Photo hints at bigger, 334mAh battery in second-gen Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch
A photo uploaded on Sunday purportedly shows a 334 milliamp-hour battery destined for the second-generation Apple Watch, which would represent a small but significant improvement over the first-generation model.

The battery is specifically for a new 42-millimeter Watch, according to a post on China's Weibo. Current 42-millimeter models have a 246 milliamp-hour battery, which is typically enough to last a day as long as users don't engage in extended workouts or phone calls.

Although the authenticity of the leaked part can't be confirmed, the "Apple Watch 2" has sometimes been rumored as getting a battery upgrade, solving one of the biggest user complaints. Competing smartwatches often need to be recharged every day or two as well -- but some can last several days or more, such as ones from Garmin and Pebble.

The new product is expected to launch later this year, and could be announced as soon as Apple's Sept. 7 iPhone event, though an October reveal is also a possibility. Frequently accurate KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has suggested that Apple will offer two different models, the higher-end one including extras like GPS and a barometer. In fact, a bigger battery might be needed in that device just to keep longevity the same, given how draining GPS tracking can be.

Both new units will allegedly have new processors, as well as better waterproofing. At the moment, Apple recommends against taking Watches swimming or into the shower.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Does that mean 36 hours of non heroic use?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Now he's the "frequently accurate" analyst. 

Well when 90% of your statements are obvious, of course you're going to be "frequently accurate". 
    edited August 2016 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 28
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    How about (much) longer battery life for the 4.7" iPhone?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    What user complaint. Funny how it responds to a so called complaint, which I've never heard except in this thing.

How long the battery lasts is as dependent on features and how much they consume, so the whole thing is utterly void of information.
    nolamacguyAirunJae
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Personal Testimony
    42mm Apple Watch Sport owner here.

Normal daily use, including multiple workouts, navigation, consuming all incoming notifications, Apple Pay, voice-to-text replying, Digital Touch, but zero use of 3rd party apps because load times are infuriating.

By bedtime, midnight or after, my Apple Watch is still left with 20-40% battery life. 

Battery life has NEVER been an issue for my use case. My iPhone 6s on the other hand...
    jfc1138SolilolliverDeelronsricelkruppspice-boynolamacguybrucemc
  • Reply 6 of 28
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    repressthis said
    By bedtime, midnight or after, my Apple Watch is still left with 20-40% battery life. 
    Agreed, watch battery is fine, bigger batter probably there to support gps.
    lolliverjfc1138nolamacguydoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I've even tested it on a backpacking trip, which means putting it in Airplane Mode since my phone had no cellular connection. I can get several days out of a charge that way, and even more if I turn it off at night.

srice said:
    I'd like a higher capacity battery, but hopefully due to denser power storage over simply increasing the battery's size.
    edited August 2016 lolliverdoozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 28
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Templeton said:
    Does that mean 36 hours of non heroic use?
    NO, it's still 2-day usage because of added GPS and other features probably. Apple tends increase battery life for device at 0-10% at most each generation.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Soli said:
    I've even tested it on a backpacking trip, which means putting it in Airplane Mode since my phone had no cellular connection. I can get several days out of a charge that way, and even more if I turn it off at night.

srice said:
    I'd like a higher capacity battery, but hopefully due to denser power storage over simply increasing the battery's size.

Wouldnt we all love denser power storage lol
  • Reply 10 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:

A small battery with a relatively low volume would be the ideal market to test new battery tech.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

A small battery with a relatively low volume would be the ideal market to test new battery tech.
    SolidEnergy. Samsung has something similar but using graphene, may be shipping in the next few months.
    edited August 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 28
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    My watch battery lasts 1.5 days. I am not sure this is really needed. I would rather have a phone that lasts longer than 1/2 the day.
    kingofsomewherehotdoozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 28
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    okay whatever but battery life is the least of Apple Watch's problems. I like mine but usually put it to bed on the charger 70% charged each night. 
    nolamacguydoozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 28
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I can go pretty much 2 days on my Apple Watch Sport battery. I chuckle every time someone says the Apple Watch gets horrible battery life. I think they heard it from a review or something and just think it has bad battery life. I think a lot of the issues with the Apple Watch will be fixed in watchOS 2. One of the biggest things I see it needs is speed. Everything is very sluggish and slow to update which from the looks, is dramatically improved in watchOS 2. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 28
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    SolidEnergy. Samsung has something similar but using graphene, may be shipping in the next few months.
    Lol, well.... the one article I read on this mid last year said it would take "at least three years to bring to market". Sooooo, either- you consider mid 2018 (at the earliest) "the next few months", or you have some info to share about how they rapidly & under the radar pushed this through faster than anyone guessed- by about a 24 month margin??
    doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    Lol, well.... the one article I read on this mid last year said it would take "at least three years to bring to market". Sooooo, either- you consider mid 2018 (at the earliest) "the next few months", or you have some info to share about how they rapidly & under the radar pushed this through faster than anyone guessed- by about a 24 month margin??
    LOL? :/

"...the first of these batteries are expected in drones right away, in November 2016. Wearables, cell phones, and other small consumer electronics should start getting these types of batteries by 2017 if all goes well."
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/19/researchers-developed-lithium-batteries-twice-capacity-expect-ready-smartphones-2017/

(edited with better link)
    edited August 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 28
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    getting a battery upgrade, solving one of the biggest user complaints. 
    I think you mean one of the biggest "hater" complaints, not user complaints. every actual user I know has the same experience as me -- 40-60% battery left at bedtime. it gets better battery life than the device it's an accessory *to*. 

if you're charging your phone each nite as you sleep, there's no incurred hardship to charge you watch right next to it. none. 
    kingofsomewherehotradarthekatdoozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 28
    yeah... I'm with the group that gets 2 days out of my Apple Watch between charges.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 19 of 28
    I too charge every night and it's typically at 50% or more charge when I do so. No battery complaints here.

My other half used low power mode on hers when we went away into the wilderness for a long weekend and it stayed on for over 4 days (she didn't turn it off at night).
    It might be good if Apple offered multiple power modes, but I guess they don't want to water-down the experience.

I'm more looking forward to WatchOS3 for the speed increase in all honesty.

albegarcdoozydozen
  • Reply 20 of 28
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I swim and shower with mine all the time. I'm not even worried about. Mine has 30-40% charge at the end of the day.
    Solidoozydozen