Rumor: 'iPhone 7' will come in five colors, including a new glossy black option

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2016
With just over a week until Apple is expected to take the wraps off of its next-generation iPhone, a new report claims that the device will actually come in two shades of black --?a traditional matte, as well as a glossy option resembling the late 2013 Mac Pro desktop.

The details were shared on Tuesday by Macotakara, which showed a series of SIM trays in five different colors. Three of them are already a part of Apple's current iPhone 6s lineup: silver, gold, and rose gold.

Earlier rumors suggested Apple plans to replace the current space gray iPhone shade with a darker space black. That would harken back to the iPhone 5, the last time Apple released a handset with a black casing.

But rather than just one black model, Apple could in fact be releasing two such variants of this year's "iPhone 7," the SIM trays suggest. The image shows a standard metal black option, as well as a new glossy black version.

Tuesday's report referred to the new shade as a "beautiful gloss similar to the Mac Pro" that was released in 2013. That cylindrical desktop features an all-metal casing but with a glossy finish.

Apple has had glossy iPhone finishes before, though not all black metal. Black glass was found on the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s, while black plastic encased the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3Gs. A combination of matte black metal and glossy black glass edges were used on the iPhone 5, though Apple switched to space gray starting with the iPhone 5s.

Apple confirmed on Monday that it will hold a media presentation next Wednesday, Sept. 7, to unveil new products. It is there that the company is widely expected to unveil its next-generation "iPhone 7," along with a second-generation Apple Watch, and new wireless earbuds that may be dubbed "AirPods."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So the 'black' phone will be glossy but the others will be matte? I'm skeptical about that. Perhaps they had to do something different with this model so it wouldn't easily scratch and get dinged up? The 'black' iPhone 5 didn't hold up so well in this respect.
    doozydozenbrakken
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Glossy black? Take my money,
  • Reply 3 of 20
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Unsurprising, given that this iPhone likely will look just like the last two. guess which color is likely to be the most popular ...
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 4 of 20
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    The glossy black sounds gorgeous but in practice, man, that thing must scratch up like a mofo.
    TurboPGTDeelrondoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 20
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    When do we get the first stories about how they're having quality control issues with the new finish?

TurboPGTnolamacguydoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 20
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    mac_128 said:
    Unsurprising, given that this iPhone likely will look just like the last two. guess which color is likely to be the most popular ...
    The antennae system looks completely different, the back is smooth and seamless instead of cut up, the bottom looks different with no 3.5mm jack, the Home Button will look slightly different with its other changes.

Exactly how much has to change before it doesn't "look just like the last two"?

It still a rectangle with an aluminum and glass body and single button on the bottom front and a slit on the top front. I guess it looks just like every iPhone ever made then, eh?

This false narrative has gotten really annoying.
    edited August 2016 Deelronnolamacguypatchythepiratedoozydozenfastasleeppscooter63brucemcanome
  • Reply 7 of 20
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    So the 'black' phone will be glossy but the others will be matte? I'm skeptical about that. Perhaps they had to do something different with this model so it wouldn't easily scratch and get dinged up? The 'black' iPhone 5 didn't hold up so well in this respect.
    Did you read the article or look at the picture?

2 black models. 1 matte, 1 glossy. At least according to this piece.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Didn't they have an iPod Shuffle that had a matte and glossy silver option?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    TurboPGT said:
    Did you read the article or look at the picture?

2 black models. 1 matte, 1 glossy. At least according to this piece.
    So Apple is adding 3 new color options on a phone design that most likely will be completely different next year? That seems even more odd to me. I wonder if perhaps they were testing both options and only one will be available for sale (which ever one holds up to wear and tear the best).
  • Reply 10 of 20
    I just have to pre-order both the glossy and the matte black and decide which one to keep!  I am so excited now for Sept. 7th to come!  Wow - two blacks!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Happy to see at least one black iPhone back in the mix however the shiny one has got my attention. 
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I'd like a suede-y, rubbery finish...so I don't have to put a case on it! :)

doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I'd like a suede-y, rubbery finish...so I don't have to put a case on it! :)

That wears off over time. Ask older ThinkPad or Newton owners. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 20
    I laughed when I read "the late 2013 Mac Pro". Sounds like it's dead or passed away or something. Well, I guess that's kinda true...
    razormaid
  • Reply 15 of 20
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    ... a glossy option resembling the late 2013 Mac Pro desktop.
    Perfect.  I'd even pay a little more for that option.
    (Especially if it has a DLC coating like the Space Black  Watch.)
    doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 20
    sog35 said:
    nice. I wish they did the dark blue also.
    I want 2 if they make that dark blue!  GRIN 
  • Reply 17 of 20
    spice-boy said:
    Happy to see at least one black iPhone back in the mix however the shiny one has got my attention. 
    I guess "Black Phones Matter"
    (sorry I couldn't resist!)
  • Reply 18 of 20
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I really like Apple's Space-Grey, I think its their classiest shade. I wish they'd offer a darker version of it (like that used on the 5S) on the 7 rather than matte black...if you want black go for the glossy version. Anyway all will be revealed in about a week, so we'll see then what they actually came up with.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    right on... called for this for a long time.. a solid monolith looking glossy back and front.. Sweet !