Apple sends invitations for 'iPhone 7' event on Sept. 7: 'See you on the 7th'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:
    All the rumors suggest the new watch will mostly be just a "spec bump". 
    Most of the rumors I've seen say it will get GPS.  I run most days and don't have a place for my phone, I tried my pocket and an armband but I didn't like it.  I bought a Garmin Forerunner watch that basically doesn't do anything more than tell time and track your runs.  I've been waiting for the Apple watch to get GPS and be fully waterproof, which is exactly what the rumors have been reporting.
    Right, but GPS is as major a feature as the dual cameras, which rumors you're lumping into "mostly a spec bump". Some people couldn't care less about GPS.

Fully waterproof is also more of a "spec" bump considering the watches current performance in the water. But I'll believe this rumor when I see it. If there are no substantial design changes to the Watch as rumored, it's going to be hard to effectively increase the water-resistance significantly. Glueing the thing together is the main issue with water-resistance over time, and inability to test and repair it. They can ensure manufacturing standards are higher such that fewer potentially water-compromised units go out the door, but it's going to need gasket seals and a way to maintenance them for any significant improvement, which is no small engineering feat, and not really worth doing if they aren't redesigning the watch. 
  • Reply 42 of 89
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    I wait for the Aq processor.
  • Reply 43 of 89
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    mac-daddy said:
    This is so disappointing. Plenty of us drive non-bluetooth-enabled cars that we plug an aux cord into the headphone jack and car charger into the lightning port.

Apple Music absolutely drains your battery by the way, so on long road trips I won't be able to listen to music now and simultaneously charge my phone. 

Hate to say it, but this is the first time in 4 years that I won't be upgrading my iPhone. neutral 

EDIT - *Waits for the trolls to tell me to buy a new car*
    What about me? I'm Amish and still drive a horse-drawn buggy. What about my plight? Does Apple not care?
    nolamacguymike1topper24hours
  • Reply 44 of 89
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    mtbnut said:
    mac-daddy said:
    This is so disappointing. Plenty of us drive non-bluetooth-enabled cars that we plug an aux cord into the headphone jack and car charger into the lightning port.

Apple Music absolutely drains your battery by the way, so on long road trips I won't be able to listen to music now and simultaneously charge my phone. 

Hate to say it, but this is the first time in 4 years that I won't be upgrading my iPhone. neutral 

What about me? I'm Amish and still drive a horse-drawn buggy. What about my plight? Does Apple not care?
    Yeah, that's the same.
  • Reply 45 of 89
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Does anyone else see the dots on the image depicts 2 eyes, subtly? I know it also represents the top of the Apple logo, but those 2 extra dots below really seem to be there on purpose to give an idea of 2 eyes, which plays nicely with "See you".
    Computer vision?
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 46 of 89
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    I hope the invite isn't a window into what the event will be like. Looks like something someone put together in a few minutes.
    yes, they're going to just slap it together. roll eyes

the image looks great, and not at all like it took a few minutes. In fact, I'll give you a $100 iTunes gift card if you can replicate this image in under 5 minutes. up for it?
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 47 of 89
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    macapfel said:
    "See you" means iPhone looks at you(r Retina) and unlocks?
    It is a possibility, or something more evolved like computer vision.
    Interestingly every time I look at the picture it seems to depict 2 eyes
  • Reply 48 of 89
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    volcan said:
    gatorguy said:

Buy a new car or rip out the old radio and install a new entertainment/display unit so you can use your new iPhone? Seems a bit extreme but if money is no object that can certainly work.
    I think it is a good idea to lease a new car every three years anyway. Upgraded safety features, better fuel/hybrid/electric options and three years is usually covered with free maintenance, After about three years is when you are going to start spending money on tires, brakes, battery and other miscellaneous parts.
    My car is 15 years old. I'm considering adding a CarPlay receiver. I don't like making payments on things so I buy cars for cash. 
  • Reply 49 of 89
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    xmhillx said:
    The dark theme hints at a dark mode maybe?
    And the colored bubbles looks like the Siri animation, so heavy updates to Siri?
    It's what I'm thinking 
    If Apple switches their displays to OLED they will redesign for a darker UI
    I think we expand the logic to know that Apple is likely moving to OLED if WWDC shows a new UI with a lot of black months before new HW with OLED displays are on the market
  • Reply 50 of 89
    mac-daddy said:

we're not trolls to tell you about other options. obviously a BT-enabled head unit is the first thing that comes to mind. but I also have to wonder why you don't believe Apple has the tech chops to introduce any sort of "adapter" technology which you could utilize on your road trip use case....?

were also not trolls to let you know that Apple has not been one to keep old tech around for legacy use cases, and instead always pushes forward. eventually everyone does it the way they did and no one cares about the old way anymore. this will be the same. 
    edited August 2016 radarthekatxmhillx
  • Reply 51 of 89
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    thrang said:
    The image is pretty clearly a reference to bokeh, an aesthetic blur in photography usually achieved with high quality optics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh And its of the upper quarter of the Apple logo...
    Perfect! Thats it. Thank you for the observation. 7th Heaven for me at least --

I'm upgrading my 6, iPad Mini --> to 2 iPad Pros (large and medium sized)  and an iMac... on Black Friday, tho.
  • Reply 52 of 89
    gatorguy said:
    volcan said:
    mac-daddy said:

What car do you drive? Does it have a DIN or double DIN radio? If so you can upgrade that and even get CarPlay. But, for someone who can afford a new iPhone every year you should be able to swing a car payment in there. 
    Buy a new car or rip out the old radio and install a new entertainment/display unit so you can use your new iPhone? Seems a bit extreme but if money is no object that can certainly work.
    more FUD nonsense. one doesn't need an entire double DIN display just to get Bluetooth, you can get a cheapass car stereo at Target with it for 100 bucks. volcan was telling him he could get CarPlay if he so desired with a double DIN. and he also suggested an adapter as a low cost (and obvious) option. 

but it you knew that. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 53 of 89
    I hope the invite isn't a window into what the event will be like. Looks like something someone put together in a few minutes.
    Clearly Apple should have consulted you first.
  • Reply 54 of 89
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    On Sept 7th, there will be at least 777 whiners on the forum complaining about the new phone or about something else that Apple should have done or released, you can bet on it. :#

I'm not in the market for a new phone right now, but I'm looking forward to seeing what else Apple has to announce next week. Bring it on! :)
  • Reply 55 of 89
    mac-daddy said:

Why can't you not buy a new iPhone right away if the device doesn't have the features that you want, not buy the iPhone 7 Plus model (which is reportedly the only model getting the change this year), or buy an adapter when they are available (which will also afford you the minor convenience of only having to plug in a Lightning connector into your phone to get it to connect to power and analog audio out)? Is it fair to expect that technology comes to a halt because you're using old tech in other parts of your life?

edited August 2016
  • Reply 56 of 89
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Falling asleep at the wheel driving to the Cupertino HQ?
  • Reply 57 of 89
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    wreighven said:
    So Apple is saying "C U Next Tuesday?"  Pretty cheeky.
    Except that the 7th is a Wednesday.
    radarthekatwreighvenrealjustinlong
  • Reply 58 of 89
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member

Good eye. It almost certainly is the upper corner of the logo. 
    you got it right, the leaf and rounded parts of the apple logo. 
  • Reply 59 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    volcan said:
    mac-daddy said:

What car do you drive? Does it have a DIN or double DIN radio? If so you can upgrade that and even get CarPlay. But, for someone who can afford a new iPhone every year you should be able to swing a car payment in there. 
    more FUD nonsense. one doesn't need an entire double DIN display just to get Bluetooth, you can get a cheapass car stereo at Target with it for 100 bucks. volcan was telling him he could get CarPlay if he so desired with a double DIN. and he also suggested an adapter as a low cost (and obvious) option. 

but it you knew that. 
    That's NOT all he suggested, as should have been clear from his courteous and respectful reply to my comment. The parts I questioned, and which he did not disagree with, were what I thought were the extreme ones. But you knew that. :/ Don't make things into something they are not. It wasn't an attack on Apple so at ease soldier. 
    edited August 2016 Soli
  • Reply 60 of 89
    It's funny how every year people complain that Apple isn't making enough radical moves with the iPhone, but when there is evidence they will finally start dropping a decades-old connector in favor of a modern solution and will be able to use that significant space and edge "real estate" for something else, people complain. Why not just let a company do what it's going to do and then decide then if you want to support that company with your wallet or not?
    radarthekatxmhillx