How to use your iPhone to see what political affiliation Facebook thinks you have

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    So FaceBook can be used as an intelligence test.  ;)
  • Reply 22 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member
    And while everyone is opting out of targeted ads don't forget WhatsApp who will soon be sharing some user data with Facebook unless you opt out of that too.
    "By coordinating more with Facebook, we’ll be able to do things like track basic metrics about how often people use our services and better fight spam on WhatsApp. And by connecting your phone number with Facebook’s systems, Facebook can offer better friend suggestions and show you more relevant ads if you have an account with them."

The easiest method is to uncheck the OK box when you get the new updated user terms pop-up. Just don't agree to the change. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Don't put your contact data on your phone or Mac in a form they expect or can use.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    Don't put your contact data on your phone or Mac in a form they expect or can use.
    So my iPhone and Mac will never have a correct physical or email address, or phone number? 
  • Reply 25 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jbdragon said:
    No, I'm not a fan of Trump, who is no Republican. At best a RINO. 
    How the hell is Trump a RINO? He's further right than any republican since 1945. And they're further left than any of the Founders would have allowed to be in government without revolting.

I'm… an old timer when it comes to these things.  :p

• Reply 26 of 27
    croprcropr Posts: 1,140member
    What I find strange (perhaps really creepy better describes it) is the section of advertisers that have uploaded my contact information to Facebook: "Review advertisers whose adverts you may see because you're in a contact list they uploaded to Facebook." When in the hell did I give anyone any permission to upload any information to Facebook? I'm so completely careful about that sort of shit, it really bothers me that companies (including Evernote!) have uploaded information about me to another company without my knowing this. How fucking creepy that someone who watches out for this shit is caught out, can you imagine the information they have on Joe and Jane Averagecitizen? It seems to run head long into data protection issues, I say this as someone who worked in my job daily to ensure that data protection laws were respected and honoured so highly there was never any chance of impropriety, let alone outright law breaking. Wow is all I can say.
    The advertiser must have obtained your contact details from another source.  The advertiser cannot get any details from Facebook as Facebook doesn't hand over any account details to 3rd parties.
    The creepy part of Facebook is that Facebook can track users who don't have a Facebook account.  It is sufficient that there is Like button on a page, and Facebook sets a tracking cookie without asking permission
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 27 of 27
    cropr said:
    What I find strange (perhaps really creepy better describes it) is the section of advertisers that have uploaded my contact information to Facebook: "Review advertisers whose adverts you may see because you're in a contact list they uploaded to Facebook." When in the hell did I give anyone any permission to upload any information to Facebook? I'm so completely careful about that sort of shit, it really bothers me that companies (including Evernote!) have uploaded information about me to another company without my knowing this. How fucking creepy that someone who watches out for this shit is caught out, can you imagine the information they have on Joe and Jane Averagecitizen? It seems to run head long into data protection issues, I say this as someone who worked in my job daily to ensure that data protection laws were respected and honoured so highly there was never any chance of impropriety, let alone outright law breaking. Wow is all I can say.
    The advertiser must have obtained your contact details from another source.  The advertiser cannot get any details from Facebook as Facebook doesn't hand over any account details to 3rd parties.
    The creepy part of Facebook is that Facebook can track users who don't have a Facebook account.  It is sufficient that there is Like button on a page, and Facebook sets a tracking cookie without asking permission
    I never assumed it was Facebook that gave them the details, but at the same time it's creepy that they allow these advertisers to check against Facebook contact data their contact lists and advertise to those which match. It's like, Facebook tells them they'll say "yes, we know that person" to ones they share in common, but it's the "sharing" that bothers me, especially these companies to whom I never gave explicit permission, especially those of which I've never even heard and from whom I have never bought anything. It smacks of data protection violations.

As for Facebook and others of its ilk, I have extensions (Ublock and 1Blocker) that prevent tracking (how well they work, that's up for debate) and I use Cookie to remove unapproved cookies, so this is just plain weird. Curious how many other orgs are listed in their section - I had 9 organisations (including Evernote), just wondering if that's a lot or average or not many at all. I would imagine if people aren't diligent about tracking and privacy they might have 10s or 100s of companies listed in that section, all of whom are targeting them with specific ads, and most likely being rather successful at it.

In Facebook I use FBP (Fluff Busting Purity, formerly Facebook Purity) so I don't see ads, but that I think means they just aren't shown, they still get built, I just don't see them. Still, I hate they're mining and sharing information about me and putting personalised ads together to try and extract money from my wallet in very clever (creepy!) ways.