Apple sends invitations for 'iPhone 7' event on Sept. 7: 'See you on the 7th'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mac-daddy said:
    This is so disappointing. Plenty of us drive non-bluetooth-enabled cars that we plug an aux cord into the headphone jack and car charger into the lightning port.

Apple Music absolutely drains your battery by the way, so on long road trips I won't be able to listen to music now and simultaneously charge my phone. 

Hate to say it, but this is the first time in 4 years that I won't be upgrading my iPhone. neutral 

EDIT - *Waits for the trolls to tell me to buy a new car*
    Technology moves fast. Adapters and third party Bluetooth units help. Apple isn't going retain old tech forever. 

That said, wireless earbuds should be included. 
    xmhillx
  • Reply 62 of 89
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jungmark said:
    mac-daddy said:
    This is so disappointing. Plenty of us drive non-bluetooth-enabled cars that we plug an aux cord into the headphone jack and car charger into the lightning port.

Apple Music absolutely drains your battery by the way, so on long road trips I won't be able to listen to music now and simultaneously charge my phone. 

Hate to say it, but this is the first time in 4 years that I won't be upgrading my iPhone. neutral 

That said, wireless earbuds should be included. 
    I sure hope not.
  • Reply 63 of 89
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    thrang said:
    The image is pretty clearly a reference to bokeh, an aesthetic blur in photography usually achieved with high quality optics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh And its of the upper quarter of the Apple logo...
    Very good!
  • Reply 64 of 89
    Well, at least this will dispel that iPhone 6 SE nonsense going around. Should solidify that iPhone 7 is indeed the name.
    This year the iPhone 7, next year the iPhone 8...not a big deal, that 'S/SE' designation is not the law!
  • Reply 65 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    1983 said:
    This year the iPhone 7, next year the iPhone 8...not a big deal, that 'S/SE' designation is not the law!
    Oh boy, you’re in for it now.
  • Reply 66 of 89
    It is unusual for Apple to use a photo rather than a graphic to advertise a keynote. I can understand why they're doing it this time around. But still...it looks less sophisticated/professional and somewhat rushed.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 67 of 89
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    I'm not even upgrading this year, yet I'm excited as fuck to watch the keynote. I watch them every year. I'm on the legacy AT&T unlimited data plan and I renew every 2 years, so 2017 is the phone I'll be getting, but I'm still interested in what they'll do this year. It could be a disappointment. Or they could surprise everyone. The anticipation hahahah
  • Reply 68 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    1983 said:
    It is unusual for Apple to use a photo rather than a graphic to advertise a keynote.
    What makes you think it’s a photo? It could just as well be a wholly created image.
  • Reply 69 of 89
    foggyhill said:
    mac_128 said:
    I'm more excited for a new watch than phone, I really hope they announce a new watch too on the 7th.  I'll probably keep my iPhone 6 if it's mostly a spec bump.
    All the rumors suggest the new watch will mostly be just a "spec bump". 
    Most of the rumors I've seen say it will get GPS.  I run most days and don't have a place for my phone, I tried my pocket and an armband but I didn't like it.  I bought a Garmin Forerunner watch that basically doesn't do anything more than tell time and track your runs.  I've been waiting for the Apple watch to get GPS and be fully waterproof, which is exactly what the rumors have been reporting.
    Good grief, it's waterproof enough for running now, people are swimming with them... In the Ocean.
    As for running, if your only tracking pace, the watch is as precise as the GPS (which have a 30 meter margins of error even if you have a good view of the sky and takes time to lock on if you don''t have a cell chip (which will be the case here). I never understood this fascination of using GPS for running.  The GPS is more interesting in this case for other possible functions in the watch than these.
    I never said I only needed it to be waterproof for the purposes of running, I have a swimming pool.  And no, I'm not dumb enough to risk a $400 device swimming with it when Apple expressly says NOT to do that.  And I don't know where you get the evidence for your claim that it's just as accurate as GPS, Runner's World and other reputable publications report that it's quite inaccurate (when not paired) when testing against known distance compared to GPS enabled devices.

No reason to viciously defend Apple here, it's the first release of their first watch, I'm not bashing them.  I'm just saying I'm looking forward to some additional features.
  • Reply 70 of 89
    mike1 said:
    wreighven said:
    So Apple is saying "C U Next Tuesday?"  Pretty cheeky.
    Except that the 7th is a Wednesday.
    Hah!  Calendar fail on my part.  CUNW is not as funny.  I'm leaving the original up.  Cheers!
  • Reply 71 of 89
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    gatorguy said:
    Buy a new car or rip out the old radio and install a new entertainment/display unit so you can use your new iPhone? Seems a bit extreme but if money is no object that can certainly work.
    A car that doesn't have bluetooth is not likely to have an "entertainment/display unit" but a conventional car radio.
    Sure but DIN has been an ISO standard for many years, however lots of manufacturers completely ignore those specifications. If you are lucky enough that your conventional car radio without BT complies with the DIN standard, which after all is just a specific size opening in the dash, then upgrading to a modern display and CarPlay is entirely possible.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 72 of 89
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    welshdog said:

My car is 15 years old. I'm considering adding a CarPlay receiver. I don't like making payments on things so I buy cars for cash. 
    That's cool. I had a pretty serious accident a number of years ago so the latest safety features are really important, like with the new cars that have auto breaking, lane departure warning, blind spot warning and dozens of air bags, is appealing to me. My car even predicts an imminent impact and instantly rolls up the windows unlocks the doors, turns on the flashers and communicates my location to emergency services. Plus when the car companies are offering things like zero interest and zero downpayment, it makes sense to not spend my own funds all at once when I can use their money.
    Soli
  • Reply 73 of 89
    Not sure I am thrilled.  The 7plus looks good.  But for me - too big.  The iPhone 7...the lack of 2 antenna bars
    and a better camera...WTF.  Super surprised they didn't remove some features to compensate for the huge upgrade (If there is a sarcasm emoji - I would place it here @)
  • Reply 74 of 89
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    The image certainly represent Bokeh. I am pretty sure camera is the focus this year. Pun intended.
  • Reply 75 of 89
    mac-daddy said:

You're assuming there will be no headphone to lightning converter w/ pass through charging...
  • Reply 76 of 89
    Soli said:
    mac-daddy said:

Why can't you not buy a new iPhone right away if the device doesn't have the features that you want, not buy the iPhone 7 Plus model (which is reportedly the only model getting the change this year), or buy an adapter when they are available (which will also afford you the minor convenience of only having to plug in a Lightning connector into your phone to get it to connect to power and analog audio out)? Is it fair to expect that technology comes to a halt because you're using old tech in other parts of your life?

Lol, wut??! You are the ONLY one claiming that only the 7 Plus will be losing the headphone jack & not the 7.... literally every single source, rumor, and supposed leak has shown both models losing the headphone jack. 
  • Reply 77 of 89
    Soli said:
    Why can't you not buy a new iPhone right away if the device doesn't have the features that you want, not buy the iPhone 7 Plus model (which is reportedly the only model getting the change this year), or buy an adapter when they are available (which will also afford you the minor convenience of only having to plug in a Lightning connector into your phone to get it to connect to power and analog audio out)? Is it fair to expect that technology comes to a halt because you're using old tech in other parts of your life?

Lol, wut??! You are the ONLY one claiming that only the 7 Plus will be losing the headphone jack & not the 7.... literally every single source, rumor, and supposed leak has shown both models losing the headphone jack. 
    No, this has been thrown out there for awhile, and even while I don't think it's going to happen since I believe an entirely new lineup needs to be in-line with each model, there is also no reason that it technically couldn't. But that's beside the point—if you feel that a 3.5mm headphone jack is important than don't buy a new iPhone.

While you're at it look up iPhone 7 Pro and Smart Connector, both of which are rumors that will add variety to the lineup and and give an additional method by which an iPhone can be charged, respectively.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 78 of 89
    Soli said:
    It's funny how every year people complain that Apple isn't making enough radical moves with the iPhone, but when there is evidence they will finally start dropping a decades-old connector in favor of a modern solution and will be able to use that significant space and edge "real estate" for something else, people complain. Why not just let a company do what it's going to do and then decide then if you want to support that company with your wallet or not?

You do realise that your suggestion is too logical for most people to follow, right?
    Solixmhillx
  • Reply 79 of 89
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Wallet open and waiting.
  • Reply 80 of 89
    bluefire1 said:
    Wallet open and waiting.
    My thumb is dry and ready to use Apple Pay.
    edited August 2016 alcstarheel