the social media space again, both expanding social media sharing within its OS suites, and building a Snapchat-like video and image sharing service for a 2017 launch.

Citing anonymous sources within Apple, Bloomberg reported on Thursday that the new app will run on recent iPhone and iPad releases, and is being developed by the same division that cranked out Final Cut Pro and iMovie.

Currently, the app is said to allow users to record video, apply filters, and send it to contacts or upload for sharing existing networks like Facebook or Twitter -- similar to Snapchat. The design goals are reportedly one-hand use, with the complete process including image capture, editing, and uploading taking less than one minute.

Apple may have hired Joe Weil in December 2015 to helm the service. Weil co-developed the video blogging service KnowMe, and served as the President of advertising prototype company 321 Launch.

Also reportedly underway are evaluations of more social media sharing features for iOS. The same report claims that an expansion of Apple's adaptive assistance functionality that makes suggestions to the user based on location and time of day may grow.

However, any growth of user data sharing is examined by an Apple panel that examines privacy issues with any proposed Apple feature. The privacy panel, as well as development issues may either delay release, or push it back past a projected 2017 release date.

Information surfaced in March that three "privacy czars" must sign off on any product collecting customer data. The group attempts to keep customer data stored on a device rather than on Apple servers, and isolated in categories.

Debates between the three executives on the privacy panel are said to last at least a month, and reportedly have stretched out over a year. Any new social sharing feature implemented by Apple in 2017 would have to be examined by the trio first.

Apple has tried social networking in the past. Apple's Ping was introduced in 2010 as a social way to promote music discovery. Apple CEO Tim Cook killed the product in 2012 with the introduction of iTunes 7.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Apple shouldn't pursue these kinds of things and leave it to third party companies. Apple sucks at creating social apps. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Those Videos will take advantage of the new OLED Displays and look preeeetty aaaamazing on it. That's where all the R&D money went into...I bet 
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Please not Ping 3.0.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 34
    This is where Apple needs to jus copy what others are doing. Most users would prefer to have the features built into iMessage versus going to another app IMO. Skim the key features and call it good.
    latifbpcaliairbubbleawilliams87
  • Reply 5 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ???

You described a video editing application, not a social network.
    xzunolamacguycali
  • Reply 6 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    It's beginning to look as tho any successful mobile app startup with a unique idea has it's days numbered. They'll have the choice to be sucked up by deep-pocketed techs like Facebook, Apple, Google and MS or pushed aside into oblivion by copycat apps that are built-in to that company's devices making the original 3rd party app superfluous for many users. Once Google/Apple, et al decide to mimic a feature where they see some smallish player successful the odds are against 'em.

In a maturing market I guess copycatting should be expected tho. Game app developers copying other game apps, tech's copying each other, China copying the techs...
    New revenue streams become tougher so why reinvent the wheel when someone else already did the hard work. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 7 of 34
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    This is where Apple needs to jus copy what others are doing. Most users would prefer to have the features built into iMessage versus going to another app IMO. Skim the key features and call it good.
    Can't innovate my ass!
  • Reply 8 of 34

sog35 said:
    agree

Its Apple's turn to use other companies as their 'R&D' department.

Make a copy of Youtube, Google Search, Twitter, Facebook, ect.
    Apple is the new Samsung?
  • Reply 9 of 34

sog35 said:
    dacloo said:
    Apple shouldn't pursue these kinds of things and leave it to third party companies. Apple sucks at creating social apps. 
    disagree.

Apple needs to pursue social apps. That will make their ecosystem even stronger. If they can't build it themself they will buy/hire new talent.

This moves looks like they may buy Twitter soon
    Why does Apple need to pursue this? What happened to a thousand noes for every yes?
    cali
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Wow. Is there no one bright enough at Apple to realize this will #failbigtime
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Social? Social is messaging apps + Facebook + YouTube. 

Apple already has their messaging platform, there's nothing more to do in social. 

But why not try it? It's just a app or a service. Why do must users treat things like this as if Apple is putting the company on the line? Wtf? 

Google + I'd dead. Twitter will soon die. So what? Those are big fails. But Apple cab try and Crack social for decades and decades. 

Why not? Anyway, anything social must be cross platform to take off. 

But you guys described a video editing app or some features that could be included on the stock camera app. 
    nolamacguycali
  • Reply 12 of 34
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    This could fit in well with iMessage and iPhoto - which work great. I suspect Apple will use this new app to bring more utility to those apps, not as an attempt to make a separate social platform. 
  • Reply 13 of 34
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Wow. Is there no one bright enough at Apple to realize this will #failbigtime
    is there no one bright enough to realize this is 1) a rumor. 2) describing a media editor that publishes to known social networks and thus isn't a SN of its own?
    edited August 2016 cali
  • Reply 14 of 34

I suspect that Apple has bigger social plans than just editing images/videos and uploading them to FaceBook, Twittwe, etc.
    cali
  • Reply 15 of 34
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    sog35 said:
    dacloo said:
    disagree.

Apple needs to pursue social apps. That will make their ecosystem even stronger. If they can't build it themself they will buy/hire new talent.

This moves looks like they may buy Twitter soon
    Oh God Apple please don't buy Twitter please, there is literally nothing more both wildly overpriced and worthless in equal measure just total garbage, Apple should have bought Twitter back when it was an iOS only app it's too late now with that money they could easily built a new twitter from scratch and then some
    cali
  • Reply 16 of 34
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    gatorguy said:
    It's beginning to look as tho any successful mobile app startup with a unique idea has it's days numbered. They'll have the choice to be sucked up by deep-pocketed techs like Facebook, Apple, Google and MS or pushed aside into oblivion by copycat apps that are built-in to that company's devices making the original 3rd party app superfluous for many users. Once Google/Apple, et al decide to mimic a feature where they see some smallish player successful the odds are against 'em.

In a maturing market I guess copycatting should be expected tho. Game app developers copying other game apps, tech's copying each other, China copying the techs...
    New revenue streams become tougher so why reinvent the wheel when someone else already did the hard work. 
    I fear this will be a failure. Apple copies all the time and I don't really have a problem with that, but I wonder if it would be better for Apple to buy Snapchat or similar, and simply finance development and reap whatever rewards. Let the existing company do their thing. If Apple is wanting in on Social Networks for the money I am not in favour. Snapchat is going to introduce ads which in my view is the beginning of the end. Whatever Apple builds or buys, it should be free, platform agnostic and free of ads.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Great, more tech pandering to narcissists, as if they don't already receive the lion's share of new feature attention.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    The last thing the iPhone needs is another default app. Hopefully this is built into iMessage.
    calilatifbp
  • Reply 19 of 34
    sog35 said:
    The last thing the iPhone needs is another default app. Hopefully this is built into iMessage.
    The more default apps the better.

That means less people using Facebook, Google, ect which data mine and abuse your privacy constantly
    No. We don't need more apps we can't delete. I never use snapchat if this is anything like it it will be of no use to me and I don't want it on my phone. People use those other apps because either the service is better or because they're cross platform and can be used on any device. I swear all you care about is $$. If someone told you Apple could make shit ton of money letting other people put iOS on their hardware you'd be all for it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 34
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    sog35 said:
    The more default apps the better.

That means less people using Facebook, Google, ect which data mine and abuse your privacy constantly
    No. We don't need more apps we can't delete. I never use snapchat if this is anything like it it will be of no use to me and I don't want it on my phone. People use those other apps because either the service is better or because they're cross platform and can be used on any device. I swear all you care about is $$. If someone told you Apple could make shit ton of money letting other people put iOS on their hardware you'd be all for it.
    He has all ready said that. In his mind Apple should liscence iOS to manufactures to make crippled versions. iPhone7, iPhone7 plus and iPhone crap (htc) lol
    cali