Apple's iTunes ranks fourth in JD Power satisfaction survey for paid streaming video

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
J.D. Power on Thursday published a new customer satisfaction survey for paid video streaming services, ranking Apple's iTunes below three major competitors.

Apple scored 807 in index ratings, under Netflix's 829, Hulu's 821, and VUDU's 810, the market research firm said. Points were calculated based on responses from 3,928 people between June and July, who were polled about factors like cost, content, ease of use, and customer service.

Speaking to AppleInsider, J.D. Power noted that iTunes did poorly mostly because of complaints about cost and customer service. iTunes only supports purchases and rentals -- while Netflix and Hulu don't offer downloads, subscribers to them can watch anything they have available for less than $10 per month.

Another factor though was content, as Netflix and Hulu have exclusive shows like Stranger Things and The Path. Apple's content library is fairly comprehensive, but limited to what studios and TV networks are willing to provide.

Apple has sometimes been rumored as delving into live TV streaming and/or original programming, but so far the latter has only generated material for Apple Music, and its live TV efforts have been stalled in negotiations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If Apple were to offer a steaming subscription tier like Netflix I would probably be on board. I like iTunes in that I can rent or buy the latest movie releases. I don’t like the fact that my only options are rent/purchase. Netflix may offer on demand streaming but the vast majority of their content is B movies. Rarely do you see a first run movie until months or a year later. If iTunes had all three options rent/buy/subscription streaming I would probably drop Netflix in a heartbeat.
    caliTurboPGT
  • Reply 2 of 22
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    iTunes is complimentary to services like Netflix and HBO Now. 
    mike1Deelronlolliverjay-t1983
  • Reply 3 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Is this another Eddie Cue service?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    This is a ridiculous comparison.  iTunes is not a streaming service, so comparing it to three streaming services is absurd.  I've always found the quality and selection to be excellent.  
    jbdragonmike1Deelronlolliverjay-tbrucemc
  • Reply 5 of 22
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    In my household I use Netflix, Hulu, Plex (TiVo Roamio Plus; Plex streams from a dedicated Mac Mini running Plex server), and iTunes (Apple TV 4th gen). My Roamio Plus is connected wirelessly (and thus my Mac Mini for Plex) and my Apple TV is wired, and iTunes on the ATV definitely has the slowest performance (time to first play, scrubbing, freezing, etc.).  Non-scientific, but still telling. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 6 of 22
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    iTunes movies has been falling behind so bad lately it's sad.

Apple skipped 3D movies, will they do the same for 4K?
    Every other service already offers 4K and many Blu Ray movies offer a 4K movie code for Ultraviolet.

With Apples money every theatre release should come with exclusives. No excuse.

iTunes movies and shows need a complete revamp. I'd like to see "Movies" a 5k standard for Apple devices that down converts depending on what device you're using.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    macxpress said:
    Is this another Eddie Cue service?
    iTunes would be in third if Cue would wear socks to meetings. 
  • Reply 8 of 22
    "Planet of the Apps" will be Apple's ticket to build customer excitement and move up to the #1 position...

... oh, maybe not.
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 9 of 22
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    What a stupid comparison. Comparing iTunes and Vudu makes sense, but not Netflix and Hulu. 
  • Reply 10 of 22
    sog35 said:
    cali said:
    iTunes movies has been falling behind so bad lately it's sad.

Apple skipped 3D movies, will they do the same for 4K?
    Every other service already offers 4K and many Blu Ray movies offer a 4K movie code for Ultraviolet.

With Apples money every theatre release should come with exclusives. No excuse.

iTunes movies and shows need a complete revamp. I'd like to see "Movies" a 5k standard for Apple devices that down converts depending on what device you're using.
    Nobody cares about 3D. 
    Nobody cares about 4k.
    Just stop.
    Okay maybe 1% of the population cares about 3D and 4k.

Not worth Apple's time to go through all that trouble.

Do you know how much bandwidth you need to stream true 4k movies? I'm not talking about fake 4k crap that Netflix is spewing out (which is worse than Bluray quality). Give me a break.
    Given that Apple is a leader in the industry they SHOULD be pushing for high quality 4K streaming. Create some movies using thr iPhone 6S+ and distribute them as a streaming example.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    4K iTunes would be like 5K iMac which does exist. Apple does not always wait for the industry to catch-up they do lead. 12" MacBook uses USBC which even to this day few devices use. iMac 5K the original required a custom timing chip. Original MacBook Pro retina, delivered over a year before there was an integrated graphics card capable of driving the display. Someone needs to take initiative and Apple can certainly drive 4K adoption 
  • Reply 12 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    sog35 said:
    This is dumb. Netflix/Hulu are streaming services.

iTunes is purchasing/rental. So dumb. 

This is like rating a car lease company versus a dearship selling cars.
    True and good analogy.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Selection first, and price second are the only factors that matter. I don't care if it's a rent or a buy (if the price is right) and I don't care if it's a stream or a download (as long as it doesn't buffer while I'm trying to watch). Just so long as you have the content I want and it works when I click play, and I didn't have to sell a kidney to afford it.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Funny, alternate (and similarly inflaming headline)

iTunes BEATS Amazon Video in JD Power Survey

Tiny print: by one point. 
  • Reply 15 of 22
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    So basically this study means Apple is...'Coming For Ya!!'
  • Reply 16 of 22
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Another example of why Apple is hated so much by its competitors,.. It's only a matter of time before Apple shows them: "Your baby is ugly, let me prove it to ya!"
  • Reply 17 of 22
    I am surprised Apple hasn't moved into the streaming video service instead of the streaming music business. They could easily take on the competition and I bet get away with a higher price than Netflix or Hulu does. We have a pair of AppleTV 4's and we watch Netflix more than anything else and I get cable for free.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    sog35 said:

Its not dumb. What you're saying, and what data obviously says, is that renting/leasing/streaming is FAR more popular than owning. iTunes Video is a dead model. No one is buying $19.99 digital movies. Hardly anyone is renting $4.99 digital movies.

And not single soul buying a TV episode for $2.99.

Apple needs needs needs needs a Video Subscription model, like Apple Music, for Video. I'd happily pay $19.99 a month for the entire iTunes catalog of movies and tv shows. Hell yeah I would. The catalog beats the hell out of Netflix and Hulu combined, so a price that about equals both of them combined is fair.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 19 of 22
    TurboPGT said:
    sog35 said:

Its not dumb. What you're saying, and what data obviously says, is that renting/leasing/streaming is FAR more popular than owning. iTunes Video is a dead model. No one is buying $19.99 digital movies. Hardly anyone is renting $4.99 digital movies.

And not single soul buying a TV episode for $2.99.

Apple needs needs needs needs a Video Subscription model, like Apple Music, for Video. I'd happily pay $19.99 a month for the entire iTunes catalog of movies and tv shows. Hell yeah I would. The catalog beats the hell out of Netflix and Hulu combined, so a price that about equals both of them combined is fair.

I think Apple knows this and have been trying to get something in place for this.

I really wish it happens too. There have been so many times when I've seen the latest movies listed on the Apple TV and for an instant, due to my Netfilx reflex, I think of streaming them!

• Reply 20 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iTunes is not a video streaming service. There are no subscriptions for video.
    edited August 2016