Apple suggests five new professional emoji be added to Unicode Standard

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2016
As the Unicode Consortium evaluates a proposed update to emoji standards that includes new Google-recommended characters representing various professions, Apple in August submitted its own suggestion to add another five jobs to the list.

According to Emojipedia, Apple engineer Peter Edberg filed a recommendation to update Unicode's emoji standard to include zero-width joiner (ZWJ) sequences for male and female astronaut, artist, firefighter, judge and pilot professions (PDF link).

ZWJ sequences are non-printing characters that can be used to modify or join two emoji together to form a new character. In the case of professions, the ZWJ sequence joins the common man or woman emoji with an object. For example, a male firefighter emoji incorporates the code sequence "man, firetruck."

Google was first to suggest an expansion of emoji professions in May, with entries like health worker, farmer and technologist headlining the company's list of refinements. The latest draft update for Unicode Emoji 4.0 -- referred to as Unicode Technical Report 51 -- includes 16 professions with support for gendered emoji, making for a total of 32 new characters. Emoji 4.0 also includes new flags, skin tone modifiers and gendered emoji, among other enhancements.

As it stands, the "Emoji ZWJ Sequence: Gendered Role, with object" list includes Health Worker, Judge, Pilot, Farmer, Cook, Student, Singer, Artist, Teacher, Factory Worker, Technologist, Office Worker, Mechanic, Scientist, Astronaut and Firefighter.

The review period for Emoji 4.0, which appends Unicode 9.0, ends in October ahead of a planned release in November. Apple developers and beta testers running iOS 10 already have access to many of the 72 new characters set to debut later this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I think we need to dump about 50% of the emoji. There's too many to search through. Yes, I'm aware that people may use the lesser 50%. I simply don't care.
    edited August 2016 Solitallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 13
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Why are they all yellow?

Is that for people who have hepatitis?

I guess that they should also be represented and they certainly have a right to be represented, for the sake of diversity I guess. 
    urahara
  • Reply 3 of 13
    apple ][ said:
    Why are they all yellow?

I guess that they should also be represented and they certainly have a right to be represented, for the sake of diversity I guess. 
    In the country of Emoji, all of the citizens are a rich yellow color.
    tallest skiluraharadoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 13
    More about emojis??
    must be a slow news day 

• Reply 5 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I think we need to dump about 50% of the emoji. There's too many to search through. Yes, I'm aware that people may use the lesser 50%. I simply don't care.
    1) I don't see what was wrong with the generic faces that display mood. Even the number of moods are excessive.

2) Does anyone actively switch the "skin" tone, outside of minimal experimentation when it was first offered? I certainly don't.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    1) I don't see what was wrong with the generic faces that display mood. Even the number of moods are excessive.

2) Does anyone actively switch the "skin" tone, outside of minimal experimentation when it was first offered? I certainly don't.
    Yup. I switch the skin tones.  The standard ones seem share the same kidney complaint. 
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Rayz2016 said:
    The standard ones seem share the same kidney complaint. 

• Reply 8 of 13
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Oh good. I've lost count of the number of times I have needed an astronaut so I can tell my astronaut friends about these other astronauts.
    tallest skiluraharadoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    How can there be an astronaut emoji without a Rocket Scientist emoji!?

uraharadoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I think Apple is only about Emoji than actual OS  
    urahara
  • Reply 11 of 13
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    apple ][ said:
    Why are they all yellow?

Because if they were white people of color would think they are being biased and vice versa. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Yellow? Big eyes? Might as well make them Minions.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Emoji don't belong in the Unicode Standard because there is no end to them. Unicode just needs an escape character that means "insert next image here". Then the software that renders the string uses this escape to render from a separate list of images to be inserted, similar to the way sprintf works. Come to think of it, most of the control characters can be used for this purpose. Move all the emojis to 32x32 or 64x64 images, or vector graphics.