Alleged 'iPhone 7' series specs could detail Apple's next-gen cameras

Posted:
in iPhone
An iPhone spec leaker has shed some information on the forthcoming "iPhone 7" release, reiterating some figures that have been suspected for some time -- and possibly exposing specific camera details for the first time.

According to the leak, the new "iPhone 7" and "iPhone 7 Plus" retain the same screen resolution of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. The processor on both new models is pegged as the A10, coupled with the M10 motiuon processor.

RAM on the smaller "iPhone 7" is said to be 2 gigabytes of LPDDR4, with 3 gigabytes on the "iPhone 7 Plus." The battery is said to be boosted on both, with a 1960 mAh battery on the "iPhone 7," and a 2910 mAh battery on the "iPhone 7 Plus."

The camera on the "iPhone 7" is said to be a 12-megapixel unit, with a 1/2.6" sensor (versus 1/3" on the iPhone 6s), ?/1.9 aperture (versus 2.2), and 1.3 ?m pixels.

The dual-lens camera often rumored for the "iPhone 7 Plus" is seemingly confirmed, with a pair of 12-megapixel cameras, each said to have a 1/3" sensor, and a ?/1.9 aperture. The leaker declined to give specifications for pixel size.

The leaker broadcast the information Chinese microblogging service Weibo, and is said to have been generally accurate with specification leaks in the past by Techtastic.

Previous rumors have labeled the fall 2016 iPhone as both a "iPhone 7" and "iPhone 6 SE," with the latter rumor seemingly reinforced by packaging leaks of questionable accuracy on Wednesday..

The new "iPhone 7" is expected to be slightly thinner design than the iPhone 6 family, made possible by removing the analog headphone jack. The larger 5.5-inch "Plus" variant has been said for some time to feature a dual-lens camera design, and 3GB of application RAM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I just want to see Apple's demo of what they're going to do with two cameras...
    TurboPGTDarth Siduxnolamacguybrian greendoozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 2 of 14
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Looking forward to this new Plus. I for one am glad they are sticking with the same Displays. They have always been high quality, and now they have had time to mature as well. The graphics capability of the A10 will no doubt make the Plus screen even smoother and more responsive than the previous two iterations, and the App Store has finally caught up to a point where almost all iPhone Apps support the 6 and 6 Plus resolutions. With millions of Apps it takes a long long time to get there. There is no user-advantage to changing the resolution every year, or even every 2 years.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,280member
    Me too!

My guess for this morning is:

1. Two identical lenses
    2. the two sensors will focus on somewhat different ranges of the color spectrum
    3. the SOC will instantaneously combine the images into a photo that is very sharp with amazing color
    4. the photo will have some 3d-ish aspects to it, at least when viewed on the latest high-end Apple displays
    5. improved digital zoom 
    doozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 4 of 14
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    blastdoor said:
    Me too!

1. Two identical lenses
    2. the two sensors will focus on somewhat different ranges of the color spectrum
    3. the SOC will instantaneously combine the images into a photo that is very sharp with amazing color
    4. the photo will have some 3d-ish aspects to it, at least when viewed on the latest high-end Apple displays
    5. improved digital zoom 
    I'm definitely into the smaller phone, but a 3D component in the dual camera might make me jump to the Plus. That's pretty cool tech, if true.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 14
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

The new "iPhone 7" is expected to be slightly thinner design than the iPhone 6 family, made possible by removing the analog headphone jack
    Is this on the package too, or added editorial by the author?

Sorry but this seems like an added statement designed to inflame debate and generate clicks, and has no place in this article. A "slightly thinner" design wouldn't necessarily require the removal of the headphone jack. It would have to be reduced to half the thickness of the current phone to necessitate the removal for not being able to fit (so hardly "slightly thinner"). And while the removal of the headphone jack frees up a lot of space to spread out other components possibly resulting in a thinner design, it's also unlikely Apple is removing the headphone jack merely to achieve a "slightly thinner" design. 
    TurboPGTdoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    For those that may have missed reading news on one of Apple's acquisitions and what it may have to do with this.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/04/14/apple-buys-dslr-quality-camera-tech-with-20m-acquisition-of-israeli-firm-linx-imaging
    brian green
  • Reply 7 of 14
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    agreed, the headphone jack removal is far more likely about internal volume, since it is one of the larger single components. they could go thinner still with the jack retained as the touch and other phones shows. 

silly comment coming from AI, you'd think the writers would know better. or at least as much as the readers. 
    edited August 2016 radarthekatdoozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mac_128 said:

The new "iPhone 7" is expected to be slightly thinner design than the iPhone 6 family, made possible by removing the analog headphone jack
    Is this on the package too, or added editorial by the author?

Sorry but this seems like an added statement designed to inflame debate and generate clicks, and has no place in this article. A "slightly thinner" design wouldn't necessarily require the removal of the headphone jack. It would have to be reduced to half the thickness of the current phone to necessitate the removal for not being able to fit (so hardly "slightly thinner"). And while the removal of the headphone jack frees up a lot of space to spread out other components possibly resulting in a thinner design, it's also unlikely Apple is removing the headphone jack merely to achieve a "slightly thinner" design. 
    There definitely is a lot of convolution over the "reason" for removal of the jack..as if it needs to be justified at all. To me its just the natural evolution of something that is antiquated and unnecessary, and with its removal come any number of benefits. The possible benefits, in no particular order, include: thinner device, more battery, more waterproof, better audio quality, stronger device frame, better internal structure and layout. The answer to which is probably "all of the above", even if it is not immediately obvious to the user.

doozydozenlolliver
  • Reply 9 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    igorsky said:
    blastdoor said:
    Me too!

1. Two identical lenses
    5. improved digital zoom 
    I'm definitely into the smaller phone, but a 3D component in the dual camera might make me jump to the Plus. That's pretty cool tech, if true.
    The new Huawei Honor V8 uses it's dual camera setup for a "3D effect" as one of it's features. But they also stopped using the Leica lens array so they both giveth and taketh away. Why might this be more pertinent than it appears? Apple is supposedly paying Huawei several hundred $Million each year for license to certain IP in addition to giving Huawei a license to around 100 Apple patents. Dual lens camera tech might be mixed in with some of the intellectual property.  
    edited August 2016 brian greendoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 14

blastdoor said:
    Me too!

1. Two identical lenses
    5. improved digital zoom 
    I'm somewhat a photo enthusiast but I know very little about dual lens implementations.

How is this different from what HDR accomplishes? Similar, but better?
    How much depth of field can really be accomplished in a 2D image?
    How does this improve digital zoom? 

Thanks!
    doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    blastdoor said:
    Me too!

1. Two identical lenses
    5. improved digital zoom 
    Might two lenses offer better optical zoom? Each lens with different focal points?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 14
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    The most likely use of the two lenses, it seems to me, would be as a way to virtually increase the sensor size by integrating two near identical images from small sensors and processing their output so as to reduce noise in low light situations.  This would be to get around the problem that the larger the sensor, the larger and deeper the lens stack needed to illuminate it.  Given the trend to unnecessary thinness, this would be a way to increase low light performance without making the phone thicker.  So I doubt the lenses will have different focal lengths.
    edited August 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 14
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    gatorguy said:
    igorsky said:
    blastdoor said:
    Me too!

1. Two identical lenses
    5. improved digital zoom 
    The new Huawei Honor V8 uses it's dual camera setup for a "3D effect" as one of it's features. But they also stopped using the Leica lens array so they both giveth and taketh away. Why might this be more pertinent than it appears? Apple is supposedly paying Huawei several hundred $Million each year for license to certain IP in addition to giving Huawei a license to around 100 Apple patents. Dual lens camera tech might be mixed in with some of the intellectual property.  
    As you already posted, I think Apple's camera tech is based on their aquisition of LinX: http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/04/14/apple-buys-dslr-quality-camera-tech-with-20m-acquisition-of-israeli-firm-linx-imaging
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 14 of 14
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    The cameras are far too close together to create a useable 3D image.

doozydozen